Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Lamaclown January 23rd, 2013 03:37 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Thoughts so far...
Quote:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla/Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Warrior
Valiant/Resolute
Medium 5?

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 23
Defense 2
Points (?)

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Treasure Glyph on this card, Unique Heroes roll 1 less attack die against Thomas Hunter.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with 5 Treasure Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, choose a Treasure Glyph at random and place it power-side up on this Army Card, to a maximum of 3 Treasure Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Treasure Glyph on this card.

TIME OUT
If Thomas Hunter receives enough wounds to be destroyed, you may reveal a numbered order marker on this card. If you do, ignore any wounds just received. You may not take a turn with the order marker you chose to reveal.
This would go with the theme of Thomas healing while he was asleep and unable to take action. It would also create the need for careful thought in placing OMs and the tough in-game decision of either letting Thomas bite the dust or giving your opponent an unanswered turn.
2 defense seems like he would get taken out way too easily, but potential defense of 6 (if his base defense was bumped to 3) seems really high as well, especially with a healing ability. Maybe bumping his life to 5 could help balance that a bit? Maybe making Underestimated work against all figures, including squaddies?:shrug:

I would like to see a leadership ability tied to his experience as well but that may be too much. Any leadership type of ability may just have to be tied to a glyph I guess.

Balantai January 23rd, 2013 03:58 PM

How about:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla/Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Warrior
Valiant/Resolute
Medium 5?

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 2
Points (?)

THOMAS THE HUNTER (?)
At the start of the game, choose up to 3 Supplemental Ability Cards and place them face down next to this card.

TIME JUMP NAP (?)
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, if Thomas Hunter is unengaged, you may reveal the X Order Marker on this card and place Thomas Hunter on this card.

FUTURE EXPERIENCES
At the end of any round after Thomas Hunter was placed on this card by Time Jump Nap, you may remove 1 wound marker from this card, place Thomas Hunter adjacent to any figure you control on the battlefield and you may choose any 1 Supplemental Ability Card and turn it face up. For the remainder of the game, Thomas Hunter may use that Supplemental Ability Card as though it was on his card. Add 1 to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Supplemental Ability Card being used by Thomas Hunter due to Future Experiences.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Then we can create about 5 Supplemental Ability Cards that would show what Thomas the Hunter has learned. Maybe Counterstrike, a leadership ability, etc.

McHotcakes January 23rd, 2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749967)

THOMAS THE HUNTER (?)
At the start of the game, choose up to 3 Supplemental Ability Cards and place them face down next to this card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then we can create about 5 Supplemental Ability Cards that would show what Thomas the Hunter has learned. Maybe Counterstrike, a leadership ability, etc.

If we want there to be about 5 supplemental Ability Cards then should the THOMAS THE HUNTER ability limit it to 3 at the start of the game? Maybe set the maximum number of Supplemental Ability cards that Thomas can use in 1 game as three, but let the player choose which ones to get as the game goes on.

mac122 January 23rd, 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1749986)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1749967)

THOMAS THE HUNTER (?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we want there to be about 5 supplemental Ability Cards then should the THOMAS THE HUNTER ability limit it to 3 at the start of the game? Maybe set the maximum number of Supplemental Ability cards that Thomas can use in 1 game as three, but let the player choose which ones to get as the game goes on.

That's sorta what I was going for with the glyphs, but I had it random.

I realize now that the idea of using Treasure Glyphs will not mesh well with official rules. If we make the break with classic by adding supplemental cards, perhaps we could create a new class of glyphs, maybe Abilities Glyphs, with corresponding cards?

Balantai January 24th, 2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1749955)
Thoughts so far...
Spoiler Alert!

My thoughts:

Combat Experience seems a bit confusing to me. Can you pick any 5 treasure glyphs or only those that we would create for him? Also, are you going to be able to show Thomas gaining combat experience through treasure glyphs. I'm not sure the theme is showing with this power. How does Thomas gain the ability to create a "Ray Gun" after destroying an opponent's figure?

The theme of Time Out is lost for me, also. If I'm engaged to Thomas and I roll enough skulls to take him out, he goes to sleep and wakes up unwounded yet still engaged to me? Maybe a more thematic power would be something similar to Thanos?

Balantai January 24th, 2013 11:11 AM

A new idea:

Thomas Hunter
Aquilla/Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Warrior
Valiant/Resolute
Medium 5?

Life 2 (or 3)
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3
Points (?)

SLEEP (?)
At the end of each turn after Thomas Hunter has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, remove all wound markers from this card and place him adjacent to any figure you control. Add 1 to Thomas Hunters' attack and defense for each time he successfully uses Sleep.

EXPERIENCED COUNTERSTRIKE
When rolling defense dice against an attack from an adjacent figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure. You may only use Experienced Counterstrike after successfully using your Sleep special power.

RAY GUN SPECIAL ATTACK (?)
Range 5. Attack 4.
When attacking with Ray Gun Special Attack, you may reroll all dice that did not roll a skull. You may only reroll once per attack. You may only use Ray Gun Special Attack after successfully using your Sleep special power 2 times.

EXPERIENCED LEADER
All friendly figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Thomas Hunter may add 1 to their attack and defense. You may only use Experienced Leader after successfully using your Sleep Special Power 3 times.

mac122 January 24th, 2013 11:26 AM

UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Ability Glyph on this card, Unique Heroes roll 1 less attack die against Thomas Hunter.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with up to 5 Ability Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, you may choose an Ability Glyph and place it on this Army Card, to a maximum of 3 Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Ability Glyph on this card.

TIME OUT
At the start of each of your turns after Thomas Hunter has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, immediately place Thomas Hunter on any empty land space and remove all Wound Markers on this card.

Ability Glyphs
EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP

COUNTER STRIKE

RAY GUN SPECIAL ATTACK

TACTICAL SWITCH

...any appropriate special power or attack could be made into an Ability Glyph.

Balantai January 24th, 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1750375)
UNDERESTIMATED
If there is at least one Ability Glyph on this card, Unique Heroes roll 1 less attack die against Thomas Hunter.

COMBAT EXPERIENCE
Begin the game with up to 5 Ability Glyphs. When Thomas Hunter destroys an opponent's figure, you may choose an Ability Glyph and place it on this Army Card, to a maximum of 3 Ability Glyphs. Add 1 die to Thomas Hunter's attack and defense for each Ability Glyph on this card.

TIME OUT
At the start of each of your turns after Thomas Hunter has been destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, immediately place Thomas Hunter on any empty land space and remove all Wound Markers on this card.

Ability Glyphs
EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP

COUNTER STRIKE

RAY GUN SPECIAL ATTACK

TACTICAL SWITCH

...any appropriate special power or attack could be made into an Ability Glyph.

I think your combat experience is incorrectly using theme. He doesn't gain new abilities from defeating enemies, he gains new abilities when Thomas the Hunter defeats enemies which is essentially during Time Out. Does that make sense?

mac122 January 24th, 2013 11:54 AM

I get that, but tying it to Time Out/Sleep seems to be rewarding him for being destroyed. If I am understanding it correctly, he wasn't necessarily killed to shift between realities, but would fall asleep in one, waking up in the other, each time armed with new knowledge or abilities.

Maybe something like this (after typing it, it sounds similar to something we had before. Maybe I'm shifting realities?)

REALITY SHIFT
Begin the game with 3 Ability Glyphs. After revealing an Order Marker on this card, instead of taking a turn with Thomas Hunter, you may place Thomas Hunter on this card. Remove up to 2 wound markers from this card and choose an Ability Glyph and place it on this card. Thomas Hunter adds 1 die to his attack and defense for each Ability Glyph on this card. The next time you reveal on Order Marker on this card, place Thomas Hunter on any empty space on the battlefield and take his turn as normal.

The wording probably isn't quite right, but it represents Thomas falling asleep for a turn and coming back armed with a new ability and greater power.

Balantai January 24th, 2013 12:01 PM

It's a little weird that we're simulating sleep cycles for Thomas Hunter as turns or rounds in Heroscape. Maybe we're taking the wrong approach completely here?

Lamaclown January 24th, 2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1750393)
It's a little weird that we're simulating sleep cycles for Thomas Hunter as turns or rounds in Heroscape. Maybe we're taking the wrong approach completely here?

I am willing to go back to the drawing board. As I said before, I knew this guy would be a challenge for us; hopefully that will part of the fun in designing him and not a frustration. :)

Balantai January 24th, 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1750399)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1750393)

I am willing to go back to the drawing board. As I said before, I knew this guy would be a challenge for us; hopefully that will part of the fun in designing him and not a frustration. :)

Is there anything you really like or don't like at this point, Lama? You're really the expert here as far as theme goes.