Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Books (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Books: What are you currently reading? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=11616)

Elstree December 22nd, 2009 01:35 AM

Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

My recommendations:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg
Slaughtermatic by Steve Aylett. This is an over-the-top cartoonish, satirical caricature of the cyberpunk genre, with a classic noir punchiness. The writing itself is absolutely amazing. Every sentence is like a carefully crafted one-line joke. (An example: "Costello had been given six months for crucifying a Valley girl, and everyone was boasting if they'd been given that much time, they could have crucified fifty." Another: "The bewildering tangle of alliances was decipherable only by the frequency and angle at which wounds were inflicted.") There are only two books that, upon finishing, I've immediately turned back to the first page and started all over again. This is one of them. The writing is just that good.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel. The premise of this book is simple: CETI detects a signal, and while the rest of the world is arguing about how to respond the Jesuits quietly send their own mission. The story alternates between flashback and present day, as the Church back on earth tries to piece together exactly what happened and how it went wrong. In part, it's a commentary on Europe's first contact with the New World, but more broadly it's a story of how the best intentions of well-meaning people can go awry. The author is an anthropologist by training, and that background really shines in this tale of culture contact. There's no finger-pointing or moralistic blame-laying here; just an attempt to show how two peoples' failure to understand each other can make things all fall apart.

ParaGoomba Slayer December 22nd, 2009 02:58 PM

The Halo Graphic Novel. I didn't like the first story, I couldn't tell what was going on half the time because the Flood creatures had random mouths, limbs, etc. Sometimes they filled up most of the panel.

The second comic was cool, it was a Spartan armor test. I'm going to read the two other stories tomorrow.

Halo: The Fall of Reach.

SuperflyTNT December 23rd, 2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQuatsch (Post 975400)
I have the Bear and the Dragon. It's decent, but I suggest waiting for a little while before reading it and read Rainbow Six before. The reason to wait is that while it is a good read, it just felt like I had already read something similar. The same thing for The Lost Symbol. It is a good read, but it just made me feel that it was going over the same ground with different names for the characters. That is just what I think and I've read both books twice just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

This is arguably his worst book, IMO. He uses the same phrases repeatedly, almost as if he has some form of "literary Tourette's" stutter. The phrase "That's Real Money" must've been in there 10 times...

I had forgotten to mention this:

"World War Z" by the acclaimed director Mel Brooks' son, Max. GREAT zombie book.

ZBeeblebrox December 23rd, 2009 12:13 PM

I just finished High Lord’s Fury (Codex Alera, Book 6) and all I have to say is….

“Bloody Crows! That was awesome!”

For those of you who are fans of Butcher’s fantasy series, this was his best yet. The battle scenes and the drama were as intense as it gets.
Butcher is great! Read this series, read this book.

-- ZB, excited for the new Dresden novel to release.

Kinseth December 24th, 2009 01:46 AM

just picked up Game of Thrones.

ParaGoomba Slayer December 24th, 2009 02:51 AM

Finished the Halo Graphic Novel. Meh, I wouldn't recommend it.

Jormi_Boced December 24th, 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinseth (Post 979592)
just picked up Game of Thrones.

Enjoy!:D

Shottglazz December 24th, 2009 11:53 AM

Gears of War: Aspho Fields - good background to the whole GoW world...

Land-based AE December 24th, 2009 11:54 AM

I'm reading Anne Rivers Siddons' The House Next Door. So far it's been pretty good. It's done a good job of getting through the slow setup stuff while getting you to believe that something big is coming.

ZBeeblebrox December 24th, 2009 12:12 PM

I read Ruins of Gorlan last night. I just want to thank others who recommended this series, because I enjoyed the first book. It was a refreshing quick read, after reading three fairly large novels in a row.

I will begin the first Mistborn book tonight, which I am looking forward to because of others on this site who has also recommended this series.

Aldin December 24th, 2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox (Post 979712)
I will begin the first Mistborn book tonight, which I am looking forward to because of others on this site who has also recommended this series.

Enjoy, Zaphod!

~Aldin, who hasn't had a pangalactic gargleblaster in quite some time

ZBeeblebrox December 24th, 2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 979726)

Enjoy, Zaphod!

~Aldin, who hasn't had a pangalactic gargleblaster in quite some time

:rofl: