Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Doctor Psycho (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=60054)

IAmBatman November 17th, 2021 01:23 PM

The Book of Doctor Psycho

The Book of Doctor Psycho

C3G DC WAVE 47
TRINITY

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...ycho_comic.png
Comic PDF

http://heroscapers.com/c3g/released/...sycho_mini.png
Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Superman Wonder Woman set.
Its model number and name are #039/Doctor Psycho.

Character Bio - A powerful telepath with diminutive size, Edgar Cizko hates all women and Wonder Woman most of all!

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • N/A
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:
  • N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips--Heroscapers Community Contributions-
  • Initial playtest: (IAmBatman)
  • Second playtest: (Arch-vile)
  • Third playtest: (Ericth74)
  • Art: Comic, Figure, Background
  • Card Art by Soundwarp

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - Breathing

NAME = DOCTOR PSYCHO
SECRET IDENTITY = EDGAR CIZKO

SPECIES = METAHUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = TELEPATH
PERSONALITY = INSANE
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL 3

LIFE = 4
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 3
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 175

AMAZON ANTAGONISM

At the start of the game, if there is another Antagonist in your army or an Amazon in any player's army, Doctor Psycho has the class of Antagonist in addition to what is listed on this card. Doctor Psycho cannot leave engagement with an Amazon and when he attacks an Amazon, add 1 to his Attack number.

NIGHTMARE PROJECTION
Enemy figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Doctor Psycho that do not have the Mental Shield special power do not have clear sight on any figures friendly to them, cannot roll for leaving engagement attacks against Doctor Psycho, and roll 1 fewer defense die for each revealed Order Marker on this card when attacked by Doctor Psycho.

REACTIVE MIND CONTROL 10
If Doctor Psycho is targeted and attacked by an opponent's figure that does not have the Mental Shield special power, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 10 or higher, Doctor Psycho takes no damage and the opponent's turn immediately ends. Take temporary control of the attacking figure. Move the attacking figure up to 4 spaces then return control of the figure to the player who controlled it before the Reactive Mind Control. Figures moved with this special power will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Mini Picture
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...2/IMG_1260.jpg
Comic Picture
https://cdn.ome.lt/RMps4RB2GoE3uNhJx...otos/oito1.jpg
Background
https://cdn5.vectorstock.com/i/1000x...r-22277129.jpg

tcglkn November 17th, 2021 05:56 PM

Instead of another Players' Army I'd just say opponent's. Weird that he becomes antagonistic of teammate's Amazons.

IAmBatman November 17th, 2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcglkn (Post 2489972)
Instead of another Players' Army I'd just say opponent's. Weird that he becomes antagonistic of teammate's Amazons.

I mean, he's a grade A misogynist. He totally would.

IAmBatman November 18th, 2021 07:55 PM

COMPETITIVE REVIEW BOARD CHECKLIST
Spoiler Alert!

CONSISTENCY CHECKLIST (SHORT FORM)
Spoiler Alert!

IAmBatman November 18th, 2021 07:56 PM

I propose we move to Initial Playtesting

Arch-vile November 18th, 2021 08:05 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - VOTE for Initial Playtesting

yea

tcglkn November 18th, 2021 08:12 PM

Yea

Soundwarp SG-1 November 18th, 2021 11:24 PM

yar

Tornado November 19th, 2021 06:49 AM

Yea

IAmBatman November 19th, 2021 08:28 AM

This passes. Thanks, peeps.

Tornado November 19th, 2021 09:00 AM

Why is he OK with an Amazon in his army?
What is the story behind the Nightmares?
Does he create illusions?
May use that one if I ever get to the Terror Bears.

IAmBatman November 19th, 2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2490207)
Why is he OK with an Amazon in his army?

He's not. It makes him Antagonistic. He's also likely not in charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2490207)
What is the story behind the Nightmares?
Does he create illusions?
May use that one if I ever get to the Terror Bears.

Yeah, he creates illusions.

Soundwarp SG-1 November 19th, 2021 02:04 PM

Its "Amazon in another players army" so right now he can hang with Wonder Woman in the same army without being an Antagonist. (Not that theres a particular reason to want them in the same army or that you'd care that he was an Antagonist in that army)

MrNobody November 19th, 2021 02:07 PM

I think in C3G, if two units are in the same army, you just kinda have to accept "this is a story where these characters are working together and will act accordingly."

IAmBatman November 19th, 2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 2490262)
Its "Amazon in another players army" so right now he can hang with Wonder Woman in the same army without being an Antagonist. (Not that theres a particular reason to want them in the same army or that you'd care that he was an Antagonist in that army)

Ah, yeah, doesn't matter mechanically either way. I thought I had it as Amazon in general, though. Thematically that makes more sense to me.

IAmBatman November 24th, 2021 05:31 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - Initial Playtesting

C3G STANDARD PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM
NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: DOCTOR PSYCHO
VERSION TESTED
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Ravaged Road
Units: Doctor Psycho (175), Lex Luthor (IJ) (185), Joker (IJ) (245), Reverse Flash (295) (900) vs Zatara (230), Doctor Fate (JL) (370), Zatanna (JL) (250), Healing Energy (x2) (40), Lightning Bolt (x2) (10) (900)
Spoiler Alert!

Units: Doctor Psycho (175), Gorilla Grodd (IJ) (285), Sinestro (IJ) (250), Silver Banshee (290) (1000) vs Batman (Outsiders) (220), Geo-Force (280), Katana (Outsiders) (150), Halo (190), Black Lightning (160) (1000)
Spoiler Alert!

Units: Doctor Psycho (175), Cheetah (Barbara) (275), Giganta (235), Lex Luthor (IJ) (185), Black Manta (230) (1100) vs Wonder Woman (JL) (310), Black Canary (JL) (220), Hawkwoman (260), Green Arrow (JL) (210), Atom (JL) (100) (1100)

Spoiler Alert!

UNIT SUMMARY: He has a potential to be positively nasty, but plenty of match ups are bad for him and he can fall pretty hard to a bad roll. I’m liking him as is. If he gets hot in public testing, I could see bumping the Reactive Mind Control roll a tad, but I like him where he’s at going to public testing.

IAmBatman November 24th, 2021 05:32 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - Initial Playtesting

I propose we move Doctor Psycho to public testing once I have an opening.

Dr. Jekyll November 24th, 2021 05:48 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - VOTE for Public Playtesting

Yea

Arch-vile November 24th, 2021 06:00 PM

yea, looking good!

tcglkn November 24th, 2021 06:12 PM

Yea

Ronin November 24th, 2021 07:12 PM

yea

IAmBatman November 24th, 2021 08:51 PM

This passes. Thanks.

Arch-vile November 28th, 2021 03:58 AM

A few wording edits:
Quote:

AMAZON ANTAGONISM
At the start of the game, if there is another Antagonist in your Army or an Amazon in any player's Army, Doctor Psycho has the Class of Antagonist in addition to what is listed on this card. Doctor Psycho cannot leave engagement with an Amazon and when he attacks an Amazon, add 1 to his Attack number.

IAmBatman November 28th, 2021 08:12 AM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - WAIT for Public Playtesting

Thanks! Updated.

Ronin November 30th, 2021 12:46 AM

"Army" and "Class" also don't need caps, while we're at it!

IAmBatman November 30th, 2021 07:25 AM

Yeah, I have a bad habit of over-capitalizing. Thanks! SP is updated.

Soundwarp SG-1 November 30th, 2021 09:35 PM

Better than having a habit of capsizing.

Arch-vile December 11th, 2021 07:42 PM

Re: The Book of Doctor Psycho - Public Playtesting

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: He didn’t go to evil medical school to be called Mr. Psycho

Army Test
Map: Custom
Units: Dr. Psycho (175), Lex Luthor, Solomon Grundy, Gorilla Grodd (1000) VS Alien Queen, Alien Drone x4 (1000)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Custom
Units: Dr. Psycho (175), Joker, Gorilla Grodd, Reverse-Flash (1000) VS Fan4 (1000)
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY: I like Psycho, he’s got a pretty unique play style. Nightmare Projection is less useful than it seems at first glance, as it does nothing against powers that affect figures you control - I had to throw out my first game which was against the Rogues because I misplayed that. Reactive Mind Control makes opponents want to just avoid him. But it’s also not reliable as the first game showed, and can be avoided as the second game showed.

Felt reasonably balanced as is. He’s definitely better against powers that grant synergy to friendly figures, but most of our library grants synergy to figures you control.

IAmBatman December 11th, 2021 07:53 PM

Yeah, it'd be cool if the friendly disruption were more disruptive, but not sure there's a clean way to do that, so I don't mind it being a lighter touch.

Thanks for the tests!

Ericth74 December 19th, 2021 08:03 PM

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: (Insert Name Here Please)

Version tested:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Elm Street - Custom Map
Units: Lex Luthor 185, Solomon Grundy 355, Gorilla Grood 285, Dr Psycho VS Fantastic Four
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Elm Street - Custom Map
Units: Deathstroke 285, Ravager(Grant) 185, Tattooed Man, Batroc the Leaper, Dr Psycho VS Wonder Woman 370, Wonder Girl 140, Arrowette, Amazon Warriors x3
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY: 175 feels right. Works well in IJL builds as well as other Antagonist builds. Probably fine in Insane builds too.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT: 5 attack with a range of 3 is great. 2nd power feels super limited which may be okay. His big power is his third power, Reactive Mind Control. It really reminded me of Spider-Man 250. If you miss that d20 roll he can go down fast, but if you are hitting it he can be a real pain to put down. No changes that I can think of.

Update: It appears that I played Dr Psychos 2nd power incorrectly. Ultimately it didn't effect the playtest, other than Dr Psycho would not of taken a wound from Wonder Woman 370 because of her rolling 1 less die on defense. I may have played the Warriors differently but they never blocked an attack by Dr Psycho so in the end it didn't matter. Game 1 the Fan4 were awful and would have been more awful with the defense reduction.

tcglkn December 19th, 2021 08:53 PM

Army2 is my favorite army.

Ericth74 December 19th, 2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcglkn (Post 2494135)
Army2 is my favorite army.

Everyone loves Army2, it's going to be all the rage!
Lol, I'll update that.

Arch-vile December 19th, 2021 09:10 PM

Missing Doctor Psycho in that second army as well. :p

Results look good! pre-yea if you're ready Bats

Ericth74 December 19th, 2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 2494137)
Missing Doctor Psycho in that second army as well. :p

Results look good! pre-yea if you're ready Bats

Sloppy on my part!

IAmBatman December 21st, 2021 12:57 AM

OK, I'm considering giving Nightmare Projection a tad more juice, but I wanted to get y'all's opinions on it. So if you can read this and care, please reply with your preferred option:

A. As is
Quote:

NIGHTMARE PROJECTION
Enemy figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Doctor Psycho that do not have the Mental Shield special power are not considered friendly to any other figures and roll 1 fewer defense die for each revealed Order Marker on this card when attacked by Doctor Psycho.
B. Basically make other figures get engaged with less messy wording.
Quote:

NIGHTMARE PROJECTION
Enemy figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Doctor Psycho that do not have the Mental Shield special power are not considered friendly to any other figures, cannot attack non-adjacent figures while they are adjacent to one or more figures, and roll 1 fewer defense die for each revealed Order Marker on this card when attacked by Doctor Psycho.
C. Let Doctor Psycho disengage.
Quote:

NIGHTMARE PROJECTION
Enemy figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Doctor Psycho that do not have the Mental Shield special power are not considered friendly to any other figures, cannot roll for leaving engagement attacks against Doctor Psycho, and roll 1 fewer defense die for each revealed Order Marker on this card when attacked by Doctor Psycho.

Lord Pyre December 21st, 2021 11:08 AM

Isn't B redundant since if they're not considered friendly to any other figures, they're engaging every figure they're adjacent to? Which means they also can't attack non-adjacent figure per the engagement rule? I feel like I'm missing something.

Otherwise I think C is best. Psycho definitely should be able to slip away from those he's affecting.

Ericth74 December 21st, 2021 11:16 AM

I like C as well

Arch-vile December 21st, 2021 11:21 AM

I’d probably nix the Friendly thing entirely (or add a bunch of FAQs) as it’s clearly a confusing interaction. :lol:

I agree that C is my favorite.

IAmBatman December 21st, 2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Pyre (Post 2494307)
Isn't B redundant since if they're not considered friendly to any other figures, they're engaging every figure they're adjacent to? Which means they also can't attack non-adjacent figure per the engagement rule? I feel like I'm missing something.

According to you and Tickle, yes. According to Soundwarp, no. But I felt like Soundwarp's explanation was the strongest.

You have to specifically be an opponent's figure to be in engagement, which this does not accomplish. I actually like B because it in some ways clarifies that interaction and lets us keep the Friendly bit without how to actually use it being as confusing. I like the Friendly bit, because it does affect a lot of powers, there's just a lot it also doesn't affect.

Lord Pyre December 21st, 2021 11:48 AM

Ah, found the convo on Discord, and looked in the rulebook. I didn't realize engagement keyed specifically on opponent's figures. :up:

IAmBatman December 21st, 2021 12:02 PM

Yeah, me either. Words are tricksy. Which is kind of why I like "C" because it makes it more obvious whether that's in play or not.

IAmBatman December 22nd, 2021 10:45 AM

OK. C takes it. I don't think that impacts things enough to require any more testing, but would love help writing the friendly part with more clarity. I'd like to still be able to shut off powers that specifically use "friendly" as the trigger.

IAmBatman December 22nd, 2021 10:48 AM

Does something like that work?

NIGHTMARE PROJECTION
Enemy figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Doctor Psycho that do not have the Mental Shield special power are not affected by and cannot use special powers that affect friendly figures, cannot roll for leaving engagement attacks against Doctor Psycho, and roll 1 fewer defense die for each revealed Order Marker on this card when attacked by Doctor Psycho.

Arch-vile December 22nd, 2021 11:07 AM

That does seem cleaner. :up:

Ericth74 December 22nd, 2021 11:39 AM

I like that better, much clearer for my peanut brain

IAmBatman December 22nd, 2021 11:45 AM

Sweet. SP updated. I propose we go to Final Editing.