Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Spider-Man (Ultimate) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=60953)

Alexandros August 6th, 2022 12:50 AM

The Book of Spider-Man (Ultimate)

The Book of Spider-Man (Ultimate)

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 37
BIG RESPONSIBILITIES

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...ate)_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...mate)_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Ultimates set.
Its model number and name are #40-42 / Spider-Man.

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Ultimates set.
Its model number and name are #214 / Peter Parker.

Character Bio - Orphaned at the age of six, the Peter Parker of Earth 1610 is an outcast and withdrawn teenaged science prodigy from Queens, NY. His life changed forever during a trip to Oscorp, where he was bitten by a radioactive spider and given his spectacular super powers. Spider-Man is a neophyte superhero- guilt-stricken by the loss of his uncle- who quickly impresses A-lister like Captain America, Iron Man, Nick Fury, and Wolverine with his willingness to learn and strong moral code. Ultimately, the world learned that Peter was struck down in a battle with the Green Goblin after taking a bullet to save Captain America, inspiring Miles Morales to fill his shoes and become Spider-Man. Unbeknownst to much of Earth-1610, the Oz Serum that mutated Peter Parker gave him another superpower: immortality.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Alexandros August 6th, 2022 12:50 AM

Re: The Book of Spider-Man (Peter Benjamin Parker) - Design

NAME = Spider-Man (Earth 1610)
SECRET IDENTITY = PETER PARKER (Crossover Symbol)

SPECIES = MUTATE
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = CRIME FIGHTER
PERSONALITY = RESOLUTE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 4

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 170

ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
If a friendly figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man would receive one or more wounds from an enemy figure's attack, if possible, Spider-Man may use Swing Line to move adjacent to the defending figure. If he does, Spider-Man must receive those wounds instead.

STEP UP
When Spider-Man or a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man receives one or more wounds from an enemy figure's attack, or the Ultimate Sacrifice special power, during your next player turn, you may add 2 to Spider-Man's Attack number while attacking that opponent's figure with an adjacent normal attack.

SWING LINE 4
Instead of his normal move, Spider-Man may move up to 4 spaces with Swing Line. When moving with Swing Line, Spider-Man has the Flying special power, but may not move up or down more than 40 levels in a single swing, and will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

SUPER STRENGTH

Alexandros August 6th, 2022 12:55 AM

Original Post
Spoiler Alert!

Comic Art

Figure Pic

Skinderella August 6th, 2022 08:54 AM

The art post should have mini photos, comic art, and potential backgrounds for the minis. Don't have to get them straight away, I didn't get Cammy backgrounds until her playtesting was pretty much done. For an idea how to lay that out just look at some of the other books. I've always done it with the 3 sections in their own spoilers. You'll want some large images. First one might be okay but is a bit blurry. Second one is very small and probably won't fit on the card too well.

Design looks good! Is there a certain faction in mind for him? I can see him being great in a Fighter build, keeping Luke Cage or Wolverine healthy. And always been a fan of Go The Distance.

MrNobody August 6th, 2022 09:07 AM

Yeah I feel like it’s gotta be Bagley!

Something we discussed when approving the design - it’d be neat if he had something a bit more active to do during his turn. Currently, his gameplay will
mostly look like moving him up, then having him sit around using his passive powers.

That probably looks like switching up Swing Line for something more involved. That kinda sucks, since Swing Line is such a classic ‘amateur Spidey’ power, but now that we’re like…30 Spiders in, it could be worth switching it up.

Arch-vile August 6th, 2022 10:16 AM

I'd suggest making the name Peter Parker with a Crossover symbol. I feel like Peter Parker synergy is something that's inevitable down the line, whether for a civilian Peter Parker, Mary Jane, etc. and it'd be a bummer for this Spidey to miss out on that. I'm guessing you went with Peter Benjamin Parker in case we get a second Ultimate Spidey down the line, but personally I think it's fine if they end up being played together.

IAmBatman August 6th, 2022 12:11 PM

Valiant is an interesting personality choice here. Is it thematic for him to be able to pick up Mjolnir?

Alexandros August 6th, 2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2527665)
Valiant is an interesting personality choice here. Is it thematic for him to be able to pick up Mjolnir?

In 1610, Magneto picked up Mjolnir. Anyone could. :p That said I'm not committed to the personality type, I just looked through the list until I found one that seemed good. I wasn't aware of the Mjolnir synergies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 2527645)
I'd suggest making the name Peter Parker with a Crossover symbol. I feel like Peter Parker synergy is something that's inevitable down the line, whether for a civilian Peter Parker, Mary Jane, etc. and it'd be a bummer for this Spidey to miss out on that. I'm guessing you went with Peter Benjamin Parker in case we get a second Ultimate Spidey down the line, but personally I think it's fine if they end up being played together.

I'm in favor of the crossover symbol. I originally wanted to give him a Thanos-esque resurrection power, and since a number of people I talked to at the time did not like that aspect of the character I kind of felt some pressure to remove it in the spirit of collaboration. Someone suggested changing his secret identity to leave the door open for a V2, but even if that happened they could *both* have crossover symbols.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2527631)
Yeah I feel like it’s gotta be Bagley!

100%!

Quote:

Something we discussed when approving the design - it’d be neat if he had something a bit more active to do during his turn. Currently, his gameplay will
mostly look like moving him up, then having him sit around using his passive powers.

That probably looks like switching up Swing Line for something more involved. That kinda sucks, since Swing Line is such a classic ‘amateur Spidey’ power, but now that we’re like…30 Spiders in, it could be worth switching it up.
I'm in agreement that he could probably use a more active power and have had that exact thought. Something that comes to mind is some kind of power representing his ability to perform under pressure, maybe an attack buff if he's adjacent to opposing figures? Alternatively, we could look at his history of having mentor figures and do something aming those lines.

I am somewhat hesitant to cut Swing Line, if only because it feels odd that he wouldn't have Spider-Verse synergies. Is there a way we can achieve that without adding a fourth, fully fleshed out power?

Skinderella August 6th, 2022 12:31 PM

Is he involved in Spider-Verse? Could just add the Spider-Verse tag to a power if you didn't give him one of the swinging powers.

Alexandros August 6th, 2022 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinderella (Post 2527626)
The art post should have mini photos, comic art, and potential backgrounds for the minis. Don't have to get them straight away, I didn't get Cammy backgrounds until her playtesting was pretty much done. For an idea how to lay that out just look at some of the other books. I've always done it with the 3 sections in their own spoilers. You'll want some large images. First one might be okay but is a bit blurry. Second one is very small and probably won't fit on the card too well.

Design looks good! Is there a certain faction in mind for him? I can see him being great in a Fighter build, keeping Luke Cage or Wolverine healthy. And always been a fan of Go The Distance.

Wow, I forgot to respond to this 💀

I'd love him to play well with fighters, in my mind he's very street level. Would also like to see him in Spider-Verse builds if possible but think the first route is more interesting.

Tornado August 6th, 2022 12:40 PM

I think you can do both?

Splash August 6th, 2022 12:47 PM

Yup what Skin said, if you replace Swing Line, you just put
Spider-Verse: Punchy Swingy power or whatever you wanna call it.

IAmBatman August 6th, 2022 01:33 PM

For the Mjolnir thing just wanted to make sure you were aware of the interaction and that it was desirable. :up:

Splash August 6th, 2022 02:05 PM

Yeah, synergies are here if you wanna see what personalities grant you. ;)

MrNobody August 6th, 2022 02:23 PM

Yeah I’d avoid Valiant, we’ve historically saved that for Superman and Thor types. Something that sells this as a younger Spidey would be cool.

Spider Agility off of Ghost Spider and Miles II is a fun lightweight active ability. All 3 current powers are pretty simple, so he could probably handle a 4th?

Skinderella August 6th, 2022 02:39 PM

Some other options too, if you want something that keeps a bit of web movement, are perhaps something akin to Web Slinger from the first C3G Spider-Man, or Acrobatic Arachnid from Spider-Man (Transformers).

Spider Agility is a fun power though, love Ghost Spider and Miles II!

Splash August 6th, 2022 03:07 PM

I like the "attack buff if engaged" idea, come to think of it, I don't know if any other Spiders have it, which is surprising since for someone with super strength the punches should hit harder than the ranged webs. Spidey should have like 6 attack like old cap up close.

Lord Pyre August 6th, 2022 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2527696)
I like the "attack buff if engaged" idea, come to think of it, I don't know if any other Spiders have it, which is surprising since for someone with super strength the punches should hit harder than the ranged webs. Spidey should have like 6 attack like old cap up close.

Almost every spider has something that encourages them to be up close, usually not just an attack bull. Spider Agility on Gwen and Anya and Miles is double attack only if engaged for example. Spider Slinger only technically works while adjacent. Etc… it was something we specifically planned for.

Ericth74 August 6th, 2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2527696)

Noir Spider-Man has a bonus on his shakedown power.

Alexandros August 9th, 2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrNobody (Post 2527692)
Yeah I’d avoid Valiant, we’ve historically saved that for Superman and Thor types. Something that sells this as a younger Spidey would be cool.

Spider Agility off of Ghost Spider and Miles II is a fun lightweight active ability. All 3 current powers are pretty simple, so he could probably handle a 4th?

How would we just feel about giving him Spider-Agility and upping his cost a little?

I don't love the idea of removing his swinging power because it would just kinda feel awkward to have him easily hindered during movement.

Alexandros August 13th, 2022 11:41 AM

Friendly neighborhood thread bump.

IAmBatman August 13th, 2022 11:45 AM

What’s the text on Spider Agility?

Alexandros August 13th, 2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2529421)
What’s the text on Spider Agility?

An example from Ghost Spider:
Quote:

SPIDER-AGILITY 2
After Ghost-Spider attacks an adjacent figure, she may move up to 2 spaces with her Swing Line special power. If she moves at least one space, she may attack an adjacent figure one additional time.

IAmBatman August 13th, 2022 12:42 PM

That wouldn't be the worst addition. You could also go with Web Swing instead of Swing Line and put a Spider-verse tag on Ultimate Sacrifice.

tcglkn August 14th, 2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2529431)
That wouldn't be the worst addition. You could also go with Web Swing instead of Swing Line and put a Spider-verse tag on Ultimate Sacrifice.

Why would you need a Spider-Verse tag there? All the powers also call out Web Swing.

Alexandros August 14th, 2022 12:49 AM

Quote:

I'm not opposed to Web Swing, but I'd rather see Swing Line. Swing Line was introduced as a way to make the character a more "active" player on his turns, rather than just being something you play for the passives. I don't feel like Web Swing solves this issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcglkn (Post 2529544)
Quote:

Why would you need a Spider-Verse tag there? All the powers also call out Web Swing.

Good callout. Thank you!

IAmBatman August 14th, 2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandros (Post 2529546)
Quote:

I'm not opposed to Web Swing, but I'd rather see Swing Line. Swing Line was introduced as a way to make the character a more "active" player on his turns, rather than just being something you play for the passives. I don't feel like Web Swing solves this issue.

Swing Line predates Web Swing. I'm not sure what you mean by "more active" here. Web Swing just gives you more movement flexibility and little moves, which is a lot like Spider Agility, just without a double attack.

Oh, did you mean *Spider Agility* was there to make him more active and a change to a little bit more involved of a movement power isn't enough?

Alexandros August 14th, 2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2529563)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandros (Post 2529546)
Quote:

Swing Line predates Web Swing. I'm not sure what you mean by "more active" here. Web Swing just gives you more movement flexibility and little moves, which is a lot like Spider Agility, just without a double attack.

Oh, did you mean *Spider Agility* was there to make him more active and a change to a little bit more involved of a movement power isn't enough?

I'm sorry, I got mixed up here and had confused Swing Line with Spider-Agility.

IAmBatman August 14th, 2022 11:30 AM

I guess if we're going with "amateur" Spidey, then Spider-Agility feels off?

Alexandros August 14th, 2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2529596)
I guess if we're going with "amateur" Spidey, then Spider-Agility feels off?

Miles and Ghost Spider have similar levels of experience, no?

I'll try to think of an alternative.

IAmBatman August 14th, 2022 12:22 PM

I don't honestly know. :shrug: This guy in general isn't an area of expertise for me. Just trying to fill the vacuum of feedback a little if I can. :-P

In general I don't *love* four power cards, but I understand wanting something to give him more to do on his turn.

Is "Go the Distance" really that thematic for him?

MrNobody August 15th, 2022 12:18 AM

I like Go The Distance to keep him from being 'different flavor Jocasta.'

Maybe something like this in place of Swing Line?
Quote:

SPIDER-VERSE: WEB CONTROL
Instead of his normal move, Spider-Man may choose himself or a figure within 4 clear sight spaces and move them up to 2 spaces, during which it has the Flying special power and does not take leaving engagement attacks. After using Web Control, you may use it one additional time, but you may not choose the same figure, other than Spider-Man more than once per turn.
Web Control is a bad name and wording could probably be massaged, but I hope the idea comes across. Moving enemy figures around is hardly something new for a Spidey, but moving friendlies around easily could be useful.

Alternatively, maybe we could use Skin Of His Teeth instead of Go The Distance?
Quote:

SKIN OF HIS TEETH
Once per round, if Spider-Man would be destroyed by receiving wounds, you may instead remove an unrevealed Order Marker from this card. If you do, you must place or remove Wound Markers until he has 1 Life remaining.
Very much a similar thing, but requiring an OM on him might encourage him to be more active at times?

I still don't mind Spider-Agility either, fwiw.

IAmBatman August 15th, 2022 07:54 AM

Skin of his Teeth does feel very “young, in over his head” Spidey.

tcglkn August 15th, 2022 08:02 AM

Spider-Agility only really works as a power if he has Swing Line, if you switch out Swing Line you'll need to drop Agility.

LordVenoc August 15th, 2022 10:03 AM

Can the SP get updated with where you are at right now? Been a few suggestions here so hard to tell where you are right now. Generally like what it seems like the direction is as far as leaning him more active is. Especially dig the Skin of His Teeth direction, but might want to ping @Lord Pyre to ask if adding an Order Marker requirement here might hurt his Spider-Verse pull.

Lord Pyre August 15th, 2022 04:05 PM

Sorry about the delay, haven't had a ton of brainpower lately.

If you want to have a passive Spidey, might as well let him be a passive Spidey. I do worry a bit about the stacking of Ultimate Sacrifice, Go the Distance, and Pavitr's life saving gadgets, but I'm sure that's not the worst thing we have in this game and they're also lacking in offensive power.

If you want to force OMs on his card to try to get him used, Skin of his Teeth seems cool. For Spider-Verse synergies, Otto doesn't like others having OMs, so you'd be pushing him into more of a Spider-UK build, which is probably totally fine, just something to note. Another option is to combine the OM ideas here into a big ol' spider-life-saving-slushie.

Quote:

ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
If a friendly figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man would receive on or more wounds from an opponents normal attack, you may remove one unrevealed Order Marker from this card, and Spider-Man may use his Swing Line 4 special power. If he ends this movement adjacent to the defending figure, Spider-Man must receives those wounds instead of the defending figure.

Also nerfs it a tad in other generalist builds. Spider-Verse doesn't care about the "X" marker outside of Anti-Venom's healing, so you'd always have at least one OM on him to burn.

If you want an active combat power, I'd hit the same theme maybe to pair nicely with Sacrifice?

Quote:

POWER AND RESPONSIBILITY
When a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man receives one or more wounds from an enemy figure's attack, once during your next player turn, you may add 2 to his Attack number while attacking that figure.
That way you get the choice as a player, do the right thing and save your friend, or miss out and have to avenge Uncle Ben instead. Obviously there's not much room for anything else (I definitely would want to keep Swing Line), but it sounds like it might be fun to play.

Alexandros August 17th, 2022 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordVenoc (Post 2529781)
Can the SP get updated with where you are at right now? Been a few suggestions here so hard to tell where you are right now. Generally like what it seems like the direction is as far as leaning him more active is. Especially dig the Skin of His Teeth direction, but might want to ping @Lord Pyre to ask if adding an Order Marker requirement here might hurt his Spider-Verse pull.

Still kicking around the ideas mentioned here. Would like to get the SPs updated for consideration by tomorrow evening.

IAmBatman August 17th, 2022 05:57 PM

Sounds good. :up: No hurries, just don't leave us hanging. :-)

Alexandros August 21st, 2022 12:12 PM

How is something like this? I'm hesitant to go with 4 powers, but 3 of them are pretty text light.

Quote:

ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
If a friendly figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man would receive on or more wounds from an opponents normal attack, If possible, Spider-Man may use Swing Line to move adjacent to that figure. If he does, Spider-Man must receive those wounds instead.

GO THE DISTANCE
Once per round, if Spider-Man would be destroyed by receiving wounds, he instead takes no damage.

SWING LINE 4
Instead of his normal move, Spider-Man may move up to 4 spaces with Swing Line. When moving with Swing Line, Spider-Man has the Flying special power, but may not move up or down more than 40 levels in a single swing, and will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

SPIDER-AGILITY 2
After Spider-Man attacks an adjacent figure, he may move up to 2 spaces with his Swing Line special power. If he moves at least one space, he may attack an adjacent figure one additional time.

MrNobody August 21st, 2022 12:36 PM

I can dig it. :up: Give everything a once over for typos though.

Lord Pyre August 21st, 2022 12:45 PM

Like I said in my post, I don't really see why we have to try to shoehorn in a need to take turns with him. With as large and expansive Spider-Verse already is, we can let designs just be good at one thing. I'd rather cut Agility and let him be a passive Spidey, rather than try to shove a 4th one on there.

Or, if we really want a reason to take turns with him, make the powers a little more cohesive together. Go the Distance and Sacrifice work well together themselves, but they don't mesh with wanting to take a turn with him.

IAmBatman August 21st, 2022 02:37 PM

LP has a better read on what will make this character feel "right" than I do, so I'm happy to defer to him.

Shiftrex August 27th, 2022 11:51 AM

I agree.

I think Spider Agility is pretty unneeded here from the couple of times I've played vs Spiderverse folks. I think a passive spider is a good addition. I can see this slotting into my Luke Cage (fighter) armies for some fun.

Alexandros August 28th, 2022 05:17 PM

I'm going to be honest- this doesn't feel like a passive character, which is something I realized early in the LD. The character isn't someone who would sit and watch a fight imo.

That said, if that's what Spider-Verse and Fighter armies need most I suppose that change makes sense. I realize you can't cover every aspect of a 140+ issue run in one design.

Ericth74 August 29th, 2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandros (Post 2533694)
I'm going to be honest- this doesn't feel like a passive character, which is something I realized early in the LD. The character isn't someone who would sit and watch a fight imo.

That said, if that's what Spider-Verse and Fighter armies need most I suppose that change makes sense. I realize you can't cover every aspect of a 140+ issue run in one design.

If you don't love the design or where it's going, feel free to pull it and get it back to your vision of this Spidey. Even if it's a total redesign, you, and we, want you to be happy with it and have it be something that you and everyone else wants to play.

Lord Pyre August 29th, 2022 12:10 PM

I'll pitch this power again:

Quote:

POWER AND RESPONSIBILITY
When a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man receives one or more wounds from an enemy figure's attack, once during your next player turn, you may add 2 to his Attack number while attacking that figure.
Gives him a bit of a "reluctant" feel, but lets him hit really hard when he needs to. Still works fine with the protection power, and lets him be either a protector or avenger as needed. Paired with Otto or Pavitr, you can swap an OM to him or take a turn with him if your next turn will work really well with his attack boost.

Alexandros August 29th, 2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 2533772)
I'll pitch this power again:

Quote:

POWER AND RESPONSIBILITY
Gives him a bit of a "reluctant" feel, but lets him hit really hard when he needs to. Still works fine with the protection power, and lets him be either a protector or avenger as needed. Paired with Otto or Pavitr, you can swap an OM to him or take a turn with him if your next turn will work really well with his attack boost.

Does this have too much going on? Is it worth bumping his life up one if we remove Go the Distance?

Quote:

ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
If a friendly figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Spider-Man would receive on or more wounds from an opponents normal attack, If possible, Spider-Man may use Swing Line to move adjacent to that figure. If he does, Spider-Man must receive those wounds instead.

POWER AND RESPONSIBILITY

SWING LINE 4

Arch-vile August 29th, 2022 12:59 PM

Looks like a solid set of powers that would work well together. I think you could either go 6 life or bump up his defense with that powerset.