Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   TV: What Are You Watching? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27342)

Darth Vader August 31st, 2013 10:21 PM

Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

I just finished the Sopranos on DVD. Great show, great acting. Now I will be moving on to either Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Boardwalk Empire. I am also watching Rescue Me on Netflix right now.

Yodaking August 31st, 2013 11:02 PM

Breaking Bad is the best of those 3. I really enjoyed the first 3 season of Sopranos, those seasons were exceptional tv. Then it started to decline some, still had some great individual episodes here and there but the overall story arcs became weaker. Breaking Bad on the other hand has been getting better as it goes along. At the end of season 4 I said that one was the best season yet, now I'm deep into season 5 and it is challenging for the title. Loved last Sundays episode.

chas September 2nd, 2013 03:24 PM

Animated DVD series:

1. A sick, guilty pleasure.

2. A spy and his mom.

3. Six letters beginning with 'A.'

Answer: ARCHER

Ninja Status September 8th, 2013 10:44 PM

Still waiting for the next season of Grey's Anatomy to come out...

Also, Tornado. Thanks for the advice on Supernatural, it does get better throughout season 3 and 4.
~NS

chas September 9th, 2013 11:12 AM

Here's a TV trivia question for you older fans that I just learned by watching ME TV (oldies):

When did two actors who were prominent in the TV Series North and South--James Read (General George Hazzard) and Philip Casnoff (baddie Elkanah Bent) appear on a network TV episode together? Hint: they are both introducing themselves as the same person, but one is lying!

Answer Below:

Answer: On the pilot of Remington Steele, which I just
saw for the first time. (And no, they are not pretending to be RS).

Tornado September 9th, 2013 12:39 PM

Cool chas. I have been watching a lot of MeTV lately myself.

I missed RS, drats, but I caught the pilots for Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch.

Gilligan was packing heat!

heroscaper2010 September 16th, 2013 11:02 PM

Finished watching the Finale for Under The Dome. Had chills basically the whole hour of it.

All I can say is "that's unfair." I hate cliffhangers, but I guess that's what happens in Finales. :grumble:

Hahma September 16th, 2013 11:32 PM

Watched Sleepy Hollow tonight. Enjoyed it.

Yodaking September 16th, 2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 1867719)
Watched Sleepy Hollow tonight. Enjoyed it.

Me too. Sounds like they have a 7 season story arc in mind if it can find an audience. Having an end game in mind at the beginning is a good sign.

Alvin15k September 17th, 2013 08:37 PM

"Attack on Titan" currently has my attention!

It's an anime series, still in it's first season, that has been really interesting and engaging. I wouldn't recommend it for the little ones as it can be gory and disturbing at times.

Without giving too much away:

Humankind has been driven to the brink of extinction due to the appearance of the titans. Gigantic humanoid creatures who's sole purpose is to devour humans. (Think gigantic zombies) In a last ditch effort to save themselves, a set of 3 concentric walls were built to provide protection from the titans. Wall Maria, the outer wall is where most commoners lived. Wall Rose, is where you'll find the middle class. Finally, Wall Sina is where you'll find the upper-class. After 100 years of peace and protection from the titans. An enormous, never before seen, titan appears and destroys the outer wall. That's where the story begins. :)

Again, not really for kids due to the scenes of violence and gore.

If you're going to check it out, give it until episode 5 (TRUST ME) before you make up your mind. ;)

Cheers!

Alvin

Crixus33 September 19th, 2013 09:44 PM

Just watched an episode of Scrubs on Netflix entitled My Screw Up.
Spoiler Alert!

Crixus33 September 19th, 2013 09:45 PM

Double post, whoops.

chas September 20th, 2013 07:52 AM

Spartacus Third Season: War of the Damned. Nice finish. I checked them out on the actual history, and they were fanciful but not totally off, which almost surprised me. I met Sam Raimi at a party here in NYC years ago. A pal who hosted said he knew more about martial arts movies than what actually happened in either ancient myth (Hercules and Xena, which I enjoyed), or history. A young Julius Caesar was actually alive at the time of the Spartacus rebellion, although I doubt he was an action hero in his youth!

I still buy DVDs the old fashioned way. But the one store left in all of NYC where you could look at thousands of disks before you buy them is sadly now just a shadow of its former self (J&R Music). Sigh. See my similar post about what is almost the last used book store in Brooklyn in my thread in the Comics section. Double sigh...

And for anime fans out there, a new series of the neverending Tenchi Muyo Universe now has Part I out (Episodes 1-7) in a Blue Ray/Regular DVD Combo Pack. A cousin/descendent (?) of TM ('Kenshi Muyo') gets kidnapped by an alien princess, and becomes a bath attendant slave to her entire boarding school of hot women. Hey, that hasn't happened to me since...well, never mind.

Hahma September 24th, 2013 11:03 PM

Watched Agents of SHIELD and Chicago Fire tonight. Good stuff!

Hahma September 26th, 2013 09:15 PM

Big Bang Theory tonight. Very funny as usual.

chas September 27th, 2013 06:51 AM

:roll: Recent disappointments:

Agents of SHIELD
SYFY Stan Lee Intern Reality Show
Michael J. Fox Show

To each their own...

Well done:

Castle premiere

Hahma September 27th, 2013 11:23 PM

Had recorded and finally watched the first episode of The Blacklist. Very awesome!

Yodaking September 29th, 2013 11:30 PM

Breaking Bad

Best. Final. Ever.

Hahma October 2nd, 2013 11:43 PM

Watched 2nd episodes of The Blacklist, Chicago Fire and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight. Enjoyed them all.

chas October 5th, 2013 07:55 AM

Using my cable On Demand channel for the first time after Fall premiere week is certainly interesting. I don't usually watch network TV, but this makes it easy to check out the few shows I had any interest in.

The Crazy Ones, starring Mork and Buffy, had two good episodes.

Agents of SHIELD: I thought the second episode much better than the first (and it had a Nick Fury cameo at the end). However, Joss has not yet revealed the most important issue of all time. Did Agent Phil Coulson ever get his Captain America trading cards back (see the film Avengers)!?!

If you are having trouble with a very old remote like I just did, get a new one from your cable company. What a difference! I had lost all the secondary functions (Fast Forward, Pause, Stop- Go Back). I intuited that the new Going All Digital had done this, and it seems that I was right.

Big Bang Theory remains good. I just saw a Clue board game version of it in a store. While I hate these "fake" media tie ins, this one looked funny. It says "Who Betrayed Sheldon? How and Where?" and has that character in a Flash shirt looking over his shoulder at the others in his usual paranoid way! Nyuk Nyuk.

chas October 8th, 2013 08:41 PM

*AGENTS OF SHIELD--SPOILER ALERT EPISODE THREE!*

Obviously someone very close to Joss Whedon read my last email. Agent Coulson has just bitterly revealed that he did not, in fact, get his Captain America trading cards back! A sad answer to my key question.

But at least now we know the truth! Poor Phil.

Arch-vile October 8th, 2013 08:58 PM

Chas, put that in spoiler tags please if it's a spoiler! :) I'm watching episode 3 online tomorrow, I was very disappointed in episode 2. Hopefully some characters die very soon; I really can only stand Ward and May. Coulson is great, of course.

I've been watching TV series on Netflix recently, and I love Sherlock. It's a brilliant modern take on the iconic detective. I watched the pilot of Psych, and laughed the whole time. I'll probably continue with that one for the first season, at least.

heroscaper2010 October 8th, 2013 09:50 PM

Monday
The Blacklist (last week's episode was weaker than the premiere, but this week's episode topped all).
Hostages (this has been consistently good the last three weeks)

Tuesday
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (I liked tonight's epsiode)

Wednesday
Survivor (the Blood vs. Water concept is cool, IMO)
Back In The Game (the first week started out iffy, but last week was good. We'll see about tomorrow)
Duck Dynasty (10-10:30pm is my half-hour of weekly laughter)
Ironside (I liked this one, but does it fill a spot in my weekly shows? :shrug:)

Thursday
None. I should watch The Crazy Ones, but I haven't yet. Could be rest day or catch-up day. :lol:

Friday
Hawaii Five-0 (this one's my favorite show of the week)
Blue Bloods (this is great, too, but I have to admit that Hostages and The Blacklist have gotten me excited. Thank God they're on different sides of the week)

boromir96 October 8th, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1874266)
I watched the pilot of Psych, and laughed the whole time. I'll probably continue with that one for the first season, at least.

Best. Show. Ever. :D

Hahma October 8th, 2013 11:13 PM

Still watching and enjoying The Blacklist and Hostages. Haven't seen the 3rd Agents of SHIELD yet, but maybe tomorrow.

Ninja Status October 10th, 2013 09:32 AM

Still watching Supernatural and am almost done (nearing the end of season 8 ). Also, started watching the 10th season of Grey's Anatomy (don't judge :lol:)

capsocrates October 10th, 2013 10:53 AM

In addition to watching the first three episodes of SHIELD yesterday, I also watched the pilot for Arrow and really enjoyed it. Almost everything I know about Green Arrow and co. I know from C3G books and Army Cards, but it's interesting to see how many characters I already recognize. It's also interesting how similar this intro is to elements from Batman Begins.

The final season of The Office is finally on Netflix, so my wife and I will probably watch those soon.

Tornado October 10th, 2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Status (Post 1874676)
Still watching Supernatural and am almost done (nearing the end of season 8 ). Also, started watching the 10th season of Grey's Anatomy (don't judge :lol:)

Cool. I should have told you to take a break after Season 7.
I thought the way it ended was pretty much perfect, except the very end scene(which of course set up the next season). Though I have enjoyed most of Seasons 8 and 9, they are just not on the same level as Season 7. The LARP episode was great.

chas October 11th, 2013 09:36 AM

Last night I saw the first four episodes of Sleepy Hollow, which an overnight guest pal wanted to see. It was pretty good. My joke was that all the heroes kept carrying guns but fighting mystical enemies, and never got to hurt any of them with the conventional arms. Finally, in the fourth episode, they did!

Only noted two minor historical anachronisms: in the 250 year old hero's speeches he used the modern medical ER term 'triage,' which I doubt was extant in 1776. Also, the Hessians were wearing red coat uniforms, but actually wore deep blue. And why don't they give poor Ichabod Crane himself a new outfit, if they want to pass him off as a modern person aiding the police! That old Revolutionary War era one must smell pretty bad by now...

Saw far more funny other media or mystical references, etc. which made it all the more fun.

(Edit) The New Yorker magazine just reviewed the new TV season. The reviewers favorite show? Sleepy Hollow!

JC McMinis November 5th, 2013 03:00 PM

My current must see TV.
Sleepy Hollow, Dancing with the Stars, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Arrow, Ironside, Elementery and Dracula.

Tornado November 5th, 2013 04:31 PM

Family Affair with Jamie Farr as a hippie. Far out. Dig.

Ninja Status November 18th, 2013 10:20 PM

Does anyone else watch Portlandia? IMO the show is hilarious, Fred Armisen is so freaking funny.

Aldin November 19th, 2013 10:28 AM

Just finished watching the entire run of Eureka. Great start, went off the rails, but solid final episode to close it out. Considering White Collar or Dollhouse next or possibly a re-watch of Firefly.

~Aldin, Netflixly

nyys November 19th, 2013 10:45 AM

One episode to go and I'll be caught up with Shameless. Wow, just... sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me for continuing to watch.

JC McMinis November 26th, 2013 08:14 PM

Has anyone else been watching the new show Almost Human with Karl Urban. First two episodes were great, still have to watch the third.

Yodaking November 26th, 2013 08:25 PM

Yeah I liked the first two. The 3rd episode is pretty much the first Die Hard movie though with a Han Solo line thrown in. I don't mind using some pop culture hits for inspiration every once in a while but I hope they don't over do it.

Hahma November 26th, 2013 09:09 PM

Just watched last night's Blacklist. Wow! Great stuff.

Then watched tonight's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I really enjoy this show.

Ninja Status November 26th, 2013 09:50 PM

Just saw the most recent Family Guy… :(. Sad

Agent Minivann November 27th, 2013 02:09 AM

The kids have been watching Chuck on Netflix, and it I just don't get much out of it. Some of that might be that I'm really looking at the structure of fiction lately (with improving my writing in mind), and it is really on the light side. So we decided to watch the Alias pilot. We didn't see every episode, the pilot included, and it hasn't been since they first aired. Holy crap that is intense. Really looking forward to rewatching the series after that. It was a remarkable contrast to Chuck.

Also I've been going through Breaking Bad for the first time. It's slow going, since it isn't the sort of thing my wife goes for, and I have kids.

jbbnbsmith November 27th, 2013 02:16 AM

Watched all of Breaking Bad on Netflix a month or so ago (finished up on the British Netflix website since it wasn't on the US one yet). Great show.

More recently I watch Derek with Ricky Gervais. A quirky show that was surprisingly warm-hearted and quite moving at times.

I also have been rewatching Portlandia. Something about that show that just cracks me up, even when it's not really that funny.

I've fallen behind in The Blacklist.

Hahma November 27th, 2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Minivann (Post 1888974)
The kids have been watching Chuck on Netflix, and it I just don't get much out of it. Some of that might be that I'm really looking at the structure of fiction lately (with improving my writing in mind), and it is really on the light side. So we decided to watch the Alias pilot. We didn't see every episode, the pilot included, and it hasn't been since they first aired. Holy crap that is intense. Really looking forward to rewatching the series after that. It was a remarkable contrast to Chuck.

Also I've been going through Breaking Bad for the first time. It's slow going, since it isn't the sort of thing my wife goes for, and I have kids.

My family watched and enjoyed Chuck and had watched them all when they aired. We liked it as a light spy spoof.

The wife and I had watched all of Alias episodes when it was first aired, we really liked it. We have season 1 on dvd and my girls and I watched that and they really like it too. We may have to get/rent the other seasons as well. One of those shows that was just fun to watch.

The Blacklist reminds me in some little ways of Alias in a good way. But Blacklist is even more intense and certainly bloodier.

chas November 27th, 2013 08:08 AM

Hahma:

One of the actors on SHIELD is now an unofficial fan made Firefly crew card on bgg! Take a look...

chas November 27th, 2013 11:33 AM

Thanks to the magic of On Demand, I'm watching some network TV for the first time in years. Here's what I'm following:

Agents of SHIELD
Big Bang Theory
Castle
The Crazy Ones
Sleepy Hollow

And elsewhere:

Legend of Korra

chas November 27th, 2013 11:35 AM

SHIELD

This show is a mixed bag so far. But I like what they just did with agent Melinda Mai! I'm reminded of how Joss Whedon wanted Mal Reynolds on Firefly to be very dark, and only redeem him later on, when FOX executives intervened, and turned him a bit lighter, in fact into the Mal we know and love. If you missed the last minute, when Ming Na actually smiled, go back and see it...

Yodaking November 27th, 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas (Post 1889000)
Hahma:

One of the actors on SHIELD is now an unofficial fan made Firefly crew card on bgg! Take a look...

What does this mean?

I have become a big Castle fan too. It really is a well written show and the Castle character is just great. I love all the little Firefly jokes they toss in from time to time.

chas November 27th, 2013 03:19 PM

A photo of one of the SHIELD actors was used as the picture on a fan made Firefly The Game card for a 'Verse character type he needed. You can see it on boardgamegeek.com on the Firefly game thread called Aces and Eights. If you are interested, you might call it an in-joke Joss Whedon crossover.

Fi Skirata November 27th, 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas (Post 1889069)
Thanks to the magic of On Demand, I'm watching some network TV for the first time in years. Here's what I'm following:

Big Bank Theory

A show about theoretical economics! :p

nate the dawg December 25th, 2013 02:07 PM

My lovely wife got me The Five Doctors on DVD for Christmas! I'm so stoked to watch it; I don't think I've seen it since I was like 8 years old!