Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Contests and Forum Games (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Marvel Custom Glyph Contest! WINNERS, RE-UPDATED PRIZE LIST (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=13316)

Taeblewalker October 18th, 2007 10:58 PM

Marvel Custom Glyph Contest! WINNERS, RE-UPDATED PRIZE LIST

AND THE WINNERS!

First Place!
Pallindromemaster – Painfully Slow Hourglass Death Device Complete With Pirannhas!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...velglyph-2.png[/quote]

Second Place!
Firemaster – Oz Formula!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...rmulaGlyph.png
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ormulaCard.png

Third Place!
Brickman1444 – X-ray Specs!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ecsglyph-2.jpg

All the rest get honorable mentions!!!!!!

GREAT CONTEST!

GREAT ENTRIES!

EXCELSIOR!!!!!!

As prizes are claimed, they will be highlighted in blue.

Prize list:

1) Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness book (not the original Marvel Zombies book, but the sequel; sorry about any confusion) - Pallindromemaster
2) World War Z book - Firemaster
3) Marvel Two-in-One The Thing and Ben Grimm comic
4) Wolverine the Jungle Adventure
5) Stygian Knight Marvel RPG module (I thought I had an extra of Cat's Paw, but it's Stygian Knight; again, for anyone who cares, sorry about the confusion)
6) A wish list Marvel strategy guide Marvel unit (you pick the unit, I'll write the guide; but I already do Red Skull so pick someone else)
Captain America - MajorQ30

Old News
Face front, True Believers! Welcome to the first ever Marvel Custom Glyph Contest! This contest will run concurrently with the regular Custom Glyph Contest 2. The rules are somewhat different to reflect the flavor of the Marvel set, so heed them well!

First, we (the judges) have decided that these glyphs should assume that only the Marvel units are being used. This is to keep the Marvel flavor alive. The glyphs can still affect classic units, so long as they are designed primarily for the Marvel units. For example, Captain America is a Soldier. It's OK to make a glyph that affects Soldiers (including many classic unit such as Sgt. Drake Alexander), since Cap will be the primary recipient!

While we are asking that you only consider the Marvel Legends set for your glyph, we are also asking that you take into account the classic glyphs to determine originality. We will not give a high rating to an Attack +1 glyph!

For those of you familiar with the current contest, note very carefully the categories below, as they are different. In particular, Ease of Use has been deleted, since we expect that Marvel glyphs will potentially entail some board-changing abilities, including maybe even some Doctor Doom devices!

Here are the rules:
1) Design a new custom Marvel glyph.
2) Fit the wording and picture of the glyph on one glyph card
3) Fit the name and picture of the glyph on one glyph blank
4) Post it on this thread!
5) One entry per person please! If you share an account with a significant other, then please identify who is entering which glyph, and post both glyphs on the same account.

You may continue to update or change your glyph right up until the due date.

Find glyph and glyph card blanks here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=269

Prizes will include (but are not limited to):
A Marvel RPG module, Cat's Paw
A wish list Marvel strategy guide Marvel unit (you pick the unit, I'll write the guide; but I'm already doing Red Skull so pick someone else)
Marvel Zombies Vs. Army of Darkness book
World War Z - the bestseller sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide

There will be a first prize, second prize, third prize, and several honorable mentions. Prizes will be shipped to you.

The contest judgement date will be November 10, 2007! So what are you waiting for?

Judging will be in the following areas:

1) Originality - don't make an Attack +2 glyph!
2) Game Balance - does it break the game? Does it make any figures too powerful? Does it nerf too many units?
3) Clarity - the power has to be clearly understandable. Remember when Rannveig first came out? Hasbro had to answer some questions, in particular whether a figure may fly after walking one space off of it (it may). Don't word your card like Taelord's Disengage and Stealth Flying!
4) Smooth insertion - a glyph that requires extra game mechanics or custom units does not fit as seamlessly as one that just boosts an existing stat or common power (like flying, bonding, etc.) Custom units or destructible objects, etc., that are needed to activate a glyph reduce the entry's Smooth Insertion value by 1 out of 5. It is assumed by the judges that the glyph will be "bought" in the same "booster pack" as the glyph.
5) Excelsior Quality! In the spirit of Stan Lee, we want these glyphs to reflect True Marvel Tradition at its best. Make them heroic! Make them something of which Stan would be proud!

Variations on existing glyphs are OK, as long as they are somewhat original. Simply increasing an Attack or Defense boost is probably not going to win the Originality category.

To give you an idea of Excelsior Quality, I envision the glyph of Petrov: Fastball Special. Choose a unique hero you control. Next, choose a small or medium friendly figure with a Range of 1 that is adjacent to the unique hero you have chosen. You may place that figure on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of the unique hero, as long as that space is adjacent to an enemy figure. You may attack any figure adjacent to the thrown figure with a +1 to the figure's Attack.

This is just off the top of my head; I am sure you will think of better glyphs! 8)

Hex_Enduction_Hour October 18th, 2007 11:30 PM

Ooooh, this sounds good!
Wish Silverstoner would return and grace us with some of his Marvel glyphs..

Taeblewalker October 18th, 2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Ooooh, this sounds good!
Wish Silverstoner would return and grace us with some of his Marvel glyphs..

I'm glad you approve! As for Silver Surf, er, Stoner, pre-made original customs are welcome!

brickman1444 October 19th, 2007 07:58 AM

I am away from my usual computer right now so I can't make the card yet but I have the idea. I'll also reword it later to sound more official.

Quote:

X-Ray Specs

Temporary Glyph

When a figure steps on this glyph, choose one friendly unique hero and place the X-Ray Specs marker on its card. That figure no longer needs LOS to attack.
For the picture I'm going to try to emulate those old x-rays specs that were sold on the backs of comic books.

Taeblewalker October 19th, 2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickman1444
I am away from my usual computer right now so I can't make the card yet but I have the idea. I'll also reword it later to sound more official.

Quote:

X-Ray Specs

Temporary Glyph

When a figure steps on this glyph, choose one friendly unique hero and place the X-Ray Specs marker on its card. That figure no longer needs LOS to attack.
For the picture I'm going to try to emulate those old x-rays specs that were sold on the backs of comic books.

Dear gods! A fix for Major Q9's shoulder pads! For Marvel, I think this will really help figures standing on the warehouse ruin to see over the pseudo-battlements. They will also let a figure see through the warehouse ruin!

Taeblewalker October 19th, 2007 02:15 PM

Regarding the battlefield, I want to encourage you all to consider using the classic terrain, including lava, water, road set, ice, castles, etc. Just limit the game to Marvel units for the primary context of your concept!

I have used the road terrain and water tiles plus trees to make great city parks and fountains. Sewers can be made with either regular water or swamp water. Dr. Doom's castle can be made with the Fortress of the Archkyrie. The possibilities are endless.

The upshot of all this is that if you want a glyph with game mechanics that are extremely relevant to the exact height of a castle wall, by all means do so. If you want a glyph that relates to water terrain, do so as well. Just make sure it has the Excelsior! Quality.

Finally, along with your glyph entry, you may specify which terrain goes with the glyph. A glyph of Slither is a no-brainer, but if you want a glyph like Monkeyman's Gravlift from the classic glyph contest, feel free to say in your post that you expect a castle set to be available.

Thanks! 8)

Firemaster October 20th, 2007 01:34 AM

All right, I've got my entry. I haven't made the card yet, but I figure I'd post the wording to get the kinks ironed out before I put it together:

OZ FORMULA
When a unique hero figure steps on this glyph, you may place this glyph on that figure's army card. If you do, that figure adds 2 to its attack and defense, and gains the following ability:

TEMPORARY INSANITY
After revealing an order marker on this card, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, choose an opponent. That opponent will now control this figure for the remainder of your turn, but will not be able to view any unrevealed order markers on this card. At the end of that turn, control of this figure returns to you. All order markers and figures that were on this Army Card will stay on this Army Card.

Once placed on an Army Card, this glyph may not be removed in any way.

brickman1444 October 20th, 2007 09:38 AM

So if you reveal an order marker on his card, then one of your opponents has a chance to take that turn with him instead?

ThrasherDarkrai October 20th, 2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

So if you reveal an order marker on his card, then one of your opponents has a chance to take that turn with him instead?

Yep. You gain 2 attack and defense, but he has a 25% chance to take a turn with the guy instead. Clever, if you ask me.

brickman1444 October 20th, 2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:

Yep. You gain 2 attack and defense, but he has a 25% chance to take a turn with the guy instead. Clever, if you ask me.

Okay, I would just change the number to roll to be 5 or less becuase generally the lower the roll the worst it is.

Taeblewalker October 21st, 2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, I would just change the number to roll to be 5 or less becuase generally the lower the roll the worse it is.

Generally that's true, but it's not in Marcu Eisenwein's case, and that's so Lodin can't help you. If you want to really mimic Eternal Hatred, leave it at 16.

On a side note, what does Oz represent, in comics (if anything?) It sounds like a bit of the Mad Hatter or someone like that influenced this glyph.

Firemaster October 21st, 2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, I would just change the number to roll to be 5 or less becuase generally the lower the roll the worse it is.

Generally that's true, but it's not in Marcu Eisenwein's case, and that's so Lodin can't help you. If you want to really mimic Eternal Hatred, leave it at 16.

On a side note, what does Oz represent, in comics (if anything?) It sounds like a bit of the Mad Hatter or someone like that influenced this glyph.

In the 'classic' comics, it is known as the Goblin Formula. It is what turned Norman Osborne into the Green Goblin. In the Ultimate universe, it is called the Oz Formula. Do you think it would be better for it to be called the Goblin Formula instead?