Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Scapers Online (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Website Issues (With Mysterious Disappearing Final Page) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=17519)

funrun April 13th, 2008 11:51 PM

Website Issues (With Mysterious Disappearing Final Page)

Do NOT post here unless you encounter a problem with the new site. This will help us fix problems faster.

Some answers to common issues will be kept answered in this first post. . .

Page layout is too narrow: scroll way down to the sage green footer bar to the "Page Layout/Style Options". In the drop-down menu select the Wide style. This style is currently untested and may have other errors. Do not post about an error here unless you can verify the same error also exists in the Default style.

Missing user titles: some got imported and some did not. If yours is missing, then this new site is a chance to reinvent yourself and *maybe* get a new title.

Missing "View Your Posts" link: this new site actually doesn't contain any built-in functionality for a link like this. There are two ways to find threads with your old posts:
1. Use the Search page to find all posts/threads by you.
2. As you make new posts to this site, you will automatically be "subscribed" to those threads. Now with one click to "User CP" from the main nav bar, you will get a list of all your new subscribed threads, which is the best equivalent of this old page. The only drawback is your subscribed threads won't be tracking any old threads that you have only posted to on the old site.

Got logged out unexpectedly, and lost a post you were writing: First, understand that you were logged out because you took more than 15 minutes to write that post, so the server thought you were inactive. You can't prevent the log out, but you CAN prevent that lost post! The unsubmitted post retrieval method on this site is the total opposite of what it was on the old site. . . When you get logged out, the system automatically takes you to a page to log in again. If you simply log in on that page without clicking anything else, then you will be taken right back to the post you were writing as if you never logged out. If you accidently use your browser's back button to attempt to retrieve your draft post (as was the method on the old site), then your draft will be lost forever!

Confirmed issues will be replied to by an admin. Admins, please make issues easier to spot by formatting it like this:
Description of issue: unresolved.

Suspected, but un-confirmed issues should be written (by Admins only) in purple.

Description of issue: resolved.

Onacara April 13th, 2008 11:55 PM

Re: New Site: Unresolved Issues

funrun...I am noticing that even though all of the threads have been read in a particular forum that it still shows that there are "new" posts unless I navigate out of the forum by clicking the Forums button itself.

I hope that makes sense.

Onacara April 14th, 2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey (Post 534087)
I went into the Deathreavers and Monks thread. A guy quoted my post, but I can't find my original post anywhere in the thread. Even though he quoted it in response. Also, when I enter the thread on page two and then use the arrows or click on the number to go back to page one, I can't find anyway to click over to page two again.I've only been able to duplicate this problem in a few threads. That one most consistently.

I had this "problem" too...you need to change your Display Modes option to Linear Mode...that way you can see all of the posts in order.

Linear Mode
Switch to Hybrid Mode
Switch to Threaded Mode

Onacara April 14th, 2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey (Post 534088)
Okay this is weird. I thought I just posted here with an issue, but I came back and it's gone. I've been seeing that a lot. I can't see my own posts in a thread.

Do you have yourself on ignore? ;)

naps420 April 14th, 2008 12:23 AM

I have noticed that we are unable to change the title of our post. There is an option in edit, if you click on "Go Advance" button, however, this only changes the post title while you view the post itself. If you go to the forum, where all the threads are listed, the original title will still be shown. I hope this makes sense.

Grungebob April 14th, 2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naps420 (Post 534101)
I have noticed that we are unable to change the title of our post. There is an option in edit, if you click on "Go Advance" button, however, this only changes the post title while you view the post itself. If you go to the forum, where all the threads are listed, the original title will still be shown. I hope this makes sense.

A thread title can only be changed by an admin

Onacara April 14th, 2008 12:27 AM

I think funrun said that they cannot be edited by anyone but Mods/Admin...

Everyone shouldn't barrage them with emails/PMs to change their titles for them.

Perhaps a thread where people can post the following information.

1-Link to their thread
2-New name for the thread

This way the mods can take turns changing them over and then delete the posts in the "Can you change my thread name?" as they are completed.

Just a thought.

naps420 April 14th, 2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 534105)
I think funrun said that they cannot be edited by anyone but Mods/Admin...

Everyone shouldn't barrage them with emails/PMs to change their titles for them.

Perhaps a thread where people can post the following information.

1-Link to their thread
2-New name for the thread

This way the mods can take turns changing them over and then delete the posts in the "Can you change my thread name?" as they are completed.

Just a thought.

I agree with your idea, and hope that over time, this can be done. A lot of the contributers to the site (In the form of maps, figures, scenarios, software, ect..) have some rather large threads that we would normally change the title of the threads to show updates, some in forms of the name of what we have posted and by date of when it was updated. I would hate to see mine forever stuck at showing being last updated in March. Even if we could just change them to a simple, basic title, such as "John/Jane Doe's _____ Thread". I really would enjoy being able to change my own thread titles as we were once able to do before. If it's possible to do within the new forum code or whatever, I really hope this is discussed and taken into consideration for the public to be able to change their own post titles.

funrun April 14th, 2008 01:08 AM

Ability to change thread titles: fixed.

funrun April 14th, 2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 534075)
funrun...I am noticing that even though all of the threads have been read in a particular forum that it still shows that there are "new" posts unless I navigate out of the forum by clicking the Forums button itself.

I hope that makes sense.

This sounds like a browser cache problem. I am not sure it is actually a problem with this site. Even if it is, nothing comes to mind that would change this in the site settings.