Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gen Con (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Decide Brownsfan's Main Event Army (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=25359)

Brownsfan82 June 5th, 2009 01:25 AM

Decide Brownsfan's Main Event Army

I can never decide on a tournament army, let alone a GenCon main tournament army. So, I am asking you, Heroscapers of the world, what should I play?

There are 5 choices of armies that I have already considered and even play tested in some occasions. Please vote on what you think would be the most competitive. I will play the army that is decided by this thread. Please be honest. I want to hear the voice of the general populus.

Team1
4X 4th Massachusetts Line
Charos

Team2
3X 10th Regiment
Marcus Decimus
1X Romans
Kaemon Awa

Team3
3X Repulsars
3X Omnicron Snipers
Raelin ROTV

Team4
4X Knights of Weston
Alastair McDirk
Thorogrim
Elgrim

Team5

Krav Maga Agents
Q9
2X Minions of Utgar

May the best team win!

I have changed teams 1, 2, and 3 to accommodate starting zone spaces for day 2 (and a rule with the Repulsars that I did not understand. If you have voted and want to change your vote just let me know and I will change the results to the actual vote at the end.

Devil's Advocate June 5th, 2009 01:54 AM

Re: Decide Brownsfan's Main Event Army

I voted Team 3, I was tempted to choose team 1 but am not a fan of Raelin since she only adds 1 dice to the 4th. How about 5x Mass + the sometimes game breaking AE, not sure what you would want to do with the remaining 40

Messenger June 5th, 2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownsfan82 (Post 840328)
Team1
6X 4th Massachusetts Line
Raelin
(1 soldier sitting)

It's tough weighing Raelin's benefit of adding 2def, when you complicate order marker placement and troop movement (the mass are forced to stay within her aura in order to benefit). Also, assuming you move to day two, the additional points are difficult to work in. You're already sitting one Minuteman, how are you going to add 75/100/140 points?

Quote:

Team2
4X 10th Regiment
Marcus Decimus
2X Roman Legionnaires
(Legionnaire benched)

Same problem as above. You've got no wiggle room for additional points (you're already benching a guy). A solid build (I'd be a little worried about Zelrig & the Airborne Elite), but day 2 adjustments would prove difficult.

Quote:

Team3
5X Repulsars
3X Omnicron Snipers

Again, you're full on hexes at 24. Decent firepower, but how about sacrificing 2 squads of Reps for Raelin? Then you'll have some day 2 options.

Quote:

Team4
4X Knights of Weston
Alastair McDirk
Thorogrim
Elgrim

??? I'll assume you don't have Sir Gilbert. Any competitive knight build really should include him. Although, with a small enough map you might do alright. Still...

Quote:

Team5
Krav Maga Agents
Q9
2X Minions of Utgar

Interesting...If you lead with the Krav and try to whittle down your opponent's ranged threats. Move in with the Minions. Q9 for clean-up. Hmmm...

Some of these have promise if tweaked a little. That last one is intriguing for some reason. Have you playtested it?

Messenger June 5th, 2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate (Post 840338)
I voted Team 3, I was tempted to choose team 1 but am not a fan of Raelin since she only adds 1 dice to the 4th. How about 5x Mass + the sometimes game breaking AE, not sure what you would want to do with the remaining 40

It's hard to think of a situation where I'd want to give up the 4th's valiant defense bonus. I'm not even convinced about Raelin. You're only gaining one defense and that's if you stay within her aura; it's not worth restricting troop movement to include her.

Devil's Advocate June 5th, 2009 02:16 AM

I agree with Messenger. I think you can include Non Valiant if you have sort of a suicide squad/Hero like maybe Zelrig, Cyprien, AE who can go straight for the opponents start zone, cause havoc, and then grant the valiant bonus after they drop or die. 5x Mass and Cyprien is an even 500 although the AE might be more versatile

Brownsfan82 June 5th, 2009 11:33 AM

Thanks guys for the advice about leaving starting zone hexes open. I think I can work around it though. For example:

Team 1: Drop a single 4th mass figure and add Marcus

Team 2: Drop 1 more Roman and add Raelin

Team 3: Drop 1 repulsar and add Raelin

I think the mentality of focusing on the first day will work best for me. Thanks for posting and continue to vote. I am still going to stick with whatever is voted in.

Brownsfan82 June 5th, 2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messenger;840344[quote=Brownsfan82 (Post 840328)
Team5
Krav Maga Agents
Q9
2X Minions of Utgar

Interesting...If you lead with the Krav and try to whittle down your opponent's ranged threats. Move in with the Minions. Q9 for clean-up. Hmmm...

Some of these have promise if tweaked a little. That last one is intriguing for some reason. Have you playtested it?[/quote]

No I have not. That was the only team I created when I made the post. I came up with it at that moment. My idea was to use the minions to kill and grab an important glyph and then bring up the Krav. Then Q9 would clean up. But that strategy is also awesome. So I could do both if I play the team. Thanks!

SuperflyTNT June 5th, 2009 11:50 AM

None of the above...but if I had to play one, it'd be

Team5
Krav Maga Agents
Q9
2X Minions of Utgar

Brownsfan82 June 5th, 2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT (Post 840632)
None of the above...but if I had to play one, it'd be

I got a chuckle out of that one. I want to do something different and still use great units and synergy. So, my teams probably is a not a champion's idea.

dok June 5th, 2009 12:43 PM

If those are my options, I gotta go with team 5. Teams 1, 2, and 3 are interesting, but have no upgrade path for day 2. Team 4 could be good with some Gilbert love, but it seems pretty slow without him. Team 5 is sort of a hodgepodge, but there's no reason it can't work. Plenty of day 2 options there, although I'm not really in love with any of them.

Here are some funky options:

The army I'd bring if GenCon were tomorrow and I were going:
220 TKN
90 grubsx3
180 Q9

If you swap Q9 out for Nilfheim or Zelrig, it resembles your army from last year a little.

One that occurred to me just yesterday:

150 Q10
330 Minionsx3

You can go for Altaga or Raelin on day 2, depending on whether you think the Minions or Q10 need the boost more.

Messenger June 5th, 2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 840722)
150 Q10
330 Minionsx3

You can go for Altaga or Raelin on day 2, depending on whether you think the Minions or Q10 need the boost more.

I like it. I'd just be a little concerned about rats. I don't think the looming threat of Repulsors will completely nix the competitive rat builds (though I could be wrong). Q9 is your only real rat counter, although he is a very good one. Minions hate rats. There's nothing worse than having your hero-killers stuck killing 10pt figures to ruin your day.

killercactus June 5th, 2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messenger (Post 840753)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 840722)
150 Q10
330 Minionsx3

I like it. I'd just be a little concerned about rats. I don't think the looming threat of Repulsors will completely nix the competitive rat builds (though I could be wrong). Q9 is your only real rat counter, although he is a very good one. Minions hate rats. There's nothing worse than having your hero-killers stuck killing 10pt figures to ruin your day.

If I were going, I would've played Uniques + Reavers (or possibly Protectors + Reavers). I don't think Reavers are dead at all. Of the dominant Soulborgs in this game, they're the least affected by Repulsors. I wanted to play (and would like to see someone play):

Q10 - 150
Krav - 250
Kaemon Awa - 370
Deathreavers x3 - 490
(Skull - Raelin, Shield - AE, Symbol - Raelin+Zetacron+Isamu or even Cyprien)

But, Brownsfan82, of those 5 choices, I'd play army 5 as well. I don't think you need to fear Rats (Q9 should be enough to scrub them off of the Minions) near as much as you need to fear Braxas. I think she will be more popular in the coming months (and if she isn't, she should be), and she puts a hurt on the Minions and Krav. Still though, there aren't really a ton of bad matchups outside of that - the army is pretty versatile.