Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Scapers Online (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Official Site Question Dump (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=46306)

Joseph Sweeney October 17th, 2012 12:40 PM

Official Site Question Dump

Hey all,

Since so many of us out there have questions dealing with the site, and since the Official FAQ Question Dump isn't exactly the appropriate place to ask those questions, I(we) thought it would be a good idea to make an Official Site Question Dump!

In this thread you would ask any question dealing with the site, whether it be: how to work the search functions, what's a site supporter, or any other question dealing with the site.

Just like the Official FAQ Question Dump, grammar and spelling can be lax, but please, try and make your post as clear as possible.

Also, just like in the Official FAQ Question Dump anyone is free to answer questions.

I'll start this off with my question.

Porkachu's Customs
by kolakoski
I've always wondered why when I try to click a user name (in this case kolakoski), it will bring me to an entirely different profile. Any idea's?

Thanks!

~JS

Jim October 17th, 2012 01:11 PM

Re: Official Site Question Dump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1697183)
Porkachu's Customs
by kolakoski
I've always wondered why when I try to click a user name (in this case kolakoski), it will bring me to an entirely different profile. Any idea's?

I don't know where you got your link from, but it looks like it simply points to the wrong URL. For example:
kolakoski is right, but kolakoski is wrong. When you hover your pointer over the link, you probably will see in the lower corner (or somewhere, depending on the browser) the entire URL that the link goes to. You can see that they are different in my two examples. Whoever created the link that you got may have just put the wrong URL in.

:2cents:

Joseph Sweeney October 17th, 2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 1697196)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1697183)
Porkachu's Customs
by kolakoski

I don't know where you got your link from, but it looks like it simply points to the wrong URL. For example:
kolakoski is right, but kolakoski is wrong. When you hover your pointer over the link, you probably will see in the lower corner (or somewhere, depending on the browser) the entire URL that the link goes to. You can see that they are different in my two examples. Whoever created the link that you got may have just put the wrong URL in.

:2cents:

Thanks!

MegaSilver October 17th, 2012 02:09 PM

I'm afraid that people will use this as the normal Question Dump by accident. Any way we could mix up the title a little bit? When I saw the title I thought someone started up the Question Dump again, when we already have one.

Joseph Sweeney October 17th, 2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1697230)
I'm afraid that people will use this as the normal Question Dump by accident. Any way we could mix up the title a little bit? When I saw the title I thought someone started up the Question Dump again, when we already have one.

Any idea for a new title? And how would I edit the title?

MegaSilver October 17th, 2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1697231)
Quote:

I'm not sure at the moment. :lol:

I guess this is maybe the best title that can be made. You'll still have to watch out for people wanting to ask questions that belong in the normal Question Dump.

EDIT: You can edit a title by clicking on Edit, Go Advanced.

Joseph Sweeney October 17th, 2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1697235)
Quote:

Quote:

I guess this is maybe the best title that can be made. You'll still have to watch out for people wanting to ask questions that belong in the normal Question Dump.

Right then, thanks for the warning.

EDIT: Thanks!

Xorlof October 17th, 2012 02:46 PM

I think that even with the possible confusion in titles, if widely used this thread would be useful as a clearinghouse for site questions. Comparing the two titles, the bigger problem is with the other thread's title--it would be better described as the "Official Rules Question Dump."

Barring generating a FAQ for the site itself, this thread could become a "one stop shop" for answering most newbie questions, and even some harder ones (e.g., Joseph's first example). The trick is getting it widely used, so everybody, start asking your questions about the site and answering those you know too!

Jim October 17th, 2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1697235)
Quote:

Quote:

EDIT: You can edit a title by going to the first post in the thread and clicking on Edit, Go Advanced.

Made that a bit more thorough for you. :thumbsup:

Joseph Sweeney November 29th, 2012 09:01 AM

EDIT: NVM, I managed to fix it. Thanks anyhow.

onibaku06 December 1st, 2012 04:55 AM

I have a question. What is the definitive list of all the badges that one can earn in the HS community? I know of site supporter, but what are the others?

infectedsloth December 1st, 2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onibaku06 (Post 1722578)
I have a question. What is the definitive list of all the badges that one can earn in the HS community? I know of site supporter, but what are the others?

I believe this is all of them, but I might have forgot a couple.
  • Site Supporter
  • Administrator
  • C3V Customs
  • C3V Outer Sanctum
  • C3V Emeritus
  • C3G Customs
  • SoV Judge
  • SoV Emeritus
  • BoV Judge
  • BoV Emeritus
  • Online HS
  • Unit Strategy Review
  • Rules Team
  • Codex Staff
  • BoM Judge
  • WotC Staff Member
Edit: I forgot Scenario Writers, oh well 17/18 isn't bad.

Edit: I also forgot Contributor,Week@HSers and Event Planner, I guess there was more then I thought.

Shedim Kabal December 1st, 2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infectedsloth (Post 1722579)
Quote:

Originally Posted by onibaku06 (Post 1722578)

I believe this is all of them, but I might have forgot a couple.
  • Site Supporter
  • Administrator
  • C3V Customs
  • C3V Outer Sanctum
  • C3V Emeritus
  • C3G Customs
  • SoV Judge
  • SoV Emeritus
  • BoV Judge
  • BoV Emeritus
  • Online HS
  • Unit Strategy Review
  • Rules Team
  • Codex Staff
  • BoM Judge
  • WotC Staff Member
Edit: I forgot Scenario Writers, oh well 17/18 isn't bad.

Contributor, too (pretty rare status these days).

Joseph Sweeney January 12th, 2013 09:39 PM

Two questions here:

1) What's up with the whole "guest" thing?

I've been viewing some old threads and have seen guys like ninjadust, and ultradoug; who, maintain the ability to post even though they are not official members. So, what's the point of being a "guest?" It seems no different than being a member.

2) When was the last Moderator "dubbed"? It seems like we havn't had a new mod in awhile.

Thanks!

~JS

MegaSilver January 12th, 2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1744034)
Two questions here:

I've been viewing some old threads and have seen guys like ninjadust, and ultradoug; who, maintain the ability to post even though they are not official members. So, what's the point of being a "guest?" It seems no different than being a member.

2) When was the last Moderator "dubbed"? It seems like we havn't had a new mod in awhile.

Thanks!

~JS

1. I would like to know too.

2. I think I would be the last Mod. ;)

Joseph Sweeney January 12th, 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1744040)
Quote:

Two questions here:

Thanks!

~JS

1. I would like to know too.

2. I think I would be the last Mod. ;)

1) That makes two of us.

2) How long ago was that?

MegaSilver January 12th, 2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1744041)
2) How long ago was that?

June/July 2012? For Book Keeping.

infectedsloth January 12th, 2013 10:23 PM

Viegon recently become a moderator of the OS. I'm not sure if he was a mod of anything else before that.

ibechief January 12th, 2013 10:26 PM

I think we have a new moderator in C3G as well.

Arch-vile January 12th, 2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

I've always wondered this too.

Xorlof January 13th, 2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

1) What's up with the whole "guest" thing? I've been viewing some old threads and have seen guys like ninjadust, and ultradoug; who, maintain the ability to post even though they are not official members. So, what's the point of being a "guest?" It seems no different than being a member.

That is actually a vBulletin bug. Those people were members when they posted--it is just that their vBulletin profile went a little screwy. I just kicked off a maintenance task which *might* fix it when it is complete, but maybe not...

Quote:

I don't keep track of it closely, but I'm aware of several in the last year. There has been one this month, one back in October, a couple mid-last year, and one in April at the very least. The most common mod promotion pattern (there are others), in recent times at least, seems to be 1) an area needs some extra mod help, 2) very-established/senior member(s) in that area nominates someone to one of the admins, 3) admins have a brief internal discussion, and 4) the nomination is usually approved.

SuperSamyon January 13th, 2013 01:52 AM

What will it take to revamp some of the forums on this site? I know a lot of people have offered suggestions but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Do you guys have a committee set up that can review site statistics and address needs?

I ask because it seems like a number of our forums are no longer necessary anymore and only separate important topics. For instance, Heroscape News and Heroscape General Discussion should really be one forum now.

Just a suggestion.

Agent Minivann January 13th, 2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xorlof (Post 1744108)
Quote:

1) What's up with the whole "guest" thing? I've been viewing some old threads and have seen guys like ninjadust, and ultradoug; who, maintain the ability to post even though they are not official members. So, what's the point of being a "guest?" It seems no different than being a member.

That is actually a vBulletin bug. Those people were members when they posted--it is just that their vBulletin profile went a little screwy. I just kicked off a maintenance task which *might* fix it when it is complete, but maybe not...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it relates to being banned before the switch to vBulletin from phpBB. I don't know when the switch happened or when the banning happened, so I could be way off. I don't remember ninjadust, but ultradoug was definitely banned. That one was a pretty big deal.

Joseph Sweeney January 13th, 2013 07:23 AM

Thanks, guys!

Black_Charos January 13th, 2013 04:36 PM

What is a referral? I've seen it on my profile (I have none) and was wondering what it was.

ibechief January 13th, 2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Charos (Post 1744417)
What is a referral? I've seen it on my profile (I have none) and was wondering what it was.

It is my understanding that when a new member signs up, they have the option of submitting the name of a previous member that turned them onto the site.

I believe this is what a referral is.

Joseph Sweeney January 13th, 2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibechief (Post 1744432)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Charos (Post 1744417)

It is my understanding that when a new member signs up, they have the option of submitting the name of a previous member that turned them onto the site.

I believe this is what a referral is.

Quite correct, chief!

Xorlof January 13th, 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSamyon (Post 1744151)
What will it take to revamp some of the forums on this site? I know a lot of people have offered suggestions but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Quite the opposite (it's probably the most active area of discussion recently in the admin forums), but it is fair to say that we haven't communicated back much. Originally we handed things off to an interested member to bring us a proposal, covering the annoying details we need it to cover. He apparently ended up getting busy, so at the end of December the admins started working on this internally.

We're starting out with the topic of revamping the trading area (or specifically addressing the lack thereof) with possible dedicated trading forums complete with a dozen or so rules that apply to just that area. It seemed reasonable to start there given several recent "difficult" trade situations that have happened on the forums. If we (the admins) are going to come to agreement on the trading issue, I'd guess it'll be pretty soon and you'll see the results pretty soon (like February) since we feel pretty motivated right now to what we can to address the trade issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSamyon (Post 1744151)
Do you guys have a committee set up that can review site statistics and address needs?

I ask because it seems like a number of our forums are no longer necessary anymore and only separate important topics. For instance, Heroscape News and Heroscape General Discussion should really be one forum now.

After trading issues are done, other possible forum reorgs should happen quicker. They aren't nearly as thorny of a problem as trading forums. We've already done a decent amount of research and identified areas of need and areas we may want to cut back on. I'll note your suggestion to combine those two forums. If you've got other items on your forum wishlist, now is the time to holler!

superfrog January 19th, 2013 12:31 PM

How do you subscribe to a thread?

I've looked in my user CP but to no avail.

ibechief January 19th, 2013 12:43 PM

at the bottom of the thread under thread tools you will see a http://www.heroscapers.com/community.../subscribe.gif button. To the right of that is where you subscribe by clicking Subscribe to this Thread.

MegaSilver January 19th, 2013 12:47 PM

You can also set it to where when you post in a thread, that you are automatically subscribed.

It's located in the Options Menu, under Default Subscriptions. I suggest selecting "No email notification."

superfrog January 19th, 2013 01:02 PM

Thanks.

samthegoat January 19th, 2013 01:37 PM

Do you have to be a site supporter to upload file into the 'Downloads' section, or have I just missed how to do it?
Thanks in advance,
Samthegoat

Lamaclown January 19th, 2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samthegoat (Post 1747678)
Do you have to be a site supporter to upload file into the 'Downloads' section, or have I just missed how to do it?
Thanks in advance,
Samthegoat

You either have to be a Site Supporter (check the bar on the left side of the screen) or a Contributor.

samthegoat January 22nd, 2013 02:56 PM

What's the deal with Ultradoug? He's the only person I've ever seen post as a 'guest', which only just occurred to me as I saw one of his posts in some old customs thread or another.
Thanks in Advance,
Samthegoat

Lamaclown January 22nd, 2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samthegoat (Post 1749146)
What's the deal with Ultradoug? He's the only person I've ever seen post as a 'guest', which only just occurred to me as I saw one of his posts in some old customs thread or another.
Thanks in Advance,
Samthegoat

From about 15 posts before this one ;)
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...8&postcount=21

capsocrates January 22nd, 2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance,
Samthegoat

It was way before my time, but he was banned for being a really awful guy--about as much of a creep as somebody can be.

Anyways, the reason his posts show up as a "guest" have something to do with the way the forum's backend was upgraded. His banned status was lost in the shuffle or something and he was probably removed from the system entirely--that's my best guess.

Agent Minivann January 22nd, 2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 1749159)
Quote:

Thanks in Advance,
Samthegoat

It was way before my time, but he was banned for being a really awful guy--about as much of a creep as somebody can be.

Anyways, the reason his posts show up as a "guest" have something to do with the way the forum's backend was upgraded. His banned status was lost in the shuffle or something and he was probably removed from the system entirely--that's my best guess.

That is about as nice a spin as you could put on it. He was on probably in the neighborhood of 20 forums as Ultradoug and he deleted everything on all of them when he was "caught". I am going to say that it is probably best to leave it at that unless a certain party decides to share more. Granted it can probably be found if someone was really determined to find it, but I'll just leave it at he wasn't up to anything good.

mac122 February 5th, 2013 11:09 AM

There have been inquiries about the Heroscape Codex lately. I've got PDFs of all the issues and have uploaded them to Google Docs. I tried adding them to the download section here, but apparently they are too big. I tried today to add them using the Link option. It added a download page, but when I tested it, I received an error. Anyone know how to use this function?

greygnarl February 24th, 2013 07:50 PM

When a person's rep power increases does the rep they left previously increase in value too?

Black_Charos February 24th, 2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1770538)
When a person's rep power increases does the rep they left previously increase in value too?

No, rep given corresponds to the power of the person at the time they gave the boon.

marrowick March 3rd, 2013 02:35 PM

Hey I uploaded a couple maps a while a go because I needed to give people a link to building instructions of a map I entered in a map contest. When I first uploaded them a vbulliten message said "I did not have permission to access this page" I figured that downloads had to be approved before being allowed to download but one month later it still says the same thing. Why is this?

Lamaclown March 3rd, 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrowick (Post 1774611)
Hey I uploaded a couple maps a while a go because I needed to give people a link to building instructions of a map I entered in a map contest. When I first uploaded them a vbulliten message said "I did not have permission to access this page" I figured that downloads had to be approved before being allowed to download but one month later it still says the same thing. Why is this?

In order to upload directly to the site you have to be either a Site Supporter (bar on the left side of the screen) or a Contributor.

marrowick March 11th, 2013 12:52 PM

In a few old threads I have seen a post made by someone and below their name it would say "guest" and their post count would read "N/A". What are guests? Is it a function no longer used? Are there still guests around that can post?

Joseph Sweeney March 11th, 2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrowick (Post 1778412)
In a few old threads I have seen a post made by someone and below their name it would say "guest" and their post count would read "N/A". What are guests? Is it a function no longer used? Are there still guests around that can post?

That's been brought up several times here, actually. It has something to do with the user being ban.

greygnarl March 16th, 2013 10:58 PM

Do Site Supporters get bigger signatures? It says I can only get 600 characters including BBCode and I've seen people put tons of links in their sigs.

flameslayer93 March 16th, 2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1782199)
Do Site Supporters get bigger signatures? It says I can only get 600 characters including BBCode and I've seen people put tons of links in their sigs.

Although I don't know if they do or not, I do know people use Tiny URL so they can increase the number of the links they have.

greygnarl March 16th, 2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to flameslayer93 again.

That is awesome and let me fit an extra link in my sig. Now I can't believe I never took the time to learn what that tinyurl thing I'd seen everywhere was.