Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Software (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HexScape (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=50162)

Lyrgard April 24th, 2014 10:14 AM

HexScape

Being able to play hex board games online and in 3D is a long lasting dream of many scapers. It is exactly what I'm trying to make happen with :

HexScape

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...pscd64f69c.png

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxgp7K...enshot_800.png

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxgp7K...povMimring.png

Link to the latest HexScape version
Link to the User Manual
Link to the latest HexScape Server version

HexScape is not dedicated to Heroscape, but can be used for that. Ressource to play Heroscape on HexScape can be found there.

What is it ?

HexScape is a software platform that allows you to emulate hex-based board games virtually. While HexScape is currently a work in progress, the ultimate goal is to allow users to emulate any hex-based board game. You can have a map of hexagons, some decors, place and move figures on it. You can also chat, roll dice and put marker on the figures' cards.

For now, HexScape is still under developement, and don't have all the requiered functions, but I'm working on it !

Some principles

The most important principles are those tow :
- HexScape is just like your physical hexboard, only virtual.
- HexScape is intended to support any hex board game

From that, HexScape won't implement any game specific rule. In real life, if you want to take a figure and move it to the other end of the map, regardless of its movement point for instance, you can. In HexScape, you can too. In real life, there no indication on the map to how far a figure may move or attack. Neither will you find it in HexScape. Moreover, the rules to calculate a figure move is game dependent, so HexScape will let you manage that yourself. If you think about it, it is fair : in a tournament, a good player may see some advantageous but odd placement a new player wouldn't see. I wouldn't want HexScape to be unfair to the skills of players by giving them game help.

HexScape is able to read map files generated with the VirtualScape software. For now, it is the only mean to load a map in HexScape.

All datas for a game (figures models, hex tiles textures, and so on...) are stored outside of HexScape, in a folder named "asset". One only need to add or modify data in this folder to add or modify the objets available in HexScape. The easiest way to do that is to find packaged assets for the game you want to play, in the HexScape Data (.hsd) format

HexScape can read army file to load an army, in a format named HexScape Army file format (.hsa).

HexScape can work either in Solo mode, or connect to a server for multiplayer. You can either use an existing server (my open server is located at hexscape.lyrgard.fr:4242) or you can download and launch your own server (for playing in LAN, without internet, for instance), it is super easy !

How is the developement going ?

The first public beta has been release. A list of current functionnality is a follow :
  • Import game specific data in HexScapeData format (decors, figures, cards, dice, markers, tile texture)
  • Multiplayer games (only 2 players for now)
  • Load VirtualScape maps (made with latest version of HexScape)
  • Load armies in HexScape Army format
  • Place, move, rotate and remove freely figure on the map
  • Place, reveal and remove markers on cards
  • Roll dice
  • Chat
  • Limited Point of View mode

A lot of additionnal features will make it into HexScape ! Some key futur features are :
  • Interactive decors (like open/closed door, pickable object, and so on)
  • Map creator (to cut the dependency to VS, that limits the decors avalaible, will allow custom decor)
  • More than 2 players, and game watchers
  • Save and replay of games
  • and much more ...
If you have idea, you are most welcome to tell me ! Just keep in mind the the main principle of HexScape : no game specific mecanism.

HexScape is a Java Open Source software, and the source are avalaible on github. Contributions are welcomed.

Xorlof April 24th, 2014 10:24 AM

Re: HexScape

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyrgard (Post 1931305)
I'm a developper, not a graphic designer. I can only display 3D models that have been done by another person. Is there someone that would be able to make 3D model out of Heroscape figures ?

I haven't looked at your download yet, but I am looking forward to it!

To your question--I have successfully made 3D models of Heroscape figures using the free 123D Catch program. There are a few tricks to get it working well, but if you decide to go that route, I can explain them. (Nothing big--just stuff you could figure out experimenting on your own).

Lyrgard April 25th, 2014 04:45 AM

Thanks for your response, Xorlof.

I didn't know there was free 3D capture program out there ! That's great, and really good news for HexScape ! I would gladly hear your tricks to make it work at the best.

For now, I'll concentrate on coding the software. When it'll be usable, I hope some people here could help me make 3D models for all Heroscape figures.

El T April 25th, 2014 10:50 PM

In terms of graphic design I can't be much help at all, but I just wanted to poke my head in here and say what you're doing sounds awesome, and I can't wait to see where this goes. Godspeed!

bacchus April 26th, 2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El T (Post 1931911)
In terms of graphic design I can't be much help at all, but I just wanted to poke my head in here and say what you're doing sounds awesome, and I can't wait to see where this goes. Godspeed!

Seconded! Even though I've never made an attempt to play Heroscape online, still in full support of this.

Lyrgard May 7th, 2014 09:19 AM

Some update on the progress I'm doing

It is now possible to
- load a map,
- load an army,
- place figures on the map
- move them around with drag&drop, and rotate them with the mouse wheel.
- The application will also display the card of the selected figure.

For now, only the figure of the MS1 RotV are included, but it is easy to add more figure. Let me explain how it works under the hood. My goal was to make a generic software, able to be used to play Heroscape, but not limited to it. Any hex based board game will be playable on HexScape.

All the data are in the directory asset

this directory contains 3 sub-directories, 3dObject, cards et tiles

- tiles
This directory contains a file nammed TileTexture.bmp
This image is used to draw the terrain tiles. You can modify it to change the look of your hexagons

- 3dObject
This directory contains a sub directory for every 3D format supported. For now, it is only ASE format, but more will eventually come.
So, in the ase directory are one sub-directory per 3D object that can be display, be it a decor piece or a figure. The name of the directory will be used as the id of the 3D object. Some of thoses id are used directly by the application (the decors), the others will be used by the cards.

- cards
This directory contains a sub-directory for each army card. Each of those sub-directory is the definition of a card, and contains 3 files :
- Two image files, icon.jpg and card.jpg, respectively an icon to represent the card, and the card itself. To gain screen space, I used rectangular version of the cards.
- A file nammed card.properties that contains :

id : The id of the army card. This id will be used to make army files, and cannot contains spaces.
name : The name of the army card, as it will be displayed in the application
3dFigures : A list of 3D object ids to use to display the figures of this army card, separated by comma. This list also dtermine the number of figures on the army card.
It is really easy to add new army cards :

- first you need to add the 3D objects for each figure to the 3dObject directory
- second you need to add a sub-directory in the cards directory, with the three files (icon.jpg,card.jpg and card.properties) for the army card.
- third, no third, you're done
For now, I won't add more figures but concentrate on finishing a first version of this software. (Also, one of the Tarn Viking Warriors is missing because the 3D file I have is corrupted and cannot be used.)

Lastly, the army files. For now, they must be hand written. Later, a module of the software will allow to create and manage armies in the software.

An army file is a simple text file, with a .hsa extension (for HeroScape Army)

An exemple of Army file :
Code:

Test Army

2x IzumiSamurai
AgentCarr
3x KravMagaAgents
FinnTheVikingChampion
ThorgrimTheVikingChampion
ZettianGuards

The first line can contain anything and if it does not match a card id, it will be used as the army's name.
Empty lines are skiped
Any line non empty line after the first must contain a valid army card id. By valid I mean an id that match one of thoses that are defined in the cards folder. An id can optionnaly be preceded by a number followed by an "x" and a space if the army card is used more than once in this army.

I put the TestArmy.hsa army file in the new .zip, if you want to test.

Link to the file
Once again, it is a simple .zip file. Just decompress it somewhere, and double click on the hexScape-0.0.3.jar file to launch HexScape

What I need to do now

- Be able to add various markers to cards
- Order markers management
- Dice management
- 2 players online

Please feel free to give your feedbacks if you test this pre-alpha version !

GaryLASQ May 8th, 2014 01:13 AM

Loading a map (.hsc file) did not work for me. No error, it just didn't load. I tried one of the example maps that comes with VirtualScape (latest version 1.070) in the "Exemples" folder.

Loading the TestArmy.hsa worked fine, but I couldn't do much without a map loaded.

I'm on Windows 7. My Java version is up-to-date.

Lyrgard May 8th, 2014 05:15 AM

Hello GaryLASQ, and thanks for trying HexScape.

As I said in the first post, HexScape only support the last version of .hsc files. (While VirtualScape support reading any version, but save only to the last version). I downloaded the last VirtualScape .zip and opened it. The map in it were not made with the last version of VirtualSCape (they are probably shipped with VirtualScape since previous versions, and were just copied to this new version), so it is normal that you didn't manage to open them with HexScape.
The simplest way to upgrade a map to the last version is to open it with VirtualScape and just save it without doing any modification. Once this is done, you should be able to open the map with HexScape.

Please tell me if it worked for you ! And thanks again for giving it a go !

Spuke Boy May 8th, 2014 10:35 AM

First of all: Beautiful work on this project!

A couple of things I found:

When I was about to place a figure, scrolling sometimes didn't turn the figure. After placing the figure it worked fine again. As it just happened sometimes I couldn't quite figure out when exactly it happened. Once a figure had already been placed there was never a problem.

Another issue just occurs when you look at the map from a flat angle. When I click on a figure while there are other tiles behind it, the figure is placed on the tile behind it right away. A way to solve this problem would be to only start moving the figure once the mouse was moved a certain distance, or the mouse was clicked for a certain time. Like that, whenever I just click a figure, it only gets selected and won't be accidentally moved some place else.

Something you might already be aware of: It is currently possible to place figures on spaces you can't see, for example behind a ruin, behind a glacier or below an overhang. It is also possible to place figures on spaces occupied by a glacier, a jungle tree/bush or a normal tree.

Another thing you might already know: When opening a different map, any figures placed on the map that was open before remain on their spaces and are invisible. A possible solution would be to open the new map in a different window without any armies loaded in it.

I'm looking forward to the next version! Keep it up :D

Porkins May 8th, 2014 01:26 PM

Wow, great stuff!

Preface: I have not tried out the download yet.

A suggestion: will it be possible to add custom terrain objects? Or will the software only read in whatever is in the .hsc file?

Lyrgard May 8th, 2014 02:20 PM

Thanks Spuke Boy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuke Boy (Post 1936019)
When I was about to place a figure, scrolling sometimes didn't turn the figure. After placing the figure it worked fine again. As it just happened sometimes I couldn't quite figure out when exactly it happened. Once a figure had already been placed there was never a problem.

That's strange. I'll look into it.

Quote:

Another issue just occurs when you look at the map from a flat angle. When I click on a figure while there are other tiles behind it, the figure is placed on the tile behind it right away. A way to solve this problem would be to only start moving the figure once the mouse was moved a certain distance, or the mouse was clicked for a certain time. Like that, whenever I just click a figure, it only gets selected and won't be accidentally moved some place else.

Yeah, I already knew the problem, and you analyzed it and proposed very correct solution to it ! Did you already work on 3D software ? I think I'll go the "wait till the mouse move a certain distance to begin moving" way (I guess some people could be clicking really slowly for the other way), what do you think ?

Quote:

Something you might already be aware of: It is currently possible to place figures on spaces you can't see, for example behind a ruin, behind a glacier or below an overhang. It is also possible to place figures on spaces occupied by a glacier, a jungle tree/bush or a normal tree.

Yes, I know this already. For now, I won't manage collision with decor pieces, but I'll definitevelly come back at it when I'll have a playable version of HexScape. My main concern are the bush and jungle tree. They are quite flexible in real life and totally won't be in java, so it could prevent move that could be made irl.

Quote:

Another thing you might already know: When opening a different map, any figures placed on the map that was open before remain on their spaces and are invisible. A possible solution would be to open the new map in a different window without any armies loaded in it.

I missed this one ! You're right, I'll remove figure on the map befrore loading another one.

Quote:

I'm looking forward to the next version! Keep it up :D

Stay tuned !

Also, HexScape will be an open source software, with source available on github. I already made the project there. For now, the sources on github are totally not up to date (I need to push a LOT of changes), but I started to use github to not the issues.

The ones you posted, plus others from the french forum can be found at https://github.com/lyrgard/HexScape/issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkins (Post 1936109)
Wow, great stuff!

Preface: I have not tried out the download yet.

A suggestion: will it be possible to add custom terrain objects? Or will the software only read in whatever is in the .hsc file?

For now, I'll concentrate on using .hsc files, because it is the fastest way to have maps easilly available. Also, custom terrain add some problemes, for instance you need some way to tell HexScape where on the custom terrain figures can land. Perhaps I'll add support for custom terrain someday, but not before HexScape is fully playable with .hsc maps.
But I agree with you it could be super cool (and I believe C3G members would LOVE it ! Skyscrappers anyone ?)
The simplest way to do it would be to make a VirtualScape map with hex tiles where the figure can land, and I could add some way in the software to add custom decors after the map is loaded. Hum... this way, it could be made quite easilly. Still, I'll first make HexScape playable before thinking about doing it.
I'll note your suggestion.

GaryLASQ May 8th, 2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyrgard (Post 1935980)
The map in it were not made with the last version of VirtualSCape

The example maps weren't re-saved with the released version they came with? Groan. I rarely use VS, so didn't realize this.

It works with a newly created map. Cool.