Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Balantai January 31st, 2013 11:51 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1754239)
How about along with the 5 Ability glyphs, we do a few Treasure Glyphs that could be used in scenarios? LC mentioned guns and knives. Maybe a pistol, rifle, and knife?

Sounds good to me.

Balantai February 1st, 2013 11:33 AM

Okay. Let's start making some Ability/Equipment Glyphs.

Ideas:

COUNTERSTRIKE
When defending against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable wounds on the attacking figure.

TACTICIAN
Friendly figures adjacent to the figure that controls this Ability Glyph may add 1 to their attack and 1 to their defense.

FIELD GENERAL
After revealing an Order Marker on the figure that control's this Ability Glyph's card, before taking a turn with that figure, you may take a turn with any squad you control.

McHotcakes February 1st, 2013 12:02 PM

If all ability cards on Thomas Hunter's card are to be treated as regular abilities on his card, then do we have to say the figure that controls this Ability Glyph, or can we just call him Thomas Hunter?

Anyway some more ideas.

Wushu Assault
When Thomas Hunter attacks with a normal attack he may attack any or all figures adjacent to him. Roll each attack seperatly.

Black Powder Bombs Special Attack
Range 5. Lob 12. Attack 3.
Instead of attacking normally Thomas Hunter may use his Black Powder Bombs Special Attack. Choose a figure to attack, no clear line of sight is needed. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected. Roll 3 attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

mac122 February 1st, 2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1755004)
If all ability cards on Thomas Hunter's card are to be treated as regular abilities on his card, then do we have to say the figure that controls this Ability Glyph, or can we just call him Thomas Hunter?

Anyway some more ideas.

Wushu Assault
When Thomas Hunter attacks with a normal attack he may attack any or all figures adjacent to him. Roll each attack seperatly.

Instead of attacking normally Thomas Hunter may use his Black Powder Bombs Special Attack. Choose a figure to attack, no clear line of sight is needed. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected. Roll 3 attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately.

Good suggestions. Keeping the language generic instead of referring to Thomas Hunter would keep open the possibility of using these for other figures down the road.

Another one I'd like to see is Tactical Switch. I've always felt this power did a great job of representing the ability to take control during hand-to-hand combat, forcing your opponent into a weaker position
Quote:

TACTICAL SWITCH
When this figure attacks an opponent's Small or Medium figure, before rolling the attack dice, you may switch this figure with the defending figure. After switching spaces, this figure must continue that attack, if possible, and cannot attack any other figure this turn. Figures moved by Tactical Switch never take any leaving engagement attacks. An opponent's figure may be moved by Tactical Switch only once per turn.
I think Black Powder Bombs should be a Temporary Treasure Glyph instead.

Here are some of the ideas I had for the Treasure Glyphs

Quote:

Pistol
(Ranged Attack)

Permanent Treasure Glyph
When attacking, this figure may use the Pistol Special Attack.
Pistol Special Attack
Range 5. Attack 2.
This figure may attack up to 3 times each turn with Pistol Special Attack.
Quote:

Rifle
(Long-Range Attack)

Permanent Treasure Glyph
When attacking, this figure may use Rifle Special Attack.
Rifle Special Attack
Range 10. Attack 1.
Choose a non-adjacent, Small or Medium figure to attack. The chosen figure cannot roll defense dice when attacked by this figures Rifle Special Attack. This figure may not use Rifle Special Attack if it moved this turn.
Quote:

Hunting Knife
(Melee Enhancement)

Permanent Treasure Glyph
This figure adds 1 die to its normal attack against adjacent figures.

mac122 February 2nd, 2013 05:26 PM

In working on the images for the card, I found some pics of Thomas Hunter from the graphic novel versions of the book.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C5jvcdHIL.jpg
Score! Based on this, this mini would work well, too.
http://www.hcrealms.com/units/an026.jpg
It would require a bit of paint on the shirt to cover up the Super symbol.

JC McMinis February 2nd, 2013 11:57 PM

Nice choice mac. Sorry I havent been around on this one. Had the flu bouncing around my house like a pinball. 3 out of 4 kids plus myself and my wife got it. Just getting better, will have to catch up and give some opinions tomorrow.

Lamaclown February 4th, 2013 09:56 AM

Sorry for my lack of posting. My internet is hit or miss on the weekends so I don't post much of anything worth substance (more then once I have typed out a substantive post only to not realize the internet had gone out when I hit post :grrrr:)

Anyhow...

I really like the ideas for the Ability and Treasure glyphs

There are already five ability glyphs which is what we were aiming for and I think every one of them is perfectly thematic with the books (are you guys sure you haven't read them?); perfect enough I can't think of any others that wouldn't just be superfluous to what has already been posted. Maybe change Wushu Assault to Whirlwind Assault to keep the style a little more generic (I know the name was based on what I said earlier about Thomas' fighting style).

For reference...

Ability Glyphs
Quote:

WUSHU/WHIRLWIND ASSAULT
When this figure attacks with a normal attack it may attack any or all figures adjacent to it. Roll each attack separately.

TACTICAL SWITCH
When this figure attacks an opponent's Small or Medium figure, before rolling the attack dice, you may switch this figure with the defending figure. After switching spaces, this figure must continue that attack, if possible, and cannot attack any other figure this turn. Figures moved by Tactical Switch never take any leaving engagement attacks. An opponent's figure may be moved by Tactical Switch only once per turn.

COUNTERSTRIKE
When defending against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable wounds on the attacking figure.

TACTICIAN
Friendly figures adjacent to the figure that controls this Ability Glyph may add 1 to their attack and 1 to their defense.

FIELD GENERAL
After revealing an Order Marker on the figure that control's this Ability Glyph's card, before taking a turn with that figure, you may take a turn with any squad you control.
Treasure Glyphs
Quote:

Temporary Treasure Glyph

Pistol
Permanent Treasure Glyph
When attacking, this figure may use the Pistol Special Attack.
Pistol Special Attack
Range 5. Attack 2.
This figure may attack up to 3 times each turn with Pistol Special Attack.

Rifle
Permanent Treasure Glyph
When attacking, this figure may use Rifle Special Attack.
Rifle Special Attack
Range 10. Attack 1.
Choose a non-adjacent, Small or Medium figure to attack. The chosen figure cannot roll defense dice when attacked by this figures Rifle Special Attack. This figure may not use Rifle Special Attack if it moved this turn.

Hunting Knife
Permanent Treasure Glyph
This figure adds 1 die to its normal attack against adjacent figures.

mac122 February 4th, 2013 10:28 AM

Do we want to leave the Treasure glyphs strictly as add-ons for a scenario or try to incorporate them into the character design?

SirGalahad February 4th, 2013 10:34 AM

Whirlwind Assault and Tactical Switch may cause some interesting problems. Say Thomas ends his movement engaged with the figure at the tip of a 4-figure diamond-shaped pod. He uses Tactical Switch to change positions with front figure in the pod. Now is engaged with all 4 figures. Should he then get to use Whirlwind Assault to attack all 4 figures?

Lamaclown February 4th, 2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1756882)
Do we want to leave the Treasure glyphs strictly as add-ons for a scenario or try to incorporate them into the character design?

I would be fine just using them for a scenario. Thomas did use guns in the books but he mostly fought hand to hand. Guns were always secondary for him.

BTW, I forgot to mention awesome find on the miniature. Based on the cover of the graphic novel, I don't know if we could find a more perfect mini that wasn't actually made for the unit.

mac122 February 4th, 2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

TACTICAL SWITCH
If I'm interpreting the text correctly, Tactical Switch prevents additional attacks after using it, but I don't think it precludes attacking other figures before using TS.

Say Thomas is engaged with 3 opponent's. He attacks the first 2 that are on the same level then uses Tactical Switch to swap places with the one on height. If he chooses to use Tactical Switch first, he can only attack the figure he switched places with.

Edit: if I'm interpreting it incorrectly, then Thomas would have to make the decision which ability will help the most.

SirGalahad February 4th, 2013 11:11 AM

You're right. That's what I get for posting while sick.