Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Balantai February 25th, 2013 01:58 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Disengage isn't avoiding trouble as much as it is getting out of trouble. Trouble has already found you if you're disengaging. :D

Also, I would agrue that putting distance between you and your target isn't tracking. That's running away. Closing distance between you and your target feels more like tracking to me.

Wow. This may be the first time I disagree with Mac. :shock:

Confred February 25th, 2013 02:00 PM

I'd prefer:
ESCAPE
If Katniss starts her move engaged, she may add 2 to her Move value.

The reason is her breaks aren't clean ones. Engagements are risky. Escaping is risky. If she gets engaged, she can get out, but she'll do so at the risk of leaving engagement strikes.

Not being found and escaping once found are two sides of the avoidance coin, are two separate themes.
While she can escape, she is better at not being found in the first place.

Forcing adjacency with Evergreen Trees is a start, but figures would just b-line to her and fight her while engaged.

In the source material, heroes and squads alike are fanned out looking for her. It's only by an unfortunate order marker placement do they find her, but she's in a tree and cannot get to her. She eventually attacks when she has opportunity and runs away. From there she hides and hunts. It takes several rounds for them to catch up with reasonable chances.

Confred February 25th, 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1770805)
Also, I would argue that putting distance between you and your target isn't tracking. That's running away. Closing distance between you and your target feels more like tracking to me.

I can agree with this. I was using "Tracking" to make her feel more like a Hunter and because reusing powers / slightly modifying powers is fun to me.
With that said, the idea of using the phrase "Tracking" is to reference her ability to find trails, pick up traces of other figures and determine where they are so she can keep distance. While she is "running away" she's also corralling them, keeping a perimeter.

Balantai February 25th, 2013 02:12 PM

Here's another idea for Escape:

ESCAPE
If an opponent's figure that started the turn unengaged with Katniss ends it's turn engaged to Katniss, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, you may immediately move Katniss up to 2 spaces as long as she ends her turn unengaged. Katniss does not receive leaving engagement attacks when moving due to Escape.

mac122 February 25th, 2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1770805)
Disengage isn't avoiding trouble as much as it is getting out of trouble. Trouble has already found you if you're disengaging. :D

Also, I would agrue that putting distance between you and your target isn't tracking. That's running away. Closing distance between you and your target feels more like tracking to me.

Wow. This may be the first time I disagree with Mac. :shock:

It's about time. :D Though, I contend that getting out of trouble ~ avoiding trouble. From what I read, she seems to get out of trouble more than she avoids it.

Yeah, using Tracking to get away isn't the same as "tracking" your opponent, but they rely on many of the same skills. Stealth Tracking, the way I had envisioned it, would allow Katniss to use those skills while hunting and being hunted.

Eh, whatever you guys come up with. I obviously don't understand the character enough.

Confred February 25th, 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1770822)
Eh, whatever you guys come up with. I obviously don't understand the character enough.

Don't give up mac122, I've given descriptions of her, her behaviors, and the source material in most of my posts. Should be enough to work with, assuming you've had similar experiences as me - writing childhood book reports solely off of the paragraph on the backside cover.

McHotcakes February 25th, 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1770819)

ESCAPE
If an opponent's figure that started the turn unengaged with Katniss ends it's turn engaged to Katniss, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, then Katniss no longer has any visible hitzones for the duration of the turn, and you may immediately move Katniss up to 2 spaces as long as she ends her turn unengaged. Katniss does not receive leaving engagement attacks when moving due to with Escape.

I suggest her having no hit zones when using this power, because it would be kind of anti-climactic if Katniss escapes from an adjacent figure, only to have the figure pick her off with a ranged attack.

Balantai February 25th, 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McHotcakes (Post 1770853)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1770819)

ESCAPE
If an opponent's figure that started the turn unengaged with Katniss ends it's turn engaged to Katniss, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, then Katniss no longer has any visible hitzones for the duration of the turn, and you may immediately move Katniss up to 2 spaces as long as she ends her turn unengaged. Katniss does not receive leaving engagement attacks when moving due to with Escape.

I suggest her having no hit zones when using this power, because it would be kind of anti-climactic if Katniss escapes from an adjacent figure, only to have the figure pick her off with a ranged attack.

I like that.

Confred February 25th, 2013 05:29 PM

EVERGREEN SHROUD
When Katniss is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree, she has no visible hitzones.

AGGRESSIVE ESCAPE
When an enemy figure engages Katniss, you may immediately roll an unblockable attack die. If you roll a shield, Katniss may move up to 2/3/4 spaces and ignore all attacks this turn if she ends that move unengaged.
*The attack aspect would cover her trap making
*Even though I've been arguing against disengagement effects, this version is abstractly in the "hidden and not found, so not really engaged afterall" category and to make that work, it needs disengage. I thought it would be cool to leave out other forms of invulnerability to encourage her to run to an Evergreen, but it was much easier to word it to include all attacks, which is fine because it more resembles what others have written.
*A concern is that it does nothing against figures already engaged.

Lamaclown February 25th, 2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confred (Post 1770923)
EVERGREEN SHROUD
When Katniss is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree, she has no visible hitzones.

AGGRESSIVE ESCAPE
When an enemy figure engages Katniss, you may immediately roll an unblockable attack die. If you roll a shield, Katniss may move up to 2/3/4 spaces and ignore all attacks this turn if she ends that move unengaged.
*The attack aspect would cover her trap making
*Even though I've been arguing against disengagement effects, this version is abstractly in the "hidden and not found, so not really engaged afterall" category and to make that work, it needs disengage. I thought it would be cool to leave out other forms of invulnerability to encourage her to run to an Evergreen, but it was much easier to word it to include all attacks, which is fine because it more resembles what others have written.
*A concern is that it does nothing against figures already engaged.

A possible problem with Aggressive Escape would be, with rolling the attack die, turn interruption and the triggering of other powers with the rolling of the attack die. It could lead to some strange corner cases and other messy situations.

Balantai February 25th, 2013 05:52 PM

I completely agree with Lama. I don't think there's any precedent where you use attack dice during a turn when you're not attacking or defending. I could definitely cause some problems. It would be much easier to just use the D20 and use the same approximate percentages.

Confred February 25th, 2013 07:39 PM

When an enemy figure engages Katniss, you may immediately roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11 or higher, you may move her up to 3 spaces. If she ends that move unengaged, she cannot be attacked by any normal or leaving engagement attacks this turn.