Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   General (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Importance of the Nobel Peace Prize (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27212)

jschild October 10th, 2009 05:03 PM

Re: The Importance of the Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933380)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted_Danson (Post 933378)
Quote:

I can name 3 persons of color who have won the Nobel Peace Prize off the top of my head that were well deserving of the award....
Oh man...

You know what the "I know 3 black people" defense usually sums up, right?

I'm wasn't commenting on the nobel prize win for veiled racism, I was commenting on people complaining about Obama in general.

What are you saying there Ted? I know alot more than 3 black people...so if you were again insinuating that i am a racist then again you are being ignorant.

I think he was (perhaps clumsily) pointing out the common defense of "I know X people" but I'm against X." principle.

IE, Now I like gay people, I have gay friends, but I'm against gay marriage. Usually spoken by the whitest of white people who probably have zero gay friends.

This however, is not a hard and fast rule.

Ted_Danson October 10th, 2009 05:05 PM

I saw a joke there, and I made it, it really made me laugh out loud.

So, I'm juvenile, so are you for wasting a Saturday afternoon arguing with a nerd for S 'n G.

I'll tell you what though, this was some real fun, seriously.

god bless you Onacara, you are my most favorite, least favorite person.

You never let me down.

I hate to go, but I'm off to work.

See you next Tuesday!

Rew October 10th, 2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933375)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rew (Post 933372)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933360)
Your comment shows unveiled stupidity.

Care to elaborate? Name calling doesn't show any more intelligence.

If I called him Stupid that would be name calling...what I said was he was showing stupidity.

Labeling someone a racist who is not is in and of itself racist. (I didn't call him that either)

I can name 3 persons of color who have won the Nobel Peace Prize off the top of my head that were well deserving of the award....Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu. If you said that they were undeserving then maybe you could be contrude as a racist with some merit behind it but disliking Obama or thinking he does not deserve the award has nothing to do with the color of his skin. If Hilary Clinton was the President and she won under the same pretenses then what argument would he have?

This would be like discounting a black persons dislike of Goerge Bush because he is white.

That's kind of splitting hairs isn't it? "I didn't call you stupid, just what you were saying, doing, acting like was stupid." Maybe then we could say, "Oh, I wasn't calling that person racist, just their attitudes were showing racism." Same thing?

I firmly disagree that if someone calls someone else a racist that it doesn't make the person making those accusations racist. The accuser could be very misguided and way off base with their accusations but it doesn't make them any more or less racist than the person they are making these comments about.

That being said, slander is bad in all forms it takes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933375)
... disliking Obama or thinking he does not deserve the award has nothing to do with the color of his skin.

I fully agree with this. To me, and I hope I am right, disliking Obama seems much more to do with politics in general and that evil hated liberal-ness. :) Not thinking he deserves the award is another personal opinion. Mine is that it is premature, but I think Obama is humbled, and I am thrilled to have our head of state being looked at in such terms.

I do fully admit that I get a chuckle about the "race card" being played so often right now. I liken it to how "liberal" was painted as a dirty word. It will be ironically funny, and tragic, when this may come fully looped up together: "Oh my, he just said he hates liberals, I bet he is racist." The tragedy here is the person doesn't hate liberals, because they don't even know what they are, and they won't be racist either. The people saying these things won't be "stupid" they will be "ignorant" which is far worse and tragic for America. All politicians love an ignorant populace though. Far easier to control.

As I read Ted Danson he seems more tired of the general Obama hate than anything else, and does see race as large motivating factor in that hate, though he knows it isn't the only reason. He also states he doesn't believe everyone who dislikes Obama is racist. That doesn't seem so far different from your stance, Onacara, as to be called stupid? What am I missing?

I agree with those general statements except for maybe emphasis (more hair splitting). Race is probably a larger motivational factor for some's dislike of Obama, than I am comfortable with, in the makeup of America today. I do however personally believe that the majority of the dislike of Obama is due to politics.

I think another big factor is Obama is such a celebrity and gets so much attention. How annoying that must be if you dislike him and his politics!

Onacara October 10th, 2009 05:51 PM

Rew...your "spliting hairs" analogy is a bit off.

Stupid and racist are not quite in the same boat...(although I would say that the majority of racism is a result of stupidity :wink: )

Rew October 10th, 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933394)

Stupid and racist are not quite in the same boat...(although I would say that the majority of racism is a result of stupidity :wink: )

:)

braveheart101 October 11th, 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschild (Post 933376)
Quote:

Originally Posted by braveheart101 (Post 933370)
I think him getting the prize was way out of line, but what I really want to know is why he accepted it?

Because that is what you do when given an award.

Then you accept it exactly as he did, saying he did not feel like he deserved to be placed in the realm as the previous winners. Then you donate all the money to charity.

Well of course you accept it, but If I were in the same position as him, which I am not, I would use the money to help pay off the deficit (even though by now, $1.4 million dollars wouldn't make a dent in it). And I think if he had turned it down, it would have given him the appearance of humbleness, which would have helped the democrat party a lot.

jschild October 11th, 2009 08:22 PM

Except the money would have done nothing for the debt. It is better served going to charity.

And the Democrat party isn't hurting. Their ratings are superior to the Republicans. Not that either group is doing exactly hot right now.

Einar's puppy October 11th, 2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara (Post 933394)

My mama always says that stupid is as stupid does.