Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gary's Heroscape Site & Stuff (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=2653)

GaryLASQ September 11th, 2006 02:11 PM

Gary's Heroscape Site & Stuff

https://heroscape.glasq.com/online/s.../signature.png
Since I don't have anything interactive for feedback or comments on the site itself, I thought I'd setup this thread. I'll post here about changes/additions to the website.

ultradoug September 11th, 2006 02:25 PM

You spin me right round baby right round like a bullet train right round...

http://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/mimring_tr.gifhttp://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/finn_tr.gifhttp://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/thorgrim_tr.gifhttp://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/tarn1_tr.gifhttp://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/tarn2_tr.gif
http://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/tarn3_tr.gif
http://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/tarn4_tr.gifhttp://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/carr_tr.gif

http://heroscape.glasq.com/avatars/taelord_tr.gif
"AHhhhhhhhhhhhh I can't stop spining that much! :("

GaryLASQ September 11th, 2006 03:17 PM

thanks UD. that's exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping for. :)

Dragonslayer September 11th, 2006 03:26 PM

Very nice site Gary! Especially the map & mop section is/looks cool :up:

Buddy Lee September 11th, 2006 03:41 PM

Nice site. Well organized and with a variety of information. Looks like it will be a useful resource to find all the information you need quickly.

Buddy Lee

Roller September 11th, 2006 04:21 PM

I think i liked the old way you did the character sheet (everything together). although having both available would be best.

The best way would be to make 5 Sperate downloads (one for each general) with all the info together, including hitboxes, stats, works with, specials, ect... That's my opinion though =)

But other then that, the site is awsome!

GaryLASQ September 11th, 2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roller
I think i liked the old way you did the character sheet (everything together). although having both available would be best.

The best way would be to make 5 Sperate downloads (one for each general) with all the info together, including hitboxes, stats, works with, specials, ect... That's my opinion though =)

But other then that, the site is awsome!

heh, long ago i had the SPs separated out. when i mixed them in with the other stats i heard from some that they liked it separated out better. just can't please everyone. but now that i've put it back to being separated i like it better and it was a good place to stick in the Hitzone images.

for now, i like the one big download of the entire site that exists on the Home page. nice and simple. but as the site grows and it exceeds 25MB i'll have to rethink this.

robaula September 11th, 2006 04:49 PM

Feedback? Ok...

I like the page of spinning avatars - very good. The table of character names and stats is something I am probably going to get a fair bit of use from, and its useful and interesting to see everything together in the way you have displayed it.
Nice site, easy to navigate and well presented. I like :lol:

Annerios September 11th, 2006 05:12 PM

This is one of my favoite HS resources on the web. :thumbsup:

The revamp looks good. I like how you can hit the unit's ID and have the Special Powers' screen pop up with the unit in question right on top.

Very handy when working on customs or just building armies.

Why don't the exclusive units have the new targeting image? Don't tell me you don't have images to use! :poke: :P

GaryLASQ September 11th, 2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annerios
Why don't the exclusive units have the new targeting image? Don't tell me you don't have images to use! :poke: :P

didn't get that far yet but now that i think about it :duh: they're just repaints. the hitzones are the same as the originals (except for isolating the one sculpt from the Knight squad for Sir Hawthorne).

thanks for the compliments guys! i like to hear those words "easy to navigate".

if anyone has or knows of other HS websites, post it here and i will add it to the Links page on my site. i'll do my best to keep it current.

johnny139 September 11th, 2006 05:35 PM

Yeah, it's really convinient. It's now bookmarked!

markwars September 11th, 2006 05:42 PM

Gary I just want to say thank you for your site. I visit it several times a week to verify things. ;)

Agent Minivann September 11th, 2006 07:15 PM

Very useful site. I also like how you can download a copy of the site.

geddy lifeson September 11th, 2006 07:44 PM

Been a bookmark of mine for a while...great site and a wealth of information.

Joah September 11th, 2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geddy lifeson
Been a bookmark of mine for a while...great site and a wealth of information.

I got my first glimpse at a Border Battle, a while back.
Very useful.
Discovered my "new favorite" Warband there.

Hex_Enduction_Hour September 11th, 2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryLASQ

didn't get that far yet but now that i think about it :duh: they're just repaints.

:rofl:

GaryLASQ October 16th, 2006 01:35 PM

my website's been idle lately because i've been teaching myself SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics). and what better way to learn than experiment with HS battlefield 2D graphics!

here is "Table of the Giants".
http://heroscape.glasq.com/online/sc...hsbf100101.svg

if it doesn't look like 2D battlefield graphics (browser tries to download the files), then you might need to install a simple SVG Viewer plug-in. here's one by Adobe.
http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

SVG is maturing and web browsers are now providing native support, so depending on the version of your browser, you may not need the SVG Viewer by Adobe.

for the more curious of you, read on .... take a peek at the page source, of one of the SVG files, in your browser to see the "code" behind it. i'm using Notepad to enter the terrain tiles into an XML file that is transformed into SVG via XSLT. it's a far cry from LandScape or VirtualScape since the user interface is currently Notepad. maybe someday i'll create a user friendly interface of my own...

reapersaurus October 16th, 2006 03:51 PM

hm.
interesting.

Don;t see what the application might be in the future, but I think your website is great, regardless. :thumbsup:

GaryLASQ October 16th, 2006 04:04 PM

thanks reaper.

this is just a sneak peek. a practical HS application is not obvious yet. eventually, i plan to use SVG heavily in my HS site once i get it figured out. if i wanted to go nuts with this i could combine it with some JavaScript to build my own version of LandScape (called something else of course). for now i'm just making non-animated SVG "images" of battlefields.

SVG graphics are drawn on-the-spot by the browser, using instructions from the SVG file, which is nothing more than text that can be altered easily with something like Notepad.

GaryLASQ October 23rd, 2006 01:37 AM

all finished with loading up Hasbro maps into my little XML/SVG project. these aren't linked to any page on my website....yet.

Table of the Giants
The Forsaken Waters
Durgeth Swamps
Trollsford Swamps
Mingol's Tomb
Soulrazon Canyon
The Meat Grinder
The Forgotten Forest
Volcarren Wasteland
Searing Pass
Wellspring of Obsession
Wolf Swamp Road
The Battlefield of Frozen Souls
The West Barbican of Idona Castle

if it looks a little like Landscape it's because i'm using Logrey's color choices and copied his button style. i'm still fooling around with this and the style will be changing.

the cool thing to do is play around with the window size of the browser you're viewing them in.

i'm currently working on how i want to work scenarios into the XML data structure. for now this is just the battlefields.
http://heroscape.glasq.com/online/sc...attlefield.xml

CornPuff October 23rd, 2006 02:38 AM

I am very interested in this. Very cool.

what do you use to enter xml data? what tools do you use? could i see the xslt?

Over on the Battlefields of Valhalla thread I have been talking about maps with multiple "Start zone and glyphs" layers. I would love to see your xml format become the standard for map distribution.

Virtuascape doesn't do Start Zone and Glyph layers well, doesn't do scenarios well and makes Bunjee (and the rest of the Mac users) unhappy. Also it has a closed file format.

Lanscape is cross-platform, lacks snow and castles, and has a closed file format.(Even though i think its XML based, logrey doesn't have intentions to make it open).

I really dig the fact that you are making an XML based format. I would love to use your format to create a map database. If you need any help with speccing things out or some grunt programming let me know. I'm pretty sharp when it comes to coding, and I think that you are on to something good.

GaryLASQ October 23rd, 2006 10:07 AM

hey CornPuff. i know Logrey has experimented in the past with XML as a format for saving and exchanging maps, rather than the .sol files of Flash. and he plans to work this into his version 4 of LS. (in fact, the .sol files are XML that are "scrambled" for proprietary reasons.)

the one thing i want to do with scenarios is allow plugging different scenarios into the same battlefield rather than doing a "copy" of the same battlefield with each scenario. so i'm still thinking about how to represent this in the XML battlefield file.

for tools, i'm a bit of a reductionist. only using notepad. i should look into other tools though. and i'm still quite the novice with XSLT. i use the Saxon parser on my laptop but haven't figured out all of its features yet.

here is the XSLT file:
http://heroscape.glasq.com/online/sc...attlefield.xsl

however it's far from its final form and it needs more documentation. and this will not be it's permanent url. just putting it at this location temporarily for the purpose of this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornPuff
I really dig the fact that you are making an XML based format. I would love to use your format to create a map database.

i was getting started on a map database via a different XML structure back in the HQ days. but that was for organizing PDFs generated by LS. instead i'm concentrating on putting the maps themselves (terrain objects pieced togther) into XML first; then work on a map database (higher level info about maps). although this is a bit of an uphill climb with a learing curve and RL distractions.

you can use this format anytime you want, but it would be better to wait a bit until i get scenarios worked into it which should be a couple more weeks i think.

kboleen October 24th, 2006 07:40 PM

Very cool site. I love the rotating avatars. Are they free for us to use?

GaryLASQ October 24th, 2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboleen
Very cool site. I love the rotating avatars. Are they free for us to use?

thanks kboleen. help yourself to the "spinners". don't even need to give me credit or anything since i swiped the animation frames off the Hasbro sight :twisted:

auralerogeny October 24th, 2006 08:18 PM

I got a spinner...I really really like it. And your site is VERY cool, I was checking everything out when I found the avatars, which were way cooler than the crappy one I had. Thanks Gary! I bookmarked your site as well!

Jaz1597 October 24th, 2006 08:47 PM

I don't know why I haven't check it out before, but your site looks great.

I LOVE the modular map section!

GaryLASQ October 25th, 2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaz1597
I LOVE the modular map section!

thanks Jaz1597. the modular map section is on a slight pause while i work on my XML/SVG project for storing battlefields/scenarios. plus, this project will help out the Modular Maps in several ways. one will be an auto-point calculator based on my rules for determining points for a modular map (or any map for that matter).

Also, i've just added the "Crest of the Valkyrie" (Flagbearers) to the tables thanks to Riggler's thread.

Startoker October 25th, 2006 02:22 PM

Hi Gary,
Love your site, especially the tables which I utilize often. When we play we usually have five (5) or six (6) players. What I would really like to see is a nice six player map where we could finish a game in about 4-5 hours. Ive got lots to work with. Entire collection of figures including all exclusives, about 10 MS, 2 VC, 6 RTTFF, 6 COTA, 2 TT. If you do any projects along these lines please let me know. There just aren't a lot of 6 player boards out there. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts. Keep on 'Scapin, you're a great asset to the HS community.
Regards,
Startoker

GaryLASQ October 25th, 2006 03:08 PM

thanks for the high praise Startoker.

once i get a bigger collection of modular maps i will create some senarios that use them. (i'm not real thrilled with the last two modules i made and will probably rework or remove them.)

also with a nice big collection of modules to work with someone could say "ok, i've got these expansions and x number of masters. my buddy also has some terrain. if i build these modules and he builds this other module and brings it with him, we can arrange them into a pretty big map for all 6 players."

GaryLASQ November 2nd, 2006 05:11 PM

castle is done. yeah!
click here --> The West Barbican of Idona Castle

again i'll mention that if you're using FireFox (or Opera) browser then just click on the above link. otherwise you will need to install an SVG Viewer plug-in (look a few posts back in this thread).

theats November 2nd, 2006 07:57 PM

cool

reapersaurus November 2nd, 2006 08:21 PM

I hadn't let you know that I borrowed your Dund rotating image for the NGS game - hope it's OK to steal your bandwidth!

Let me know if you'd rather I upped it to my space... :thumbsup:

GaryLASQ November 2nd, 2006 09:53 PM

no problem reaper. a direct link on Dund shouldn't slow me down any.

GaryLASQ November 8th, 2006 01:14 AM

still chugging along with putting HS maps into XML/SVG. finished entering the graphics for master scenarios from the master set.

Table of the Giants: Clashing Fronts
The Forsaken Waters: Winter Holdout
Durgeth Swamps: Under Tempest's Cover
Trollsford Swamps: A Desperate Rescue Attempt
Trollsford Swamps: A Toxic Mist
Mingol's Tomb: Mimring's Fortress (Catacombs)
Mingol's Tomb: Mimring's Fortress
Mingol's Tomb: To Take Barrenspur (Catacombs)
Mingol's Tomb: To Take Barrenspur

GaryLASQ December 5th, 2006 08:56 PM

wave 6 stats are up on my site now. yippee.

http://heroscape.glasq.com

markwars December 5th, 2006 10:18 PM

We are now at 200 figures! :shock: That's amazing! And to think that there was a time I was happy with 30. :P

And props to you Gary. I love your site and use it regularly. ;)

HS ~ KNT December 5th, 2006 11:35 PM

Wow. Nice site. I like the spinning avi's, but I like mine better. :P (As a note, all works well in MSN Explorer. People are usually asking if things work in other browsers, so I thought I offer this info, as I find few people use this browser.)

ylikone December 5th, 2006 11:47 PM

GaryLASQ, wow, that is an excellent gathering of heroscape information! The fact that the data in the tables is sortable by title is awesome. Very good.

One thing, I noticed that the extensions on the pages are all .htm... did you make all of these pages statically? or are you using a PHP/ASP/something and just disguised it behind the htm extension? or maybe you generate the static pages with a script?

GaryLASQ December 6th, 2006 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylikone
......or maybe you generate the static pages with a script?

yes, static pages generated with script. the tables are XML converted to HTML via XSLT. no scripting happens while browsing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HS ~ KNT
As a note, all works well in MSN Explorer. People are usually asking if things work in other browsers, so I thought I offer this info, as I find few people use this browser.

cool. good to know. i only check my pages in IE, FireFox and sometimes Netscape (which is a lot like FireFox internally). what i don't care about is if things don't work in some moldy old version of a browser.

ylikone December 6th, 2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylikone
......or maybe you generate the static pages with a script?

yes, static pages generated with script. the tables are XML converted to HTML via XSLT. no scripting happens while browsing.

Ok, i guess i could have figured this out if I had read more of this thread.

BTW- your stuff works in Firefox, Opera and Konqueror in Linux

Taylor21279 December 6th, 2006 02:03 PM

Gary I think your site is great and look foward to seeing more from you in the future. Keep up the great work.

Gary I think your site is great and look foward to seeing more from you in the future. Keep up the great work.

markwars December 6th, 2006 04:16 PM

He really really really likes your site Gary. :P

GaryLASQ December 29th, 2006 02:51 PM

fyi. i know some of you hit my site often for looking up character stats.

having some technical difficulties with the server for www.glasq.com, so heroscape.glasq.com is down. i'll post back when things are working again.

Annerios December 29th, 2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

fyi. i know some of you hit my site often for looking up character stats.

having some technical difficulties with the server for www.glasq.com, so heroscape.glasq.com is down. i'll post back when things are working again.

Ack! The horror! :cry:

GaryLASQ December 30th, 2006 10:09 PM

still down. probably going to be another 24 hours or more. heh, besides not having access to my site, there are a few things on it linked into pages here at Heroscapers that are affected; avatars of a few other members, zipped PDFs for maps from the HQ, pics in numerous threads, etc. *sigh*

markwars December 31st, 2006 10:57 AM

No worries, Gary. Your site is worth the wait. ;)