Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Spite's Customs - Bloo! 10/11 (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33938)

spiteofthedice December 11th, 2010 09:33 PM

Spite's Customs - Bloo! 10/11

Thanks for looking. Feedback is always appreciated. Here's the newest stuff:
Bloo:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ice/Bloo-1.jpg
Elite Sandvipers:The Taizong Warriors:Mizeekay:Warhead:
Hotzone:
And Ratatat:

The Elite Rockhoppers:
The Moon Tribe of Aquilla:
Tonkk:Burauga:Green Wyrmlings, Red Wyrmlings:
Dumb-Dum, the tortured test subject:The Dreadgul Viking Warriors:The Stormrage Shambler:Ong-Ruk-Sa:MENDRAXX:

Older Stuff:
Spoiler Alert!

Tell me what you think! Any feedback is always welcome.

Thanks.

~Spite

Soundwarp SG-1 December 18th, 2010 07:42 PM

Re: Spite's Custom Units - Air Elementalist & Archon, 1/4

Nice job :up:, I'm not really a fan of the DnD elementals, but I really like what you've done with these guys.

My only real problem is with the Air Archon's powers. Archons are like super-elementals right? If so, it seems odd to me that he doesn't have any sort of air powers of his own. I like the powers he has, but they're both support powers of sorts, neither really scream 'I'm a man made of wind!' to me. :shrug:

Points wise, I'd say 110-120 for Sephyn, 50-60 for the Archon.

Other minor quibbles-

-'Sephyn the Howling Storm' is called 'Sephyn the Stormcloud' in his ability text.

-In the special attack, there should be a period instead of a coma after 'Range 4' and another period after 'Attack 3'

-Personally, I wouldn't ALL CAPS Swirling Vortex or Blinding Wind Special Attack in the special attack's text, I don't think any official cards do that.

spiteofthedice December 18th, 2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 1295732)
Nice job :up:, I'm not really a fan of the DnD elementals, but I really like what you've done with these guys.

Do you mean the D1 elementals, or the Archon figures? I love the Archon sculpts, particularly Earth. And Water. Fire is less impressive than the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1
My only real problem is with the Air Archon's powers. Archons are like super-elementals right? If so, it seems odd to me that he doesn't have any sort of air powers of his own. I like the powers he has, but they're both support powers of sorts, neither really scream 'I'm a man made of wind!' to me. :shrug:

Arg. That's so true. But I'm not sure how to change him. I like him as a summoned figure, so that has to be on his card. I want him to benefit the Air Elemental somehow, because it's pretty flimsy otherwise. And I want all my Archons to grow beefier to various degrees as the smaller elementals die off. Not sure how I can simplify him to make room for a thematic ability. But you're right--he should have one.

Quote:

Really?? I'm with you on Sephyn, but you realize when 2 Air Elementals die, the Archon becomes a 5A/5D, right? That seems awfully cheap to me. Maybe I'm overestimating him.

Quote:

-'Sephyn the Howling Storm' is called 'Sephyn the Stormcloud' in his ability text.
I did that for flair . . . Or Thanks and I'll fix it. ;)

Quote:

-In the special attack, there should be a period instead of a coma after 'Range 4' and another period after 'Attack 3'

-Personally, I wouldn't ALL CAPS Swirling Vortex or Blinding Wind Special Attack in the special attack's text, I don't think any official cards do that.
Good stuff. Thanks man. This thread got completely ignored when I first posted it. I'm hoping it's just because cards without pictures are boring. Anyway, thanks for your insight.

~Spite, *sigh* back to work

Soundwarp SG-1 December 18th, 2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiteofthedice (Post 1295858)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 1295732)

Do you mean the D1 elementals, or the Archon figures? I love the Archon sculpts, particularly Earth. And Water. Fire is less impressive than the others.

The D1 elementals, I'm just not a fan of elementals as common mooks.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1

Arg. That's so true. But I'm not sure how to change him. I like him as a summoned figure, so that has to be on his card. I want him to benefit the Air Elemental somehow, because it's pretty flimsy otherwise. And I want all my Archons to grow beefier to various degrees as the smaller elementals die off. Not sure how I can simplify him to make room for a thematic ability. But you're right--he should have one.
What about changing elemental reinforcement to a more thematic wind power that grows stronger when you put air elementals on his card? Like a version of Swirling Vortex that increases in range or something?

I kind of like that idea, sort of like reverse wyrmlings, maybe all the Archons could have improved or similar powers to their elementals that you can boost with dead elementals. :shrug:

Quote:

Quote:

Really?? I'm with you on Sephyn, but you realize when 2 Air Elementals die, the Archon becomes a 5A/5D, right? That seems awfully cheap to me. Maybe I'm overestimating him.
I might be completely of base, but I think the summoning really lowers his points. Compared to the Airborne or the Retchets, the Archon's summoning is pretty much a pure negative. He doesn't get to pop up where ever he pleases or take a free turn, and a swarm army could completely negate the chance of him coming out if it gets lucky.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the idea of the -mancers summoning their archons very cool idea.

Quote:

Good stuff. Thanks man. This thread got completely ignored when I first posted it. I'm hoping it's just because cards without pictures are boring. Anyway, thanks for your insight.

~Spite, *sigh* back to work
No problem, I owe you for all you done in my mod thread. Plus, I really like the idea behind these guys you're working on. And, I wouldn't worry about the lack of responses, the custom card section is just kind of chaotic right now, it's easy for good threads to get over looked when half the site is starting to make customs for the first time.

----
EDIT
----

Just noticed this, is there any particular reason the Archon can save an air elemental within 4 spaces but has to place it within 3 spaces of himself? Not a game breaker or anything, just seems kind of odd to me.

Super Bogue December 18th, 2010 11:54 PM

1) This looks good. I am really curious to see which figure you are going to use for Sephyn.

2) If you were thinking of giving the Archon a wind themed power may I suggest something like the Air Elemental's Air Mastery. Instead of being a power that affects just the figure that the elemental is attacking, you could use something like an aura where any figure wtih Flying/Stealth Flying within x amount spaces would roll subtract x amount from his defense dice.

3) 120 for Sephyn and 75 for the Archon

4) No. The way you have it now Sephyn can sit behind a formation of Air Elementals and rip up any melee units trying to get close to him.

5) Not really, I would suggest dropping Sephyn's Life to 4 or 5 and the Archon's Life to 4.

spiteofthedice December 19th, 2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 (Post 1295918)
What about changing elemental reinforcement to a more thematic wind power that grows stronger when you put air elementals on his card? Like a version of Swirling Vortex that increases in range or something?

Interesting...I'll get back to you.
Quote:

I might be completely of base, but I think the summoning really lowers his points. Compared to the Airborne or the Retchets, the Archon's summoning is pretty much a pure negative. He doesn't get to pop up where ever he pleases or take a free turn, and a swarm army could completely negate the chance of him coming out if it gets lucky.
I hadn't thought of that. On the other hand, upon being summoned, the Rechets and the AE can immediately be killed. My archon comes in as a fully-loaded hero. And Air will not be the strongest of the four, I promise. So I feel like there's some added value there as well.
Quote:

is there any particular reason the Archon can save an air elemental within 4 spaces but has to place it within 3 spaces of himself? Not a game breaker or anything, just seems kind of odd to me.
See, that actually was a thematic touch. He's a funneling current. When the Air Elemental is destroyed, it gets pulled back toward the Archon, who spins it back up and gets it swirling again. Or something like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Bogue (Post 1295922)
1) This looks good. I am really curious to see which figure you are going to use for Sephyn.

Soon, I hope.
Quote:

2) If you were thinking of giving the Archon a wind themed power may I suggest something like the Air Elemental's Air Mastery. Instead of being a power that affects just the figure that the elemental is attacking, you could use something like an aura where any figure wtih Flying/Stealth Flying within x amount spaces would roll subtract x amount from his defense dice.
Interesting. Stronger vortex takes down fliers. I like it. I haven't playtested these guys yet. I just need to make sure the Air Elementals get enough support, since they won't have Kurrok taking turns with 3 at a time and summoning them when necessary. I worry that without the regeneration factor, at least the Elemental-component of the army might fizzle too quickly. That was the point of the Archon's regeneration power. Must think more about this.

Quote:

3) 120 for Sephyn and 75 for the Archon
That might be about right. I might bump the Archon to 80 to start with. Then I might find out I'm wrong.;)

Quote:

5) Not really, I would suggest dropping Sephyn's Life to 4 or 5 and the Archon's Life to 4.
I don't know about this. Kurrok needs to stay out of harm's way. I want Sephyn to be able to venture into the fray a little more. Or at least into the friendly vortex. As for the Archon, 5 is average, and I do want them to be a little on the scary side. I'll see what works.

I really appreciate the input, guys. It's great to be able to bounce ideas around.

I'll be back.

~Spite

winonavampire December 25th, 2010 11:32 AM

Pretty cool idea. The army will almost feel like orcs with every unite synergising with the others in some way.

Everything seems to work, but I did have a question/concern with "Focused Energy Air Bonding" and "Summon Air Archon"

You were tricksey with what you did and I am sure if it was intentional or not.

With the way it is worded, you can:

Move Syphen
Take a turn with three Air Elementals
Summon (attempt) an Air Archon

That feels like a little much. I could be wrong, though. It feels like it is taking alot of thought out of the unit because there is only one good option. If you had to decide between bonding and taking a full turn, it would make the unit more interesting.

Finally, if you are using the DDM Archons I think you are, I have to agree, those are some amazing sculpts. I was hoping those were what would be used for the elementals.

spiteofthedice December 26th, 2010 10:01 PM

Revised Sephyn the Howling Storm and the Air Archon in the first post.

And added Ward, the Warforged Bodyguard.

Enjoy. And tell me how you like them. I know I'm not the only customs thread around, but I love feedback. Thanks, guys.

~Spite

EDIT: Added Thaelin Frostblade. And since I don't think anyone is looking at the thread, I'd just like to say that I am actually a monkey, and I have piloted a spaceship.

Soundwarp SG-1 December 27th, 2010 11:48 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't have time to type up a post till now

Sephyn:

I like the combined summoning power, though it should specify that you can only summon ones you control.

Otherwise, he looks good. He might need a slight points increase to go with his more versatile power though.

Air Archon:

Looks good, I like the new power. I don't see anything in need of fixing.

On Ward:

Selfless Guardian needs a few changes,

-I don't think it can actually stop a figure from attacking the guy Ward switched with as written. It just says the figure must target Ward, but I'm pretty sure you can target as many figures as you like before attacking.

-definitely needs to clarify if the switched figures take leaving engagement attacks or not.

Everything else looks great, I would have made him a regular guard or a protector personally, but it's your barbeque and it tastes good. :up:

---
EDIT
---

On the Ice Dwarf, few things I noticed:

'Frost Forged Axe' is called 'Frozen Sledge' in it's text.

For the last line, I'd word it like this-
'If Thaelin is on a snow or ice space, add 1 to his attack dice for Frost Forged Axe Special Attack.'

That way it fits with the '4+ Special' wording used before.

Everything else looks good, very thematic little guy, I like him.

chaoserver January 2nd, 2011 01:25 AM

Re: Spite's Customs - 2 New Cards

First of all, pretty clean cards, visually pleasing stuff, much cleaner than my hitzones.

I enjoy the air elemental/air archon archetype, very creative even while using the existing unit.

I fear that the Warforged bodyguard is overpowered, perhaps with the standard defense of 2 the 6 life would not be so difficult to chip away at. As he is, he invalidated Heirloom for only a few more points, while obviously being a different unit entirely of course.

Because of his bonding Thaelin seems OP at first glance, but I suspect he is fair, due to his average life, low defense, and limit on his special attack. His sculpt looks extremely cool as well!

spiteofthedice January 4th, 2011 03:42 PM

Re: Spite's Customs - 2 New Cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoserver (Post 1305259)
First of all, pretty clean cards, visually pleasing stuff, much cleaner than my hitzones.

:D Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoserver (Post 1305259)
I fear that the Warforged bodyguard is overpowered, perhaps with the standard defense of 2 the 6 life would not be so difficult to chip away at. As he is, he invalidated Heirloom for only a few more points, while obviously being a different unit entirely of course.

Actually, we just tried him out last night, along with another custom unit that I haven't posted yet. He's definitely not overpowered. Solid, and that's the point, but not overpowered.

Although I admit I haven't been the biggest Heirloom fan anyway, the thing is that the two do very different things, with Heirloom being able to firebomb a screen and Ward's purpose being the protection of higher-profile characters. If you're using Ward to defend squaddies, you probably overpaid for the saves. That's still my opinion, but I don't think he nixes Heirloom.

Quote:

Because of his bonding Thaelin seems OP at first glance, but I suspect he is fair, due to his average life, low defense, and limit on his special attack. His sculpt looks extremely cool as well!
I can't take credit for his sculpt, but I did get to paint him. Haven't had the chance to try him out yet, but I'm pretty psyched about him.

I have at least a couple other cards I can post now. Tried another out last night against the Warforged and they were a lot of fun. I'll try to get the card image up a little later.

As always, thanks for the comments. It makes the process much more fun. ;)

~Spite

spiteofthedice January 4th, 2011 09:52 PM

Re: Spite's Customs - The Stone Golem

Updated with the Stone Golem

EDIT: Woops, sorry for the double-post