Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   TV: What Are You Watching? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27342)

IAmBatman December 25th, 2015 10:15 PM

Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

It's a great one for sure. Probably about my #3 all time.

Hahma December 25th, 2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2064171)
Heh. Done that a few times. :)

I had to watch some Firefly on NetFlix.

The opening credits/theme still gives me chills.

Still my all time favorite show.

Opening of Firefly or The Walking Dead? I've never seen Firefly before, but the opening of TWD is pretty chilling to me.

IAmBatman December 25th, 2015 10:58 PM

You've never seen Firefly?? That's another one for your Netflix bucket list. :-D

Ninja Status December 25th, 2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2064177)
You've never seen Firefly?? That's another one for your Netflix bucket list. :-D

I reacted the same way when I found out my English teacher has never seen The Goonies, Forest Gump, or Sandlot.
:p

Dysole December 25th, 2015 11:50 PM

Tears

Doctor Who Christmas special. I'm not crying. My eyes are just sweating.

~Dysole, who didn't realize that's where the episode was going to go

Yodaking December 26th, 2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2064177)

Yeah, I'd move it to the very top. Only the one season plus the movie so not as big of a time commitment as some shows would be and better then almost everything else.

Dysole December 26th, 2015 02:04 AM

Unpopular Opinion?

I really enjoy Firefly but think having only one season has actually improved both its quality and perception. If you look at some of Whedon's other works there are patterns that make me think future seasons of Firefly would not be as good as the fans would hope for.

~Dysole, who would not object to more seasons

Tornado December 26th, 2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 2064176)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2064171)
Heh. Done that a few times. :)

I had to watch some Firefly on NetFlix.

The opening credits/theme still gives me chills.

Still my all time favorite show.

Opening of Firefly or The Walking Dead? I've never seen Firefly before, but the opening of TWD is pretty chilling to me.

Firefly.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me

Take me out into the black
Tell 'em I aint comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea

Have no place I can be
Since I found Serenity

Watch Firefly next Hahma. It goes quick, unfortunately. You will be left feeling a bit hollow but then watch the movie sequel Serenity for some closure. There are comics also if you want a little more Firefly.

IAmBatman December 26th, 2015 10:35 AM

Re: Unpopular Opinion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysole (Post 2064187)
I really enjoy Firefly but think having only one season has actually improved both its quality and perception. If you look at some of Whedon's other works there are patterns that make me think future seasons of Firefly would not be as good as the fans would hope for.

I agree, actually. I'm pretty satisfied with the amount of Firefly we got when you include the movie.

On the other hand, I thought Dollhouse was just starting to show potential when it ended.

Buffy, meanwhile, I couldn't get through her first year of college, but loved the high school stuff. Angel didn't really work for me from the beginning.

Hahma December 26th, 2015 10:55 AM

I will look into Firefly next fellas. There are guys in my game group that are huge fans of the show, so at least if I watch it, I'll likely understand references to it on game night :)

Tornado December 26th, 2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2064207)
Quote:

I agree, actually. I'm pretty satisfied with the amount of Firefly we got when you include the movie.

On the other hand, I thought Dollhouse was just starting to show potential when it ended.

Buffy, meanwhile, I couldn't get through her first year of college, but loved the high school stuff. Angel didn't really work for me from the beginning.

I always liked Angel but that may have had more to do with Charisma Carpenter and Amy Acker. :)

I started watching Buffy much later but mostly the later seasons.

I would have loved to see Dollhouse and especially Firefly go a few more seasons.

Agents of Shield really shows how well Whedon can develop a bunch of cast members over time.

japes December 26th, 2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmBatman (Post 2064207)
Quote:

I do recall the first year in college season was tough but I remember it picking up later and enjoyed some of the last seasons.

chas December 26th, 2015 06:47 PM

Firefly The Game

Watch the show
Play the game
You'll see they're almost the same
Add the expansions with glee
Play Kalidasa with me
Play Kalidasa with me

Hahma December 27th, 2015 07:26 PM

Watched the first 2 episodes of Firefly. I like it so far.

Tornado December 28th, 2015 07:16 AM

Cool.
Being a double episode, the first one moves a bit slow but does a great job of introducing the characters.
Fox in their infinite wisdom deemed it unworthy and insisted a new opener be shot, the result being the Train Job.
That is about the only blunder they made(like airing episodes out of order) that had a positive as the Train Job is one of my favorite episodes and introduces my favorite villain in the series, Niska.
Look forward to a pre-Mad Men Christina Hendricks. :drool:

Hahma December 28th, 2015 08:09 AM

Well I skipped the Serenity episode because a friend suggested to watch it last. So now I have watched The Train Job, Bushwacked, and saw Shindig last night.

So far so good.

Tornado December 28th, 2015 09:34 AM

Hmm.
I would suggest going back and watching the first episode.
I do not see the benefit of watching it last.

Fox aired the first episode last and I found it to be jarring.

However, if you are going to read the comic that bridges the TV series and the movie Serenity, I could see watching the first episode last because a character returns in the comic from the first episode.

Lord Pyre December 28th, 2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 2064341)
Well I skipped the Serenity episode because a friend suggested to watch it last. So now I have watched The Train Job, Bushwacked, and saw Shindig last night.

So far so good.

Yeah that's just weird. The first episode kind of explains everything including what's going on with river and such. No reason to skip the introduction to everything. Go back and watch :p

Hahma December 28th, 2015 12:09 PM

Sounds like I had gotten some bad advice. I will go back and watch Serenity before any more episodes.

The way the explained it to me, Serenity was kind of a stand alone movie that would work for people that hadn't seen the series,

Dysole December 28th, 2015 12:35 PM

Clarity

That's because Serenity is both the name of the first episode and the movie that takes place after the series.

~Dysole, figuring that's where the confusion cane from

Aldin December 28th, 2015 12:38 PM

Yes, watch the movie last and the episode early.

~Aldin, who watched everything in order and was very pleased

IAmBatman December 28th, 2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 2064387)
Yes, watch the movie last and the episode early.

~Aldin, who watched everything in order and was very pleased

This. Yeah, the movie is definitely the capper.

Hahma December 28th, 2015 02:20 PM

So was the Serenity episode a double one? It's 1st in order on Netflix, but has like an hour and twenty minutes in length. I started it and saw the battle of Serenity Valley.

Dysole December 28th, 2015 02:47 PM

Yep

Just checked it on my Netflix. Yes, that is an extra long episode.

~Dysole, trying to help

Hahma December 28th, 2015 04:03 PM

Thanks D, I'll have to go back then and check that out.

Curses!

chas December 28th, 2015 10:41 PM

Most people think part of the reason the series failed was that Serenity (the TV episode) was not shown first as intended, since it introduces everyone. It wasn't going to be shown, but when Fox cancelled the show, Josh said "Nuts, let's show them the pilot."

I had to watch it in the original order back then of course, but introduce other people by watching Serenity first, especially since they usually only have time for a single episode at my place!

Agent Minivann December 29th, 2015 12:57 AM

I watched the series on Netflix in order, and I don't feel like my viewing experience was the worse for it. I can't honestly think of any reason not to watch in that order.

Hahma December 29th, 2015 07:04 AM

Okay, watched the first extra long episode and then continued where I left off. Finished up through episode 6, and may hit episode 7 tonight.

I get that part of the allure is the space meets western theme, but it's still kind of odd that 500 years from now, people settling these planets chose to model everything after the late 19th century. :)

Tornado December 29th, 2015 08:38 AM

That is only on the off worlds.

The Alliance planets are very modern and sci-fi-y, which you will see in one episode.

The Firefly crew rarely goes to civilized, Alliance controlled areas.

Hahma December 29th, 2015 09:19 AM

Yeah, I've seen the civilized and modern parts, but even on the off worlds, it doesn't make sense. I get it that it's the steampunky schtick, but this is 500 years in the future, and it's not like us even now would go to another planet and start dressing like cowboys, pioneers or Victorian style.

That said, it's cool and all, and I like it. But it still doesn't make sense :)

Tornado December 30th, 2015 10:59 AM

Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Completely awesome. Not sure how long they can keep it up, but it will be fun while it lasts.

Hahma January 6th, 2016 09:34 PM

Watched Chronicles of Shannara tonight with my girls.

It's a series on MTV that started last night. It's on from 9 to 10:30 central time on Tuesday nights.

While it's no A Game of Thrones, it was pretty neat.

Agent Minivann January 7th, 2016 12:07 AM

I'm really enjoying The Expanse. Episode 5 was on last night. I really need to track down a copy of the books

Tornado January 7th, 2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 2065726)

It's a series on MTV that started last night. It's on from 9 to 10:30 central time on Tuesday nights.

Have you read the books?
I believe I read the first three but long ago.
I heard the series is based on the second book, Elfstones of Shanara.

Hahma January 7th, 2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2065759)
Quote:

Have you read the books?

I never read the books. I have read a lot of fantasy books, but never the for some reason. An old friend had messaged about the series, so I figured I'd check it out and I know it's something my girls would dig.

Yeah, it's based on the second book.

Aldin January 7th, 2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Minivann (Post 2065743)
I'm really enjoying The Expanse. Episode 5 was on last night. I really need to track down a copy of the books

They're very readable, though I just gave up on the series partway through book 5. There's only so much coincidental "right place, right time" stuff I can handle.

~Aldin, you know - unless I get all fanboyish like I do with Honor Harrington

Yodaking January 7th, 2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 2065763)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2065759)
Quote:

Have you read the books?

I never read the books. I have read a lot of fantasy books, but never the for some reason. An old friend had messaged about the series, so I figured I'd check it out and I know it's something my girls would dig.

Yeah, it's based on the second book.

I was wondering what the TV show would be based on as I read a bunch of the book way back when. I seem to recall liking the early series but then some of the later books grew stale and I stopped. The later ones jumped several generations though so I assumed the TV show would just follow the early books at most. I was meaning to check out the show, thanks for reminding me that it has started. I don't normally watch Mtv, a bit concerned with them in charge.

Tornado January 7th, 2016 12:22 PM

That is my memory as well YK.
The first book(Sword of Shannara) was very good, very LotR.
The second(Elfstones) jumped ahead and was still good.
The third(Wishsong) jumped again and was lackluster. I am not sure if I finished that one or not but I know it was the last one I read.

Hahma January 7th, 2016 10:28 PM

Since I picked up on Arrow sometime I'm the second season, and my girls only saw the third season, they asked to start to watch it from the beginning of season one on Netflix.

So we watched the first couple episodes and they were really good. I think some of the stuff I came into when u first started watching it was when there was a lot of soap opera drama going on, so that part wasn't the greatest. But the Deathlock stuff was good and last season was good. So hopefully, starting from scratch will be good. So far so good.

Tornado January 8th, 2016 09:01 AM

Arrow really went up and down for me.
I thought the current season has been the best and I am looking forward to the end of the island flashbacks. I hope they start doing flashbacks for lesser characters. They did that for Deadshot and it was one of my favorite episodes.
I could not stand Laurel up until the end of last season. Thea is awesome.

Really looking forward to Legends as it features pretty much my favorite characters from Flash and Arrow.

chas January 8th, 2016 09:26 AM

Tornado,

Which characters are featured in Legends? I went by a giant poster in the subway and they looked very colorful, but I didn't have time to take a closer look!

Tornado January 8th, 2016 09:42 AM

Led by time traveler Rip Hunter(Arthur Darvill; Rory from Dr. Who).
The Legends of Tomorrow take on Vandal Savage throughout time. They are:
Atom(Ray Palmer), White Canary(Sara Lance), Captain Cold, Heat Wave, Firestorm(Dr. Stein & Jefferson Jackson), Hawkman & Hawkgirl.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...793_SY355_.jpg

Caity Lotz(White Canary) is my favorite, followed by Atom(he was never a good fit for Arrow, way more of a Flash character), Captain Cold, Dr. Stein and Hawkgirl.
Interested to see how Rip Hunter turns out.

IAmBatman January 8th, 2016 11:23 AM

Yeah, I really hope Legends of Tomorrow makes its way to Netflix like Arrow and Flash have. Some great characters there.

capsocrates January 9th, 2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Oh neat. Sounds fun. The fantasy series that could really use this kind of treatment is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Quote:

Sounds refreshing to me. The aura around Game of Thrones is way too politics-oriented to sound exciting at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 2065819)
That is my memory as well YK.
The first book(Sword of Shannara) was very good, very LotR.
The second(Elfstones) jumped ahead and was still good.
The third(Wishsong) jumped again and was lackluster. I am not sure if I finished that one or not but I know it was the last one I read.

I would disagree that any of them are "very good" (I would say "very derivative", and Brooks can't compete with Tolkien for prose or poetry) but they are fun reads.

Agent Minivann January 9th, 2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 2066208)
Quote:

Oh neat. Sounds fun. The fantasy series that could really use this kind of treatment is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

They nailed the pacing on the pilot.

Yodaking January 10th, 2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Minivann (Post 2066214)
Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 2066208)
Quote:

They nailed the pacing on the pilot.

I would agree with that. They didn't waste a lot of time showing him searching the room and finding the letter and reading them, he just does it off screen. A lot of the traveling between locations took days if not weeks too but they just zipped along to each event.

Hahma January 10th, 2016 10:49 PM

Been binge watching season 1 of Arrow on Netflix with my daughters and have gotten to episode 14.

Since I had only started watching in mid season 2 and my daughters started watching in season 3, it is nice for us to see the early episodes that set the table for where we started watching it. I totally dig the flashbacks now and it's nice to see how wimpy he was at first on the island.

I also like the early relationship between Oli and Digs, as well as all the family stuff that played out early on.

Good stuff and the show gets much more props from me as a whole after seeing how things evolved.

Hahma January 15th, 2016 06:59 AM

The girls and I finished season 1 of Arrow last night, and watched Episode 1 of season 2.

I must say, that season 1 was great. It also makes the rest of what I've seen (mid season 2 on for me, and season 3 for the girls) much better.

I also watched The Blacklist, still enjoy that show.

Recorded The Colony. See how that one goes.