Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

JC McMinis October 28th, 2011 02:20 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Awesome choice Mac..I remeber that horrible movie as well, the cheesy acting and the pathetic special effects.

SirGalahad October 28th, 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1504088)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1504078)
ENERGY RESERVES
After rolling for initiative, you may either add 2 spaces to Eragon Shadeslayer's Move or Range for the remainder of the round, add 1 die to Eragon's Defense for the remainder of the round, or remove one wound marker from this card.

Thanks, SirG. Should "spaces" and "die" be added as well?

Grammatically, probably. Classicly, not necessarily. Uncapitalize defense and leave off the "die". Most instances of "defense" immediately precede "die" or "dice". It has usually been "Add # to ___'s defense (Dumutef Guard, Marro Drudge, Microcorp Agents, Nerak, Shiori)

Now Siege has added the word "value(s)" to follow "Move," "Attack," and "Defense" so it could go like this:

ENERGY RESERVES
After rolling for initiative, you may either add 2 to Eragon Shadeslayer's Move or Range value for the remainder of the round, add 1 to Eragon's Defense value for the remainder of the round, or remove one wound marker from this card.

machinekng October 28th, 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1504671)
There are so many aspects to Doc Savage, it would take several cards to cover them all. Here are some of the main characteristics I'd like to see represented:
Physical strength
Superior Intellect
Supermachine Pistol (though Mercy bullets may not work to well in Scape)
Master of Disguise (thinking some variation of Thorian Speed, perhaps)

Hmm...

As for mercy bullets, since the target would be immobilized, it would be as if they were dead, for battle purposes. Anyway, heroscape figures are "destroyed" rather than killed.

What general are you thinking for him? Personally, I'm thinking Einar, both for his color scheme (bronze) and his self-righteousness doesn't seem to fit Jandar.

So...

Doc Savage
Einar

Human
Unique Hero
Adventurer/Scientist/Champion
Dauntless/Disciplined/Righteous
Medium ?

Life-6
Move-5
Range-1
Attack-5
Defense-3

Supermachine Pistol Special Attack
Range 6. Attack 2.
Doc Savage may use this special attack 4 times in the same turn. Doc Savage may the target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.
(Wording taken from Q10)

Superior Intellect
When the 20-sided die is rolled for any army card, and at least one of the figures of that army card is adjacent to Doc Savage, you may either add 1 or subtract 1 from the die roll.

(It's hard to represent intellect in heroscape, so I thought the best way to do so would be to have Doc Savage using his superior mind to make his allies more effective, and to thwart his enemies. Maybe based off of his relationship with the Fabulous Five?)

Master of Disguise
Instead of attacking with Doc Savage, you may place a black disguise marker on this army card. If there is a black disguise marker on this Doc Savage's army card, Doc Savage may not be attacked by nonadjacent figures. If Doc Savage attacks, immediately remove all disguise markers from this army card.

(I'm not sure if this accurately represents his disguises, but I think it's thematic.)

Taeblewalker October 28th, 2011 06:55 PM

Adventurer and Dauntless sound right to me.

mac122 October 28th, 2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1505160)
Adventurer and Dauntless sound right to me.

Those fit quite well. I had thought of Leader, too, but Adventurer is probably the more thematic choice.

@machinekng: Einar wouldn't be a bad fit, but I was thinking Jandar for Doc. I never really pictured him as "self-righteous" but as the perfect counter to evil. The scientific/inventor side of him leans toward Vydar. However, while Vydar is "good", there always seems to be that hint of darkness.

Master of Disguise probably needs to be more of a total defense type ability. I am leaning toward a Thorian Speed/Stealth Dodge sort of ability. Even when the enemy did see him coming, he was incredibly hard to hit.

Keep the ideas coming!

mac122 November 1st, 2011 01:42 AM

I think I've made all the tweaks to get the Hi-Res blanks to work. Here's an example.
Eragon, Hi-Res
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...HADESLAYER.jpg
Original
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...LAYER-rev3.png

The Hi-Res blank does look much better. I normally uploaded the PNG versions for higher quality, but the Hi-Res example is JPG and it looks pretty good. It's also a lot smaller file. The Hi-Res PNG was over 2mb while this JPG is a little over 300kb.
----------------
Hoping a few more will chime in on Doc Savage before I post a draft.

tcglkn November 1st, 2011 09:47 AM

I don't know Doc Savage, that high-res card looks incredible. :thumbsup:

Taeblewalker November 1st, 2011 09:54 AM

That is a nice looking card! Are there any more Doc Savage ideas?

Lamaclown November 1st, 2011 09:56 AM

Late to the party.

First, Doc Savage- great choice!

Second, for Master of Disguise, I was thinking of something I did not too long ago for a Master of Disguise ability. It allowed the figure to benefit from the aura or enhancement of any figure, regardless of player.

IOW, if Doc is within range of the defense aura of an opponent's Raelin, Doc could benefit from it because he would "disguise" himself as one of that Raelin's allies.

I never could quite get the wording right, but that was my thought on that kind of ability.

mac122 November 1st, 2011 12:55 PM

I've been thinking about Doc. LC's idea about using the auras of opponent's figures sparked another idea.

While being a Master of Disguise is thematic for Doc, taking down villains and protecting others is more important overall. In many Doc Savage novels, Doc is quickly able to devise a defense against the villains' attack. Often, in the end, the villain and his henchmen die as a result of their own evil plans or devices - either Doc has sabotaged the "device" or has found a counter to it that causes it to backfire, in a sense, against the villains. Here's what I'm thinking:

BY THEIR OWN DEVICE
Whenever Doc Savage or any friendly figure adjacent to Doc Savage would receive wounds from an opponent's special attack or special ability, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11-18, ignore any wounds. If you roll 19 or higher, the opponent's figure receives those wounds instead.

------------------
Quote:

...that high-res card looks incredible.
Thanks. And thanks for asking about them. After seeing the difference the Hi-Res blanks make, I wish I had made the switch a long time ago. I'll be transferring all the HoF cards to the Hi-Res blanks over the next few days.

JC McMinis November 1st, 2011 01:44 PM

Maybe give Doc a leadership ability or even Tactician like Captain America

Taeblewalker November 1st, 2011 02:03 PM

I like Mac's idea a lot. As for LC's disguise ability, I would have to know how important it is in Doc Savage's stories - and I really haven't read them.