Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Create-a-Unit Part 7.5 - Figure Submission (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=18113)

Larmo May 6th, 2008 10:12 PM

Create-a-Unit Part 7.5 - Figure Submission

Hello, and welcome to the Create-a-Unit Part 7.5 thread! In this thread, we will submit figures. Now for this one, there are a few things that you have to do.

The figure has to be a decent price.
It must be prepainted.
You have to be sure it will fit on a base of some kind.
You have to at least provide some form of picture of the figure.
You have to be able to provide a link of where you can buy it.
You have to post the game the figure is from and its name (if any).
Although not required, a picture with the figure next to some official figures would be nice.

Ok, that should be about it. So, start submitting!

The reason there was no cost poll was because 90 was the only cost submitted.

The results of the previous polls are

Squad
Vydar
Anti-Bonding

Doggins
Unique
Tricky
Hunters

Two members
Life-1
Move-7
Range-1
Attack-2
Defense-5

Sense Weakness
After a turn in which an unrevealed order marker is removed from an army card, you may immediately take a turn with <unit>. <units> may only attack a figure that had an unrevealed order marker removed from its card during this turn.

Loyalty Shred
Whenever an opponent has a unit with an ability containing the word "Bonding" in it within fours spaces of a Doggin Hunter that you control activates their "Bonding" ability, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, negate that ability during this turn.

Disengage

90 points

johnny139 May 6th, 2008 10:24 PM

Re: Create-a-Unit Part 5 - Stats Poll

Psst - 1Mmirg's and mine are the same thing.

Larmo May 6th, 2008 10:26 PM

:shock: I didn't even notice. Oh well, I'll update the main post, and all of the votes for those two will be added together.

ganondorf557 May 6th, 2008 11:53 PM

Unless i am wrond Necro and Eagle have the same stats to.

NecroBlade May 7th, 2008 12:10 AM

I didn't say 8/1/2/3...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NecroBlade (Post 549694)
2 Doggins

Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 6

Larmo May 9th, 2008 01:42 PM

Re: Create-a-Unit Part 5.5 - Abilities discussion

Ok, the poll is done, and the winner is johnny139! Now, this thread will be used for discussing the abilities our unit will have. Here are my suggestions.

Disengage
Since a lot of bonding armies tend to swarm, these guys should be able to disengage to get out of there.

Hunt (needs a better name)
Whenever an enemy unit activates a power with bonding in its name, you may immediately take a turn with (unit).

My submission for the anti-bonding ability. They need an ability so they can do something once they get were they are going though.

johnny139 May 9th, 2008 03:52 PM

Hooray me! I'm very happy - with a three man squad I probably would have gone for stats with less defense, but with only two figures AND being unique, anything less than five would make them worthless.

I agree with Disengage. As for the other power...

Divide and Conquer
Whenever an enemy unit within clear sight of (unit) activates a power with bonding in its name, that unit's turn ends immediately.

...or something like that. Back in the Batman TNT trial, there was a lot of arguing about how "interrupt" turns work, so it would probably be a lot easier just to end the opponents turn.

And perhaps Dund bonding? I know, it would make drafting the same squad a counter draft, but perhaps just the ability to use his ability or something? Dund cripples the opponent, and his Dundlings make it so he can't be bonded with, either, effectively making it impossible to take a turn with that particular figure.

scorpiusx May 11th, 2008 01:27 AM

Already posted in part 3.5, but just as a reminder:

Expert Hunters

When a Doggin Hunter that you control attacks an enemy unit with an ability with the word "Bonding" in it, you may roll an additional die for attack.

Loyalty Shred

Whenever an opponent has a unit with an ability containing the word "Bonding" in it adjacent to a Doggin Hunter that you control activates their "Bonding" ability, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, negate that ability during this turn.

Pack Formation

After removing an Order Marker on a "Doggin Hunters" army card that you control, but before taking a turn with them, you may instead take a turn with any Doggin Hero that you control.

NecroBlade May 11th, 2008 02:22 PM

How about the Sense Weakness ability from my N'Kob entry into the custom common hero contest?

Sense Weakness
After a turn in which an unrevealed order marker is removed from an army card, you may immediately take a turn with <unit>. <units> may only attack a figure that had an unrevealed order marker removed from its card during this turn.

Dund Cripples the enemy, then this squad pounces on them. Pseudo-bonding (I don't think we should have real bonding, since that's what we're trying to disrupt). You could also add "or any figure that figure bonds with" or something in there to punish them further.

I like Disengage and Loyalty Shred below in addition.

johnny139 May 11th, 2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiusx (Post 554172)
Loyalty Shred

Whenever an opponent has a unit with an ability containing the word "Bonding" in it adjacent to a Doggin Hunter that you control activates their "Bonding" ability, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, negate that ability during this turn.

Hmm... since we only have two members, that seems a tad too unlikely. I suggest it should either within X spaces, or greater odds... 11 or higher, maybe?

That, in addition to Disengage and Sense Weakness. I think that would be best.

NecroBlade May 11th, 2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 554332)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiusx (Post 554172)
Loyalty Shred

Hmm... since we only have two members, that seems a tad too unlikely. I suggest it should either within X spaces, or greater odds... 11 or higher, maybe?

That, in addition to Disengage and Sense Weakness. I think that would be best.

I kinda like the 14 to Dund's 15, so what about making it within 4 spaces to Dund's 5? With only 2 members, it's still tough to cover a lot of ground.

scorpiusx May 11th, 2008 06:03 PM

I, too, beleive that it should have:

Necroblade's Sense Weakness
My Loyalty Shred
Larmo's Disengage

Also, configuring Loyalty Shred is perfectly welcome. I was under the impression at the time that this would be a common 3 person squad. So, having a range of 4 and the odds stay where they are at sounds pretty reasonable. With them being unique, I don't see them being very expensive.

Larmo May 14th, 2008 10:43 AM

Re: Create-a-Unit Part 6 - Abilities poll

Ok, the poll is up. And remember people, your votes have to be bolded for me to count them.

1Mmirg May 14th, 2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 553150)
Hooray me! I'm very happy - with a three man squad I probably would have gone for stats with less defense, but with only two figures AND being unique, anything less than five would make them worthless.

I'm glad yours won out as well, for obvious reasons :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiusx (Post 554508)
I, too, believe that it should have:

My Loyalty Shred
Larmo's Disengage

Also, configuring Loyalty Shred is perfectly welcome. I was under the impression at the time that this would be a common 3 person squad. So, having a range of 4 and the odds stay where they are at sounds pretty reasonable. With them being unique, I don't see them being very expensive.

I agree with this, as long as we are using Necro's mod to scorpiusx's Shred.

So:

Modified Loyalty Shred (Whenever an opponent activates a unit with a "Bonding" ability within 4 spaces of a Doggin Hunter that you control, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, negate that ability during this turn.)

Larmo's Disengage

Great stuff here. I love the way that Necro's ability creates a new kind of bonding that is very thematic. Smart.

NecroBlade May 14th, 2008 11:48 AM

What 1Mmirg said.

Sense Weakness
Loyalty Shred
Disengage

johnny139 May 14th, 2008 06:00 PM

I think we're all in agreement here. :D

Loyalty Shred (the modified version)
Sense Weakness
Disengage

500points May 14th, 2008 06:43 PM

Divide and Conquer
Sense Weakness
Pack Formation

This should make them pretty good. I hope these guys are 90 points.
They might be to powerful for 90 points though.

Larmo May 19th, 2008 05:51 PM

Re: Create-a-Unit Part 6.5 - Cost Submission

The winners of the poll are
Disengage
Loyalty Shred
Sense Weakness
Now this thread will be used for cost submissions, check the first post for details.

NecroBlade May 19th, 2008 05:55 PM

I've gotta go with 90 to make an even 200 with Dund.

1Mmirg May 19th, 2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NecroBlade (Post 561173)
I've gotta go with 90 to make an even 200 with Dund.

I'm with you on this. I think only have 2 of them and being unique the cost might be justified (they are lower defense than the Zettians, but have much cooler and more powerful abilities--plus movement...). It is a hard call, but being unique is a limit that helps balance the cost.

I'd love to playtest them (if life allowed such things right now...), but my initial reaction is 90 as well.

johnny139 May 19th, 2008 06:50 PM

Well, using JEB's Theoretical Cost Breakdown thingy, I came out to about 95 without factoring in the squad size or anything... so a squad of two + Unique could possibly even bring things lower. But without playtesting, I think I'll go with the common consensus of 90 Points being best.

...but I'll hold out on voting for a little while, to see other ideas.

Oh, and one more thing. Do we have any idea what size these babies will be? Small? Medium? Large? Double Spaced? Single Spaced?

NecroBlade May 19th, 2008 07:40 PM

Large Double, like Dund, I would assume. Excellent question, though.

Larmo May 21st, 2008 07:30 PM

Re: Create-a-Unit Part 7.5 - Figure Submission

OK, we are up to the figure submission. Check the first post for details. :D
Price poll was skipped because there was only one price submission.

johnny139 May 22nd, 2008 04:55 PM

I browsed D&D Miniatures, and here's a few I found. Not many that really fit... but the most recent is Desert of Desolation #36 - Shadow Mastiff. It's dog like, black, kinda mutant looking, and pretty cheap - only a dollar or two on eBay. I can't find too many good pictures, though...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/do...ow_Mastiff.jpg

Then there's the Night Below #19 - Greater Basilisk. Not as dog-like, but he's purple, and has the same spine thing as Dund. A tad more expensive... $3.00, give or take.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/NB...r_Basilisk.jpg

Blood War #49 - Ethereal Marauder might work... it really depends on what we want to consider a Doggin. He has the same color sceme and all, and definitely fits in with Dund, but he's definitely not canine. $1.00 - $2.00.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/BW_Gallery/49.jpg

War of the Dragon Queen #29 - Displacer Beast Pack Lord. Is a kitty, but very mutant and would probably fit in. Roughly $4.00, though... steeper.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/DQ...stPackLord.jpg

Just to note - I have NO idea how large any of these figures are. They may be too big or too small for a base, or be weird sized, or something... just spitting out ideas, really.

Larmo May 22nd, 2008 05:28 PM

I like the Greater Basilisk, but he looks difficult to get of the base, and maybe a bit to big to use on his base. I think he is the best of the lot though, the rest don't really look that doggin to me.

NecroBlade May 22nd, 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larmo (Post 563625)
I like the Greater Basilisk, but he looks difficult to get of the base, and maybe a bit to big to use on his base. I think he is the best of the lot though, the rest don't really look that doggin to me.

I have to agree. That's the closest so far.

johnny139 May 22nd, 2008 09:42 PM

Gah. Under a little search, it seems that the Greater Basilisk is a tad too big... and round...

http://www.ddmspoilers.com/nb_images/nb_ebay_01.jpg

Bottom left.

NecroBlade May 23rd, 2008 01:22 AM

Argh, so close!

1Mmirg May 26th, 2008 09:16 PM

One, less than fully appealing option certainly, would be a repaint of Dund. It would only take two, but I could see them as darker in color (even a heavy black wash might work).

In the meantime I will be looking at old MK figures I have. I haven't ever moved them off of their bases, but their larger Mount figures are about the right size to remount on a double-hex. I'll let you know if I find anything.

NecroBlade May 27th, 2008 12:27 AM

I've used Mage Knight Blood Demons on a "doggin" custom before:

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/images/f...O/MKSO_008.jpg

1Mmirg May 27th, 2008 12:31 PM

Those are pretty cool, Necro--very feral, but, hey, why not? I like. :)

Also, if they were repainted a closer color to Dund, they would have more affinity with his sculpt.

(I apologize, I didn't look through my MK figs last night after all--still getting caught up with work since I was away at a (working) conference all weekend...)

NecroBlade May 27th, 2008 12:38 PM

There's a gray version of the Blood Demon, too, that might be easier to repaint.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/images/f...O/MKSO_009.jpg

1Mmirg May 27th, 2008 12:53 PM

Good call, Necro. I think if the colors were close, that the other differences would be minimized. (And I really like the sculpt!)

This does raise the question of whether a double-base is necessary to these doggins or not? Did we vote on that or just assume it? I could see smaller doggins as an option that would be interesting... :ponder:

NecroBlade May 27th, 2008 01:02 PM

I would prefer to see them as double-based, just like Dund. These sculpts could easily be justified on a double base (their back legs hang off singles) or be modified for them (just put both sets of legs on the base instead of standing them at an angle).

1Mmirg May 27th, 2008 01:14 PM

Sure, I absolutely see double base working as well (with this or another figure), but was curious to hear thoughts on the reasons for it.

I think it would be kind of cool to have some smaller doggins on the field, though the big drawback is being too susceptible to special attacks that effect Small/Medium (most). Of course a figure can be Large and still be single based (especially if they overflow the single base as this figure does--and have some height/length to them).

What do you think is gained by making them double-based? Why do you want to see them that way? Just asking.

NecroBlade May 27th, 2008 01:38 PM

As you say, being susceptible to anti-small/medium powers is VERY bad for a unique squad of two, though I agree that these figures should be Large either way. Another reason is the double base allows for a slightly larger area of effect for their Loyalty Shred ability (4 spaces from either base).

Larmo May 27th, 2008 03:52 PM

I think that if their front two legs fit reasonably on a single base, it should be a single base. Official units don't have an extra space if their sculpts go off the edge.

EDIT: I'll start the poll tomorrow. Also, I'm only putting one from each person up. So, I'm assuming johnny wants to use the Shadow Mastiff unless he says otherwise.