Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape News (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   It's coming!!! (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=17474)

Eckels April 13th, 2008 11:46 PM

Re: It's coming!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grungebob (Post 534003)
Quote:

Originally Posted by guido (Post 533997)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grungebob (Post 533994)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy Lee (Post 533991)
All in all I like the new site. It seems easy to navigate and reasonably well laid out. I am sure I will get used to its quirks and find it as natural as ever in a couple of weeks.

Now, I will personally go on record as saying that "Reputation Points" is a BAD idea. I have seen this on other forums and it soon degenerates into a popularity contest. I don't think that this is a good idea, and I predict it will cause many problems in the future.

Buddy Lee

What kind of problems could it lead to? I'm sitting here thinking about it, and for the life of me, I can't think of any problems that would come out of it.

Me either, now let me just go find a post of everyone I dislike and give them a bad review.;)

Sorry for the sarcasm there GB, but I couldn't think of a better way to express how the reputation thing could go wrong. You may call me a ding-dong if you like.

Well go ahead and play around with zapping folks with negative rep.... In the end it only changes the color of their little tiny square.

I used to be an admin on another fairly active vB forum with reputation enabled, and most of the complaints we received about it was in regards to the fact that all reputation is anonymous, positive or negative. If you notice, each reputation point can be sent with a comment - and that comment is listed on your UserCP, without the sender's name (admins and mods/super mods can see the sender, ordinary members cannot).

The abuse would be mostly verbal (or textual?) - some members would send some pretty insulting and defamatory messages along with their negative feedback. The rating itself was never really an issue, but the messages sent had to be dealt with, several times.

I'm just giving a heads up, from experience, of the type of thing to expect. It's nice to think that the members here would be above this sort of thing, but It's always a possibility. I'm sure the temptation to send an anonymous burn can be too much for some people, even the overtly civil.

Grungebob April 14th, 2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eckels (Post 534065)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grungebob (Post 534003)
Quote:

Originally Posted by guido (Post 533997)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grungebob (Post 533994)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy Lee (Post 533991)
All in all I like the new site. It seems easy to navigate and reasonably well laid out. I am sure I will get used to its quirks and find it as natural as ever in a couple of weeks.

Now, I will personally go on record as saying that "Reputation Points" is a BAD idea. I have seen this on other forums and it soon degenerates into a popularity contest. I don't think that this is a good idea, and I predict it will cause many problems in the future.

Buddy Lee

What kind of problems could it lead to? I'm sitting here thinking about it, and for the life of me, I can't think of any problems that would come out of it.

Me either, now let me just go find a post of everyone I dislike and give them a bad review.;)

Sorry for the sarcasm there GB, but I couldn't think of a better way to express how the reputation thing could go wrong. You may call me a ding-dong if you like.

Well go ahead and play around with zapping folks with negative rep.... In the end it only changes the color of their little tiny square.

I used to be an admin on another fairly active vB forum with reputation enabled, and most of the complaints we received about it was in regards to the fact that all reputation is anonymous, positive or negative. If you notice, each reputation point can be sent with a comment - and that comment is listed on your UserCP, without the sender's name (admins and mods/super mods can see the sender, ordinary members cannot).

The abuse would be mostly verbal (or textual?) - some members would send some pretty insulting and defamatory messages along with their negative feedback. The rating itself was never really an issue, but the messages sent had to be dealt with, several times.

I'm just giving a heads up, from experience, of the type of thing to expect. It's nice to think that the members here would be above this sort of thing, but It's always a possibility. I'm sure the temptation to send an anonymous burn can be too much for some people, even the overtly civil.

I see your point. Thanks for this tip. We will have to deal with that as it comes.

bunjee April 14th, 2008 02:20 AM

In order to better focus conversation, please post New Site related comments in one of the appropriate threads in the Scapers Online forum.

New Site: Unresolved Issues
New Site: Welcome, post your reaction
New Site: Cool New Features You've Found
New Site: Play in the Sandbox

I'm going to go ahead and lock this one up!

Grungebob April 15th, 2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyguy94920 (Post 533930)
I guess I care more about rep than I thought, but an Idea for the good or the bad

I would like to see who posted the comment and the rep about you

That way, when someone like Grungebob comments about you, you can either know that you better shape up, or else

This way, if someone post gives you negative rep, you can PM them and ask, why did you say that

Or you could also know if some 2 post member is slandering your name for no good reason, and report them for doing so

Well, it is better that it remain anonymous. And know that we are wanting folks to reduce the size of their sigs as a courtesy to our other members. There is no reason to have a huge sig, unless you are just crying out for attention, and if so, you will undoubtedly receive negative attention as well.

Also know that any rep comments given to an admin are not anonymous.