Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred July 14th, 2016 10:45 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

PARKOUR MOVEMENT (v3)
When moving, Faith counts her height as double. She may climb over obstacles and count figures as obstacles. She may leap over lower elevations. Faith may defend against leaving engagement attacks by rolling 2 defense dice.

Confred July 14th, 2016 01:17 PM

It may be best if the power was like Stealth Leap.
At any point during move, may leap. Explain what leap means.
Keep it clean and condensed, even though I'm tempted to add qualifiers that enable additional leaps and defense bonuses.

McHotcakes July 14th, 2016 01:27 PM

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...psynulscgn.jpg

Honestly I think this is pretty close to where she needs to be. Courier and Disarming Attack I think are good to go aside from any wording tweaks that anyone might have.

The only thing I think we need to focus on is coming up with the new wording for Freerunning. (I think that should be the title of the power. It leaves it open to being reused by future designs.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2101541)
Let's break it down, in no particular order,

She climbs (over obstacles)
She is short so we don't want height rules interfering

These can be represented in the new Freerunning power.

Quote:

She jumps over gaps from buildings to buildings
This might be a little harder to represent. Only 3 powers are going to fit on the card. Courier and Disarming Attack are both for sure powers for me. So that means all of Faith's running and moving abilities need to be represented in 1 power. So we either need to have her 'leaping' in with the Freerunning power, or simply drop it all together. I'm kind of leaning towards the latter.

Quote:

When running well enough, the badguys seem to miss with their bullets

When cornered she can wriggle herself out, while inflicting some hurt
I think these are both represented by a combination of a high defense and Disarming Attack.

Quote:

She is expressively not a combatant and moving around should be her primary function.
Honestly I'm open for dropping her attack to 2. This might dissuade her from being an attacker.

Quote:

In source, momentum is a key element and the use of guns and weapons slows her down and reduces her momentum.
While Faith using and losing momentum is a featured mechanic of the the game, I don't know how well it would translate to her Heroscape incarnation. Similar to leaping, I think momentum is something that either needs to be added to her Freerunning power or dropped. We can't always represent everything about a character and have to choose what is quintessential to the character. I'm thinking a fairly basic Freerunning power will be enough to represent Faith's ability to move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 2101591)
PARKOUR MOVEMENT (v3)
When moving, Faith counts her height as double. She may climb over obstacles and count figures as obstacles. She may leap over lower elevations. Faith may defend against leaving engagement attacks by rolling 2 defense dice.

Here's my version.

Freerunning
Ignore Faith's height when climbing. When Faith starts to climb she may ignore the first 6 levels of elevation. Faith may climb over obstacles, such as ruins, without stopping. Faith never rolls for falling damage and rolls 1 fewer die for major falling damage. Faith is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Confred July 14th, 2016 08:20 PM

PARKOUR MOVEMENT
When moving, Faith may Stealth Leap. Stealth Leap has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Faith's leaping movement, ignore elevations. Faith may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Faith may not leap more than 12 levels up or down in a single leap. If Faith is engaged when she starts to leap, she does not take any leaving engagement attacks. After leaping, Faith may continue moving with her normal move.

(Reduce her Move value)

Confred July 14th, 2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 2101628)
Here's my version.

FREERUNNING (H)
Ignore Faith's height when climbing. When Faith starts to climb she may ignore the first 6 levels of elevation. Faith may climb over obstacles, such as ruins, without stopping. Faith never rolls for falling damage and rolls 1 fewer die for major falling damage. Faith is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Climbing cares about height, if you ignore her height, you don't give her unlimited climbing, you cut her climbing ability to 0.
Additionally, climbing, and I may be corrected, is not exclusively an upward movement, so that first part would affect falling also.

If we look at Spiders or Cutters, we get some wording corrections for both your version and mine.

"When moving up or down levels of terrain,"
With your version, it seems you only want the up part. For the down part you want a custom effect. "When moving up levels of terrain, Faith has infinite height." "When moving up levels of terrain, Faith ignores height restrictions." (neither example has confirmed wording)

In my versions I set her height to 10. Goblins simply add and Spiders multiply.
I set Faith to 10 to allow her to climb over most things, but also to emulate the fall effects you described without having to spell them out.

"When moving up or down levels of terrain, triple Faith's height."

How about:
Quote:

ADVANCED FREERUNNING (C1)
When moving up or down levels of terrain, triple Faith's height. When counting spaces for moving up levels of terrain, Faith ignores the first 6 elevations. Faith may pass by figures without becoming engaged, and climb over obstacles such as ruins.
(I stole "pass over" from Flying and bastardized it to "pass by", approval pending.)

If we like this version, even if not for Faith, we could cut the engagement part and update Ezio.

I still think a flying leap component is still required. I think leaping from building to building is even more key than Counter Strike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred
PARKOUR MOVEMENT (C2)
When moving, Faith may Stealth Leap. Stealth Leap has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Faith's leaping movement, ignore elevations. Faith may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Faith may not leap more than 12 levels up or down in a single leap. If Faith is engaged when she starts to leap, she does not take any leaving engagement attacks. After leaping, Faith may continue moving with her normal move.

McHotcakes July 17th, 2016 12:05 AM

I've been thinking about the power and organizing my thoughts. I've been extremely busy the past few days and haven't had a real chance to respond. When the weekend is over Ill have a new version ready.

Confred July 18th, 2016 01:36 PM

I think COURIER + PARKOUR MOVEMENT (C2); drop counter strike altogether

Dysole July 18th, 2016 01:40 PM

Curious

Is elevation changes actually a defined term for Scape? Also Courier makes no mention about activating the trap for a Treasure Glyph which is something you'll need to mention one way or another. I like Version C1.

~Dysole, briefly

William099 July 18th, 2016 04:35 PM

Check out ghost Rider Grim c3g for elevation ignoring powers. Lizard has it too.

Dysole July 18th, 2016 06:34 PM

Yeah

Thing is EXPERT CLIMBING had to go and get rewritten and we had this whole discussion (I want to say Doctor Octopus thread) and it was a pain and I forgot what conclusion we came to but that or stealth leap are your best choices for ignore elevation powers.

~Dysole, who will think on it and see if she has any more suggestions

Confred July 19th, 2016 10:51 AM

Re: Curious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 2102353)
Is elevation changes actually a defined term for Scape? Also Courier makes no mention about activating the trap for a Treasure Glyph which is something you'll need to mention one way or another. I like Version C1.

~Dysole, briefly

Elevation changes as defined term? If you're referring to C1, sentence one is from official climbing special power. Sentence two is from flying.
If not, I apologize for not following, but what are you asking?

I'll look more closely at traps when I get home.

McHotcakes July 19th, 2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William099 (Post 2102383)
Check out ghost Rider Grim c3g for elevation ignoring powers. Lizard has it too.

I think this is very helpful. A tweaked version of Expert Climbing seems to be the way to go.

Quote:

EXPERT CLIMBING
When moving up levels of height to move onto a space with Lizard, do not count spaces for the first two levels and only count one space for each two levels after the first two. You may ignore Lizard's height of 5 when climbing. Lizard never takes falling damage or major falling damage.
That's c3g's official version of the power. For Faith we could change it to something like.

Quote:

EXPERT CLIMBINGParkour Movement
Faith is never attacked when leaving an engagement. When moving up levels of height to move onto a space with Faith, do not count spaces for the first two levels and only count one space for each two levels after the first two. You may ignore Faith's height of 4 when climbing. Faith doesn't roll forfalling damage and rolls 1 fewer die for major falling damage.
I added the disengage part to represent Faith's ability to escape her enemies. And since Faith would be dropping off of ledges, and not climbing down them, I changed not taking any falling damage to simply rolling less die for major falling damage.

This version of the power doesn't deal with obstacles at all, but I think it might be best to keep it simple. And I think a climbing type power is a better representation of what Faith does than Stealth Leap.

Spoiler Alert!

@Confred I'm okay with dropping the counterstrike type power if everyone else is on board. Dropping the power would also free up space for another power. Either leaping or something to do with Faith's gun play :shrug: