Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

McHotcakes July 22nd, 2015 10:12 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I've been busy irl. I'll read the thread and catch up tomorrow

McHotcakes July 23rd, 2015 01:56 PM

Ok so it looks like Kratos is pretty close to done. Aside from pinning down his exact point value I think he is looking good.

Also awesome mod @TREX

Confred July 23rd, 2015 10:06 PM

Points is 300
What I've posted in quotes is what we're voting on. If you want, I can mock up some sample images of each entry until we get official art up

Dysole July 23rd, 2015 10:40 PM

Final Run Through

Stats and sidebar look good.

BY THE GODS - Why is "this game" in there? Is there precedent? It's not like effects carry over between games.

BLADES OF EXILE - We can write "Kratos's" as "Kratos' ". Both will work; we just need to be consistent.

VENGEANCE OF KRATOS - I wonder if "attacks" fits better than "times".

CLIMB FROM TARTARUS 18 - Looks fine.

CLAWS OF HADES - If Godly Artifacts are Ancient Artifacts isn't the "this" in "this Claws of Hades card" redundant? We could just go "the".

GOLDEN FLEECE - Looks fine.

BOOTS OF HERMES - Looks fine.

NEMEAN CESTUS - Attack 3+Special. Uncertain if the second always is needed, but it does match precedent.

BOW OF APOLLO - Attack 2+Special.

Fix those and you have a :up: from me.

~Dysole, nitpickingly

TREX July 24th, 2015 12:11 PM

300 pts is pretty solid. He has died a lot of times for me at 300 and done well for confred a few times at 300. I think 300 is a pretty fitting value, as far as I can tell. @Dysole , I appreciate how you guys nitpick the text, It creates a better product in the end.

TREX July 25th, 2015 02:57 AM

play tested another couple of games with my bro. We used all of @Dysole suggestions with @Confred last written card posts. We both really dominated with him, he was very fun. I also decided that I must have really been on a bad luck streak prior to this with my 20 sider. Kratos climb from tartarus should only be at the start of every turn when you reveal an order marker after destroyed with the one time roll immediately if he's the last one. Like we had previously. Very fun to play. He can play skirmish with the boots and bow, or demolish groups of troops with his cestus and blades. I really like this guy, and 300 points seems to fit well.

Confred July 25th, 2015 11:23 AM

Re: Final Run Through

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 2035063)
Stats and sidebar look good.
1) BY THE GODS - Why is "this game" in there? Is there precedent? It's not like effects carry over between games.

It took me awhile to remember, but "this game" was added to differentiate from 'just 5 on this card at any given time'. If he had 5 Glyphs and dropped 1, he would be able to grab a 6th total if it was only "to a maximum of 5 Glyphs" or not, it wasn't clear. Adding in "this game" squashes any confusion. If he dies and loses 3 Glyphs, when he comes back, the most he could be By-the-Godded would be 2, because "this game" he already generated 3 previously, even if he has none on his card.
Note: I'm welcome to have suggestions for alternate wordings of this same effect. But "this game" is clean at only two words and it makes unmistakable sense.
Quote:

2) BLADES OF EXILE - We can write "Kratos's" as "Kratos' ". Both will work; we just need to be consistent.

I am neutral on this one, leaning to Kratos's. But I'll join the crowd on this one.
Under further review, all of the Godly Artifacts simply have an apostrophe, instead of changing all of them. I could simply change the two on Kratos.
Edit: Neat removing the two s's saved a line of text, according to MSE.

Quote:

3) VENGEANCE OF KRATOS - I wonder if "attacks" fits better than "times".

It's possible. But "times" works and may still be the most correct.
I did exhaustive research on that Here, and would rather not backtrack since it works as is. Of course, if the group wants to review it, can do.

Quote:

5) CLAWS OF HADES - If Godly Artifacts are Ancient Artifacts isn't the "this" in "this Claws of Hades card" redundant? We could just go "the".

It is possibly redundant and I thought so when writing it initially, but it is more clear this way and I'd rather err to caution. There are possibilities for there to be multiple reference cards out and I wanted to be sure for sure. "this" vs "the". "This" does a lot more work but uses only 1 character more, I think it can change. Majority vote.

Quote:

8 ) NEMEAN CESTUS - Attack 3+Special. Uncertain if the second always is needed, but it does match precedent.
9) BOW OF APOLLO - Attack 2+Special.

"Attack# Special" vs "Attack#+Special". After review, it is "Attack # + Special" (with spaces) (Samuel Brown withstanding as I weary to use promos rules and the entire wave before him was consistent on this)
as for
Quote:

Uncertain if the second always is needed, but it does match precedent.

I actually don't understand the question :blush: sorry
Quote:

Originally Posted by TREX
Kratos climb from tartarus should only be at the start of every turn when you reveal an order marker after destroyed with the one time roll immediately if he's the last one. Like we had previously.

You're the Lead. I'll change it back NP.

Dysole July 25th, 2015 12:56 PM

So...

I'm good with Confred's answers on all of them except the first since it sounds weird and feels a bit ambiguous. Possible alternate wordings.

You may only use this power five times per game.

You may not use this power if you have already placed five glyphs on this card.

I can't think of any powers that basically have a limited number of times per game effect that don't use markers but I think that's the kind of wording we'd want to borrow from.

~Dysole, referencing the "always" in the second line of Obsidian Crush Special Attack

McHotcakes July 25th, 2015 01:20 PM

How about

Quote:

BY THE GODS
Each time Kratos destroys an opponent’s Unique Hero, place a Godly Artifact Glyph on this card. Up to 5 Godly Artifact Glyphs may be placed on this card per game.

Dysole July 25th, 2015 01:23 PM

Or That

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2035453)
How about

Quote:

BY THE GODS
Each time Kratos destroys an opponent’s Unique Hero, place a Godly Artifact Glyph on this card. Up to 5 Godly Artifact Glyphs may be placed on this card per game.

That works too.

~Dysole, cleanly

Confred July 25th, 2015 02:21 PM

@McHotcakes heading out to work. At a glance that version looks good. I'll take a closer look later.
@Dysole "always" is official language and is important because Heroscape powers don't stack unless specifically said*(There are some odd exceptions like Auras). I didn't want one automatic skull to override another. Thus the first automatic is always, and the second is always additional.

TREX July 25th, 2015 05:14 PM

I'm happy with what you guys have came up with. Kratos is a beast. Has quite a few play choices. Here is a outline of what I think about him after all the many play tests we have ran out at my place.
He's a well rounded hero, good against squads and heroes. You only have to dance around the heavy hitters, so they don't get in too many high roll attacks.(4 defense). Which also plays well like the video game. All his glyphs have a purpose and a place. They are not there just to be there. The boots provide mobility and skirmish options. The bow provides a higher range, with an added burn damage that has a possibility to be pretty lethal. The Fleece helps Kratos get into battle without getting pelted down from ranged figures. The claws are the answer to swarms of squad figures, and last of all the Cestus is a great way to get inside on those hard to kill figures or DO objects and pound them down. I think with this last bit of small text changes we will have a great custom figure. Thanks to all of you guys for helping him come together. He has turned out to be much more fun than I ever thought he would be.