Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Green Lantern (Guy Gardner) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31370)

Hahma July 29th, 2010 06:43 AM

Re: Green Lantern: Guy Gardner - Design Phase

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 1159491)
I think 320 is a pretty good spot for him, though. I mean, I know we've made some slobberknockers lately, but 320 is nothing to be ashamed of. ;)
And don't worry, I wasn't sweating this one with everything that's been going on lately. Definitely don't push yourself beyond reason.
Personally I'm taking a break from playtesting at the moment - I might pick back up this weekend.

Oh I'm definitely not pushing it. In fact, I just put away the figures and cards (b&W printed paper ones :)) away from Test 1 and chose and army for Test 2 and brought out those figures and cards. So one step down and test as I can, a round or two at a time and then the big finish. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1159521)
I think that the defense change is great. That is going to encourage me to keep Over Extending by placing wounds on him, and keep using the Shield to defend against attacks. I know he will diminish that way, but the attrition of his attacks could balance him out and be brutal. Deadpool's double attack of 4 is pretty darn scary at times too.

I may have only burned his BM once or twice max for WO even before the change. That BM is way more important to me than a life or two, but if he had whiffed vs. a 3 skull attack and gotten 3 wounds early, he had no choice but to burn BM's for WO if the situation warranted it.

Griffin July 29th, 2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

WILLFUL OVEREXTEND
After taking a turn with this Green Lantern, you may place a wound marker on this card or remove one green Battery Marker from this card and take another turn with him. You may only use this power once during a round.
When it comes to double attacks or activations, when you want to limit it to just one additional time, the official precedent is to spell that out. Also, "use this power once during" seems very awkward. I realize that you and I both usually don't worry about wording until much later on, but these were just a couple of things I noticed, so I figured I would go ahead and fix them up for you as best as I could. Oh, and when you re-reference the figure that is frenzying at the end of the power, like the Aubrien Archers, you say their name again, not just say "him". And when you reference a single wound and a single marker, it should be done the same way instead of using "a" and "one", either or is fine when looking at many official precedents (though I prefer "a" as "one" blends in too much with the "one additional turn" directly after it), but it should be used consistently in the same power at least.

Quote:

WILLFUL OVEREXTEND
After taking a turn with this Green Lantern, you may place a wound marker on this card or remove a green Battery Marker from this card and take one additional turn with this Green Lantern. You may only use Willful Overextend once per round.

A3n July 29th, 2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1159683)
Quote:

WILLFUL OVEREXTEND
After taking a turn with this Green Lantern, you may place a wound marker on this card or remove a green Battery Marker from this card and take one additional turn with this Green Lantern. You may only use Willful Overextend once per round.

:thumbsup:

IAmBatman July 29th, 2010 05:22 PM

I actually worded the power very carefully, Griff. :-)

My version:
Quote:

WILLFUL OVEREXTEND
After taking a turn with this Green Lantern, you may place a wound marker on this card or remove one green Battery Marker from this card and take another turn with him. You may only use this power once during a round.
Overextend Attack from Alastair MacDirk (my basis and the clear precedent for this power):
Quote:

OVEREXTEND ATTACK
After taking a turn with Alastair MacDirk, you may place a wound marker on Alastair MacDirk and take another turn with him. You may only use this power once during a round.
Your version:
Quote:

WILLFUL OVEREXTEND
Now if we want to depart from official precedent because we like how yours reads better, I'm fine with that. I've definitely grown to the point where I don't think we absolutely have to word everything exactly the same as official stuff as long as our wording is clear, concise, and reads in a way that doesn't sound "customy" to our trained ears.
That said, I figured you'd want to know where my thinking came on this one before we as a group decided where to go on this.

A3n July 29th, 2010 07:08 PM

I think if there is an official wording for a power that we aren't requiring to modify then we use it. By modifying, I don't mean just adding another clause like in this case, so I think staying with the official wording here is the best choice.

Cheers

Griffin July 29th, 2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1160305)
I think if there is an official wording for a power that we aren't requiring to modify then we use it. By modifying, I don't mean just adding another clause like in this case, so I think staying with the official wording here is the best choice.

Cheers

That McDirk card is old, and it has several very old precedents that are no longer used. Everything that I suggested was based on more commonly used precedents, but it isn't that big of a deal to me, I just wanted to help.

Bats, if you want to know what common precedents I used, I could tell you, but if you don't care it is no big deal to me either. As long as the reader knows what we are saying, we are fine. I am much less concerned about "official wording" these days, but I am willing to work towards that goal if "we" agree that is what we prefer.

Spidey'tilIDie July 29th, 2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 1160305)

Cheers

What he said.

IAmBatman July 30th, 2010 12:26 AM

I just figured since the powers were essentially the same exact thing beyond the Battery Marker inclusion, that the power would be less confusing to those familiar with Valhallascape if we kept the current wording (and so no reason to really reinvent the wheel).
That said, like I said, I'm not totally in love with official wording here, so if people like the other wording better I'm cool with that too.
I just wanted you guys to know that what's in the first post wasn't something I pulled from my heiny or anything.

Hahma July 30th, 2010 07:06 AM

Re: GL: Guy Gardner - Design (initial playtest in progress)

I'm fine either way for the wording.

I added the mid-level and squad tests to the test sheet (need it linked to first post please :D). Those tests were done before change to defense of 2. I have finished both army tests with the changed defense and will write those up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hahma July 30th, 2010 12:26 PM

I managed to get Army Test 1 added to test sheet during lunch. :D

I also just added Army Test 2 results to test sheet during some FO time :D

My test sheet is complete Mr. Bats.

Griffin July 30th, 2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 1160863)
I managed to get Army Test 1 added to test sheet during lunch. :D

So do you have the day off, or do you have a Heroscape table in your office at work? ;)

IAmBatman July 30th, 2010 05:06 PM

Sorry for not being more proactive on the link, Hahma! And thanks for all the playtesting. :-) I'll circle back here once I'm more caught up and read your results, rep you if I can, and propose this one for the ERB phase if I don't see anything amiss.