Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to Clean Terrain Tiles Safely? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39457)

ForeverWar January 30th, 2012 04:13 PM

How to Clean Terrain Tiles Safely?

So, I got some heroscape terrain tiles, but they are a bit musty. Any tips on washing them? Are they harmed by soap and warm water?

mac122 January 30th, 2012 04:23 PM

Re: How to Clean Terrain Tiles Safely?

I've washed tiles in warm, soapy dish water several times with no ill effects. You'd want to stay away from anything with a solvent that might remove the paint or melt the plastic.

Edit: Also, if you have used tiles that have been marked on the back with a Sharpie, you can usually get most, if not all of that off with Rubbing Alcohol. I use cotton balls and cotton swabs.

mrcrimson January 30th, 2012 04:41 PM

Before I flocked my RotV and SotM tiles, I threw them in the dishwasher. Didnt harm them, but it did leave those pesky water spots lol

ForeverWar January 30th, 2012 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input. Thinking of using lukewarm water, soft sponge, and hand or dish soap.

Killometer January 30th, 2012 05:31 PM

I spilled some port on a map and didn't clean it up right away (I may have also spilled some port in my mouth, making me a little apathetic ;)) and it got all tacky and gooey and became a total lint magnet. I just chucked all the sticky tiles in the bathtub and swirled them around in warm water. It took everything off and didn't affect the tiles at all.

Awesome durability was one of Heroscape's biggest selling points for me. 8) (Spill something on one of these and see how it works out.)

sixthflagbearer January 30th, 2012 06:05 PM

Also, if there is sharpie, write over it in expo, then wipe it off with a tissue. Depending on the pressure used, and the age, it might take 2 or 3. This also works on cards.

Chachi January 31st, 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1551569)
I spilled some port on a map and didn't clean it up right away (I may have also spilled some port in my mouth, making me a little apathetic ;)) and it got all tacky and gooey and became a total lint magnet. I just chucked all the sticky tiles in the bathtub and swirled them around in warm water. It took everything off and didn't affect the tiles at all.

Awesome durability was one of Heroscape's biggest selling points for me. 8) (Spill something on one of these and see how it works out.)

Spilled port on it....that is class, sir! I will be playing with a single malt scotch and a fine cigar from now on. If anything gets messy, I'll have the help clean it.

On a side note, I cleaned a ton of jungle hexes with dish soap and warm water. they had thick dust on them, worked great, air dry though.

ForeverWar January 31st, 2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1551569)
I spilled some port on a map and didn't clean it up right away (I may have also spilled some port in my mouth, making me a little apathetic ;))

A fellow port lover! Nothing like a little Graham's 20 Year or Six Grapes with a board game. I usually set my drink on a stool next to me to prevent spilling on my stuff.

During the interim period between my bachelor's party and wedding, it was all Graham's and Star Wars / D&D minis with the guys.

Killometer January 31st, 2012 09:51 PM

I get too energetic when I play to enjoy it, but I sometimes like to have a glass to savor while I'm designing a map. That's a much slower, more contemplative process for me; I find that the two indulgences go well together. (And I definitely couldn't have a cigar while I play-I'd chew it to pieces!)

Chachi January 31st, 2012 10:50 PM

The wife would kill me if I tried to smoke cigars in the house. I suppose the back deck will have to do. You know, where I park the Rolls and the Bentley. (just kidding around, I don't want anyone to misinterpret my antics as insults, it's my attempt at humor).

But she seriously would kill me if I smoked in the house!

Killometer January 31st, 2012 11:47 PM

:hijacked:

Rolls and Bentley? Hmm, how gauche. I much prefer my Bugatti and Duesenberg. :snootystare:

I don't think I'd last much longer smoking a cigar in my house than it sounds like you would (though I'm down to only about two a year, so even coming home smelling like smoke isn't much of an issue.) Not that I like burning tire cigars-gimmee a creamy Connecticut shade wrapper with a nice sweet filler (Monte Cristo White is my favorite). Pair it with a Kalhua on the rocks and a warm summer evening for a pleasant hour of relaxation.

Back OT, when I had to wash my pieces I didn't even need a sponge or soap. I just let them soak in warm water for 15 minutes or so, shook off most of the water, and gave a quick wipe with a towel to anything that was too persistant. It's all 100% now.

Agent Minivann February 1st, 2012 12:43 AM

I will throw in another vote for rubbing alcohol to get rid of sharpie. Using a magic eraser helps as well. I've used both (by themselves and together) and they do the job.

If you elect to use your dish wahser, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you should turn off the heated dry (and the extra heated wash for that matter). The heated dry is just wasted energy as it is for dishes, and it has the potential to warp terrain*.

* I have never washed terrain this way, so it is all guessing on my part.