Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33458)

Leaf_It December 1st, 2017 02:56 PM

Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmon (Post 2170314)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 2170311)
It saddens me a bit to hear that the SoV can be seen as pretentious or cliquey. It makes sense for the C3V--the whole idea behind it is a closed group of invite-only members. The SoV is a public project, however, and I prefer to run it with a mind to openness and honesty, as much as makes sense anyway.

To be fair, my comments really were mostly about the C3V, which as you mentioned is not surprising given how it operates. I've begun to view it more of a nature of the beast. The SoV is naturally more open and is an enjoyable process to follow and comment on.

I agree. The Cliquey-ness that I mention is mostly directed at the C3V. While it can also be directed at the SoV, that is less often the case. I really love to see everyone's response when a new unit is submitted for review.

P_J_Keller December 1st, 2017 11:29 PM

Just want to say that it is the work of SoV, C3V, and C3G that keeps me coming back to this site and it is that work that also drives me to support the site annually.

Dad_Scaper December 1st, 2017 11:37 PM

Thank you for saying so, PJ. I can't imagine a better way to show your appreciation.

Tornado December 2nd, 2017 12:20 PM

An O'sixer and a Michigander. Nice!

superfrog January 4th, 2018 12:38 AM

Maltis Tez by Leaf_It

We’ve already got Seleena in the “35-point Hybrid Cat Person that’s hard to pin down” category, so how does this offering for Aquilla fare in comparison?

Balance

There’s a straight-up comparison you can do here with Seleena: both have 3 life and 2 attack, and are Hybrids. Both have powers that boost their attack. Seleena has range, Maltis is fast and maneuverable. Definitely not breaking the game with the low stat line, which matches the low point cost.

Theme

The miniature is dynamic, and the powers accurately reflect that. Maltis Tez certainly looks capable of jumping in and out of engagements for quick strikes. But in a nice show of restraint, the stats and powers seem to reflect the low power level you’d expect from such a miniature.

Creativity

Strategic Repositioning is a novel power, and has interesting uses. First Assault is a nice re-use here. Designing a high-speed, low-cost unit that has enough attack power to be useful is difficult, but this is a power set that can combine those without breaking the unit.

Playability

Maltis Tez is often filler. That’s okay. He(?)She still has some uses, and fits nicely into some armies.

Scout synergies make him interesting to play with the Venoc Warlord. With 9 move, Maltiz can grab glyphs quite quickly. Even glyphs that are 10 spaces away can be grabbed with 9 move, a first assault of 5 dice (assuming height), and a strategic repositioning onto the glyph. Holding the glyph is often worth those 35 points, and if not, there’s a chance Maltis can take a well-timed Order Marker and go play clean-up at the end.

Hybrid synergies make you consider the Werewolf Lord. This works okay at the beginning of the game, as a few Moon Frenzies can get Maltis into the action. But this doesn’t work with the WWL’s best army (Wolves of Badru), and Maltis often doesn’t get time to shine before Lycanthropy comes into play, often with better, more disruptive options.

By far the most effective I found Maltis to be was with the Teeth of the Makwa. As a scout, heshe can take turns at the beginning of the game (glyph grabbing, probably), while your Makwa develop. Played like this, heshe might only get one attack or so in the game, but that’s usually worth it to advance development and grab glyphs at the same time.

Maltis Tez has a few other tricks, like being able to hop off of a glyph to attack and hop back on in the same turn, or taking over an opponent’s position after a kill to provide blockage.

But a lot of the time, none of this comes into play. Maltis Tez often falls flat. That’s okay, though. He'sShe's only 35 points.

Summary
Maltis Tez upholds the iron triangle of sculpt/theme/mechanics. HeHhe has enough of a dynamic design to warrant inclusion into the right army, although heshe doesn’t have so much punch that heshe overwhelms hisher low point cost.

I vote :up: to induct Maltis Tez into the Soldiers of Valhalla

Leaf_It January 4th, 2018 04:12 AM

Maltis Tez was originally male,(and an Elf following Ullar) and used a modified combo of Finn and Syvarris. That figure obviously wouldn't work for the SoV, so I found the current figure, which I liked a lot. The current figure's Sculpt is female, thus Maltis Tez is Female.

I enjoyed Maltis in my playtests the Most with the Makwa as well.

DewNoHarm January 9th, 2018 01:59 PM

I love both the balance and lore of Heroscape. The collective armies of each Valkyrie general have their own flavor, strengths and weaknesses, and each army forms a fun and coherent whole (usually). In spite of this, I believe that every general should share something: their own 10-point unique hero. So last year I set about working on a 10-point unique hero for Jandar.

I submitted Johann Graybeard to the SoV workshop in August and received mostly positive feedback. I made changes using the suggestions from the workshop participants and I feel that he is more solid now. I play tested Johann 20 times prior to submitting to the workshop. I and others have have now play tested him 20 times in his current iteration. I think he's ready to be evaluated.

I hope that through this process, Johann Graybeard will eventually receive the SoV moniker.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...0_original.png

Spoiler Alert!

Because I have to evaluate other peoples' written manuscripts as part of my professional life, I understand the time that it takes to do these types of reviews. I appreciate the judges' time and effort as they evaluate Johann Graybeard.

DNH

Scytale January 9th, 2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DewNoHarm (Post 2174411)
I think he's ready to be evaluated.

A strong submission, except I can't see the card itself. Permissions problem perhaps?

Dad_Scaper January 9th, 2018 02:10 PM

I think it's just not there.

DewNoHarm January 9th, 2018 02:23 PM

Thanks for the quick pickup @Scytale . I was so excited to get this in that I forgot to add it. :oops:

I've fixed it.

DNH

Scytale January 9th, 2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DewNoHarm (Post 2174417)
Thanks for the quick pickup @Scytale . I was so excited to get this in that I forgot to add it. :oops:

With all the things that people want to remember to put into a submission it's certainly easy to forget one or two of them. Though I think this is the first time someone forgot the card.

A once-per-round stat boost and a useful but not quite reliable stun ability are decent for a filler unit. I'm not thrilled about making a Valiant filler, though; one of the few disadvantages of the 4th Mass is fitting them into awkward point totals. That's not quite a reason for me to downvote the old fellow, though.

:up: to review Johann Graybeard

superfrog January 9th, 2018 03:54 PM

I'm torn. I like the mini, and I like the powers. But I don't think I like the mini and the powers at a 10-point level. For me, a 10-point figure has to have a little bit more of a "wow" factor to be worthy of inclusion in the game. This approaches that, but I don't think it quite gets there for me.

I (with a bit of sadness) vote :down:

Okay, I've read through the card a few more times. I think the shield stun is much more interesting (especially in combination with Recall Youth's Strength) than I thought on a first read.

I switch my vote. :up: