Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

JC McMinis February 21st, 2013 05:26 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I will be posting my 1st draft later tonight

Balantai February 21st, 2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1768695)
I will be posting my 1st draft later tonight

Looking forward to it.

Taeblewalker February 21st, 2013 05:30 PM

Great work on Katniss! I've been away for a long time, but I will try to offer some constructive feedback.

Balantai February 21st, 2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1768701)
Great work on Katniss! I've been away for a long time, but I will try to offer some constructive feedback.

It's always great to get your feedback, Taeblewalker. I hope you stick around!

JC McMinis February 21st, 2013 10:40 PM

1st Draft

Katniss Everdeen
:aquilla:

Human
Unique Hero
Hunter
Precise (Valiant)
Medium 5

Life 5
Move 6
Range 8
Attack 3
Defense 3

Hunter's Precision
When Katniss Everdeen attacks a non adjacent figure, each skull rolled counts as one additional hit.

Up A Tree (needs a better name)
If Katniss Everdeen is adjacent to an evergreen tree, she rolls an additional attack and defense die.

Nature's Healing.
After revealing an Order Marker and instead of taking a turn with Katniss Everdeen, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card.

JC McMinis February 21st, 2013 10:53 PM

Also here is the mini rebased.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps19cfd26f.jpg

I found the mini at Toys R Us for $1.98. It comes in a boxes and you cannot see what mini it is. I got lucky and got Katniss on the 1st draw.

McHotcakes February 22nd, 2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1768967)
Up A TreeNature's Vantage Point
If Katniss Everdeen is adjacent to an evergreen tree, she rolls an may roll 1 additional attack die and 1 additional defense die.

Nature's Healing. Survivalist
After revealing an Order Marker and instead of taking a turn with Katniss Everdeen, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card.

Just some ideas on name and wording changes.

mac122 February 22nd, 2013 01:30 AM

Nice first draft. I was hoping for something with a little more stealth, but we can work with this.

I think giving up an entire turn to remove a single wound doesn't quite work. She's hit and about dead. I don't picture her staying put to heal. I think she would try to get out of harm's way. "After moving and instead of attacking..." would be better.

Hunter's Precision is really too powerful. Start with 3 attack dice, add 1 if she has height or is adjacent to a tree, or add 2 if she is adjacent to a tree on height. That's a potential for a 10 skull roll from a single shot. Make it a special attack or drop her base attack to 1 to reign in the power. :2cents:

McHotcakes February 22nd, 2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1769115)
Nice first draft. I was hoping for something with a little more stealth, but we can work with this.

I think giving up an entire turn to remove a single wound doesn't quite work. She's hit and about dead. I don't picture her staying put to heal. I think she would try to get out of harm's way. "After moving and instead of attacking..." would be better.

Hunter's Precision is really too powerful. Start with 3 attack dice, add 1 if she has height or is adjacent to a tree, or add 2 if she is adjacent to a tree on height. That's a potential for a 10 skull roll from a single shot. Make it a special attack or drop her base attack to 1 to reign in the power. :2cents:

^ I agree with this.

Balantai February 22nd, 2013 02:41 PM

I'm with Mac and McHotcakes. She's an offensive powerhouse at range. A potential for 10 Atk dice is way too high for her, IMO. Here are my suggestions:
  • Higher life to represent her uncanny survivability. I could see 7.
  • I'd like to reduce her attack to 2. In hand to hand combat, she struggles. (Or so I understand)
  • I'd like to see 'Up A Tree' represent her ability to hide. What if it were changed to not allow her to be attacked by a non-adjacent figure when adjacet to a tree?
  • Nature's Healing doesn't seem worth it. Sacraficing a turn to heal one wound isn't a great trade for her and her stats. I'd rather incorporate this theme into her high life.
  • Since her archery is so advanced, what about making Hunter's Precision a Special Attack? It will help to keep her from becoming overpowered with attack value buffs and will help her bypass a bunch of defenses.

mac122 February 22nd, 2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1769310)
I'm with Mac and McHotcakes. She's an offensive powerhouse at range. A potential for 10 Atk dice is way too high for her, IMO. Here are my suggestions:
  • Higher life to represent her uncanny survivability. I could see 7.
  • I'd like to reduce her attack to 2. In hand to hand combat, she struggles. (Or so I understand)
  • I'd like to see 'Up A Tree' represent her ability to hide. What if it were changed to not allow her to be attacked by a non-adjacent figure when adjacet to a tree?
  • Nature's Healing doesn't seem worth it. Sacraficing a turn to heal one wound isn't a great trade for her and her stats. I'd rather incorporate this theme into her high life.
  • Since her archery is so advanced, what about making Hunter's Precision a Special Attack? It will help to keep her from becoming overpowered with attack value buffs and will help her bypass a bunch of defenses.

Good suggestions, Balantai.
UP A TREE
Katniss Everdeen may not be targeted for an attack from a non-adjacent figure while she is adjacent to a Jungle piece or Evergreen tree.

Confred February 22nd, 2013 06:02 PM

EVERGREEN HIDE
When moving, enemy figures subtract 2 from their move if they end this move adjacent to Katniss. When attacking Katniss, enemy figures subtract 2 from their range. If Katniss is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree, enemy figures subtract 4 from their range and move instead.
-- Edit:
Thinking about Katniss as a character more, I think about the story of Hunger Games. With this figure, I think people will expect to relive the experience of the Hunger Games through playing with her.
She is the one being hunted. She's not picking off everybody alphastyle one by one. She is sneaking, at times not attacking even when she has the chance, hiding, fretting, recovering. She isn't a beast, she has close calls and avoids too much conflict.

From this, it would be thematic for her to have some instead of attacking power(s):
STEALTH TRACKING
While moving, Katniss may add 2 to her Move value. If she does, she cannot attack this turn or be attacked by the figure that takes the next turn this round.
~

While I agree with your sentiment Balantai, I think having her Life be too high would encourage people to play her not like her. But she can have some survivability built into her natural Life 3 body. Life 5 is good, other powers withstanding.
With that said, she does utilize healing components throughout her battle. The Lead Design has her with such a power. Perhaps we can still try that and also tie in some story elements:
SPONSORED HEALING
After revealing an order marker and instead of taking a turn with any figure, you may remove up to 2 wounds from this card.
~Sponsors, spectators to the games are constantly interfering. In the HS Games, we could imagine even those order markers are gifts to be given or taken away.
She doesn't heal in the thick of battle. Truthfully, the healing times are suspenseful because she is vulnerable. Vulnerability = being caught without OM.
SPONSORED HEALING
Before taking a turn, you may remove an unrevealed order marker from an Army Card you control. If you do, remove 2 wounds from this card. If you remove the order marker for this turn, end this turn.