Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Maps & Scenarios (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53607)

Leaf_It December 7th, 2016 07:20 PM

Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Leaf_It's
Maps & Scenarios
All feed back is welcome

Standard Tournament Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Very Slippery Ice Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Single Master Set Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Free For All Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Scenarios
Spoiler Alert!

CJofCourse December 7th, 2016 08:33 PM

Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf_It (Post 2124502)
I have several maps and scenarios planned, and when I get around to finishing them, I'll post them here.

My first map, that I have tested enough to post here:

Ice Rock Dungeon
Spoiler Alert!

All feedback is appreciated.

Cool map! Can't wait to see more from you. If there's going to be one issue this thread has, it would be the set requirements not being in the thread or pdf. I also like your idea of of custom Ice rules, it's interesting and opens up even more map possibilities, can't wait to see more!

caps December 7th, 2016 09:03 PM

Not sure if tournament players are your intended audience, but I have to ask--how does the elevated snow right next to the start zone work out for Raelin and the like?

Leaf_It December 7th, 2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJtheMighty (Post 2124531)

Cool map! Can't wait to see more from you. If there's going to be one issue this thread has, it would be the set requirements not being in the thread or pdf. I also like your idea of of custom Ice rules, it's interesting and opens up even more map possibilities, can't wait to see more!

Set Requirements added. Thank you.

I always felt that calling it slippery ice didn't make sense, since it's stopping you from moving, when slippery ice in real life usually makes you move farther than you intend. I've playtested this map with the new ice mechanic, and it plays pretty well. You have to plan out landing on the glyphs though, or you'll miss them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 2124534)
Not sure if tournament players are your intended audience, but I have to ask--how does the elevated snow right next to the start zone work out for Raelin and the like?

I have never used a Raelin army myself. Or rather, I've not used one since I was very young, and only had a master set and a few small expansion waves. The short answer is, I have no idea how it works out for Raelin, but with the size of the map, and the other high ground so close, I don't think it will be a huge problem. I could be wrong though.

Sir Heroscape December 7th, 2016 10:59 PM

Initial Thoughts:
Cap is right. The elevation that close to the start zone is a concern...with the exception that a big iceblock will block most LOS targets straight ahead.

My main concern is the up and down, choppy elevation through the middle of the map. Any melee armies: knights, legionaires, sacred band etc will have a very difficult time developing across the map. It'll be slow and tedious for them, allowing ranged armies - even with the limited elevation - to still have the advantage b/c of the choppiness of the snow tiles through the middle.

Leaf_It December 7th, 2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape (Post 2124563)
Initial Thoughts:
Cap is right. The elevation that close to the start zone is a concern...with the exception that a big iceblock will block most LOS targets straight ahead.

My main concern is the up and down, choppy elevation through the middle of the map. Any melee armies: knights, legionaires, sacred band etc will have a very difficult time developing across the map. It'll be slow and tedious for them, allowing ranged armies - even with the limited elevation - to still have the advantage b/c of the choppiness of the snow tiles through the middle.

In my own play tests, this was not as big of an issue as it might seem. Though I admit that I wanted to make the middle less choppy, but I ran out of terrain.

caps December 8th, 2016 12:41 AM

When testing for lumpiness, also consider units like the Marrden Hounds, Nilfheim, and Grimnak.

Leaf_It December 8th, 2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 2124574)
When testing for lumpiness, also consider units like the Marrden Hounds, Nilfheim, and Grimnak.

I'll do a few more tests, and potentially change the map based on them.

Leaf_It December 10th, 2016 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sneak peak at something I've built.

Leaf_It June 16th, 2017 05:57 PM

Incoming with a reworked Ice Rock Dungeon, and 2 new maps.

Ice Rock Dungeon 1.1
https://www.heroscapers.com/download...20v1.1_1BR.png
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4669
I tried to make things smoother, and more balanced.

A Couple Puddles 1.2
https://www.heroscapers.com/download...les1.2_t58.png
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4667
I made this for the Uncharted Wellsprings mapping contest.

There is a Wall Here
https://www.heroscapers.com/download...20here_52P.png
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4668
I wanted to make a map that didn't use a master set at all, but used all the small terrain expansions. I don't know if it's really worth playing, but it was kind of fun to make.

rednax June 17th, 2017 05:28 PM

Hey [MENTION=46851]Leaf_It[/MENTION]!

I really like the look and feel of your maps. All of them are very pleasing aesthetically and I can tell you spent a lot of time deciding where line of sight blockers and pathing went. Here are my thoughts:

Ice Rock Dungeon
I think this map looks really neat and I love the abundant supply of line of sight blockers. The "Very Slippery Ice" rule is interesting, and I understand what you're going for, but I'm not sure if that completely makes sense either. Yes, slippery ice does cause you to go further than you intended, but often times you lack control to decide when you turn (thinking back to some old Pokemon games). So while this rule does propel you further, it allows you to do a lot of zigzagging, something that probably couldn't happen in real life. That's why I actually prefer the standard slippery ice rules. I've always interpreted it as "The ice is so slippery that you have to walk slower so you don't lose your balance."

This is just a nitpicky thing since you brought up realism in ice rules. Functionally, I think it's actually a really neat terrain effect.

A Couple Puddles
I also like how you used line of sight blockers on this map. The trees help from shooting across the gap, and the ruin helps a bit as you approach on your right side. Regarding glyph choice, I wonder if you might want to choose something a little more powerful in the middle. As it currently stands, I'm not sure if Dagmar is powerful enough to draw attention away from the two hills. Maybe Wannok or Valda could be placed there instead. Valda in particular could be useful in helping melee teams scale the hills.

There is a Wall Here
I love the novelty factor of this map. You make use of these disparate terrain expansions without having the map look too cacophonous. I realize that you don't recommend it for competitive play, but I wanted to offer one suggestion nonetheless. With the layout of the map, it seems like most of the action will be concentrated by the glyph, and I can imagine it getting very cramped. I'd be curious to see what you could do with the map if you shortened the wall a bit to open the action up.

But if you'd rather leave it as is, I get that too. :p

Leaf_It June 18th, 2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednax (Post 2153728)
Hey @Leaf_It !

I really like the look and feel of your maps. All of them are very pleasing aesthetically and I can tell you spent a lot of time deciding where line of sight blockers and pathing went. Here are my thoughts:

Ice Rock Dungeon
I think this map looks really neat and I love the abundant supply of line of sight blockers. The "Very Slippery Ice" rule is interesting, and I understand what you're going for, but I'm not sure if that completely makes sense either. Yes, slippery ice does cause you to go further than you intended, but often times you lack control to decide when you turn (thinking back to some old Pokemon games). So while this rule does propel you further, it allows you to do a lot of zigzagging, something that probably couldn't happen in real life. That's why I actually prefer the standard slippery ice rules. I've always interpreted it as "The ice is so slippery that you have to walk slower so you don't lose your balance."

This is just a nitpicky thing since you brought up realism in ice rules. Functionally, I think it's actually a really neat terrain effect.

When speaking for my self, when there's large patches of ice, I don't usually try to go slower to stay steady, I try to launch myself to see how far I can slide, and sometime that makes me run into things, or go farther than I want. I see your point though, most people do try to go slow, and stay steady.
Quote:

A Couple Puddles
I also like how you used line of sight blockers on this map. The trees help from shooting across the gap, and the ruin helps a bit as you approach on your right side. Regarding glyph choice, I wonder if you might want to choose something a little more powerful in the middle. As it currently stands, I'm not sure if Dagmar is powerful enough to draw attention away from the two hills. Maybe Wannok or Valda could be placed there instead. Valda in particular could be useful in helping melee teams scale the hills.

It's funny that you mention Valda, because that was the Glyph I originally had in the middle. I was told that it was redundant with all the road there is, and that it would likely be ignored since the normal movement with road bonus is so good. I agree that Valda is great glyph to have when moving melee forces, and I value it highly in games that I play in. I'll see what the ARV says after they test the map.
Quote:

There is a Wall Here
I love the novelty factor of this map. You make use of these disparate terrain expansions without having the map look too cacophonous. I realize that you don't recommend it for competitive play, but I wanted to offer one suggestion nonetheless. With the layout of the map, it seems like most of the action will be concentrated by the glyph, and I can imagine it getting very cramped. I'd be curious to see what you could do with the map if you shortened the wall a bit to open the action up.

But if you'd rather leave it as is, I get that too. :p

As it currently is, a move 6 range 6 can already 1 turn attack the opponents start zone. I don't want to allow that any more that I already am.

Thank you for all the feedback @rednax I appreciate it.