Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Project (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Godzilla and friends (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56021)

MrNobody May 18th, 2020 10:54 AM

Re: Godzilla and friends

I like Kaiju as a species personally just cause thinking ahead, how many of these guys have clear and defined species? Like what is Mothra? A Moth/Insect? An Entity/Deity? The Pacific Rim monsters I’m pretty sure explicitly are called Kaiju as a species as well.

It just makes a lot of sense to me to have Kaiju (an easy catch-all tag for all these guys) as a species, and then have their class represent what they actually spend their time doing.

IAmBatman May 18th, 2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2385080)
I like Kaiju as a species personally just cause thinking ahead, how many of these guys have clear and defined species? Like what is Mothra? A Moth/Insect? An Entity/Deity? The Pacific Rim monsters Iím pretty sure explicitly are called Kaiju as a species as well.

It just makes a lot of sense to me to have Kaiju (an easy catch-all tag for all these guys) as a species, and then have their class represent what they actually spend their time doing.

I agree with this. I'm much more interested in Godzilla working well with Mothra than Godzilla working well with Bob, Ted, Carol, and Ringo.

Ronin May 18th, 2020 11:50 AM

Insect makes sense to me.

Thematically, it just feels like a hack to claim that Godzilla and Mothra are the same species. Plus I worry that the leftboxes get samey that way.

quozl May 18th, 2020 11:58 AM

I was thinking once a round but I think I like the charge-up even better.

Something like this?

Quote:

ATOMIC BREATH SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 4.
After taking a turn with Godzilla, place an Atomic Charge marker on this card. You may remove 4 Atomic Charge markers from this card to use this special attack. Choose 8 spaces in a straight line from Godzilla. All figures on the chosen spaces and in clear sight of Godzilla are affected by this special attack. Roll 4 attack dice for all affected figures. Each skull rolled counts as one additional hit. Figures roll defense separately.
Or should it be remove any number of markers to roll that many dice?

IAmBatman May 18th, 2020 12:13 PM

I think I like it how you have it. I was thinking I liked the ability to be more tactical, but I actually think I like a bit more predictability with a big bad "boss Monster" type.

Yodaking May 18th, 2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2385101)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2385080)
I like Kaiju as a species personally just cause thinking ahead, how many of these guys have clear and defined species? Like what is Mothra? A Moth/Insect? An Entity/Deity? The Pacific Rim monsters Iím pretty sure explicitly are called Kaiju as a species as well.

I agree with this. I'm much more interested in Godzilla working well with Mothra than Godzilla working well with Bob, Ted, Carol, and Ringo.

:up:

LordVenoc May 18th, 2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 2385105)
Insect makes sense to me.

Well now I look forward to an Ant-Man swarm of ants being heralding his control over Mothra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 2385105)
Thematically, it just feels like a hack to claim that Godzilla and Mothra are the same species. Plus I worry that the leftboxes get samey that way.

Eh, I personally feel that making up species is a weirder/worse approach. Because sure, Godzilla can be a dino and Mothra can be an Insect. But are we gonna call Ghidorah a dragon? Or Biollante a plant?

And admittedly, the roster we do probably won't go deep enough for it to actually be a problem. Kaiju just means strange creature, and these things are all weird mutations (we use terms like mutate and metahuman liberally, so the logic carries here to a degree). But we've also sort of set a precedent with Kong. Though he's separate enough that we don't necessarily have to stick to it? I guess I'm more a "pick a lane and stick to it" on the species approach.

quozl May 18th, 2020 05:11 PM

Kong is American and all the rest are Japanese.

IAmBatman May 18th, 2020 05:18 PM

Yeah, Kong has met Godzilla, but he's pretty separate from Godzilla and friends.

Ronin May 18th, 2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordVenoc (Post 2385294)
Because sure, Godzilla can be a dino and Mothra can be an Insect. But are we gonna call Ghidorah a dragon? Or Biollante a plant?

Yeah, that all tracks for me.

Soundwarp SG-1 May 18th, 2020 05:23 PM

Why wouldn't Biollante be a plant?

I feel like the standard for mutated animal stuff has been to keep whatever their base species is. TMNT, Spider-Ham, etc.

LordVenoc May 18th, 2020 05:24 PM

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't track. More that it can make some weird interactions at times. I'm slightly more in the Bats camp of "more concerned with Mothra interacting with the other Kaiju as opposed to Ant Man stuff," but don't care enough to actually debate it.

Biollante was probably a weird example. The thing is part plant, part human, part Godzilla, so it seemed like a fair thought experiment, but yeah mutated animal, just pick the base animal is the aesthetic so far.