Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of The Doctor (11th) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56121)

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 12:31 AM

The Book of The Doctor (11th)

The Book of The Doctor (11th)

C3G TITAN SUPER SECRET EXCLUSIVE 68
GERONIMO!

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...ho11_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...Who11_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a painted WarLord Miniatures figure from the Fifth, Eleventh & Twelfth Doctors set.
Its model name is Eleventh Doctor.

The figure used for this unit is a painted Gale Force 9 figure from the Time of the Daleks Board Game.
Its model name is Eleventh Doctor.

Painting Tutorial

The Doctor requires The Glyph of Sonic Screwdriver.

Character Bio - The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. After stealing a dilapidated time machine known as the TARDIS, the Doctor fled Gallifrey and has dedicated himself to a life of adventure and fighting injustice throughout all of time and space.

Time Lords are capable of a biological process known as Regeneration. When faced with mortal injuries, every cell in their body will transform, avoiding death but changing their appearance and personality.

After crash landing in the yard of young Amelia Pond, the Doctor, now in his eleventh incarnation, was overzealous to get back to his life of reckless adventure. However, his past was beginning to catch up to him. In this incarnation, the Doctor faced the results of his own hubris as he went head-to-head with the Silence, a cult-like organization created by his own actions. Barely escaping through his quick wit and a little time trickery, this Doctor's life ended through old age after spending centuries defending the backwater town of Christmas from alien invasion.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Crossover Symbol: The Crossover Symbol next to the Doctor's secret identity indicates that he is draftable into the same army with other Doctor cards. See C3G's Secret Identity Rules.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:
  • N/A
Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • The Doctor's Fast-Talking special power does not affect Event Heroes.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • The Doctor is a bit of an attention hog, and loves both the "1" OM and the "X" OM on his card. Be wary about playing him with other designs that want those OMs.
  • Fast Talking is especially effective when paired with units that control Engagement conditions. Units that can pull people into Engagement like Wonder Woman (I) and units that can keep people into Engagement like Blob are great picks with the Doctor.
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-Card Updates:
3 March 2021 - Added Crossover Symbol

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 12:33 AM

Re: The Book of The Doctor (11th)

NAME = THE DOCTOR (Crossover Symbol)

SPECIES = GALLIFREYAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = WANDERER
PERSONALITY = QUIRKY

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 6

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3

POINTS = 160

SONIC SCREWDRIVER
Start the game with the Glyph of Sonic Screwdriver on this card. The Doctor cannot lose this Glyph by receiving wounds unless he is destroyed.

WIBBLY-WOBBLY TIMEY-WIMEY
After all Order Markers have been placed and before rolling for initiative, you may reveal an “X” Order Marker on this card. If you do, for the remainder of the round, all players on their turns must reveal their highest numbered unrevealed Order Marker and take a turn with that Army Card instead of revealing Order Markers and taking turns normally. Opponents cannot reveal more than one of the same numbered Order Marker this round.

FAST-TALKING
When an opponent reveals a numbered Order Marker on an Army Card they control, if there is a revealed numbered Order Marker on the Doctor’s Army Card, you may choose a Common or Unique figure engaged with the Doctor. For the rest of that player’s turn or until that figure leaves engagement with the Doctor, it cannot attack and all special powers on its Army Card are negated.

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 12:34 AM

Art stuff, baby

Soundwarp SG-1 September 10th, 2019 12:52 AM

Looks fine to me.

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 12:55 AM

My main worry is just him being an obnoxious tacky unit to play against.

Soundwarp SG-1 September 10th, 2019 01:12 AM

He is going to be a bit of a stally annoyance type unit. But that's kinda thematic here and there are like way worse ones out there already, so I don't think it's an issue.

Oh one question, is there a reason the middle power triggers before Initiative? Seems like having it trigger after would allow for more tactical usage where you can risk 1st OMs on mostly dead dudes knowing you can shuffle the turn order if you lose initiative and the like. That would give him a bit more of a benefit to your team, as otherwise the power doesn't do much but maybe screw up Cap armies sometimes and such, which would help get him away from just being a stall design.

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 01:20 AM

I just copied what the Temporal Inversion spell did. I'm fine with deviating from it, but that's why it is like it is.

Soundwarp SG-1 September 10th, 2019 01:30 AM

Ah, ok. Yeah, I honestly had no idea that was a thing.

A3n September 10th, 2019 02:00 AM

Did you settle on how the Doctor's will interact with each other? Is there an intent for a regeneration?

SONIC SCREWDRIVER
:up:

First of all, Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey was Doctor 10 (David Tennant)'s thing. Did Matt Smith also say it? I don't recall that if he did. Not sure how useful this power really is. I would try to reword it to make it so that the Doctor can take a turn instead of the figure you reveal an OM on (whilst still keeping the reversed order thing in effect). That would make the power more useful & give the impression here that time is out of whack for all but the Doctor.

Maybe just adding the clause on the end would be enough. Like...
Quote:

After all Order Markers have been placed and before rolling for initiative, you may reveal an “X” order marker on this card. If you do, for the remainder of the round, all players on their turns must reveal their highest numbered unrevealed Order Marker and take a turn with that Army Card instead of revealing Order Markers and taking turns normally. Opponents cannot reveal more than one of the same numbered Order Marker this round. After you reveal an Order Marker on an Army Card you control, instead of taking a turn with that figure you may take a turn with the Doctor.

FAST-TALKING
I don't remember the rules around this but is the opponent's figure able to target another figure after this power blocks his original targeted figure? And if so does this power trigger again?

GLYPH OF SONIC SCREWDRIVER
:up: Just some thoughts though. River Song & Sarah Jane Smith were also proficient with using the sonic Screwdriver is there thoughts around giving them a proficiency boost as well?

tcglkn September 10th, 2019 02:35 AM

11th is my favorite Doctor. Love this design.

MrNobody September 10th, 2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3n (Post 2312743)
Did you settle on how the Doctor's will interact with each other? Is there an intent for a regeneration?

After some debate, we decided ditching regeneration was probably the best move. Each Doctor will be basically a standalone unit with the same name, with the potential for a future design like the Moment that allows you to play multiple Doctors at once.

Quote:

Ten said it I believe twice in his era, while Eleven said it probably close to 20 times. It was actually a thing that the fandom complained Eleven said it so much that the writers of the show were forced to tone it down. Hence, Twelve almost never said it.

Then again this is like the 3rd time somebody has asked me this, so it’s clear the original iconic use of the phrase is what people think of. Maybe the power needs a rename then? I don’t really think a W-W T-W would be the best fit on a Tenth Doctor card though, so I don’t feel like Eleven is “stealing” a power name that would otherwise be used elsewhere. If the name is getting used at all, it’s probably getting used here.

I feel like the power will be a lot more useful than most are giving it credit for here. You can decide when time will go backwards and plan out your OMs accordingly, while your opponent has to guess if their 1 OM will basically turn into a 3 OM and vice versa.

That being said, I don’t think the idea of the Doctor jumping in quickly and stealing someone else’s turn is unthematic at all. I just don’t think there’s much reason to take many turns with him in this current version.

Quote:

FAST-TALKING
F-T takes place at the start of the opponent’s turn, and lasts that whole turn. So it’s not like a figure is going to target the Doctor then lose that target, they’ll just never be able to target him in the first place.

Quote:

GLYPH OF SONIC SCREWDRIVER
I think rather than specifically calling out any number of non-Gallifreyans who are shown to be able to use the Sonic Screwdriver, it makes sense to just include a line on those characters’ cards when it comes up.

Also, thanks Tickle!

IAmBatman September 10th, 2019 08:40 AM

I like Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey being here. If it's not going to be on Tenth's card, no reason it can't be here. And it fits the power theme in a way that Geronimo wouldn't.

Question on the screwdriver: Is it a Gallifreyen tech or is it a Doctor invention? My impression is that it's the latter, in which case I'm not sure anyone from Gallifrey would necessarily be better at using a sonic screwdriver than, say, Donna Noble. If my impression is correct, I'd suggest adding the +10 boost to the power that grants the screwdriver so that each Doctor gets it rather than each Gallifreyen.