Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Phoenix (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=41130)

Griffin May 10th, 2012 09:52 PM

The Book of Phoenix

The Book of Phoenix

C3G MARVEL WAVE 16
XTINCTION AGENDA

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...enix_comic.png

The figure used for this unit is a HeroClix figure from the Xplosion set.
Its model number and name are #095 / Phoenix.

Character Bio - Born as a Mutant Telepath with telekinetic and telepathic powers, Jean Grey is a magnet for the cosmic Phoenix Force which has resurrected her from death several times, but has also put her friends in harms way due to the unstable nature of the Phoenix Force. She is an original member of the X-men, and has a long history with them, especially her husband Scott Summers and her mentor Professor X. Jean Grey is a loving and compassionate person with the curse of being marked by the Phoenix Force entity that chooses to manifest itself at will in the telepath of its own choosing.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: What happens when Phoenix is destroyed and her Phoenix Fire destroys the opponent's last figure? Who wins? Or is it a tie?
  • A: It's a tie, because the victory conditions aren't checked for until the end of the turn after all powers have been applied.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Phoenix may be drafted into the same army as a Merciful Jean Grey figure, due to her Phoenix's Phoenix Birth special power, and placed on the battlefield after your other Jean Grey is destroyed. Current Merciful Jean Grey figures: Jean Grey.

-Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses-

ImmunitiesBenefitsWeaknesses_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Griffin May 10th, 2012 09:52 PM

Re: The Book of Phoenix - Designing

NAME = PHOENIX
SECRET IDENTITY = JEAN GREY

SPECIES = MUTANT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = TELEPATH
PERSONALITY = UNSTABLE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 6

POINTS = 230

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Jean Grey figure with the Merciful personality. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. Your Merciful Jean Grey must use the Phoenix Fire special power, and when Phoenix Fire refers to Phoenix, it refers to your Merciful Jean Grey as well. When your Merciful Jean Grey is destroyed, switch her with Phoenix.

PSIONIC BLAST
After moving and before attacking, you may choose 4 spaces in a straight line from Phoenix. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11 or higher, you may place any or all figures on the chosen spaces on any empty spaces within 2 spaces of their original placement. One at a time, you may roll 1 unblockable attack die against each placed figure.

PHOENIX FIRE
Anytime Phoenix receives one or more wounds or is destroyed, you must immediately roll 1 unblockable attack die against each adjacent figure, one at a time.

SUPER STRENGTH

FLYING

Hahma May 10th, 2012 10:52 PM

Cool stuff Griff 8)

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. A Merciful Jean Grey that you control gains, and must use the Phoenix Fire special power, and if she is destroyed, switch her with Phoenix.

PHOENIX FIRE
Anytime Phoenix a figure you control with this special power receives one or more wounds or is destroyed, one at a time, you must roll 1 unblockable attack die against each figure adjacent to her.

Not sure if those suggestions work. I just thought it would make it clear that Jean Grey has the power of Phoenix Fire when she's played in the same army as Phoenix. Also, Phoenix Fire referred to Phoenix, so it would sound kind of wonky if Jean Grey had the power that referred to Phoenix taking wounds, especially since Phoenix isn't in play.

I guess the only other thing is that with no special defense, her 5 defense and 4 lives doesn't seem to make her much more durable than normal JG, though Phoenix does have flying to give her better defense if there's any height available.

Griffin May 10th, 2012 10:56 PM

I like that first change Hahma, although the second one would stack if you had multiple figures in play with the same power on its card. I think some Doctor Doom wording as in "refers to this figure/card" text will help out here. And I definitely want to bump her defense up to 6 now that you mention it.

Thanks.

tcglkn May 10th, 2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1606318)
PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. A Merciful Jean Grey that you control must use the Phoenix Fire special power, and if she is destroyed, switch her with Phoenix.

PHOENIX FIRE
Anytime Phoenix a Jean Grey figure you control receives one or more wounds or is destroyed, one at a time, you must roll 1 unblockable attack die against each figure adjacent to her.

I think this sounds better than what Hahma suggests, but he is on the right track. Since Phoenix Birth says that the Merciful Jean Grey figure can use Phoenix Fire, it seems pretty clear to me. :up:

Griffin May 10th, 2012 11:03 PM

Good call Tickle. I think that edit and a defense of 6 should do. Also, I think a move of 6 is appropriate here too.

A3n May 10th, 2012 11:12 PM

Yeah I was really confused reading the OP but Hahma's & Tcglkn's suggested changes help make it clearer. I don't really know the character apart from whichever Xmen movie she was in, so I must ask what is behind the Phoenix Fire?

Griffin May 10th, 2012 11:16 PM

It is an intense Psionic Fire that is emitted when she is at a high emotional state and starts to loose control to the Phoenix Force that is within her.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2012 12:13 AM

Aren't these kind of redundant, actually?

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. A Merciful Jean Grey that you control must use the Phoenix Fire special power, and if she is destroyed, switch her with Phoenix.

PHOENIX FIRE
Anytime a Jean Grey figure you control receives one or more wounds or is destroyed, one at a time, you must roll 1 unblockable attack die against each figure adjacent to her.

I actually think we should delete it from the first, because Phoenix will never be destroyed before the other Jean Grey figure, and the power on Phoenix's card will be in effect when either her or the Merciful figure is attacked without needing what's in the first power. In fact, Merciful Jean Grey isn't really using the power, she's just benefiting from its effects. Nothing in the Phoenix Fire power says the figure with the power on its card needs to be on the battlefield for it to work. So I really think we can and should lose the reference from the first power.

I also think we need a small addition. Here's what I'm thinking for that first power:

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure with Phoenix.

So, all together:

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure with Phoenix. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. If a Merciful Jean Grey that you control if she is destroyed, immediately replace her with Phoenix on the battlefield.

Griffin May 11th, 2012 12:53 AM

I just remembered to mention, I am reusing Phoenix Fire on Dark Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix will be designed so that you can draft her along with Jean Grey and Phoenix so that Jean Grey can continue to "evolve" during the game. With that said, I don't want Phoenix Fire to stack on multiple figures so that, for example, Jean Grey ends up rolling 2 or more dice when she takes damage or is destroyed.

Griffin May 11th, 2012 01:06 AM

With that said, the only thing I see value in updating right now is the move and defense to 6s.

IAmBatman May 11th, 2012 09:45 AM

In that case, I'd be in favor of these changes to the wording:

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure with Phoenix. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. A Merciful Jean Grey that you control must use the Phoenix Fire special power, with any reference in that special power referring to your Merciful Jean Grey instead. If your Merciful Jean Grey is destroyed, immediately replace her with Phoenix on the battlefield.

For pasting:

PHOENIX BIRTH
You may draft a Merciful Jean Grey figure with Phoenix. If you do, Phoenix does not start the game on the battlefield. A Merciful Jean Grey that you control must use the Phoenix Fire special power, with any reference in that special power referring to your Merciful Jean Grey instead. If your Merciful Jean Grey is destroyed, immediately replace her with Phoenix on the battlefield.