Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Heroscape Strategy Articles (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How do you know which units are late game? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=41824)

beholderthedm June 29th, 2012 10:27 AM

How do you know which units are late game?

So I was just reading the book of Kaemon Awa - I'm a newb and I just won him on ebay. Everyone says he's best used late game. I think I read the same thing about Marro warriors.

I'm wondering if there's any way to recognize which units are for which part of the game.

I get that some guys are glyph grabbers so they probably get activated early. But what makes a squad or hero a late game choice?

awesomeunleashed June 29th, 2012 10:35 AM

Re: How do you know which units are late game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beholderthedm (Post 1634745)
So I was just reading the book of Kaemon Awa - I'm a newb and I just won him on ebay. Everyone says he's best used late game. I think I read the same thing about Marro warriors.

I'm wondering if there's any way to recognize which units are for which part of the game.

I get that some guys are glyph grabbers so they probably get activated early. But what makes a squad or hero a late game choice?

I'd say the ability to lay down the hurt, reliably and quickly, as well as a relatively low cost and survivability that is not good enough to stand up to heavy fire but is able to take a few hits. Reliability is pretty key-longshot abilities and Deathwalker-like defense/life aren't great. :2cents:

Bothi June 29th, 2012 10:35 AM

Use the search and look for "What's in an order marker?"

It explains the different categories of strengths and weaknesses of each unit, and how or when to use them. "Late game" just means they sit back and wait until most of your units are dead, then finishes off the enemy. Welcome to the site!

EDIT: Ninja'd

Sheep June 29th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bothi (Post 1634754)
Use the search and look for "What's in an order marker?"

It explains the different categories of strengths and weaknesses of each unit, and how or when to use them. "Late game" just means they sit back and wait until most of your units are dead, then finishes off the enemy. Welcome to the site!

EDIT: Ninja'd

The thread Bothi is this: What's in an Order Marker?

Hogg June 29th, 2012 12:52 PM

I find that self-contained units work well later in the game. By that I mean units like Kaemon or Jotun who are strong by themselves and don't have a lot of synergy that would compel you to use them earlier. Kaemon can spend a long time sitting in reserve without reducing the effectiveness of the rest of your army.

beholderthedm June 29th, 2012 04:37 PM

Thanks for the thread reference - gonna post it here so if someone searches the way I did and can't find 'what's in an order marker' but happens to find this thread...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexik
Cleanup
These are usually single-based, ranged heroes that you just sit in the back and hope your opponent simply doesn’t notice them, or isn’t able to reach them until very late in the game. They don’t have enough attacks to be useful early on because they’d get taken out by enemy squads, but late in the game, they’re able to pick apart the survivors with alarming alacrity. They play very much like Sharks, but the key is just to wait until later on to use them.

Examples: Kaemon Awa, Marro Warriors, Syvarris, Major Q10, Sonlen, Guilty McCreech, Isamu, Sahuagin Raider, Greater Ice Elemental, Heirloom, Mika Connour, Mind Flayer Mastermind, Master of the Hunt, Eltahale, Evar Scarcarver, Tagawa Samurai, Zetacron, Zettian Guards, , Concan in a Valiant 4th army, Charos (in valiant army), Pelloth, Othkurik, Feral Troll, Sgt. Drake Alexander (both), Sir Dupuis, Iskra Esenwein (post or sans-Rechets)
Cleanup units that also bond: Me-Burq-Sa, Tornak, Arkmer, Jorhdawn, Brave Arrow

Uses: Depending on points, they can work well in nearly any army. Just try to keep them alive until it's their time to shine. Defenders and/or a sturdy Bread and Butter force are a plus.

So what makes Kaemon and marro warriors cleanup is that they can't kill guys fast enough or survive long enough in the thick of the battle early and mid-game? Seems like I must be oversimplifying but I'm not quite sure how.

vegietarian18 June 29th, 2012 05:22 PM

My personal thoughts of a late game figure are Cheerleaders that don't need LOS to be helpful. Figures like Warden 816, Charos in a valiant army, Khousmet and DKs, Su-Bak-Na and Nagrubs, Atlaga post-witherwood, etc. all work well in the late game once the figures that they have boosted fall.

MegaSilver June 29th, 2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegietarian18 (Post 1634975)
My personal thoughts of a late game figure are Cheerleaders that don't need LOS to be helpful. Figures like Warden 816, Charos in a valiant army, Khousmet and DKs, Su-Bak-Na and Nagrubs, Atlaga post-witherwood, etc. all work well in the late game once the figures that they have boosted fall.

That's just a sub group of the Clean Up figures.

Fedex worker June 29th, 2012 10:41 PM

A great late game figure is Tyrian, as he can dish out a lot of hurt but will get overwhelmed if the enemy army is still at full strength. This is how I use late game units, they will get killed easily by a whole army but can do enough damage to clean up the remains of one.

MegaSilver June 29th, 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex worker (Post 1635138)
A great late game figure is Tyrian, as he can dish out a lot of hurt but will get overwhelmed if the enemy army is still at full strength. This is how I use late game units, they will get killed easily by a whole army but can do enough damage to clean up the remains of one.

Incorrect, he is a poor late game figure. He's too weak.

He is meant to be used early and kill the opponent's key figure, such as Raelin, before he dies.

MegaSilver, noting that ZB made the same error while playtesting him.

Fedex worker June 29th, 2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1635142)
Quote:

He is meant to be used early and kill the opponent's key figure, such as Raelin, before he dies.

Huh. I find he is perfect to take out enemy fillers (March, Isamu, not Guilty though;)) or a few squad figures. But I guess using him as an assassin would work great too!

MegaSilver June 29th, 2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex worker (Post 1635144)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1635142)
Quote:

Huh. I find he is perfect to take out enemy fillers (March, Isamu, not Guilty though;)) or a few squad figures. But I guess using him as an assassin would work great too!

True. I guess if they don't have a key figure, then he should do OK as a clean up figure.

MegaSilver, who notices he has changed from poor to OK. :lol: