Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Taeblewalker June 3rd, 2015 10:58 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

The boots wording seems awkward to me. The bow wording seems fine. I think it would be fine for the boots to say "This figure adds three to its Move and is never attacked when leaving an engagement." I know it's been through several incarnations already, but that's what seems to work for me.

Dysole June 3rd, 2015 11:09 PM

Word Wise

Boots:

"the" in front of first Boots of Hermes.

Change to "For the duration of the turn never takes leaving engagement attacks."

Godly artifact still has inflict meshed next to another word.

Bow:

Says "destoyed" instead of "destroyed"

If we're modeling it after Sujoah no need for "you may" in front of "roll again".

Last sentence of Special Attack should say "Bow of Apollo Special Attack"

~Dysole, briefly

Confred June 4th, 2015 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 2025426)
The boots wording seems awkward to me. The bow wording seems fine. I think it would be fine for the boots to say "This figure adds three to its Move and is never attacked when leaving an engagement." I know it's been through several incarnations already, but that's what seems to work for me.

For Godly Artifacts drawback to work, the item must be used. If the bonus were static, it would either happen continuously or once ever or some other murky and unclear way. Thus all these Glyphs must be clearly turned on.

Now then, we could still decide to nix the Godly Artifacts vs Ancient Artifacts altogether. The Godly drawback is not even a feature in the God Of War franchise nor anywhere else really. I can still dig it; just reminding the audience a spades a spade.

@TREX I was wondering if the placing the Godly Artifacts on adjacent spaces was purely a Kratos thing. In your post there you imply you want them to be dropped that way by everybody. Which is fine, perhaps preferable, but it'll need to be worded in the Glyph's card and skipped on Kratos's Army Card.

GODLY ARTIFACT
After using any special power on this card, if this figure is not a God or Demigod, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 5 or lower, this figure receives 1 wound. If ever this figure is destroyed, place one at a time all Godly Artifacts on this figure's Army Card power-side up on spaces this figure previously occupied or on empty spaces adjacent to spaces this figure previously occupied. Godly Artifacts are considered to be Ancient Artifacts in every other way.

(The above is italicized on the card because it is reminder text and not a special power per say)

AMPHIBIOUS (Recent official wording)
If a Sahuagin Raider starts its turn on a water space, add 1 to its movement for that turn.
Translated: Boots Of Hermes: PERMANENT GLYPH
Before moving, this figure may use Boots Of Hermes to add 3 to its movement and to never be attacked for leaving an engagement this turn.

Bow Of Apollo
I don't like its base attack at 4 because that would make it strictly better than Kratos' normal attack/Blades Of Exile. And overall I think it would better if instead of automatic wounds, the fire damage was represented in additional skulls.
Structurally, I don't think that the special attack needs to be named, just that it needs to be stated that it's a special attack.
PERMANENT GLYPH
Special Attack. Range 9. Attack 2 Special.
If the defending figure doesn't have the Lava Resistant special power and you rolled at least 1 skull, roll the 20-sided die for fire damage. If you roll a 16 or higher, add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled and continue rolling the 20-sided die to add skulls until you don't roll a 16 or higher.

Base Attack of 2 to balance out the increased Range of 9, but Attack 3 may also work.

The Bow in the source material has two forms basically, it can fire rapid lower than Blades damage or it can aim and charge up its damage to be greater than Blades. The current version would be closer to the latter. My version is closer to the former. Currently Syvarris uses the best bow in the game at 3/9 this one would be 2/9 with chance of being greater. The lower starting number would reduce the chance of it being "OP" and thus be used as a final shot into the distance as all the nearby figures are dispatched by more consistent weaponry that must be used not at extreme ranges, but also give the excitement of getting multiple skulls to combo into a free go at an additional normal or special attack.
Range 9 with Kratos is a major threat. It's cool because it forces against turtling.

Dysole June 4th, 2015 02:45 AM

Precedence

@Confred name me a special attack that doesn't have a name and I'll relent.

~Dysole, who will have more later

Confred June 4th, 2015 07:05 AM

@Dysole currently every special power is named
Except when on any Glyph.
All we get is PERMANENT GLYPH or TEMPORARY GLYPH
I interpret special attacks as special powers
All we get is PERMANENT GLYPH or TEMPORARY GLYPH

Such are my thoughts

dok June 4th, 2015 12:17 PM

Writing out a special attack without giving it a name is a bit awkward; I would suggest naming the special attack. Gem of Lava Resistance provides a useful precedent here. I would suggest something like:
This figure gains the Searing Arrow Special Attack. Range 9. Attack 2+Special. If the defending figure doesn't have the Lava Resistant...

TREX June 4th, 2015 03:38 PM

@Confred , generally we have the glyphs dropped on the space that the figure was destroyed on. On or on an empty adjacent space are both fine with me. The only plus to put them on multiple spaces is when he has a handful on his card, but like I said either works for me. As far as wording goes on the glyphs, I am good with whatever legitimate wording you guys come up with as that is not my cup of tea. As long as it gets the point across on what we want the card to do is all I'm after. It looks like you guys are doing a great job of it. I'm now going to get off of here before I get lynched by my wife.:)(I'm on scapers, and its my wedding anniversary.)

Taeblewalker June 4th, 2015 09:27 PM

Happy anniversary!

Confred June 4th, 2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 2025494)
Writing out a special attack without giving it a name is a bit awkward; I would suggest naming the special attack. Gem of Lava Resistance provides a useful precedent here. I would suggest something like:
This figure gains the Searing Arrow Special Attack. Range 9. Attack 2+Special. If the defending figure doesn't have the Lava Resistant...

Having just TEMPORARY or PERMANENT GLYPH is also awkward, but I digress.
It's interesting that gem gives a named power when the disengage one from D&D doesn't. I assume it's because other powers reference Lava Resistance?
I'm good either way, since others want it named, I won't argue. I will argue to keep it in the same format as the gem, with the special power granted be in the same block of text and not bolded.

Opinions on die roll adding skulls vs wounds?
Attack 4? 3? 2?

Dysole June 4th, 2015 10:02 PM

Another Option

We could also do something like the Heat Breath Special Attack on Bizarro's C3G card.

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...arro_comic.jpg

~Dysole, fine with using the Gem as a template (although it is a bit odd that it doesn't follow the Brooch template)

Confred June 5th, 2015 02:54 PM

Progress Report:
Quote:

BOOTS OF HERMES
(+3 MOVE, DISENGAGE)
GODLY ARTIFACT

PERMANENT TREASURE GLYPH
Before moving, this figure may use Boots Of Hermes to add 3 to its Move value and to never be attacked for leaving an engagement this turn.

GODLY ARTIFACT
After using any special power on this card, if this figure is not a God or Demigod, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 5 or lower, this figure receives 1 wound. If ever this figure is destroyed, place one at a time all Godly Artifacts on this figure's Army Card power-side up on spaces this figure previously occupied or on empty spaces adjacent to spaces this figure previously occupied. Godly Artifacts are considered to be Ancient Artifacts in every other way.

Using a suggested alternative to represent fire damage
Quote:

BOW OF APOLLO
(RANGED SPECIAL ATTACK)
GODLY ARTIFACT

PERMANENT TREASURE GLYPH
This figure gains the Arrows Of Apollo Special Attack special power. Range 9. Attack 2 Special.
When attacking figures without the Lava Resistant special power, for each skull rolled, roll 1 additional attack die. Continue rolling additional attack dice for each skull rolled until no skulls are rolled.

GODLY ARTIFACT

Spoiler Alert!

Edit: I would like to add, Godly Artifacts and their prejudice have grown on me. Without that drawback, Kratos could give his extra treasures to others and keep generating more as long as he personally doesn't have 5.
Probably means more limits are needed in By The Gods.

TREX June 5th, 2015 07:32 PM

@Confred , I like how you incorporated the Bow of Apollo, I like that version better. It still gives a chance to roll enough skulls to attack again without being too many initial dice at first, So cool. @Taeblewalker , thanks, It will be 11 years for me and my old lady.:)