Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Green Lantern (Simon Baz) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=57533)

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 09:22 PM

The Book of Green Lantern (Simon Baz)

The Book of Green Lantern (Simon Baz)

C3G DC SUPER SECRET EXCLUSIVE 79
FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS: GREEN ENERGY

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...imon_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...Simon_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the War of Light set.
Its model number and name are #108 / Simon Baz.

Character Bio - Simon Baz is an American of Lebanese descent, born and raised in Michigan. Baz has a tattoo on his forearm of Alshajaea (which means "Courage" in Arabic), despite tattoos being considered Harem by his culture and family. He ends up being found worthy by a Green Lantern ring after being arrested while stealing cars to sell them for parts. Once he is equipped with the ring, he attempts to visit his family, but is interrupted by the arrival of the Justice League. Knowing he cannot take on the League by himself (except maybe Batman), he allows Wonder Woman to lasso him. The Lasso of Truth causes a poor reaction to his ring which was programmed by Sinestro, which startles the Justice League and causes him to run. He goes on a quest to redeem himself but has some issues getting the ring to work for him fully so he carries a gun with him. Over time he becomes a full fledged Green Lantern and even works with the Justice League on a regular basis alongside his partner, Jessica Cruz.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:
  • As a Green Lantern, Green Lantern has these Green Lantern Synergies.
  • As a Human, Green Lantern has these Human Synergies.
  • As an Officer, Green Lantern has these Officer Synergies.
  • As a figure with the Green Power Battery special power, green Battery Markers may be placed on Green Lantern's Army Card by Jade's Starheart Recharge special power.
  • As a figure with Battery Markers, Green Lantern has these Battery Marker Synergies.
Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-
  • As a flying figure, Green Lantern interacts differently with these special powers.
  • As a figure with the Super Strength special power, Green Lantern interacts differently with these special powers.
  • As a figure with the Green Power Battery special power, Green Lantern is susceptible to Fatality's Green Lantern Retribution special power.
  • As a figure that starts with green Battery Markers on its card, Green Lantern is susceptible to a Manhunter's Green Power Drain special power.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips--Heroscapers Community Contributions-
  • Initial playtest: tcglkn
  • Second playtest: LordVenoc
  • Third playtest: Arch-vile
  • Art: Comic, Figure, Background
  • Art by tcglkn

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 09:23 PM

Re: The Book of Green Lantern (Simon Baz) - Design

NAME = Green Lantern
SECRET IDENTITY = Simon Baz

SPECIES = Human
UNIQUENESS = Unique Hero
CLASS = Officer
PERSONALITY = Stubborn

SIZE/HEIGHT = Medium 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = 260

GREEN POWER BATTERY 3
Start the game with 3 green Battery Markers on this card. Add one to Green Lantern's Move, Range, Attack, and Defense numbers for each green Battery Marker on this card.

EMERALD SIGHT
If you win initiative and the difference between your roll and the next highest roll is 10 or higher, you may view all Order Markers on opponents’ Army Cards.

ALSHAJAEA
After moving and before attacking with Green Lantern, you may choose Green Lantern or an adjacent figure and remove a green Battery Marker from this card. You may remove any marker on that figure’s Army Card, or two markers if they are both Wound Markers. Order Markers may only be removed with this special power once per round.

SUPER STRENGTH

FLYING

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 09:23 PM

@Arch-vile @japes @johnny139 @Lord Pyre @Soundwarp SG-1 @Yodaking

MrNobody June 15th, 2020 09:57 PM

One thought I had was how to represent his gun. I know that's what the base range is for, but what if it was a special attack instead? That would really sell the theme for me, that he's carrying the gun for when his ring fails or runs out of juice, instead of it "stacking" with the power of the ring.
Quote:

NORMAL FREAKING GUN SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4/5. Attack 3.
Some minor trinket text here.

Yodaking June 15th, 2020 10:18 PM

I'm against putting power names in made up langues.

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 10:22 PM

I mean it's Arabic, not made up...

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 10:30 PM

It's cool if you still don't wanna use it, just wanted to be clear it's not a made up language. I can just go with Quat Alshajaea like johnny had.

Yodaking June 15th, 2020 10:35 PM

What is Quat Alshajaea? Power name should be Power of Courage if that is the name of the power.

tcglkn June 15th, 2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny139 (Post 2179351)
So, Simon Baz is... weird. He's got a lot of "unprecedented Green Lantern powers" that don't quite line up with the traditional stuff. In particular, he has two: Emerald Sight and the power to "heal" people. Emerald Sight triggers randomly, and gives him limited future sight - here, it's a pretty minor power that triggers if you roll REALLY well on initiative. Hopefully it's random enough to not be exploitable.

The weird healing thing is essentially his power to... cure, in a sense. His brother-in-law was in a coma, permanently, and he used the ring to wake him up. He and Bleez were fighting, and he briefly "cured" her of the Red Lantern Ring. I went with "remove any type of marker, including OMS" here to play up the mysteriousness of it, but we could just as easily limit it to removing Battery Markers or Wound Markers and it would play in the same space. This one is named after "Power of Courage" in Arabic, because he has "shajaea" tattooed on his arm... which is "courage" in Arabic.

Also, he carries a gun, which is why he has base range. Or he used to, he stopped recently but he did for most of his career.

I don't feel like the power name has to be Power of Courage if Quat Alshajaea is more accurate to the character.

Arch-vile June 15th, 2020 10:51 PM

I'd dial back the healing to one marker just to emphasize the more unique stuff (OM removal and other marker removal). The Blue Lanterns cover healing pretty well already.

Yodaking June 15th, 2020 10:59 PM

Sounds like Johnny just made up the name based on a tattoo seen on his arm. Not sure what the power name should be, only that it should be in the same language as the rest of our cards. Any cutesy use of non-English words/terms in card powers would need to be strongly supported by theme (like Zatanna). Gambit doesn't have any French words on his card. Black Panther doesn't use his native tongue for power names. None of our Russian cards use Russian. Nightcrawler doesn't have any German named powers. Silver Samurai doesn't use Japanese names for his powers. And on and on and on.

Ronin June 15th, 2020 11:17 PM

I prefer he be an Officer - he and Jess have been JL regulars, so I like them being eligible for the odd JL marker power.