Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Units (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Unit "book" creation thread (for those wiser than (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=7407)

Sargent_Drake_8 March 19th, 2007 03:59 AM

Unit "book" creation thread (for those wiser than

Okay so, Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I personally am sick of having a dozen unit question threads started a week that only get three responses and then are abandoned forever. we already have two like that on the units front page alone (Tarn's and Nakitas) that only have six responses each, one of which has that many only because I chose to ask a completely unrelated question rather than start another three respone topic.

So heres the Idea behind this one-all of you out there with a question about a unit now have a place to go and ask those questions, rather than starting a thread that will go away by day three. Tell me what you think of this idea, as I'm sure that if it's a bad one it will disappear.

To start off this thread, I'll ask my own unit question:Can Chompie use chomp with his back space? Cuz I moved his backspace under an overhang and chomped a samurai standing on Jalgaurd. Needless to say, my opponet was less than happy and took no time to point out that his tail doesn't have teeth and is therefore uncapable of chewing off any heads.

Looking forward to, but slightly fearing, the responses I might get. Thanks!

<Steps off of soapbox and walks home>

Revdyer March 19th, 2007 07:47 AM

As to the Grimnak question: The card says, "CHOMP
Before attacking, choose one medium or small figure adjacent to Grimnak."
That is the only criterion for who can be attacked. As long as the other figure is adjacent, it is open to a CHOMP attempt.

As to having one thread for questions about official units; I'd say the title of this Section gives us a whole section to use. Yes, many threads will get answers, even brief ones, and then scroll off. That's by design and the way the section works, I think.

rehlers March 19th, 2007 10:17 AM

Agreed, I like have the questions sorted out by individual threads, it makes searching for old stuff WAY easier. I hate doing a search for say Nakita and get a hit in some 20+ page thread, that I have to search through page by page to see why Nakita's were in there even.

Eclipse March 19th, 2007 11:14 AM

Isn't that why there's an entire section of the forums for unit questions? If you have a question, get your answer and be done with the thread. Very few of them have any value after :rtfc:

Consolidating them all into a single thread would simply make finding the information impossible, especially once two people ask a question around the same time. Why exactly do these thread bother you?

dnutt99 March 19th, 2007 12:17 PM

Not sure of the feasability of what you're asking thread-wise. I do agree that MANY of the question threads are abandoned after a proper or fully developed answer appears. And sometimes these threads turn into chat rooms of sorts. But it would still be difficult to collectively agree to post all questions within a thread or two, IMO. As previously stated, most times it's just too daunting a task to skim through a long thread in search of your initial question. Not only that but assuming we have multiple questions being asked and answered all at the same time, :shock: This means that instead of skipping pages you would eventually be skipping posts,.... and I could only imagine how chaotic that would get.

How about this. I'd rather see a sticky that is similar to the official FAQ. Maybe group all the general questions about gameplay and then per figure based on the content and importance of the question. I would only be suggesting that questions / scenarios NOT listed in the official FAQ to actually be listed in the sticky. And obviously the complexity and importance of the question would be taken into account before the Q's are added. Obviously I wouldn't reccommend listing a question like "Does Syvvaris get to attack a second time?" or "Does he get height advantage when he uses his special?" Obviously questions like that aren't significant enough to list. But what about the situation with the Ninjas, or the Samurai Charging Assault, (must end turn adjacent to enemy if using C.A.), or even the AE and 4th Mass. end result of the AE not interrupting the valiant bonus if they haven't dropped. I think all of these could be effectively "stickied" and it would be beneficial for the entire site.
- Vets. would know where they could go in a hurry to get that answer they "already knew" but can't recall.
- Newbs would have the option to surf one particular page / thread to get commonly asked questions instead of having to sift through the tons of pre-existing threads.
On retrospect, I guess this is actually closer to what you're suggesting than I originally thought it would be, :wink: but it is definitely something I personally would support. Maybe even stickies for groups or figs. like:
- Official Samurai Q&A Thread
- Official Kyrie Thread
- Official Flagbearer Thread
- Official Viper / Orc / Elf / Dragon / Souldbourg & Deathwalker / etc... / etc... / etc... Thread

I think this would be a great idea. Then it would not only answer questions pertaining to certain groups, but it would list all Q&A's on the 1st page for easy reference, and limit each thread to a handful of figs.

:2cents: + :2cents:

Billtog March 19th, 2007 12:35 PM

*heartily shakes Revdyer's hand for knowing that 'criterion' is singular and 'criteria' is plural*
:)

Revdyer March 19th, 2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnutt99
Not sure of the feasability of what you're asking thread-wise. I do agree that MANY of the question threads are abandoned after a proper or fully developed answer appears. And sometimes these threads turn into chat rooms of sorts. But it would still be difficult to collectively agree to post all questions within a thread or two, IMO. As previously stated, most times it's just too daunting a task to skim through a long thread in search of your initial question. Not only that but assuming we have multiple questions being asked and answered all at the same time, :shock: This means that instead of skipping pages you would eventually be skipping posts,.... and I could only imagine how chaotic that would get.

How about this. I'd rather see a sticky that is similar to the official FAQ. Maybe group all the general questions about gameplay and then per figure based on the content and importance of the question. I would only be suggesting that questions / scenarios NOT listed in the official FAQ to actually be listed in the sticky. And obviously the complexity and importance of the question would be taken into account before the Q's are added. Obviously I wouldn't reccommend listing a question like "Does Syvvaris get to attack a second time?" or "Does he get height advantage when he uses his special?" Obviously questions like that aren't significant enough to list. But what about the situation with the Ninjas, or the Samurai Charging Assault, (must end turn adjacent to enemy if using C.A.), or even the AE and 4th Mass. end result of the AE not interrupting the valiant bonus if they haven't dropped. I think all of these could be effectively "stickied" and it would be beneficial for the entire site.
- Vets. would know where they could go in a hurry to get that answer they "already knew" but can't recall.
- Newbs would have the option to surf one particular page / thread to get commonly asked questions instead of having to sift through the tons of pre-existing threads.
On retrospect, I guess this is actually closer to what you're suggesting than I originally thought it would be, :wink: but it is definitely something I personally would support. Maybe even stickies for groups or figs. like:
- Official Kyrie Thread
- Official Viper / Orc / Elf / Dragon / Souldbourg & Deathwalker / etc... / etc... / etc... Thread

I think this would be a great idea. Then it would not only answer questions pertaining to certain groups, but it would list all Q&A's on the 1st page for easy reference, and limit each thread to a handful of figs.

I respectfully diagree. Fifty or a hundred stickies makes a Section unusable for current posting, and that is how many, at least, stickies you are talking about. I don't think the current system is broken, except that the admins no longer have the merge function. That would help a lot.

Cavalier March 19th, 2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revdyer
Quote:

- Official Kyrie Thread

I respectfully diagree. Fifty or a hundred stickies makes a Section unusable for current posting, and that is how many, at least, stickies you are talking about. I don't think the current system is broken, except that the admins no longer have the merge function. That would help a lot.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with the Rev on this one. Too many stickies is a bad thing. Besides, it wouldn't stop people from posting new threads anyway. People readily admit that they don't read the stickies on a regular basis.

netherspirit March 19th, 2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revdyer
Quote:

- Official Kyrie Thread

We used to have lots of stickies, they were annoying because you'd have to go to the second page of the section to get to any threads that weren't stickied. We reorganized with Index Stickies and I think that works great.

Now that search is working again hopefully there won't be a lot of repeat threads. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

And you are right, not being able to merge is a big pain in the butt, but linking and locking seems to be working okay

dnutt99 March 19th, 2007 03:57 PM

No prob! I was just commenting on the initial posted idea.
The admins. and long time members have a much greater understanding than I about the makeup of the page. I do agree that even if this were implemented, people would still create new posts. I don't have any problem with the way things are currently set up. :D

Dennys March 19th, 2007 08:10 PM

Of course, if the site to IPB instead of PHPBB we could have sub forums and stick threads in the sub forum by unit.

<Runs away screaming in terror at the thought>

Revdyer March 19th, 2007 10:11 PM

Love the new avatar, Dennys.