Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Balantai July 13th, 2010 03:39 PM

Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I've had an idea of doing a thread like this for some time. Basically, I'd like to have a core group of people that choose and create a custom for any character from fiction. That character needs to be somewhat known. For instance, you could do Terminator or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They can be from movies, TV, literature, video games, etc. The core group will create characters one at a time and they will be reviewed and critiqued by the group. I think a similar funtionality to the HoSS (Heroes of StarWars 'Scape) would work best. If you're interested, please post in this thread.

Current Designers:
Balantai
Lamaclown
jcmcminis
Taeblewalker
mac122
Machineking
McHotcakes
Confred

Phase 1: Designer Chooses Character
Initial post should contain:
Character's name.
What fictional genre the character is from. I.E. Movie: Star Wars, Literature: Harry Potter, Television: Transformers, etc.
What miniature you will be using.
A short description of the character or link to a description.
Any specific direction you're looking to take the character.
NOTE: Actual stats and Special Powers you are considering are not needed in this phase.

Phase 2: Brainstorming Stage
  • Only 1 post per person. Anyone from the community is welcome to post, but please limit it to one post for this stage. If you think of something afterwards and/or want to make changes to what you have suggested, then go back & edit your post.
  • If you disagree with ideas somebody else has put forward do so in your own initial post. Don't start a discussion about it, just state clearly why you disagree & offer something in it's place.
  • Remember at this stage the wording doesn't have to be accurate or official or even written like a power, just put your thoughts down as they come to you as it is only brainstorming. It'll be up to the designer to take what he likes & try to put them into something close to official wording.
  • The chosen figure must remain in the Brainstorming Phase for at least 24 hours. If the designer feels that he wants to wait longer, he may.
Phase 3: Draft Stage
Once the designer feels he has enough info to start creating a card, he may post his first draft.
Use this template:
Spoiler Alert!

During the Draft Stage, all aspects of the card should be discussed including stats, Special Powers, cost and power wording.

Phase 4: Voting Stage
When the designer feels that the card is ready for creation, he may propose to finalize the card. To finalize the card, there needs to be approval (thumbs up) from a majority of the active designers. After the card is finalized, the next designer in order is activated and the process resets.

Important Note
In order to get your chance to design, you will need to be an active participator in this thread. That doesn't mean 10 posts per day. It doesn't mean you need to post every day, either. It just means that you contribute regularly in a positive manner.

Finished Designs:
Found here.

Takanuva July 13th, 2010 03:44 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction Thread

I'm interested, but don't have much time. I might be able to find time to help though.

mac122 July 13th, 2010 03:53 PM

Sounds like fun! Count me in.

JC McMinis July 13th, 2010 04:02 PM

I like this, count me in, I've actually already done several video game characters.

Balantai July 13th, 2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takanuva (Post 1142087)
I'm interested, but don't have much time. I might be able to find time to help though.

Ideally, this thread won't be that time intensive. When it's your turn to create a custom, I would expect you to be pretty active, but otherwise, a post a day should be more than suffice.

Balantai July 13th, 2010 04:20 PM

There are a couple of items that would need discussion, though.
  • Should these cards be on Vahallascape or Marvelscape skins?
  • Is a miniature required?
  • Will they use movie, tv, video game art or will they use miniature photo?

mac122 July 13th, 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1142147)
  • Should these cards be on Vahallascape or Marvelscape skins? Either is fine. Though, it might be interesting to fit these characters into the Valhalla story.
  • Is a miniature required? Yes. Either a mini of the figure or a reasonable proxy figure. I'd like to be able to play these. Having a figure to match the card helps.
  • Will they use movie, tv, video game art or will they use miniature photo? Will we have someone like Granite-M to do the cards? If so, then both!;) If not, going only by my photographic skills (or lack thereof) I'd go with art.

Here's my penny and a half.

wulfhunter667 July 13th, 2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1142171)
Quote:

• Should these cards be on Vahallascape or Marvelscape skins? Either is fine. Though, it might be interesting to fit these characters into the Valhalla story.
  • Is a miniature required? Yes. Either a mini of the figure or a reasonable proxy figure. I'd like to be able to play these. Having a figure to match the card helps.
  • Will they use movie, tv, video game art or will they use miniature photo? Will we have someone like Granite-M to do the cards? If so, then both!;) If not, going only by my photographic skills (or lack thereof) I'd go with art.

I'm in, but Mac ninja'd all my responses to your question before I could even answer them. ;)

Balantai July 13th, 2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1142171)
Quote:

I have PM'd someone about creating all of our cards for this "project". (I hate using the word 'project' because it makes it sound like work) If he accepts, we'll ask him if he's willing to do Vahalla cards and if he's willing to do photo and mini versions.

wulfhunter667 July 13th, 2010 05:21 PM

Side note, are you planning on doing this kind of as each figure comes, or by series/movie/whatever? Do you have a preliminary list of possible future cards for design? Is the list subject to change with availability of figures or proxies?

Hrockle July 13th, 2010 05:25 PM

I would love to do this, but considering the only minature modeling tools I have are a nondrying clay, I don't know what I can do.

Also, I'm a newb to creating customs.

Balantai July 13th, 2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrockle (Post 1142273)
I would love to do this, but considering the only minature modeling tools I have are a nondrying clay, I don't know what I can do.

Also, I'm a newb to creating customs.

Hrockle,

I have no intention of modeling or molding any minis. :D There are a large variety of minis you can find online that could probably serve the purpose of proxing almost any custom you can think of.

In other words, don't worry, and we'd love to have you here with us.