Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33458)

flameslayer93 September 7th, 2011 05:23 PM

Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Yes, SoV is for units only.

Killometer September 7th, 2011 06:15 PM

As flameslayer said, the SoV only reviews individual units. Such a large project as you're suggesting, sir william, would benefit from being addressed in a dedicated format, either in the Maps & Scenarios forum, or the Other Customization & HS Additions forum.

samuelfrost4 September 8th, 2011 02:43 PM

Maybe I should put this is Question dumb, but I think this is where it belongs. If I were to nominate a custom with the CHG24 tag on it: Would that tag give it minus SoV points or plus SoV points? What I`m trying to say here is does SoV prefer that I do it all by myself or does the CHG24 tag somehow make it more "official"? I dont think I`m the only asker of this question. Or maybe I am...

1Mmirg September 8th, 2011 03:00 PM

Speaking for myself, the CHG24 tag is a small plus, no minus at all. It means that the unit has been through that much more thought, review, and revision. With that said, it is only a small plus.

The biggest plus is the post that you make where you take the time to fully introduce your unit, its value, its tests, etc. Filthy's intro of Priscus is a good example of this, as is dok's for his ZI (who I've been having fun with...).

Dad_Scaper September 8th, 2011 03:14 PM

The CHG24 tag means the unit has been workshopped. That says to me, right off the bat, it will be worth a close look. That unit will likely be well formatted and well written. That unit will likely be strong thematically.

That said, the CHG24 is all about turning out quality customs for use within the Heroscape rules. Units that are fun to play and could be understood by anybody.

What we are trying to accomplish here in the SoV is something a little different. We are looking for units that would be suitable for inclusion in the Heroscape *canon*, which means to me the following additional requirements:
1. Mini availability so people can get them.
2. Balanced for competitive play.
3. Thematically consistent with the tradition of Heroscape.

qt. bangerang is, in my opinion, one of the finest customs designers on the site. Sometimes his units - General Utgar, for instance - are excellent customs and well suited to analysis in the CHG24. But just because Utgar works as a custom does *not* mean he works in the traditional Heroscape canon, where the Generals themselves are not units on the board.

Does that help?

edit:

Also there are, in my opinion, four keys to getting people to look at your Customs thread:
1. Put a link to it in your sig.
2. Put good customs in the thread.
3. Demonstrate an interest in critical analysis of your customs.
4. Provide meaningful advice to *other* customs creators.

Lamaclown September 8th, 2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelfrost4 (Post 1476982)
Maybe I should put this is Question dumb, but I think this is where it belongs. If I were to nominate a custom with the CHG24 tag on it: Would that tag give it minus SoV points or plus SoV points? What I`m trying to say here is does SoV prefer that I do it all by myself or does the CHG24 tag somehow make it more "official"? I dont think I`m the only asker of this question. Or maybe I am...

You do not have to have a card go through the CHCG24 process for it to be considered by the SoV judges and conversely, a card with the CHCG24 stamp on it will not be considered any more seriously than a well thought out card without the stamp.

Our main concern is that nominated cards not be units that were slapped together and then nominated without any playtesting and tweaking.

A designer can do that on his own. The best way to do it is to have a customs thread where that card has been displayed and other scapers have given input on it.

So, no major + or - for the CHCG24 stamp.

That said, it is a great project and I have had a unit go through it that is a better unit than it was before the CHCG24 process.

nyys September 8th, 2011 06:44 PM

Is Gor'Vath a single or double spaced figure?

Killometer September 8th, 2011 11:15 PM

Last time he came through I think the decision was that he fits on a Deathwalker base.

sir william the bold September 9th, 2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1476388)
As flameslayer said, the SoV only reviews individual units. Such a large project as you're suggesting, sir william, would benefit from being addressed in a dedicated format, either in the Maps & Scenarios forum, or the Other Customization & HS Additions forum.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Now I would like to know if any of you SoV guys could help me in this project? Having low rep doesn't help people accept the idea, and if I was running the show I'm almost certain the thread would never take off. Perhaps one of you who is well respected on this site, could PM me with some help on getting this dream into a reality.

</IMG>

robbdaman September 9th, 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killometer (Post 1477323)
Last time he came through I think the decision was that he fits on a Deathwalker base.

He does but I was dropping him on double spaced these days for some more maneuverability. Helps speed him up across water if needed. I had tried using him with a few lowered point costs as well but it allowed to much Krug/Gor'Vath domination on occasion.

Shockma Ranyk September 9th, 2011 06:58 PM

Is anyone else having problems seeing the card for samuelfrost's submission? It appears to have been moved or deleted from photoshop, according to the image now in its place.

Killometer September 9th, 2011 07:16 PM

I think he removed it to work on it a bit more after some of the feedback he got here.