Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 August 16th, 2010 11:41 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1176956)
I can't say that I have ever heard of the books or characters. Once we get to the wording and costing point I will start giving my input.

Ditto.

Lamaclown August 17th, 2010 03:52 PM

OK, to get the ball rolling I will post some thoughts based just on the wiki article. If these aren't in line with the character feel free to totally dismiss them...

With his sword, rather than go with another figure that yet again gains an attack bonus against certain other figures, I thought this was interesting from the wiki link... "Grayswandir... allows Corwin to speak to the shades in Tir-na Nog'th."

So how about somethng like this (if it fits the character):
GRAYSWANDIR
After revealing an order marker on this card you may first take a turn with up to 3 undead squad figures you control. When taking a turn with an undead squad using Grayswandir, you may not use any bonding or other movement abilities on the squad's card.

I now that shades of Tir-na Nog'th doesn't necassarily translate into undead but it is a starting point.

the wiki also says he uses subterfuge when necessary...
SUBTERFUGE
When rolling the 20 sided die for any figure you control you may add 1 (or 2?) to whatever you roll.

Although these do put him as a niche figure rather than an all-around figure. He would do great with an army of Shades of Bleakewoode with each of the above abilities.

Anyhow, reject them if they don't fit Corwin. I just thought we could think outside the box as far as abilities go (ie another attack boost). Also, wanted to get something here as far as design goes for this guy.

Delph August 17th, 2010 04:00 PM

I like both of those abilities.

I think subterfuge could also be accomplished through turn markers. Possibly allow a switch, or a second "X" marker.

He should have bonus attack against "Chaos" figures, which could be defined as Utgar or by Personality (Rebellious, Tricky and/or Wild figures.)

Balantai August 18th, 2010 02:17 PM

I don't really know this character so everything is based off of Wiki info.

Grayswandir
Figures who follow Utgar roll 1 less defense die when defending against a normal attack.

Grayswandir
When attacking an adjacent figure with a normal attack, you may add 2 to Corwin's attack. You may add an additional 2 to Corwin's attack if the defending figure follows Utgar.

His endurance and regeneration abilities can represented in high life. Perhaps 6 or 7.

Tactician
Friendly figures adajacent to Corwin may add 1 to their attack and defense.

Royalty
After revealing an order marker on this card, instead of taking a turn with Corwin, you may take a turn with any King, Queen, Emporer, Emporess, Prince or Princess you control.

World Shift (Or whatever it's called when they do this)
If Corwin recieves enough wounds from an attack to be destroyed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, Corwin receives no damage from the attack and you must immediately place Corwin on an empty space in your starting zone. Corwin does not receive leaving engagement attacks when moving due to World Shift.

Lamaclown August 18th, 2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1178515)
Royalty
Instead of taking a turn with Corwin, you may take a turn with any King, Queen, Prince or Princess.

If Corwin recieves enough wounds from an attack to be destroyed, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, Corwin receives no damage from the attack and you must immediately place Corwin on an empty space in your starting zone. Corwin does not receive leaving engagement attacks when moving due to World Shift.

I really like World Shift. Nice representation (AFIK from the wiki).

For Royalty should Emperor be added? I was just thinking of all the dragons, Zelrig is an Emperor (poor Mimring, he's just a beast).

Hrockle August 18th, 2010 03:10 PM

My original idea for world shift was to make it similar to Grapple Gun, but I rather like Balantai's representation. While not entirely thematic, it is functional.

I'm not a fan of Tactician, I like Royalty. Perhaps I could meld them into one?

I think Grayswandir would work better against those with a Wild or Tormented personality.

I was thinking about making him large, as people who first meet the royalty from Amber generally comment on their height. But that depends on if I can find a proper figure.

I love Subterfuge.

And at those of you who haven't read the books, pick them up somewhere, they're an awesome read.

Delph August 18th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

I like this a lot. Not especially heroic, and not always beneficial, but how I think someone with the ability would react to situations. Kind of "subterfuge-y" as well.

mac122 August 18th, 2010 03:54 PM

Only know what I read in Wikipedia. There was a mention of him being blinded but that over time his sight returned because of his body's ability to heal itself. I'd like to see a regeneration ability instead of pumping up his stats. Maybe something that could be used in conjunction with or after the World Shift. Corwin is almost killed, World Shifts to remove himself from battle and then some die roll or OM use or whatever to remove some wound markers.

Hrockle August 18th, 2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1178665)
Only know what I read in Wikipedia. There was a mention of him being blinded but that over time his sight returned because of his body's ability to heal itself. I'd like to see a regeneration ability instead of pumping up his stats. Maybe something that could be used in conjunction with or after the World Shift. Corwin is almost killed, World Shifts to remove himself from battle and then some die roll or OM use or whatever to remove some wound markers.

Yes, his eyes were burned and removed. It took him a couple years, but he regenerated his eyes completely. I do like that idea, I'll work on it and hopefully have a draft up tonight before I go to sleep.

wulfhunter667 August 18th, 2010 04:07 PM

I think Balantai is on the right track with World Shift. But allowing regeneration is going to turn this guy in a beast to kill IMHO. It's bad enough to have him returning to the start zone 40% of the time instead of being destroyed. But to give him regeneration as well? Too much. Unless you intend on making him a 300 or 400 point figure. Just my :2cents:.

Takanuva August 18th, 2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1178515)
I don't really know this character so everything is based off of Wiki info.

Grayswandir
Figures who follow Utgar roll 1 less defense die when defending against a normal attack.

Grayswandir
When attacking an adjacent figure with a normal attack, you may add 2 to Corwin's attack. You may add an additional 2 to Corwin's attack if the defending figure follows Utgar.

His endurance and regeneration abilities can represented in high life. Perhaps 6 or 7.

Tactician
Friendly figures adajacent to Corwin may add 1 to their attack and defense.

Royalty
After revealing an order marker on this card, instead of taking a turn with Corwin, you may take a turn with any King, Queen, Emporer, Emporess, Prince or Princess you control.

Grayswandir=I like it, but since there's a new evil general coming out, shouldn't it be Utgar and ____? Maybe we could change the card to add that after we know the General's name, or just give him the ability against everyone.

Tactician=Only helping Adjacent characters isn't as useful if he can't bond, and I don't see it helping him as much as his other powers are almost all offensively orientated. If a player wants a cheerleader they’re going to go for cheaper, more effective ones, like Raelin. I don’t think the one’s who use him as an attack unit will use Tactician nearly as much as it costs to put on a card. Of course, this is all theory-Scaping, so I actually have no idea. But I think a power that had more range, or that activated after he takes a turn, would be better. Perhaps: All figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Corwin gain an additional attack die and an additional defense die for every revealed order marker on this card.

Royalty=Almost all the figures this affects are dragons, and I don’t think that’s very thematic. Also, like Tactician, that makes him over-costed depending on how you use him. If you want to use him offensively as an attacker, you won’t use use this power, but you still have to pay the extra points on his card for them. If you keep him in the back all game for OM safety, you still have to pay the points for his offensive powers, which you won’t use. It will probably be better when we make his siblings(The ones you would thematically use this power on) But if it also affect dragons, which are so much more powerful, I don’t think it will be used for much else. Maybe you could add a symbol(Like Super-Strength) with an R in it, called a Royalty Symbol. Then he could use this power with those that had the Royalty Symbol. Also, there's a Wikipedia quote below that tell's a little about the World-shifting thing. It says all Amberites of Royal Blood can do it, so maybe the Royalty Symbol could have something to do with that, if yuo decide to use it.

Quote:

The Amber Multiverse

The series is based on the concept of parallel worlds, domination over them being fought between the kingdoms at the extreme ends of Shadow—Amber, the one true world of Order, and the Courts of Chaos. Amberites of royal blood—those descended from Oberon (and ultimately his parents, Dworkin, formerly of the Courts of Chaos, and the Unicorn of Order herself) —are able to "walk in Shadow", mentally willing changes to occur around them. These changes are, in effect, representative of the Shadow-walker passing through different realities. There are apparently infinite realities, and the characters in the novels are not sure if these different universes are created as one walks through Shadow, or if they already exist and a Shadow-walker is able to slip from one to another. In the Merlin cycle there are references to the Wheeler-Everret interpretation of quantum-mechanics and the Ghostwheel created by Merlin is said to "shuffle" through Shadows, suggesting that the multiverse exists independently, although this is never explicitly stated.

Takanuva August 18th, 2010 05:30 PM

I think it would be really interesting(But not that practical) To give a figure(maybe not Corwin) 1 life and a power that has

'When this figure is wounded, do not remove it from the battlefield or take any wounds off of this card. Instead, treat the figure as having no wounds. At the end of every round, roll the 20 sided die. If the result of the roll is equal to or less than the amount of wounds on this card, this figure is destroyed.'

If it was used for Corwin, it could represent his endurance, and when he decides it to dangerous him world-shifting out of there. You could also add that he removes a wound every time he rolls the 20 sided die for this power, to show his regeneration.

It’s quirky, makes the character a big gamble, and probably isn’t the best idea, but it would be interesting.