Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Balantai March 15th, 2011 12:54 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Yeah. It's definitely tough considering Ash doesn't play well in any group, let alone a Vahalla army. Yet, when all's said and done, he's a good guy.

Any other comments before we move on to the next figure?

Balantai March 16th, 2011 03:05 PM

Okay...a day has passed.

If Mac's still interested, it's his turn to choose.

Balantai March 21st, 2011 02:11 PM

Okay, let's move on to Wulfhunter. If you're still interested in the project, please make your selection, Wulf.

EDIT: Mac has just resurfaced. Let's allow him to make his pick first since he's up in the rotation.

mac122 March 21st, 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1366135)
Okay...a day has passed.

Sorry, don't know how I missed this. I'll wait until my next turn in the rotation. :oops:

Balantai March 21st, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1369223)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1366135)
Okay...a day has passed.

Sorry, don't know how I missed this. I'll wait until my next turn in the rotation. :oops:

No worries, Mac. Go ahead and make your pick, now. I doubt Wulf will mind waiting for his turn. :D

mac122 March 21st, 2011 03:56 PM

Thanks, Balantai.

Indiana Jones
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...iana_Jones.jpg
Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade...
For the mini, James Murphy makes an excellent proxy. The hat, coat, and whip are all very Indy-like, though the gun is too big.

I'm sure most, if not all, of you are familiar with Dr. Jones: adventurer, archeologist, Nazi-fighter.
Indiana Jones Wikipedia article.

I think Indy should be a relatively strong fighter with possibly a ranged normal attack representing his pistol and a special attack/ability for his whip. He should have either a toughness to prevent damage or a healing power representing his ability to absorb a lot of abuse and keep going. A d20 boost when rolling for traps seems appropriate, as well. A creative way to represent his fear of snakes would be fun as well, if it doesn't take too much space on the card.

machinekng March 21st, 2011 04:14 PM

Indiana Jones
Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer
???(Tricky, Valiant)
Medium ?

Life 5
Move 5
Range 6
Attack 3
Defense 5

Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana may swing over water without stopping, figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move or down more than 10(?) levels in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

Whip Snap 9
Before moving an after attacking, Indiana Jones may target a single figure within 2 clear sight spaces. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher, the targeted figure may roll a maxium of one defense against Indiana Jones's normal attack this turn.

Treasure Hunter
When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 4 to your die roll.

or...

Treasure Hunter
When Indiana Jones rolls defense dice against a trap, he may add (2/3)? to his defense.

Why Does It Always Have To Be Snakes?
Indiana Jones rolls three less defense dice against Vipers.

Comments:

@killercactus: I agree with your changes to why does it have to be snakes. However, if you're going to remove a power, I would remove treasure hunter (Indie often sets off traps, he's just very good at dodging the effects). Indie also needs at least 4 defense to both meet Mac122's requirments (durability) and be a viable figure.

@NecroBlade: Hmmm... I like the idea. It is very thematic, and a tad bit more useful than the standard +4 to Trap rolls

Lamaclown March 21st, 2011 04:41 PM

Great choice, mac! Indy is one of the only heroes I grew up with that is still one of my heroes today and is destined to be a hero for both of my sons.

I am sure it won't make the final cut of abilities, but one of the iconic scenes from the movies is the guy twirling the sword and Indy whips out his gun and shoots him...

Quote:

NOTHING FANCY
When attacking an opponent's figure that is not adjacent and has a normal attack range of 1, add 1 to Indy's attack.
I know, range doesn't need the help against melee. It is just such an iconic scene that even though it is doomed from the start I had to post it for posterity. :)

I'll post more serious thoughts later.

killercactus March 21st, 2011 04:46 PM

I was going to write up my own card, but mk's seems very close to what I would do, so I'm just going to tweak his with my ideas, which are underlined in italics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1369301)
Indiana Jones
Jandar

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer
???(Tricky, Valiant) Precise
Medium ?

Life 5
Move 5
Range 6
Attack 3
Defense 53

Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana may swing over water without stopping, figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move or down more than 10(?) levels in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

Whip Snap 9
Before moving an after attacking, Indiana Jones may target a single figure within 2 clear sight spaces. Roll the twenty-sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher, the targeted figure may roll a maxium of one defense against Indiana Jones's normal attack this turn.

Treasure Hunter
When rolling for the trap roll on a treasure glyph for Indiana Jones,you may add 4 to the results of the twenty-sided die roll.

Why Does It Always Have To Be Snakes?
Indiana Jones rolls three two less defense dice against Vipersfigures with the Slither special power.

I think 5 defense is too much for him, and I don't like 4 powers on a card. I would like to have something else for the Whip, though....

Taeblewalker March 21st, 2011 05:00 PM

I'd be happy with using James Murphy's power. The rest looks great! As for the height differential on whip swing, I would suggest 6 levels.

NecroBlade March 21st, 2011 07:07 PM

If I may suggest an alternate "Treasure Hunter" power from one of my own customs:

"Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Treasure Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll."

wulfhunter667 March 22nd, 2011 09:42 PM

How about this...
Aw! Just Shoot the Sucker 15
When an enemy figure with a Range of 1 ends its movement within 4 CLS of IJ, roll a 20-sided die. If you roll 15 or higher, IJ may immediately attack that figure with a normal attack.
And a hat-tip to Harrison Ford for one of the best improv fight scenes in history. ;)

killercactus March 23rd, 2011 10:27 AM

What about a terrain boost for dungeon / shadow?

mac122 March 24th, 2011 03:41 PM

Indiana Jones
Movies

Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer?
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Treasure Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.
Why Did It Have to Be Snakes
Indiana Jones may not move adjacent to a Viper. If Indiana Jones begins his turn adjacent to a Viper, he must, if possible move at least one space away from that Viper. Indiana Jones rolls 2 less defense dice against Vipers.
Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

I tried to come up with an ability that covered movement and a boosted defense for Indy's whip, but they ended up too convoluted and wordy. Instead, I opted for the KC's adjustment of machinekng's Whip Swing and boosted Indy's base defense. Boosting his defense also helps keep him around, diminishing the need for a healing/toughness ability. Necro's Treasure Hunter fit wonderfully.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2...e6bf03fcec.gif

Lamaclown March 24th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1371216)
Oops. Hit Submit instead of Preview.

I'll have my draft of Indy up in just a bit.

In the meanwhile, for your viewing pleasure:

<video appears here snip>

YES!
I love it every time I see it- the way he just turns around afterwards like, "OK, now back to what I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted."

Quote:

vBulletin... blah... blah... spread... blah... rep... blah...

machinekng March 24th, 2011 05:08 PM

Not bad.

I question Indie's induction into Aquilla's Armies. I've always seen him more as a Jandar fellow.

Stats look good.

The wording for Why did it have to be snakes seems a bit clunky. I can't put my finger on what makes it so.

Taeblewalker March 24th, 2011 09:30 PM

I think a lack of a comma after "if possible" is the major clunkiness for the wording of the Snakes ability.

That said, I think it's too limiting to say that he cannot move adjacent to one. Also, the 2 less defense dice make him way too easy to kill, but does nothing against the Hydra or Wo-Sa-Ga, which I really liked about the Slither wording.

How about: Indiana Jones must end his movement if he moves into engagement with a figure with the Slither ability. He rolls one less attack die against any figure with the Slither ability.

mac122 March 25th, 2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinekng (Post 1371319)
Not bad.

I question Indie's induction into Aquilla's Armies. I've always seen him more as a Jandar fellow.

Stats look good.

The wording for Why did it have to be snakes seems a bit clunky. I can't put my finger on what makes it so.

I agree that Indy would fit into Jandar's army, and that may well be where he does end up, but I went for Aquilla for two reasons. First, Aquilla needs all the help she can get ;). Second, his archeological background, respect for ancient cultures, and desire to protect antiquities (though often in a museum) made him seem a good fit along side the Mohicans, Monks, Dwarves, and Quasatch. However, his allegiance to one general or another is not a deal breaker for me. If the majority think he fits in Jandar better, I'll move him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1371504)
I think a lack of a comma after "if possible" is the major clunkiness for the wording of the Snakes ability.

That said, I think it's too limiting to say that he cannot move adjacent to one. Also, the 2 less defense dice make him way too easy to kill, but does nothing against the Hydra or Wo-Sa-Ga, which I really liked about the Slither wording.

How about: Indiana Jones must end his movement if he moves into engagement with a figure with the Slither ability. He rolls one less attack die against any figure with the Slither ability.

I see the problem with not including Wo-Sa-Ga in with the Vipers - it's a huge snake - but the Hydra, eh, not as much. However, the pros probably outweigh the cons if it is changed to 'figures with the Slither ability'.
IMO, it is more thematic for Indy to move away from, and avoid moving into engagement with a snake instead of stopping once he gets there. In Raiders, he had to clear a large area before he would lower himself into the room with the snakes. The lowered attack doesn't fit either, for me at least. He had no trouble killing snakes, but preferred to do it at range. I could see dropping the lowered defense, but Indy should be getting away from snakes or staying away from snakes.

How about this. I have changed it from Vipers to cover all Scape snakes and I dropped the lowered defense. With only 2 parts to the ability instead of 3, it is a lot less clunky.

Indiana Jones may not move adjacent to any figure with the Slither ability. If Indiana Jones begins his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither ability, he must, if possible, move at least one space away from that figure.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 08:45 AM

Why Did It Have to be Snakes?
Indiana Jones may not end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Done. :D

Taeblewalker March 25th, 2011 09:05 AM

I like it, KC.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 10:13 AM

I think I'd be OK with Indy having 4 powers if two of them were that version of Snakes and a short Treasure Hunter power.

I'd also be in favor of, as part of the Treasure Hunter power, giving him a boost for dungeon/shadow. Maybe something like this...?

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may roll 2 additional defense dice when he is on a dungeon or shadow space, and when he rolls to disarm a trap on a symbol-side up treasure glyph, he may add 3 to the roll.

mac122 March 25th, 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killercactus (Post 1371678)
Why Did It Have to be Snakes?
Indiana Jones may not end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Done. :D

That wording sounds more official. It does allow Indy to move adjacent to a snake, which I'm not too keen on, but the simplicity of the revisions wins out.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Indiana Jones
Movies

Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer?
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

Treasure Hunter
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Treasure Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.

Indiana Jones may not move end his turn adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

Whip Swing 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. If Indiana Jones is engaged when he starts to Whip Swing, he does not take leaving engagement attacks.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 10:20 AM

I think it actually needs to say "end his movement..." instead of "end his turn", because I haven't defined what actually happens when he ends his turn next to a snake - just that he can't do it.

Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?
Indiana Jones cannot end his movement adjacent to a figure with the Slither special power.

He can move through a space adjacent to a snake, but can't end there. Which makes sense, because he runs past them all the time.

Balantai March 25th, 2011 11:30 AM

I worry that this version of Indy is missing a certain amount of cowbell. If you're playing a game without snakes or glyphs, he's not worth playing. That's too bad for one of my favorite characters of all time.

killercactus March 25th, 2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1371767)
I worry that this version of Indy is missing a certain amount of cowbell. If you're playing a game without snakes or glyphs, he's not worth playing. That's too bad for one of my favorite characters of all time.

He needs a Murphy-like Whip power if we want him in games outside of Treasure hunts, but that should be what he's best at....

mac122 March 25th, 2011 12:12 PM

May not be more "cow", but at least a jingle:
Treasure Hunter

Most glyphs are some sort of artifact, something that Indy would go after. This minor change would make Indy more useful as a glyph grabber in any game that uses them.

Is a James Murphy Whip ability the "cowbell" you are looking for, Balantai? To get it on Indy's card, one of the other abilities would have to go - the print gets way too small with all 4. If that's the direction, Treasure Hunter and Whip Swing are the two I would keep.

Balantai March 25th, 2011 12:31 PM

I really like that glyph change, Mac.

A few options:
  • Allow Whip Swing to carry one unengaged figure.
  • Allow an unblockable attack die against all figures Indy moves over while Whip Swinging.
  • Remove "...Snakes..." ability since there are other figures besides snakes that can have the Slither Special Power and replace with something else. (Personally, I prefered Vipers, anyway)

mac122 March 25th, 2011 05:27 PM

I like the idea of allowing Indy to carry another figure with Whip Swing. Here's what I have so far.

Whip Swing 3

Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. Before using Whip Swing, you may choose a friendly, small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. After you move Indiana Jones, place the chosen figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. Any figure moved with Whip Swing does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Balantai March 25th, 2011 05:50 PM

I like that alot, Mac. It'll make Indy much more useful.

Taeblewalker March 25th, 2011 06:04 PM

It takes up a lot of the card, but with the shortened snake power, it works really well.

mac122 March 25th, 2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1372115)
It takes up a lot of the card, but with the shortened snake power, it works really well.

I think WDIHTBS may have to go. I've got a draft of Indy in MSE with the revised Treasure Hunter, Whip 12, and revised Whip Swing 3. The print is pretty small.

I'd love to keep Snakes in there, but Treasure Hunter and the Whip abilities are much more important, IMO.

mac122 March 29th, 2011 12:41 PM

Question for you guys: would Whip Swing 3 as currently worded allow Indy to swing across a gap between 2 high points?
(Borrowed Lamaclowns example image from his Freerunning discussion.)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...clown/CC1x.jpg
I think it should, but not sure our wording covers that.

Lamaclown March 29th, 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1374597)
Question for you guys: would Whip Swing 3 as currently worded allow Indy to swing across a gap between 2 high points?
(Borrowed Lamaclowns example image from his Freerunning discussion.)
<snip>
I think it should, but not sure our wording covers that.

I guess it is a question of whether or not the "6 levels up or down" would come into play. I guess it could be argued that in "swinging" across the chasm, even though you are landing on a same level space, you have to count the levels down and up between the two sides of the chasm. I don't think you need to though since Indy isn't changing elevations. He is moving neither up nor down, simply across.

So, I think the wording covers it to allow Indy to travel as in the example pic.

Taeblewalker March 29th, 2011 01:26 PM

I would say yes, since it's like the Shaolin Monks. As long as the final destination space is no more than 6 higher or lower, than yes. It's really a teleport power, in effect - at least in game mechanics.

mac122 March 30th, 2011 01:14 PM

Here's where Indy stands at the moment:
Quote:

Indiana Jones
Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

TREASURE HUNTER
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.

WHIP 12
After moving and before attacking, choose a small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the chosen figure cannot roll any defense dice if attacked by Indiana Jones this turn.

WHIP SWING 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. Before using Whip Swing, you may choose a friendly, small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. After you move Indiana Jones, place the chosen figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. Any figure moved with Whip Swing does not take any leaving engagement attacks.
Any more comments? Happy with Aquilla? How about the points?

Taeblewalker March 30th, 2011 01:53 PM

It looks fine. Theres is no real need to have the snakes ability, any more than than Spider-man needs spider tracers.

Balantai March 30th, 2011 02:04 PM

It's too bad we can't have the Snakes ability on there, but I really like how he looks right now. As far as points go, I can see him at 120, maybe?

killercactus March 30th, 2011 02:11 PM

I think he's less than 120. He's a single-attack hero with just 3 dice, and his abilities aren't all that game-breaking at all. I say 100 max.

dfonse March 31st, 2011 11:12 AM

Sorry i have not been on in a while. Been sick with the flu. I believe that 100 is reasonable for him because of his OK stats. Also, treasure hunter is not likely to occur often so it seems not very useful. Rope swing is probably his best ability. Also, for whip swing indie should not be able to swing over something of a certain height like 6 being the max.

Taeblewalker March 31st, 2011 12:34 PM

Indiana Jones
Aquilla

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer
Valiant
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 5
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

TREASURE HUNTER
Indiana Jones may add 2 to his Move number as long as he ends his movement on a Glyph. When you roll the 20-sided die for a Treasure Glyph trap with Indiana Jones, you may add 2 to your die roll.

WHIP 12
After moving and before attacking, choose a small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, the chosen figure cannot roll any defense dice if attacked by Indiana Jones this turn.

WHIP SWING 3
Instead of a normal move, Indiana Jones may use his Whip Swing. Whip Swing has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Indiana Jones's Whip Swing, ignore elevations and obstacles that are no higher than 6 levels above Indiana Jones' base. Indiana Jones may swing over water without stopping, over figures without becoming engaged, and swing over obstacles such as ruins. Indiana Jones may move up to 6 levels up or down in a single Whip Swing. Before using Whip Swing, you may choose a friendly, small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. After you move Indiana Jones, place the chosen figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. Any figure moved with Whip Swing does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

How about the sentence I put in about his base?

mac122 March 31st, 2011 10:40 PM

That should help clear up any questions about what Whip Swing can do.

Lamaclown April 4th, 2011 09:21 AM

He is looking good. I would say between 90-110 points.

Balantai April 4th, 2011 01:55 PM

I think my only concern will be if it all fits on a card. Otherwise, I like him at 100 pts.

Lamaclown April 4th, 2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1378675)
I think my only concern will be if it all fits on a card.

Picky, picky ;)

EDIT:
I tested it on both MSE and my own templates I use for my customs and it is extremely small text, possibly not legible when scaled to card size.

mac122 April 4th, 2011 02:27 PM

I have the previous version, without Taeblewalker's edit, in MSE and it is definitely a crowded card. Let me suggest this:

WHIP SWING 3
Instead of moving Indiana Jones normally, you may choose any empty space that is no more than 6 levels above or below Indiana Jones’ base and within 3 clear sight spaces of Indiana Jones. Place Indiana Jones on the chosen space. Before using Whip Swing, you may choose a friendly, small or medium figure adjacent to Indiana Jones. After you move Indiana Jones, place the chosen figure on any empty space adjacent to Indiana Jones. Any figure moved with Whip Swing does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

It is based on Teleportation with a clear sight restriction instead of Swingline. IMO, it accomplishes the same thing and saves a couple lines on the card. If this is unacceptable, we may have to drop the part that allows Indy to take someone along for the ride.

Balantai April 4th, 2011 02:37 PM

Can a space be within Line of Sight?

killercactus April 4th, 2011 02:39 PM

I don't think we can use that because now he can Whip Swing through a 999 level high wall as long as his landing point is within 6 of the starting point.

We could just nix Whip Swing altogether, bump his normal movement to 7 to compensate for it, and put the Snakes power back on....

Taeblewalker April 4th, 2011 02:46 PM

Yikes, KC I'd rather add the LOS wording, if possible.