Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Maps & Scenarios (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Proposal to change the sorting of the Download area (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=14928)

NoIntentions December 27th, 2007 04:27 PM

Proposal to change the sorting of the Download area

i was thinking of an idea that would make it easier to find maps that you know you have enough pieces to make. currently, SotM maps are listed at the bottom of the list. instead, i propose that within each section (1 MS, 2 MS, etc.) there should be another choice of how many SotM sets you have. this would make it easier to find the maps that you have the correct number of both MSets to make.

HeroscaperHuh December 27th, 2007 05:52 PM

OR, we could just make a drop down list were you could put in what you are looking for and it would search. Although this would mean people like Nadi going back and telling the drop downs how sets their infinit maps need

Nadi December 27th, 2007 11:15 PM

Wait till you guys see Hero-X's 40 Master set map. :D

Shedim Kabal December 28th, 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeroscaperHuh
OR, we could just make a drop down list were you could put in what you are looking for and it would search.

If we could convince them to upload the hsc files (or similar*) with the pdf, then the database could be sorted automatically. (*Is there a universal map exchange format, yet?)

With that, people could enter (and save via cookies) their preferences (including sets, map size and max elevation) from which the system could produce a more productive list of available maps.

Nadi December 28th, 2007 11:14 AM

Can the download system actually sort? I've never really looked at it to see if it does.

Shedim Kabal December 28th, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadi
Can the download system actually sort? I've never really looked at it to see if it does.

Yes, but only in a fairly limited fashion (by date, by most downloads, by name). Those are pretty much the only variables they have readily available (though rating and a screenshot yes/no could probably be put into the current system).

HeroscapeLunatic December 28th, 2007 01:42 PM

This is exactly what prompted me to create a supplement in the Heroscape Omnibus.

Wiet December 29th, 2007 05:12 AM

What annoys me about the download section is that when I'm looking for maps with say 2 MS, there's a lot of maps there which also need several RTTFF, or lava, or ice, or combinations etc. It would be nice to be able to input the sets you have, and only filter out the maps you can actually make.

Alee_Brightberry December 29th, 2007 08:48 AM

what about some sort of excel file that has a list of sets across the top and map names down the side and the quanity of each set needed?

(Ok - I like excel)

You could see at a glance which maps would be doable, and then go looking for them.

Alee_Brightberry December 29th, 2007 09:20 AM

This is going to take awhile ..... lots of typing

I wanted to do this for myself anyway.

Nadi December 29th, 2007 01:08 PM

I don't think that the admins here are not wanting to do this, but I think it's just that they are limited by the download function and what it can offer. I would assume that if they wanted to offer the downloads this way, they would probably have to find another type of add-on or application to the download system that would allow them to do that.

That would probably be more work than the actual Excel file, really.

Shedim Kabal December 29th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadi
I don't think that the admins here are not wanting to do this, but I think it's just that they are limited by the download function and what it can offer. I would assume that if they wanted to offer the downloads this way, they would probably have to find another type of add-on or application to the download system that would allow them to do that.

That would probably be more work than the actual Excel file, really.

There is a workaround, though it requires a unanimous effort... If, during upload, we entered a code to represent the included set requirements instead of an Author name, then one could tell at a glance what each map contains. Then, sorting by Author would produce a list of increasing (or decreasing) set requirements.

For example, instead of seeing "Up and Down | ch1can0" you would have "Up and Down | 2M-0S-2R-1C-0T-0V-2X" Meaning it requires 2 RotV, 0 SotM, 2 RttFF, 1 Castle, 0 TTundra, 0 Volcano and 2 Wave expansions.

Obviously, we'd have to go back and change all the Author attributes for the current thousand maps, but - if we stick with the system - it would make map searching much faster. Then, as new expansions come out, we could use mass substitution on the previous data to add the new moniker.