Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   TV: What Are You Watching? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27342)

Agent Minivann April 18th, 2013 02:10 AM

Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

Naked Castaway. I really enjoy Survivorman, but this one ups the ante by sticking the guy on an island naked. He also has to stay there for a much longer period of time and last the whole season.

boromir96 April 18th, 2013 04:43 PM

Psych and White Collar. I like them both, and they're both pretty different from each other. Just finished Season one of WC.

El T April 22nd, 2013 08:04 PM

Simpsons. Never gets old, gotta stick with the classics. Psych and Top Gear are also good.

Heroscaper Guy April 22nd, 2013 08:13 PM

Probably gonna watch the new episode of Defiance tonight. Gotta say I really liked the pilot and it was very interesting in making a setting that's sort of familiar but not really. Sci-fi is actually making good tv shows again.

chas April 23rd, 2013 05:38 AM

Defiance is certainly a cut above many other shows, and the setting is good and nicely realized, but the characters somehow don't do it for me. Will check out another episode or two.

EternalThanos86 April 23rd, 2013 09:08 PM

Amazon is offering original pilot episodes for several interesting shows including Zombieland. I enjoyed it, although it has a different feel than the movie, and it is impossible to replace Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin. Looking back, you realize how much talent the movie had. Wow!

Amazon Original Pilots

nyys April 23rd, 2013 10:49 PM

Just finished Season 4 of Breaking Bad. Now I just need to get caught up on the current (and final) season before it comes back later this Summer.

Also in the middle of Supernatural Season 7, Nurse Jackie Season 3, and Shameless Season 1.

Hahma April 23rd, 2013 10:53 PM

Mad Men

Chachi April 30th, 2013 10:48 PM

Mad Men and re-watching Breaking Bad.....and I actually scored one of those Breaking Bad Heisenberg jackets that were limited to 500! I'm so stoked!

August is WAY too far away for the finale of Breaking Bad!!!!

Hahma April 30th, 2013 11:30 PM

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Minnesota Wild. Hawks won in OT!:D

Dad_Scaper April 30th, 2013 11:39 PM

Turning the clock back roughly a quarter century and starting Doctor Who. These new episodes look better than I remember the old ones!

XDVincent April 30th, 2013 11:43 PM

So I started Sons of Anarchy about a week ago. I REALLY recommend that you guys watch it. Possibly one of my favorite shows of all time. It's pretty vulgar and violent, just a heads up.

Yodaking April 30th, 2013 11:44 PM

I'm digging the new Defiance show. You can watch episodes for free online too if you forget to watch on tv like me. Other new shows I've been really enjoying are The Americans on FX & Vikings on History. I also try to catch Archer on Thursday nights, that show cracks me up.

Hahma April 30th, 2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaking (Post 1808006)
I'm digging the new Defiance show. You can watch episodes for free online too if you forget to watch on tv like me. Other new shows I've been really enjoying are The Americans on FX & Vikings on History. I also try to catch Archer on Thursday nights, that show cracks me up.

I like Vikings for sure 8)

EternalThanos86 May 1st, 2013 11:07 AM

Tried out Defiance a few days ago. I liked the Pilot which seemed to set up a good amount of foreshadowing for future events. From what I see, this show will be good on an episodic basis (you can jump in at later episodes and still enjoy the show) while also having several overarching plotlines to follow. Not as story driven as BSG and not as non-sequitur as Star Trek.

nyys May 1st, 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 1808002)
Turning the clock back roughly a quarter century and starting Doctor Who. These new episodes look better than I remember the old ones!

Only 20 years for me, as I start up Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Deadeye Dan May 3rd, 2013 01:08 PM

Currently watching lost.

chas June 6th, 2013 12:23 PM

:shock: If you've got Time Warner Cable, go to your Cuttting Edge On Demand/Anime channel for a laugh! Having watched hundreds of Japanese anime, I know what weird is, but this one...

Girls Und Panzer is about those cute high school gals in short skirted sailor uniforms driving around in...World War II tanks! Perfect replica vehiches, too. I don't know what its all about yet, having only seen the first episode, but I'm in for the duration...

Its time for the girls of this high school to go out for "Sensha-Do," (The Way of The Tank?) as a competitive sport. And ask me why the entire town community is apparantely built on...a giant aircraft carrier! Maybe I'll find out next week...

chas June 9th, 2013 09:24 AM

THE MIDNIGHT FANBOY: BIG SCORE IN THE EAST VILLAGE (NYC)

Yesterday, in my first visit to the reopened Kim's Video and Music (www.mondokims.com) I bought two DVD animations which span almost my entire life: one of the first naive cartoons on TV when I was 10 years old--that I've been looking for since the Seventies, and a brand new adult style series done just last year I never even heard about.

1962: Scott McCloud, Space Angel (Collection 1, Remastered Two Thousand Eight) 225 minutes

Join Scott, Taurus, and Crystal as they blast off from space station Evening Star aboard the sleek Starduster, in adventures for the EBI (Earth Bureau of Investigations). Produced 1962-1964, this early 'animation' (with stills by Alex Toth) used the same "Snychro-Vox" system used on Cambria Productions' preceding adventure series Clutch Cargo. Scottish Engineer Taurus may have been the model for Star Trek's Scotty, and the voice actress for Crystal was the original model for Walt Disney's corporate symbol Tinkerbell (Peter Pan). I anxiously awaited each episode in syndication shown on the Wonderama kids television show on NYCs Channel Five, hosted by Sandy Becker or Sonny Fox. Now for the first time since then I get to see them all together, and this time I'll be watching it in glorious color--which our old B&W RCA Victor Console TV couldn't pick up! Who knew?

2012: X-Men, The Marvel Animated Series (Director Fuminori Kizaki) 285 minutes Produced by Superhero Anime Partners, Sony Entertainment (Japan) Inc. and Madhouse, Inc.

The X-Men go to Japan in both plot and production values, in an adult anime style with Professor X, Cyclops, The White Queen, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, and new trainee Armor.

"The thing about the X-Men is, they are all really smart people, but they're all a little bit nuts, in different ways."
--Warren Ellis, writer

Yay! I'm in animation heaven...

Tornado June 9th, 2013 10:33 AM

Nice finds chas. I never heard of either one of those.

How did the schoolgirls in WWII tanks turn out?

ME-TV is running the MASH movie followed by the original TV pilot.

"Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes, and I can take or leave it if I please
"

chas July 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

SUSPENSION

By Glen A. Larson
(Theme to Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, 1979)

Far beyond the world I've known; far beyond my time
What am I? Who am I? What will I be?
Where am I going and what will I see?
Searching my mind for some truths to reveal
What thoughts are fantasy; what mem'ries real?

Long before this life of mine; long before this time
What was there; who came to make it begin?
Is it forever or will it all end?
Searching my past for the things that I've seen
Is it my life or just something I dreamed?

Far before this world I've known; far beyond my time
What kind of world am I going to find?
Will it be real or just all in my mind?
What am I? Who am I? What will I be?
Where am I going and what will I see?

chas July 6th, 2013 12:26 PM

THE FANTASTIC FOUR: 2006 animated series, (One season DVDs; 26 episodes) Faithful to the comics but pitched a bit simplistically for kids, its the one with white fronted uniforms. Enjoyable, especially if you missed most of it like I did when it was on TV. Major villains and hero guest stars. The fourth F.F. animation series on four disks. Major villains and hero guest stars. Four-tunately.

SECRET ORIGINS: THE HISTORY OF DC COMICS (DVD; 1 1/2 hours)
Excellent information which compliments those I've been seeing from the Marvel side on DVD extras, especially with the FF movie. Some of the most famous names of comic creators give their perspectives on the Golden, Silver, and "Modern" Ages.

chas July 6th, 2013 12:49 PM

Because Tornado asked for it:

SPECIAL ANIME UPDATE: "GIRLS UND PANZER"

Weekly episodes 1-5 have appeared so far. Our newly revived High School "Sensha Do" team is made up of five tank crews. After finding the long abandoned tanks of the school's former team in the woods, storage compartments, and even under water, the gals paint them up and get them running with the help of the Vehicle Club.

Our heroine is in the Panzer IV. A low performing, self exiled younger daughter of the most famous "Way of the Tank" family in an alternate/near futuristic Japan first progressed to become the commander of her own tank's crew, and with her superior knowledge of tank handling and tactics, is now the High School's Team Commander.

Her own vehicle crew is composed of:

Our Heroine: living in the shadow of her champion older sister and legendary Tank Master family. Forced onto the tank team by the dreaded, all powerful Student Council, who crews one of the tanks as well, and publicized the sport in a special assembly where school electives are introduced. The Japanese government has decreed a national revival of Tank Sport, and our heroine is the school's only expert. But she's fled the sport, and transferred in because the school didn't have a tank team--until now.

Mature Gal: left her Flower Arranging family to balance her delicate art with some oil and iron, to the extreme displeasure of her mom, who banishes her from the large family dwelling, where her romantic interest serves as family retainer and apprentice.

Popularity Gal: hopes the Way of the Tank will make her more popular, especially with boys. Well, that's what the orientation video said!

Sleepy Gal: She's sour because she just can't wake up in the morning and get to school on time, but is an instinctively ace driver--if the other gals can just wake her up!

Tank Gal: The armor fan girl from the lower freshman class lives with no friends but tank posters, models, and the latest armor magazines. Earnest and expert in Armored Fighting Vehicle trivia, she even spies out the competition!

"Enter, Enter Mission!" So far, the gals did well in their first unofficial match in their odd miscellany of 3 Axis lights, a tank destroyer and an American medium against the polite, tea drinking British team, who drive a Churchill and Matilda IIs--being just aced out by the experienced British for the win. While our Japanese team has the theme of the series as their musical background, for these red uniformed Brits, its "March of the British Grenadier." After this "Total Annihilation" mission where the entire enemy team must be eliminated, her admiring British opponents send her a gift of tea. But now our gals are in an official World Competition Combat Match playing knock out the enemy flag (command) tank. But they must fight the rich, American 10 tank team, who has plenty more tanks in their motorpool, as well as their own luxury camp trucks for a restaurant, hair salon, and spa. These tournament favorites drive all Sherman variants, from the basic M4A1 to the Sherman Firefly, as "Battle Hymn of the Republic" blares in the background.

You can actually learn about tank tactics and the relative performance of the various WWII vehicle types by watching this series. The girls have lunch in a Tank Cafe with military uniformed waitresses, where tank shaped pastries are delivered on a miniature tank repair flatbed 'dragon wagon,' and visit a Tank Store to buy personal touches for the inside of their carbon reinforced vehicles. In matches, live ammo explodes around them until a white flag pops up after a vehicle is effectively hit, and the casualty is towed away for maintenance on a tank carrier. Will Our Heroine use her expert knowledge to lead her team, overcome her inferiority complex, and beat her snooty older sister at her own game?

Come to think of it, with their shorter stature and superior female reflexes, high school gals might actually make good tank crews in real life! But don't worry; it can happen only in the wacky world of Japanese anime...so far. "Panzer Vor!" (Panzers Forward!)

(Edit): I've caught two military media references so far. Saunders University High, the American styled school, is of course named after Vic Morrow's character in the TV show Combat! Sergeant Saunders. And Odd Ball, a name used as an alias, is the name of the Donald Sutherland character in Kelly's Heroes.

(Edit) Notes From The Midnight Fanboy

Check out the wikipedia article. GUP is from last year, and has 12 Episodes, Manga, OVAs, and a sequel movie coming up next year. Its been licensed in the USA, and will probably be out here in a month, when the TV showing ends. In the real life town in Japan where it takes place, a series related event has become part of a local festival, which included "live tank demonstrations and sales of Anime products." Ya gotta love media tie-ins!

(Edit)
Military buffs will love this one. You even learn how tank gunner's use their reticule for estimating distance! On the other hand, some of the girls have no clue:

Our Heroine: "All right! Panzer Vor!"
Popularity Gal: "Panties do what now?"
Tank Gal: "'Panzer Vor' means 'All tanks move out!'"

Tornado July 6th, 2013 01:05 PM

Very weird and cool at the same time.
Thank you for sharing. I need to look for that one. :)

Hahma July 10th, 2013 11:22 PM

Watched most of the first episode of a new show called "The Bridge" on FX network tonight. Didn't care for it. Kind of crappy acting, writing and just blah and didn't care for the characters or story. One of the main characters is the American detective in El Paso and she was quirky and annoying. The other main character was the Mexican detective from Juarez, Mexico, and he was okay.

flameslayer93 July 16th, 2013 08:08 PM

Who's line is it anyway?

Guess they're rebooting it. :lol:

Hahma July 16th, 2013 08:15 PM

Been watching Season 1 of Alias with my daughters. They're really digging it :)

chas July 21st, 2013 10:01 AM

Rewatching Into the West, a nicely historical Dramedy from 2005 on DVD. Interestingly, a pal from Calgary, Canada just came to visit for the first time in about 15 years. Yesterday, while waiting for him to show up, I started watching it, and guess where it was filmed? That's right, Calgary. In fact, there is a scene where the Indians drive a herd of Buffalo off a cliff...

Now, I don't know exactly where that scene was filmed, but I still have the T-Shirt from a Blackfoot tribal sacred site up there. I love to see the reaction to the shirt when I wear it, as someone will often say its too nasty, and I'll reply "Well, that's the Indian name for it." The T-Shirt shows a progression of buffalo running and then leaping off a cliff. The name of the place:

HEAD SMASHED IN BUFFALO JUMP

PS: I recall that while I was there some Native American women working the computerized cash register at the souvenir shop started having trouble with their machine. I said "You know, they say that computers supposedly have problems working at sacred sites." Well, its true--and boy, did they look at me funny.

Only in (North) America!

Hahma July 23rd, 2013 10:33 PM

The wife and I caught up on a couple episodes of Mad Men we had recorded. Still have a few more recorded to watch. Incredible show.

Agent Minivann July 24th, 2013 02:03 AM

I decided to give Doctor Who a try, so I watched the first Christopher Eccleston episode. I'm kind of meh about it right now, but I'll give it a few more to see if it is just a case of taking a few episodes for the show to get its legs.

I'm doing it mostly to give it a fair shake. My late teen niece occasionally goes on a Doctor Who meme posting binge on Facebook. I find it annoying, but harmless. Trying to see if the show is worth that level of excitement, or if it's just a teenager thinking her favorite thing in the world is THE ultimate thing in the world.

Balantai July 24th, 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Minivann (Post 1847983)
I decided to give Doctor Who a try, so I watched the first Christopher Eccleston episode. I'm kind of meh about it right now, but I'll give it a few more to see if it is just a case of taking a few episodes for the show to get its legs.

I'm doing it mostly to give it a fair shake. My late teen niece occasionally goes on a Doctor Who meme posting binge on Facebook. I find it annoying, but harmless. Trying to see if the show is worth that level of excitement, or if it's just a teenager thinking her favorite thing in the world is THE ultimate thing in the world.

Dr. Who is in my top favorite tv shows of all time. I think you need to be a fan of sci-fi though. The writing for the show is always top notch.

Tornado July 24th, 2013 11:03 AM

Agreed Balantai.

I can see how it might be difficult to get into it at this point. I grew up on Dr. Who and knowing so much about his history brings an extra level of cool when he encounters enemies from his past.
They have done a great job of mixing both new and old foes(with new twists). I think the best part(besides Karen Gillan) is how much focus is put on the companions now. They become almost more important then the Doctor at times.

If you can check out some old episodes of the fourth Doctor(Tom Baker, I believe), the dude with a scarf and 'jelly babies'. He was amazing and battled many of the same foes the new Doctors face. The first Doctor was a bit gruff but two and three were both pretty cool. If you can find any episodes that contain multiple versions of Who at the same time, check them out too.

K-9 rules!

Yodaking July 24th, 2013 12:48 PM

I like the new avatar and sig T-Spinny! Didn't realize you were old enough to have grown up on the original Dr. Who, or did you grow up watching the reruns?

I'm so-so on the modern Dr. Who, who is my only knowledge of the character. I can watch an episode every once in a while if I come across it while flipping channels but I don't tune in regularly. I like certain Dr.s & Companions better than others. My daughter however has become a huge Who fan and watches marathons of the show with her friend. She tells me that I would like it more if I sat down and watched a bunch of episodes in a row rather then the random selection I have seen out of order on TV. My nephew is also a fan and turned my sister in law in a fan as well and none of them have ever watched the older Doctors. I think for me some of the poor quality special effects and absurd villains (slowly moving trash cans?) hold it back. I look at what Lucas accomplished in 1977 and wonder why the BBC can't do as well or better in 2007.

Balantai July 24th, 2013 01:07 PM

I have also only seen the modern Dr. Who episodes. I would also agree with your daughter. Each season typically has an overarching story that climaxes with the final few episodes. Watching episodes sporadically will hurt the overall enjoyment of the show, IMO.

I was fortunate the get introduced by someone who was already a huge Dr. Who fan. It was in 2010 that I began watching. He knew that I wouldn't really like the first Doctor (after reboot) and pushed me to keep watching until David Tennant took over. That's when I really fell in love with the show. David was incredibly charismatic and relationship between him and his companion was awesome.

Tornado July 24th, 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaking (Post 1848084)
I like the new avatar and sig T-Spinny! Didn't realize you were old enough to have grown up on the original Dr. Who, or did you grow up watching the reruns?

Thanks YK. I needed some Serenity. :)

Yes, I am old. 40 on Saturday. :)

We only got 4 stations when I was a kid, with PBS being one. I learned a lot from Sesame Street and fell in love with Doctor Who.

I went over to a friend's house when I was 16 and his dad was watching Who in the front living room. I plopped down on the couch and watched it with him. My friend came out of his room about 20 minutes later and gave me a wtf look, classic.

I have enjoyed all of the new Doctors, thinking no one could top the last but they do. The companions are were its at though for me. Loved Rose but she fell to a distant second after one look at Amelia Pond.

I think some of the cheesy effects are on purpose and an homage to the original. It was amazing PBS was even able to make Doctor Who on their budget.

You have to watch the old Davros episode, he created the Daleks.
Exterminate!!

Darth Vader July 24th, 2013 05:18 PM

The only current TV show I'm watching right now is Whose Line is it Anyway, and I will be watching the 4th Duck Dynasty when it airs in August.

Aside from those, the only stuff I watch anymore other than sports/sports related programming are Seinfeld reruns, The Sopranos via DVD and Rescue Me via Netflix.

Yodaking July 24th, 2013 05:45 PM

I just recently finished watching seasons 1 & 2 on DVD of a show called Intelligence. It is based in Vancouver and is about the Canadians trying to build up their own spy service. Their is quite a bit I liked about it with many different plot lines being juggled in the air, but it never quite made it into the great category. A few plot lines/characters just seemed to disappear without the proper resolution. Also the 'kingpin' characters storyline suffers from some poor writing in a few spots as he is suppose to be this big shot but then makes amateur mistakes as if he is new to the game. Still even with those complaints, I thought is was better than that Homeland show all the critics were raving about.

boromir96 July 30th, 2013 08:30 AM

Lost (just finished episode 3 :D)
Psych (just finished season 3)
Smallville (almost done with season one, yes its old, but I enjoy superhero movies/tv shows. :p)

Ninja Status July 30th, 2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boromir96 (Post 1850237)
Smallville (almost done with season one, yes its old, but I enjoy superhero movies/tv shows. :p)

Of what season? I'm watching Lost and am starting season 5. Also watching Homeland which is a pretty good show, the only problem is waiting for the next season to come out on DVD.

chas July 30th, 2013 10:09 AM

Lois and Clark: I just managed to find the third and fourth seasons on DVD, and am now rewatching the first two seasons, which I haven't seen in quite some time.

boromir96 July 30th, 2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Status (Post 1850283)
Quote:

Of what season?

1 :lol:

nate the dawg July 30th, 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Oh, I love some Smallville...even if it is a bit cheesy. It has some of the best season-ending cliffhangers ever. Mmmm...Erica Durance...:drool:

Lost is a great ride. Enjoy it.

I've been sticking with Falling Skies the past few summers. The acting pretty good, though the dialogue has been kind or hit-or-miss this season, and the writing seems to be going downhill (overly predictable).

Ninja Status August 13th, 2013 03:42 AM

I just finished watching the television series- Bored to Death. Considering it only lasted 3 seasons it wasn't too bad:). Waiting for season 3 of Shameless to come out on DVD is taking some time, judging by the releases of the first and second seasons it looks like this one won't be out till early December.

ollie August 29th, 2013 05:29 PM

Started working through Battlestar Galactica a while ago. Now about halfway through Season 2. I vaguely remember the original show, but more for an aura of cool spaceshipness rather than any plot.

I'm enjoying it, but don't get the reviews that rave about the dialogue and intricacy (West Wing in space, I think I read somewhere, which it's nowhere near). Nothing wrong with the set-ups or the dialogue, but it's not yet striking me as especially nuanced and/or powerful.

Is it wrong to be rooting for the Cylons? Why can't machines think/feel/choose? If they only do some of these things, or do them in different ways to humans, is that so bad? I hope that they explore this more (they're already starting to) as it progresses.

And I know that all sci-fi, especially good sci-fi, says a whole lot more about the time and place in which it was written than the future, but there is something overwhelmingly American about it, moreso than many other shows (including those American shows set in contemporary America), or at least it's striking me more than in those shows. Not a good or bad thing, but something that stuck out for me, possibly more as a non-American living in the US.

Other things I like: all the smoking, Gaius, lack of gender division in the bathrooms and such, the way the (non-humanoid) Cylons look, the big telephones and crackly radio,...

Sorry, all a bit 2005 I'm sure, but I'm having fun.

Ninja Status August 29th, 2013 09:12 PM

@ollie

I just finished watching Battle Star Galactica for the second time and it was once again a fantastic show. One tip however, I recommend not watching any of the short movies that are included after the series. They're not really all that exciting and IMO don't make any sense.
:2cents:

On the other hand I just started watching Supernatural and now that I am nearing the end of season 2 it seems that it is getting more and more boring. It seems now that all they are doing is traveling across country vs. in season one 1 they were actually hunting down and killing spirits and demons.

Tornado August 30th, 2013 07:41 AM

You may interested in this ollie. It is a suggested viewing order for Battlestar.

Stick with Supernatural NS. It just keeps getting better(except the last season, which is still good).

ollie August 31st, 2013 12:02 PM

Thanks both. Good timing with that advice, Tornado. I'm just coming up to the point where it first recommends doing something out of broadcast order (not sure I'm going to go with it though as it requires remembering to hit mute a couple of times for a few seconds to avoid spoilers---I don't trust myself to manage that successfully!).

Technically, I suppose I could have done with this advice a while ago when I thought that the beginning of Season 1 was the appropriate place to start. But that ship has sailed.

Crixus33 August 31st, 2013 05:53 PM

I've been watching White Collar, almost done with all episodes on Netflix. A decent criminal detective series. Probably what I like most about it though is that each case isn't another murder like in other crime investigation series (i.e. Psych and Monk though I love both those shows).