Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Confred March 10th, 2013 09:45 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I'd prefer to have his "Kung-Fu" as one of the power glyphs. That way when you place it on his card you may say that line.

I also like Many Guns as a downloaded glyph. It could place multiple gun-themed treasure glyphs each with a special attack. He can use one individually or blow them all by using them consecutively and then discarding them

I think his normal attack should be 1

I think his general is clearly Vydar

mac122 March 11th, 2013 12:40 AM

Kung Fu and Lots of Guns as power glyphs are fine with me.

I don't agree with the base attack of 1. We're not creating "Mr. Anderson". I think we need to assume he has some ability, just not the specialized skills downloaded. With a base attack of 1, power glyphs like Whirlwind Assault would be useless for Neo, which would be quite the waste.

I'm willing to consider another general, but Vydar doesn't feel quite right. Neo, Morpheus, and the rest are risking their lives in a fight to save humanity - a pretty noble cause. That sort of self-sacrifice and nobility doesn't fit with Vydar.

Quote:

Neo
Jandar ???

Human
Unique Hero
Champion
Bold
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 7
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

INFORMATION DOWNLOAD
Begin the game with up to 6 Power Glyphs. At the start of each round, before placing Order Markers, remove any Power Glyphs on this card and place any 2 Power Glyphs on this card. After revealing a numbered Order Marker on this card, if Neo is unengagd, you may also reveal the "X" Order Marker on this card to place 1 additional Power Glyph on this card.

MANIPULATE THE MATRIX
When Neo rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, one shield will block all damage. When Neo rolls defense dice against an adjacent attacking figure, if he rolls at least one shield, the most wounds he may take for this attack is one.

This design could use the Power Glyphs designed for Thomas Hunter.
Additional Power Glyph possibilities:
Flying
Rejected by Death
Phantom Walk
Ninjutsu Barrage Special Attack
Freerunner (from the Ezio Auditore design)
Lots of Guns SA
Kung Fu SA

William099 March 11th, 2013 03:30 AM

So how many of those power glyphs have official scape wording already and how many would need to have wording created for them?

mac122 March 11th, 2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William099 (Post 1778296)
So how many of those power glyphs have official scape wording already and how many would need to have wording created for them?

We have 4 power glyphs that were created for Thomas Hunter that use wording from the official powers and one custom that has official-style wording. The list of potential additions has 5 official powers and 2 custom powers.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0da8d4aa.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7e3f4860.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0d7e4b4d.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps22c2eea5.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps77358214.jpg

Balantai March 11th, 2013 10:48 AM

If we create a Flying Power Glyph, wouldn't Thomas Hunter be able to fly? If so, maybe we should try to steer clear of powers that don't make sense for both Neo and Thomas. Maybe stick with power sets that can be learned.

mac122 March 11th, 2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1778352)
If we create a Flying Power Glyph, wouldn't Thomas Hunter be able to fly? If so, maybe we should try to steer clear of powers that don't make sense for both Neo and Thomas. Maybe stick with power sets that can be learned.

That's a good point. I'd prefer to do the pre-flying Neo, anyway.

Fi Skirata March 11th, 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1778273)
Kung Fu and Lots of Guns as power glyphs are fine with me.

I don't agree with the base attack of 1. We're not creating "Mr. Anderson". I think we need to assume he has some ability, just not the specialized skills downloaded. With a base attack of 1, power glyphs like Whirlwind Assault would be useless for Neo, which would be quite the waste.

I'm willing to consider another general, but Vydar doesn't feel quite right. Neo, Morpheus, and the rest are risking their lives in a fight to save humanity - a pretty noble cause. That sort of self-sacrifice and nobility doesn't fit with Vydar.

Quote:

Neo
Jandar ???

Human
Unique Hero
Champion
Bold
Medium 5

Life 4
Move 6
Range 7
Attack 3
Defense 4
Points ???

INFORMATION DOWNLOAD
Begin the game with up to 6 Power Glyphs. At the start of each round, before placing Order Markers, remove any Power Glyphs on this card and place any 2 Power Glyphs on this card. After revealing a numbered Order Marker on this card, if Neo is unengagd, you may also reveal the "X" Order Marker on this card to place 1 additional Power Glyph on this card.

MANIPULATE THE MATRIX
When Neo rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, one shield will block all damage. When Neo rolls defense dice against an adjacent attacking figure, if he rolls at least one shield, the most wounds he may take for this attack is one.

This design could use the Power Glyphs designed for Thomas Hunter.
Additional Power Glyph possibilities:
Flying
Rejected by Death
Phantom Walk
Ninjutsu Barrage Special Attack
Freerunner (from the Ezio Auditore design)
Lots of Guns SA
Kung Fu SA

Honestly, that draft looks pretty good without the glyphs. The only exception would be adding one of the two SAs, of which I think Kung Fu would be more 'fun'. I can see him using four of Thomas Hunter's glyphs (with the exception being Filed General, which is a bit of a stretch) and maybe it could be kept at that. I could see a Phantom Walk glyph being created, as that shouldn't cause an issue with Thomas.

I've only seen the first Matrix, so I'm not sure about the flying, but what about a Stealth Leap instead? It could allow him to move less than his normal move (say 3 spaces) but move up or down 8-10 hexes without the movement cost (kinda like Spider-Man's Web Swing power). This would also make the Freerunner and Flying powers listed above unneeded.

Confred March 11th, 2013 12:56 PM

normal attack 1 was a typo. I meant that I prefer his base RANGE to be 1.

How about as a compromise to flying be Leap-variant. He does learn how to leap impossibly long distances. It was one of the more memorable scenes and was done more than once in the first movie, and others.

Balantai March 11th, 2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1778415)

How about as a compromise to flying be Leap-variant. He does learn how to leap impossibly long distances. It was one of the more memorable scenes and was done more than once in the first movie, and others.

I think it needs to be limited to things a normal person could be taught. I couldn't be taught to leap impossibly long distances. If we want to have a leap power, it needs to go directly onto Neo's card, IMO.

mac122 March 11th, 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1778416)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1778415)

I think it needs to be limited to things a normal person could be taught. I couldn't be taught to leap impossibly long distances. If we want to have a leap power, it needs to go directly onto Neo's card, IMO.

I guess I can see making him melee as a base. I'd prefer him to at least have a pistol for the base, though.

Freerunning is something that can be taught and wouldn't be broken on a figure like Thomas Hunter. Not so sure about a Leap, though. It would have to go on the card, but I'm not sure it's that important to the character. I really like the sort of blank canvas of the design that let's you customize Neo for the situation.

I'm also reconsidering the Lots of Guns as an SA on a power glyph. That really blurs the lines between Power and Treasure Glyphs. IIRC, Neo loaded up on the guns before he entered the Matrix. Once there, he could learn new abilities, like Trinity learning to fly a helicopter, but couldn't be given more weapons. I'm thinking that Lots of Guns should be a modifier to a base attack - this figure can use its normal attack up to X times each turn - then give Neo a decent base attack and range he can use to shoot up the place.

Edit: I could also see starting each round with one power glyph with the chance to add another with the X marker during the round.

Confred March 11th, 2013 01:43 PM

With regards to Leap-Variant I was thinking of distance and ignoring fall damage, not the classic jumping 25 stories leap.

Shaolin Monks originated the leap power and they learned it through training ;)
Free running is learnable.

With regards to Many Guns and other weapons/tools for that matter, They downloaded such items all the time. To keep the Download special power streamlined, keep it at powers only.
But include powers that add treasure glyphs.

Or have it be scenario specific. He didn't Many Gun through the movie, any of them. His Many Guns aren't like Spawn's Cape.

Edit: Simple Answer: Have Many Guns be a Special Attack special power gained via Download.

I do like the draft version of your Stealth Dodge variant

McHotcakes March 11th, 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1778434)
Shaolin Monks originated the leap power and they learned it through training ;)

I agree with this. I have no problem with Stealth Leap being learnable to a normal person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1778434)
Have Many Guns be a Special Attack special power gained via Download.

I also agree with this.

Also the more I think about it the more I feel like Neo's army would be Ullar. I feel like his Kung Fu and the whole philosophy aspect of The Matrix is enough for him to qualify for membership.

I could also seem him as Aquilla, since he's rebellious and fighting against a repressive regime.