Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   General (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What is your religion? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=10055)

bluekitsune13 July 19th, 2007 09:32 AM

What is your religion?

I think the search function is gone, so I couldn't find the other topic if there was one. Anyway, I'll bring it up again. I'm really curious to find out what others religious persuasions are (if any). I know there are a few hardcore Christians (not necessarily here) that condemn board games and such, as if they are evil incarnations of the devil himself (things like Dungeons and Dragons, and Pokemon come to mind first). I know most Christians aren't like that, but it just came to mind.

Anyway, I'm an atheist myself. I find all religions to be inherently silly, and I like to promote rational thought and education wherever I can. I'm young now (just turned 19), but I plan to get more involved in my atheism later. I've already studied up on religion, and probably know more about the Bible than most people who call themselves Christian do.

So anyway, I don't mean for this to turn into a flame war, but I'm sure people will get offended. My wish it to bring religion out of the taboo, and to let people talk about it. By doing so I hope we can get rid of all the violence and hate religion causes.

Bannister July 19th, 2007 09:36 AM

I don't think this is going to last long.

:D

Bannister

GIR July 19th, 2007 09:37 AM

I don't think this thread is appropiate.

Whatever, I'm other, Hindatholic.

CupidsArt July 19th, 2007 09:43 AM

Oh, please do be careful with this thread. This can be some very dangerous water to tread in.

Oh and by the way, I am a Taoic Agnostic Gnosticist, :lol:

Draconious July 19th, 2007 09:47 AM

Thread should be ok, as long as no one comments (good or bad) toward some one elses answer...

I guess I just believe what I believe.. a little of everything...

Bannister July 19th, 2007 09:58 AM

Draconius,

I agree I just think it might be a bit much ask for this not to get .... testy.

Bannister

PS Atheist / Pastafarian

toddrew July 19th, 2007 10:07 AM

Christian, but, theological contradictions be darned, devote pastafarian as well.

Zorgophlats July 19th, 2007 10:08 AM

Re: What is your religion?

Personally, I'm a Protestent Christian Nondenominational (I think I just denominated myself).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluekitsune13
I'm an atheist myself.

I don't hate or dislike you for your choice. Actually, I can understand why you've choosen your path in life. I can see where many ideas in the bible might have come from world misunderstanding and exageration. But I still have my faith in something more. I do believe in the universe being billions of years old, evolution, and a higher power directing it all. I haven't yet meet a true athiest (one who identifies himself as one). I am curious as to how you came to your decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluekitsune13
I like to promote rational thought wherever I can. I'm young now, but I plan to get more involved in my atheism later.

My understanding is that atheism is the belief that religion isn't real, and there is nothing after death. I'm not sure how you can get more involved. Maybe I missed something. Please explain. I am truly curious and not out to condemn you in any way.

Also, don't try to convert me into atheism, and I won't try to convert you. Only a shared discussion about beliefs. Deal?

Bach July 19th, 2007 10:09 AM

I'm buddhist, and I love the shaolin monks! It's awesome how they included my religion in heroscape!

:joke: I'm actually a Christian.

Edit: I added the letter "a" to make that statement make sense. Sorry for not being perfect, markwars.

markwars July 19th, 2007 10:09 AM

You need to edit your poll. Christian is not a religion....Christianity is. The same goes for Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Agnosticism, Atheism, and Paganism. And also, there is no such thing as a "Hinduist". I would suggest you check out a site like this...

http://www.omsakthi.org/religions.html

Whether you have religious beliefs of not you should educate yourself on the subject.

ej July 19th, 2007 10:15 AM

I'll play.

I'm a Christian/Agnostic. Basically I'm all for the idea of a God. I just don't trust that the Bible is really the divine Word of God. I can so easily see it as a culmination of myths and legends that were somehow sanctified by men for whatever reasons they might have had. I can also see it as a way of fooling the masses into accepting the oppression they were suffering then by believing there was eternal bliss afterwards.

I vacillate between believing in an intelligent, caring God and not believing. There are times when I truly believe I feel His presence, or see His influence on my life or on the lives of others. Then there are times when my intellect rails against the concept.

toddrew July 19th, 2007 10:16 AM

markwars, grammartarian. ;)