Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 July 27th, 2010 10:08 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I believe we've had enough thumbs for the good Dr. Who, so, here's my character:
Agent J
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...uff/agentj.jpg
Movies - Men In Black
For a miniature I'll use the African-American Krav Maga Agent.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...agentjmini.jpg
NYPD detective James Edwards is recruited into the super secret Men In Black, an organization devoted to monitoring and policing extra-terrestrial activity on earth. Agent J is intelligent, quick-witted, agile, keeps coming back for more in a fight, smart-mouthed and is a bit hot-headed and reckless.

I'd like to see Agent J's quickness, relative toughness, and his smart mouth represented (maybe some sort of taunting). I'd like to have a special representing the Noisy Cricket gun that can do a lot of damage but also have the potential to damage Agent J. If it fits without overpowering the character, a Neuralyzer ability might be interesting, too.

Wikipedia articles
Men In Black (Film)
Agent J

SirGalahad July 27th, 2010 11:20 PM

Brainstorming (sometimes it just drizzles)

AGENT J
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 4

POINTS 110

TAUNT
Whenever an opponents' figure rolls the 20-sided die against Agent J, you may subtract one from the roll.

NEURALYZER 16
After moving and instead of attacking, choose an adjacent figure and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you may remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random from that figure's Army Card.

NOISY CRICKET SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 5.
Choose a non-adjacent figure to attack. After placing wounds, roll one unblockable attack die. If you roll a skull, Agent J receives one wound.

Lamaclown July 28th, 2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1158488)
I believe we've had enough thumbs for the good Dr. Who, so, here's my character:
Agent J
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...uff/agentj.jpg
Movies - Men In Black

This ought to be a fun one! Nice pick, mac122!
Sir Galahad didn't leave much for the rest of us ;)- he did a great job representing Agent J. Noisy Cricket is great.

Might I suggest (quite tongue-in-cheek)...

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY OFF THIS PLANET, BABY...
When attacking a Marro figure add 1 to Agent J's attack.

...AND THAT'S THROUGH ME.
When defending against an attack from a Marro figure add 1 to Agent J's defense.

OK, now for an actual suggestion...
another option for TAUNT
If Agent J or a figure you control that is adjacent to Agent J is attacked by an adjacent figure, the attacking figure must roll one less attack die.

Also you could consider a WoA Defensive Agility type of ability.

SirGalahad July 28th, 2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1158754)
Sir Galahad didn't leave much for the rest of us- he did a great job representing Agent J. Noisy Cricket is great.

Sorry, sometimes stuff just comes out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1158754)
Might I suggest (quite tongue-in-cheek)...

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY OFF THIS PLANET, BABY...
When attacking a Marro figure add 1 to Agent J's attack.

...AND THAT'S THROUGH ME.
When defending against an attack from a Marro figure add 1 to Agent J's defense.

That doesn't have to be tongue-in-cheek; it's a really good representation of taunting.

Balantai July 28th, 2010 11:46 AM

Very cool choice, mac. Here are some ideas:

Taunt
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker on a card with a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a "X" or higher, Agent J is the only figure that can be attacked this turn.

Partner
At the start of the game, choose a Unique Hero (or Unique Hero Agent) you control to be Agent J's Partner. While Agent J is within 3 clear sight spaces of his partner, Agent J and his Partner may add 1 to their defense.

Neuralizer
After moving and instead of attacking, you may roll the 20-sided die once for each of your opponents' figures within 5 clear sight spaces of Agent J. If you roll a "X" or higher, remove all unrevealed Order Markers from that figure's card. You may only use Neuralizer once per game.

or

Neuralizer
After moving and instead of attacking, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a "X" or higher, remove all unrevealed Order Markers from your opponent's cards for all figures within 5 clear sight spaces of Agent J. You may only use Neuralizer once per game.

Noisy Cricket Special Attack
Range 5. Attack 6.
When Agent J attacks with his Noisy Cricket Special Attack, Agent J is also attacked by Noisy Cricket Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for both the defending figure and Agent J. Each figure rolls defense dice seperately. Agent J may add 1 automatic shield when defending against his own Noisy Cricket Special Attack. Wounds caused to the defending figure are resolved before Agent J rolls defense dice against this attack.
(This one is a bit wordy, but it seems pretty fun. :D)

Quickness (Quick Draw)
If Agent J is attacked with a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure within 6 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a "X" or higher, Agent J recieves no damage from the attack, you may roll 1 unblockable attack die against the attacking figure and you may move Agent J up to 3 spaces. Agent J does not take leaving engagement attacks when moving due to Quickness.

I also really like the idea of having a bonus against Marro. It's a fun way to incorporate Agent J into Vahallascape.

I'll post more if I get any more ideas.

JC McMinis July 28th, 2010 02:39 PM

Awesome choice mac....one of several movie characters I was hoping would come up in this thread. Im going to have to try to get an extra set of Krav Manga now. Just paint a moustace and his shades balck and he is good to go.

Takanuva July 28th, 2010 03:04 PM

Really, really sorry I've been inactive. I'll try and help a lot more. For a 'Quicness' type power for him, this might be interesting:

If Agent J is unengaged and targetted for a normal attack from a non-adjacent foe, you may, instead of defending normally, choose to use this power. Roll 3 defence dice immediately. If you roll one or more blanks, you may immediately target the enemy with an attack of 3. If the figure is destoyed, take no damage from the opposing figures attack. If the figure is not destroyed, you may move 2 spaces for every blank that you rolled. Agent J may not move to a space adjacent to an enemy figure. If you end your move in a space that the enemy could not have legally targetted you in, such as a space that is out of the enemies range or Line of Sight, take no damage from the attack. If not, take any damage that you would have taken.

Very wordy, but incorporates a nice 'run for cover' system. It could be shortened to contain only the 'counterattack' part or only the dodge part.

Again, really sorry I've been inactive.

Balantai July 28th, 2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takanuva (Post 1159040)
Again, really sorry I've been inactive.

There's no reason to be sorry, Takanuva. We all have lives outside of Heroscape. As long as you can post semi-regularly, you'll be back in the rotation in no time.

wulfhunter667 July 28th, 2010 03:22 PM

Whenever Mac reads all this and decides the direction he wants to go, I'll comment. Right now, there are just too many good ideas being thrown around to comment just yet. ;)

mac122 July 28th, 2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 (Post 1159053)
Whenever Mac reads all this and decides the direction he wants to go, I'll comment. Right now, there are just too many good ideas being thrown around to comment just yet. ;)

Tell me about it. Here's the card blank I'd like to use:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...jokeborder.jpg
:D
Lots of great stuff! I'll get my thoughts together and post a first draft later this evening. Please post any more ideas you may have!

mac122 July 28th, 2010 10:39 PM

Here's my take on Agent J:
Quote:

AGENT J
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)

TAUNT 10
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, that opposing figure may only attack Agent J this turn.

NEURALYZER 14
When Agent J is attacked by an adjacent opposing figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 14 or higher, ignore any wounds. The attacking figure's turn ends immediately.

Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, move Agent J 3 spaces in a straight line directly away from the targeted figure. If Agent J's movement is blocked by terrain or another figure, roll 1 attack die. A skull rolled counts as one unblockable hit on Agent J.
First off, thanks for all the input on Agent J. I've gone with Taunt, Neuralyzer, and Noisy Cricket. There won't be enough room on a card to add any sort of quickness ability that would enhance his staying power, so I gave him 1 extra on defense. The remainder of the stats stay the same as SirG's suggestion.

I used a version of Balantai's suggestion for Taunt. It really captures what J did to the Bug at the climax of the movie. Is the wording sufficient to cover the situation where an opposing figure is engaged to another figure friendly to J? The effect would be to cause that figure to either not attack this turn or break engagement and go after J.

The hand-held Neuralyzers were close range tools and usually used against one person at a time. The agent would "flashy thing" the target then give them an alternate memory for what just happened. I wanted to make it so you take a turn with the affected figure or move them a certain number of spaces, but it got too wordy. I decided to make it a defensive ability that would not only stop an attack from an adjacent figure, but end their turn - no additional attacks.

The Noisy Cricket may be the hardest to do. Every time J used it, it threw him back 30 feet or so. So, I'd love for that to be represented with the possibility for some damage if he hits something. I looked at the Knockback rules and tried to craft this in a similar fashion, though I'm afraid this wording is insufficient - there is so much in Knockback. Also the "...3 spaces in a straight line directly away from..." wording will probably open a can of rules worms. If we can't make it work in a fashion that will fit on a card, I'll use one of the other versions that simply had the die roll for potential damage.

Hrockle July 28th, 2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1159424)
Here's my take on Agent J:
AGENT J
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)

TAUNT 10
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, that opposing figure may only attack Agent J this turn.

NEURALYZER 14
When Agent J is attacked by an adjacent opposing figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 14 or higher, ignore any wounds. The attacking figure's turn ends immediately.

Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, move Agent J 3 spaces in a straight line directly away from the targeted figure. If Agent J's movement is blocked by terrain or another figure, roll 1 attack die. A skull rolled counts as one unblockable hit on Agent J.

I don't believe that Agent J should have a Tricky personality. While that might ruin any synergy, if you wanted to go along with his theme. Maybe Bold or Boastful or something along those line. Not a necessity, it's just a nitpick.

Other than that, this looks really good.