Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Bailey Hoskins (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54903)

L0B5T3R May 26th, 2018 11:33 PM

The Book of Bailey Hoskins

The Book of Bailey Hoskins

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 17
BLASTERS AND BEAST MASTERS

https://www.heroscapers.com/c3g/rele...kins_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...skins_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a repainted Heroclix figure from the Superman and Wonder Woman set.
Its model number and name are #009 / Accountable.

Tutorial on How to Paint this Figure

Character Bio - Bailey Hoskins is the child of two closeted mutants who passed the mutant gene onto their son. With the help of the X-Men, Bailey learned he is a mutant firecracker, capable of detonating his whole body like a bomb but the explosive forces released will kill him. Unable to use his powers Bailey struggles to find his place among the mutant community. (Comic Vine)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

L0B5T3R May 26th, 2018 11:33 PM

Re: The Book of Bailey Hoskins (48 Hr Waiting Period)

NAME = BAILEY HOSKINS
SECRET IDENTITY = N/A

SPECIES = MUTANT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = STUDENT
PERSONALITY = HAPLESS

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 4

LIFE = 2

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = 50

THE WORST X-MAN EVER
After revealing an Order Marker on this card and taking a turn with Bailey, you may roll 8 combat dice. One at a time, for each skull rolled, you must, if possible, choose a figure within 3 spaces of Bailey to receive an automatic wound. You cannot choose the same figure more than twice. After using this special power, destroy Bailey.

L0B5T3R May 26th, 2018 11:34 PM

Reserved for art:

Comic Images

Mini Background Images

Figure

L0B5T3R May 26th, 2018 11:53 PM

CHANGE LOG
Spoiler Alert!

Scapemage May 26th, 2018 11:58 PM

I'm a bit concerned about the power triggering instead of rolling defense dice. It feels to be like you would keep him in the back, then if anybody ever stuck their nose out to attack him, you'd attempt to kill them in response and have a reasonable chance of succeeding. Perhaps he should have to survive an attack before being able to bomb.

dok May 27th, 2018 12:32 AM

The limitation to 1 wound per figure makes it hard to use him effectively like that.

Ronin May 27th, 2018 12:40 AM

I'd go 3 Life, 3 Defense - and I agree that the limit on the number of wounds you can inflict on a single figure keeps him from being too exploitable. (Though as I'm reading it, the limit is 2 wounds per figure, not 1)

I'd go Student for class - I've got some factional plans for young X-Men as Mutant Students.

Scapemage May 27th, 2018 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 2195092)
The limitation to 1 wound per figure makes it hard to use him effectively like that.

Didn't catch that part, all is well! In that case, I really like the direction here. Reminds me of original Thor's once per game lightning strike ability.

johnny139 May 27th, 2018 01:34 AM

Yeah, I was going to suggest a switch to Student here. Mechanically I'd put him at 3 Life/3 Defense, just because he's, well, kind of crappy, even by crappy X-Men standards. :p

I would like to see a proof of concept of the mod/repaint, though, before moving too far forward, just so we have our ducks in a row.

Astroking112 May 27th, 2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0B5T3R (Post 2195087)
3. Is it ok to have The Worst X-Man Ever trigger instead of Bailey rolling defensive dice?

I know little about C3G, so my apologies if this time period is meant only for specific members or not supposed to be open to the public, but if I understand Classic 'Scape norms correctly, I think it would be more fitting to say before rolling defense dice instead of instead of. I've never heard of substituting the defense roll before (albeit I don't follow the superhero side of things), and if I were to begin regularly using C3G units as a newcomer, the power would beget some confusion as it's currently worded. Switching it to occur before rolling any defense dice shouldn't affect the way that the power plays out.

quozl May 27th, 2018 02:28 AM

Might be good to take a look at Parademon.

Yodaking May 27th, 2018 02:54 AM

I like 3 life/3 def. as well.

Lazy Orang May 27th, 2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2195106)
Quote:

3. Is it ok to have The Worst X-Man Ever trigger instead of Bailey rolling defensive dice?

I know little about C3G, so my apologies if this time period is meant only for specific members or not supposed to be open to the public, but if I understand Classic 'Scape norms correctly, I think it would be more fitting to say before rolling defense dice instead of instead of. I've never heard of substituting the defense roll before (albeit I don't follow the superhero side of things), and if I were to begin regularly using C3G units as a newcomer, the power would beget some confusion as it's currently worded. Switching it to occur before rolling any defense dice shouldn't affect the way that the power plays out.

Effectively, they both act the same so I don't really care, but instead of rolling defence doesn't seem confusing to me (in fact, I think it may result in less confusion) and has precedent with Guile's Flash Kick.

Tornado May 27th, 2018 07:27 AM

You need to PM Spidey and Sir G as well.

L0B5T3R May 27th, 2018 08:06 AM

Thanks Nado, PM sent to Spidey and Special Eyes.

Thanks for weighing in @Astroking112 , you were/are certainly welcome to comment and help with the design process. The designs run out in the public really benefit from input. As for the confusing wording it think possibly wording it like Parademon, as pointed out by quozl, might be the way to go. Although, as long as intent is clear, we can mostly worry about wording as we approach the final editing step.

Student for class is cool with me. I chose Trainee originally because this guy doesn’t work well with any team, but that’s due to his overall uselessness and not any sort of bad attitude. He really does try. I think the OM reveal requirement gets that across.

I’m also assuming we probably won’t need the clear sight restriction on TWXE?

Tornado May 27th, 2018 11:58 AM

Re: The Book of Bailey Hoskins (48 Hr Breathing Period)

I would be for removing the LoS restriction.

I like the strategy of having to reveal an OM on him. You cannot just send him in with Prof. X on the sly and your opponent will be wary to attack him depending on his location.

48 Hours

Astroking112 May 27th, 2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy Orang (Post 2195120)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2195106)
Quote:

Effectively, they both act the same so I don't really care, but instead of rolling defence doesn't seem confusing to me (in fact, I think it may result in less confusion) and has precedent with Guile's Flash Kick.

I can't speak for any of the other C3G designs; I just thought that instead of rolling defense dice sounded weird when compared to Classic/C3V/SoV units, and since it made no mechanical change to say before or after instead, I figured I might as well give an outsider's opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L0B5T3R (Post 2195124)
Thanks for weighing in @Astroking112 , you were/are certainly welcome to comment and help with the design process. The designs run out in the public really benefit from input. As for the confusing wording it think possibly wording it like Parademon, as pointed out by quozl, might be the way to go. Although, as long as intent is clear, we can mostly worry about wording as we approach the final editing step.

No problem. The design certainly seems interesting (even in a vacuum), and I'd agree that the wording on Parademon's ability would work well.

L0B5T3R May 28th, 2018 03:40 AM

What do you guys think about an attack of 1 or 2? With a booster and height, he could be swinging 5 which I think is a theme fail.

Yodaking May 28th, 2018 01:58 PM

Yeah, now that you mention it 3 attack does seem too high for him from a thematic point of view. I mean I don't know the character but my understanding is that he is a relatively untrained teenager with no physically enhancing special powers. 3 base attack has been used before on those who are at least somewhat trained and/or full grown (hand ninja come to mind), so a base attack of 2 or less seems like a good idea. What are the civilians squad at, 1 attack? Where would you put his combat skills on a scale between random civilian (1) and trained ninja (3)?

Scapemage May 28th, 2018 02:27 PM

I think 2 attack is appropriate. He is an X-Men, so he has some prowess in him.

L0B5T3R May 28th, 2018 03:04 PM

He is an X-man but he has no skill and is essentially useless in combat. Keeping it at 1 along with the civilians makes sense.

Ronin May 28th, 2018 06:18 PM

Just read the mini this guys is from to study up, and yeah, I think 1 attack is fair. Poor Bailey is not punching anybody's lights out anytime soon.

Arkham May 29th, 2018 01:02 AM

Great job with this so far Lobs. :up:

L0B5T3R May 29th, 2018 02:40 AM

Re: The Book of Bailey Hoskins (Design Phase)

Thanks @Arkham , I have learned from watching the best around these parts.

Ok, I updated the SP with the changes to Bailey’s Class, Life, Attack, and Defense. I also removed the clear sight restriction from The Worst X-Man Ever.

How do you guys feel about Hapless for personality? I think it accurately describes his situation, but I’m not sure it works for personality?

Scapemage May 29th, 2018 08:56 AM

Woebegone? Miserable? Cowardly? Timid? Not sure what works best for the character, but something might stick.

Ronin May 30th, 2018 11:10 AM

I could see maybe going with Self-Doubting (from Giant-Man) or Insecure (from Armor, Electro, Stature). I could also see, in the spirit of Hapless, reusing Unfortunate from Trapster. It's again, not exactly a personality, but I feel like having some precedent helps.

Tornado May 30th, 2018 12:36 PM

Love Hapless but I really like Unfortunate especially since it has been used.

L0B5T3R May 30th, 2018 03:00 PM

I think unfortunate works really well. It’s synonymous with Hapless but since it’s been used I think that’s better.

With that, if there are no other concerns, I will propose a vote to move to initial playtesting.
@johnny139 -
@Arkham - YEA
@japes - YEA
@Tornado - YEA
@Ronin - YEA
@Yodaking - YEA
@SirGalahad - YEA
@Spidey'tilIDie -

Tornado May 30th, 2018 03:04 PM

Yea

SirGalahad May 30th, 2018 03:33 PM

Re: The Book of Bailey Hoskins (Vote for Initial Playtest)

yea

Ronin May 30th, 2018 03:34 PM

yea

Arkham May 30th, 2018 04:03 PM

yea

Yodaking May 30th, 2018 05:17 PM

yea

japes May 30th, 2018 10:24 PM

Pretty much all my comments were ok picked up in brainstorming.

yea

L0B5T3R May 30th, 2018 11:27 PM

I appreciate all the quick votes team. For some reason I can’t get my Spidey tag right. It keeps tagging another member.

Arkham May 30th, 2018 11:29 PM

Are you on iPhone when you try to type out his username or possibly forgetting the ' in his username?

L0B5T3R May 30th, 2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkham (Post 2195549)
Are you on iPhone when you try to type out his username or possibly forgetting the ' in his username?

I am on an iPhone. I copied and pasted his username, it looks like it took out the apostrophe on its own.

Arkham May 30th, 2018 11:34 PM

I know for me on iPhone 6 the default apostrophe which is ‘ is not recognized as an apostrophe here. However, if you hold the apostrophe key down it Gives you a few options and the one that’s just straight up and down like this ' is recognized and tags him successfully.

L0B5T3R May 30th, 2018 11:47 PM

There’s a reason you’re a hero! That worked :)

L0B5T3R June 1st, 2018 05:31 PM

Re: The Book of Bailey Hoskins (Initial Playtest)

This Passes! Any idea who is gonna run the initial?

Also, while we wait on that, let's talk about the figure modifications. As suggested by @Ronin I think the easiest route is to paint a new shirt on the guy. However, if we want the mini to match the comic art, I've found that the best images of Bailey have him dressed as an X-man. Thoughts? On that, I can ship the mini to anybody with the skills and willingness to paint it. :)

Tornado June 1st, 2018 05:47 PM

Can you post those comic images, if there are more than in the third post?

L0B5T3R June 1st, 2018 06:14 PM

Sure, I went ahead and added these to the third post.

johnny139 June 12th, 2018 03:24 PM

Missed this vote but I like the design. Simple but interesting slot for Mutants.

Ronin June 12th, 2018 03:37 PM

Lost track of this amidst some of my moving chaos. I could probably hit the initial for Bailey later this week (Thursday, Friday) if no one can get it sooner.

L0B5T3R June 12th, 2018 04:30 PM

I know you guys are busy, no worries. Thanks :)

Tornado June 18th, 2018 11:12 PM

What is going to be the best way to test this one?

Lazy Orang June 19th, 2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2197719)
What is going to be the best way to test this one?

800 or so point Xavier builds, I'd guess? His attack is too worthless for Apocalypse to be worthwhile and he has no D20 powers to benefit from being recruited into the Brotherhood. Perhaps Cyclops/Mutant/Telepath builds would also work? Just moving is basically as useful to him as getting a full turn.

L0B5T3R June 19th, 2018 07:22 AM

He could work nicely with Rover as well, I presume.