Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Takanuva July 14th, 2010 02:20 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1143384)
Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143365)
If we design multiple characters from the same series, we could also sub-group them based on that series.

In addition, characters from movies or television based on literature should be in the literature section.

I don't know about that. Often the characters from movies are nothing like the characters from the book. Take VanHelsing for example. The only resemblance of Hugh Jackman's character to Bram Stoker's character is that they both hunted Dracula.

Some leeway is fine but if the characters are totally dissimilar (as in the above example) I think we should keep them separate.

Just my :2cents:
</IMG>

We could always have different cards for the same figure, as people in fiction tend to change alot. (Ie:In Star Wars, Anakin as a padawan is completely different than Darth Vader, but they are the same character)

Lamaclown July 14th, 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takanuva (Post 1143522)
We could always have different cards for the same figure, as people in fiction tend to change alot. (Ie:In Star Wars, Anakin as a padawan is completely different than Darth Vader, but they are the same character)

That would work fine to me. That way if someone wanted to do a Jackman VanHelsing someone else could still do a Stoker VanHelsing (that is just the most extreme example that comes to mind).

We'll have to see what the consensus is on that.

machinekng July 14th, 2010 02:48 PM

So, how long until we start?

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

That's fine with me.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1143512)
I would be interested in doing a character. Possibilities I'm interested in: The Kids from the D&D cartoon, Spellsinger, Papa Smurf

Welcome aboard.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143518)
Another question. If asupporter doesn't have the time to make a card when his postion in the rotation comes up, could he pass, or delay his turn?

I'd prefer a pass to a delay, but that's definitely allowed.

Lamaclown July 14th, 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1143558)
So, how long until we start?

Well, we still haven't really discussed much what Balantai said here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1142147)
There are a couple of items that would need discussion, though.
  • Should these cards be on Vahallascape or Marvelscape skins?
  • Is a miniature required?
  • Will they use movie, tv, video game art or will they use miniature photo?

We got kind of sidetracked in our excitement. A couple of people gave input but I don't know if those issues have actually been settled on.

EDIT: I guess I could give my input on those things:
1. I would lean toward Valhallascape but I am fine either way.
2. I definitely think having a recommended mini is preferable even if we don't use its pic on the card.
3. If we have a decent photograph of the mini that would be great since some characters may not have much to go on as far as artwork. Whichever we decide on I think it is important to maintain consistency in presentation (I like how C3G has cards using each).

Hrockle July 14th, 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

1. Valhallascape, it's more fun with the generals.
  2. Not required, but it would be nice.
  3. Any is fine.
My :2cents:

machinekng July 14th, 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Returning to the issues.

1. For the most part, I think it should be up to the designer. Personally (assuming I merge my attempt at a Wheel of Time customs project with this thread) I want to make custom factions cards for some of my customs.

2. If a miniature of the character is found, it should be featured. If not, a couple of proxies could be found. If anyone knows a good place to look for proxy miniatures, Balanti could add it to the first post.

3. If the miniature is found, both could be used. If not, the art should be used to open up room for proxies. As for the hitzones, I believe common sense could be used easily (no targeting weapons and clothing that stick out from the character.)

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:13 PM

I have updated the first post with the below ruleset. Any thoughts?

Phase 1: Designer Chooses Character
Initial post should contain:
Character's name.
What fictional genre the character is from. I.E. Movie: Star Wars, Literature: Harry Potter, Television: Transformers, etc.
What miniature you will be using.
A short description of the character or link to a description.
Any specific direction you're looking to take the character.

Phase 2: Brainstorming Stage
Anyone from the community is welcome to give ideas for the chosen character. These do not have to be specific Special Powers, but instead could be specific aspects of the chosen character you'd like to see represented on the card. For instance, if Darth Vader is the chosen figure, I might say that I'd like to see his ability to Force Choke somewhere on the card. I'd also like to see his ability to ignore ranged attacks represented. Keep in mind, none of your suggestions need to be embraced by the designer. This is purely done to give the designer ideas. This doesn't mean that you can't offer specific Special Powers. If you have an idea for a specific Special Power that would work well with the chosen figure, please post that idea.

Phase 3: Draft Stage
Once the designer feels he has enough info to start creating a card, he may post his first draft. The lead designer must wait at least 24 hours before advancing to stage 3 from stage 2. This will ensure that everyone gets to post what they feel should be included on that character's card. During the Draft Stage, all aspects of the card should be discussed including stats, Special Powers, cost and power wording.

Phase 4: Voting Stage
When the designer feels that the card is ready for creation, he may propose to finalize the card. To finalize the card, there needs to be approval (thumbs up) from a majority of the active designers. After the card is finalized, the next designer in order is activated and the process resets.

Granite-M July 14th, 2010 03:15 PM

1. I'm also in favor of Valhalla-style cards.

2. I would give priority to units with figures, or with decent approximations. For example, there's a Star Wars mini that I think looks like Robocop: Galactic Alliance Trooper #32. I don't think we should be exclusive, but having a reasonable mini is a pretty good point in favor of a custom.

EDIT: Also, call me old-fashioned but I'd prefer that we keep to customs that haven't already been covered in one of the other customs projects. No need to have even more multiples running around, especially when that time and energy could be spent on making originals.

Balantai July 14th, 2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

• I have contacted A3n about possibly creating a Vahallascape template. If he has one or is willing to create one, I think this will be our best fit. I think most of us would like to see this. If he is unable, we'll use Marvelscape backing.
  • I think a miniature should be required. Even if it's just a proxy miniature that slightly resembles the character.
  • I think a miniature photo will be ideal since we are leaning towards Vahallascape.
On a side note, no symbols. :twisted: