Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Doctor Octopus (I) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=36114)

clembo2021 October 24th, 2012 03:17 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Octopus

1145, not too shabby. Bane could also help the LexCorp boost up their attack and defense which would be nice. Too bad Bane's not a criminal too, then it'd really be a nasty team, but that'd be a bit OP. :)

IAmBatman October 24th, 2012 05:22 PM

I'm glad something that nasty is over 1,000 at least. :-)

Dysole July 21st, 2014 09:25 PM

Note For Concern

This is coming up in the HoSS forums concerning the AT-ST Walker but it originated over there. It would seem that multiple players (myself included) have interpreted Expert Climbing as meaning that Octavius gets to ignore height when traveling up 2 levels instead of halving movement up elevations as intended. The wording is a bit ambiguous. I'm wondering if there is a cleaner way to state the intended effect.

~Dysole, aiming for clarity

IAmBatman July 21st, 2014 10:26 PM

I'm not sure exactly where the confusion lies or what the difference is between the two there. Can you provide some examples?

caps July 21st, 2014 10:57 PM

In the former interpretation of the power, it has no effect on movement between hexes that are more than 2 height apart from each other. In the latter, it affects all vertical movement.

I've been confused on this point as well. I initially thought it was the latter, then I read the card after more experience with card language and thought the card clearly meant the former, but then I saw something that made me think the intention was the latter. I honestly still am not sure what it is supposed to be.

japes July 21st, 2014 11:04 PM

EXPERT CLIMBING
When counting spaces for Doctor Octopus' movement, elevation changes of up to 2 levels count as one space. You may ignore Doctor Octopus' height of 5 when climbing.

So I believe the question is...
1. does a step of 2 just get ignored and counted as one space and the move continues

or

2. for instance a climb of 4 counts as 2, 6 counts as 3 and so on...
???
I think I was more confused after reading Caps summary.

examples would probably help.

Yodaking July 21st, 2014 11:17 PM

There is a FAQ in the FP and I know we had this conversation once before. I think it took place in Ghostriders's thread though.

*edit* yup, the Ghostrider thread has an explanation here & here.

IAmBatman July 21st, 2014 11:25 PM

Each time you'd make a movement that you'd go up 2 spaces in, that counts as only 1 space. The power doesn't only trigger for the totality of his Move phase, but for each time he would move a space.

Dysole July 22nd, 2014 07:58 AM

Understood

I'm not saying that's not the intention. I'm saying that's not what the wording says. Case for clarity. Interpretation 1 is the one that I and several others have been operating under. Interpretation 2 is the one that C3G wants it to be.

Octavius is on level 1 next to a level 5. Under Interpretation 1 it takes five move to get up there. Under interpretation 2 it takes three move to get up there. I can't help but think there has to be a cleaner way to word it since caps now makes the 4th person I'm aware of who has misread this power.

As the power currently reads the ambiguity comes in right here.

When counting spaces for Doctor Octopus's movement, elevation changes up to 2 levels count as one space. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 4 when climbing. Doctor Octopus never takes falling damage or major falling damage.

Interpretation 1 reads "up to 2 levels" as "Is this space 2 levels higher than the previous space? If yes, it counts as one space. If no, it counts as normal."

Interpretation 2 reads "up to 2 levels" as "How many spaces did this take to move? Move half of that rounded up."

I'm trying to think of a simpler way to phrase this to avoid the ambiguity. My best attempt so far has been:

Quote:

EXPERT CLIMBING

When counting spaces for Doctor Octopus's movement, elevation changes count as one space for every two levels traveled. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 4 when climbing. Doctor Octopus never takes falling damage or major falling damage.
~Dysole, not sure if it fixes the problem but probably adds better clarity

Unhinged Manchild July 22nd, 2014 09:01 AM

Wow, I see how this can be interpreted two ways now!

I don't have this guy, but I do have Lizard, who I believe also has "Expert Climbing." I've always played the card as "if he is climbing from level 1 to level 7 (6 levels higher,) it costs him 4 move total (3 to move up, due to expert climbing.)"

In this manner, we found that lizard (7 move) could climb up onto a castle tower from level 1 in just one OM! It's really cool!

I see how it could be interpreted the other way, but I guess I never thought of it that way, because even the ability name "expert climbing" seems to me that they could climb enormous things with ease.

You guys may want to do the same changes to Lizard, if any occur here.

IAmBatman July 22nd, 2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 1955574)
I'm trying to think of a simpler way to phrase this to avoid the ambiguity. My best attempt so far has been:

Quote:

EXPERT CLIMBING

When counting spaces for Doctor Octopus's movement, elevation changes count as one space for every two levels traveled. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 4 when climbing. Doctor Octopus never takes falling damage or major falling damage.
~Dysole, not sure if it fixes the problem but probably adds better clarity

I've found that just about any power if you look at it long enough has terrible amounts of ambiguity. That said, this one's always been tricky and I appreciate the efforts to try to help clarify it. And this is a pretty good attempt as well! I'd support a change if the wording gurus we have (SirG and quozl would be great) agree that it doesn't change the mechanics of the power and that the intent is clearer there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwiker (Post 1955587)
Wow, I see how this can be interpreted two ways now!

I don't have this guy, but I do have Lizard, who I believe also has "Expert Climbing." I've always played the card as "if he is climbing from level 1 to level 7 (6 levels higher,) it costs him 4 move total (3 to move up, due to expert climbing.)"

In this manner, we found that lizard (7 move) could climb up onto a castle tower from level 1 in just one move! It's really cool!

I see how it could be interpreted the other way, but I guess I never thought of it that way, because even the ability name "expert climbing" seems to me that they could climb enormous things with ease.

You guys may want to do the same changes to Lizard, if any occur here.

Actually, according to Griff (who wrote the power), moving up 6 levels and one space forward would only cost Lizard 3 move. I believe this particular fiddly bit is covered in Lizard's FAQs.

dok July 22nd, 2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1955590)
Actually, according to Griff (who wrote the power), moving up 6 levels and one space forward would only cost Lizard 3 move. I believe this particular fiddly bit is covered in Lizard's FAQs.

Wow, that's another power still. OK, I'll take a run at it:
EXPERT CLIMBING

When moving up onto a space with Doctor Octopus, ignore the first two levels of elevation when counting spaces for movement, and each two levels of elevation after that only count for one space. You may ignore Doctor Octopus's height of 4 when climbing. Doctor Octopus never takes falling damage or major falling damage.
You probably still need a FAQ to clarify that three levels count as one movement and not zero, but this is about the tightest I can make it given the desired effect.