Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Using Magic: AotP figures in Heroscape? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54485)

Astroking112 November 26th, 2017 11:59 PM

Re: Using Magic: AotP figures in Heroscape?

Given that so many people seem to be fine with Planeswalkers but not the creatures customs, I think that it could be useful to create a poll for what colors of the unpainted minis people are content with. Personally, if I don't like how one of the minis looks, I'll just refrain from using it, but it's still probably worth gathering some more detailed feedback.

Although being unpainted, the red and blue colors in particular just scream potential to me. Seeing an entire Moltarn/Fire faction be developed would be a dream come true, and the blue ones don't look bad, either.

Lord Pyre November 27th, 2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroking112 (Post 2169660)
Given that so many people seem to be fine with Planeswalkers but not the creatures customs, I think that it could be useful to create a poll for what colors of the unpainted minis people are content with. Personally, if I don't like how one of the minis looks, I'll just refrain from using it, but it's still probably worth gathering some more detailed feedback.

Although being unpainted, the red and blue colors in particular just scream potential to me. Seeing an entire Moltarn/Fire faction be developed would be a dream come true, and the blue ones don't look bad, either.

But for those of us who do paint, we just lost out on that fire faction because we wanted our goblins to look normal. :p

I’m obviously biased because I paint, but I’d like to have the unpainted minis be normal and not some weird elemental just because if no paint. Get some pictures of someone’s paint job for the card.

Tornado November 27th, 2017 01:27 PM

Do the Gnids come pre-painted?

Taeblewalker November 27th, 2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2169700)
Do the Gnids come pre-painted?

Yes.

Sir Yeshua November 27th, 2017 04:36 PM

I didn't realize the Goblins were the see-through plastic too. Go figure.

With how recently the sets were in print and how cheaply WoTC is dropping them, I feel like this isn't something can simply dismiss completely. The Core Set alone at an absolute minimum contains 3 usable 3 man squads and 4 Heroes. That's like 2 1/2 packs in a Wave for 2020 ;)
But seriously, the Leyline Phantoms could be nightmares or related to The Varja, the Phoenixes and Firecats could be played straight or be new and exciting Fire Elementals.
Nissa could become an Elf hero, maybe a Cleric with a tree-boosted heal,
Jace is easily turned into a Blue Mage, and if we want to play off his illusions we totally can. (Maybe like C3G's Dr. Doom/Doombots or Mysterio/Mysterio Holograms?)
Chandra could make a really awesome antithesis to Evar Scarcarver (For the five of us who liked him :lol:)
Liliana can become almost any kind of mage, who's to say she needs to say a necromancer?

Obviously I'm gonna start making some customs of my own, but let's be honest: how many VC cards can you pick up for $5?

quozl November 28th, 2017 11:29 PM

Can we get all the Heroscape units converted over to Arena of the Planeswalkers instead?

Astroking112 November 29th, 2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quozl (Post 2169928)
Can we get all the Heroscape units converted over to Arena of the Planeswalkers instead?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally am not at all interested by the changes that Arena of the Planeswalkers made, especially in dealing with a spell deck. It would also be far more work to convert all of the HeroScape units over to that game, since there are so many more in existence.

That isn't to knock the idea, though. C3V/SoV and C3G have all gained a lot of traction here, and if the Magic community wants to start their own similar custom project, the HeroScape miniatures would be excellent choices. I just won't be participating in that project, since HeroScape appeals to me more.

1moreheroscaper November 29th, 2017 09:32 PM

To add to my voting for the 3rd option...
I would even accept the unpainted unique squads as magical/ethereal elements only...with the unpainted figures helping game play allowing a visual difference from the classic heroscape "story line" physically summoned units via the wellsprings.

If the unpainted were also incorporated, I would like to see the magical summon potential if possible, like Rechets of Bogdan or an airborne drop mechanic without having to incorporate spell cards.

Gwydion December 1st, 2017 02:45 AM

At the very least I think the pre-painted figures ought to be used. They're of solid quality, widely available, and the vast majority of 'Scapers probably already have them. While I don't think the unpainted minis are nearly as nice, I honestly think that because of availability/people having them already, combined with the fact that it's already so difficult to find suitable figures, it would be passing up a pretty great opportunity to not use them for C3V/SoV. At least the leyline phantoms, firecats, phoenixes, and some of the others that look alright unpainted could be used. Just my thoughts.

Soundwarp SG-1 December 5th, 2017 03:21 PM

Man, I must have really bad luck. I keep hearing about the 'quality' of the painted figures in the AotP sets, but I've yet to get a walker that didn't look like chewed bubblegum smeared in poop out of the four sets I own.

dok December 5th, 2017 03:28 PM

I like using the transluscent figures as phantoms/holograms/illusions/whatever. Leave the rest of the unpainted figures in the box, except as possible proxies for other units we design.

Pumpkin_King December 5th, 2017 03:35 PM

Do agree with that. There’s maybe a couple you could maaaayne say were some kind of golem construct (the green ones come to mind) but there’s more than enough between all the painted and transculent figures.