Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Rules & FAQ's (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do you break a lame stalemate? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39584)

Jungle Acolyte February 11th, 2012 01:15 PM

How do you break a lame stalemate?

Hello Heroscapers,

My roommates and I are recent converts to the Heroscape world—been playing for about six months now. Among all of us, we have a pretty decent collection of figures, and we play a lot. However, several times this annoying situation has happened:

My roommate has picked an unwisely-composed army. He unwittingly lets me have a good map position, and he starts to get smashed. I have holed up in a corner or on a high point with my impregnable little group of WoA and Aubriens, KoW and 4th Mass., or Syvarris, or what have you. He pulls his guys back and starts to knock down OMs without moving, saying "Pass... pass... pass..." And hey, I don't want to give up my good position, so I start to do the same thing. I clearly have the advantage, because if he were to attack me I would win.

MY QUESTION: is there any way to force a stalemate like this? Any official ruling? Clearly one or both of us is being unsportsmanlike and should be flagged for delay of game. Usually I end up giving up my position to chase him just so we can finish the game, but I'm tired of being the one to have to give into his stubbornness. Is this the only answer? :confused:

Megapower999 February 11th, 2012 01:21 PM

Re: How do you break a lame stalemate?

Try playing with a set number of rounds
At the end of round X, if both players are still standing, the highest full card total wins.

dok February 11th, 2012 01:22 PM

Go to points. If neither side makes an effort to advance or attack for a round or two, count up the remaining points on the battlefield for each army, and declare the person who is ahead the victor. Generally, what this means is that the person who is behind on points will end up mounting an assault in an effort to stave off a loss on points.

If you have this problem often you should consider playing on different maps. Well-designed maps tend to make it harder to turtle up in a corner. Check out the BoV threads in the map subforums.

Welcome to the site!

robbdaman February 11th, 2012 01:59 PM

D&D Minis had the 20 move rule where if 20 figures moved without an attack action the game ended and the victor was the player with the most points. Something similar could be done here, say 5 rounds of no attacks and the same thing happens.

Onacara February 11th, 2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

How do you break a lame stalemate?
Like this.....

:nkick:

Chachi February 11th, 2012 03:11 PM

I started a thread about this recently. We have the same problem. There are tons of ways. The one I currently use (since we use MASSIVE maps and 6-8 players) is if you are down to one hero/squad, it MUST advance towards the nearest enemy and engage if possible.

screwDriver February 11th, 2012 03:38 PM

Obviously, your roommate is tired of losing. It's time to end the competition and start playing for fun. Choose a fun army instead of your usual formidable ones. The type where you don't really care if you win or loss but rather enjoying each battle. Let your roommate win a few games, and perhaps things might change for the better.

Agent Minivann February 11th, 2012 06:51 PM

Use round limits and/or objectives if stalemates become a regular problem. As far as resolving in the game go to points. If there is still a problem there is the d20 rule from the rulebook. High roll wins.

legoboy February 11th, 2012 07:24 PM

I'd suggest playing using some of the official scenarios. Or play using different army build rules.

Scapemage February 11th, 2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legoboy (Post 1558300)
I'd suggest playing using some of the official scenarios. Or play using different army build rules.

I agree.Those scenarios often have a round limit. IMO,passing is saying "I don't want to play.", unless of course there's a legitimate reason, which in this case, there really isn't.

Shedim Kabal February 11th, 2012 10:14 PM

General Brainstorming on End Game Dragging On

Alternate Play Styles to Kill 'Em All

Most competitive play is limited to 45-60 minutes, after which time points are counted (points killed or remaining).

There's also Restricted Lists and such. For example, let's say you win with Raelin and Q9 in the first match. In the second match, you can't take Raelin and Q9. Let's say you still win, but with 10th and Marcus; then in the third match you can't take Raelin, Q9, the 10th or Marcus...

Then there's Reverse the Whip - play ten rounds, count points, then switch armies and play another ten rounds...

Souron February 11th, 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megapower999 (Post 1558136)
Try playing with a set number of rounds
At the end of round X, if both players are still standing, the highest full card total wins.

Mega power is actually very correct. The traditional rules state that you play to X amount of rounds, and, if both players are still standing, he who has more points wins.