Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   TV (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   TV: What Are You Watching? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=27342)

chas June 6th, 2014 10:59 AM

Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

:shock: Enemy At the Gates was very good. A Russian pal pointed out a small inaccuracy when a T34/85 was shown wrecked in the background, and he noted that these had not been put into production yet, and it should have been a T34/76. But so what--it was great!

chas June 8th, 2014 06:58 AM

If you are interested in the best new books about the US experience in WWII, The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson is superb; he won the Pulitzer Prize for volume one:

An Army At Dawn (the North African campaign)

The Day of Battle (Italy)

The Guns At Last Light (France and Germany)

Tornado June 8th, 2014 09:42 AM

Thanks chas.

I have been on an Australian kick lately and started watching:
H2O: Just add Water.
If you like Charmed, you should enjoy this. Instead of three sisters that are witches, it is three friends as mermaids.

chas June 12th, 2014 07:46 AM

Beware the Batman, on Adult Swim On Demand (Cartoon Channel). Its that kind of 3D computer animation I don't like. But there's Katana...

jbbnbsmith June 12th, 2014 05:35 PM

Finished watching a few things recently. The History Channel mini-series "The World Wars", season 2 of "Derek", and the first two seasons of "An Idiot Abroad"

Currently enjoying "America's Got Talent" and "The Ultimate Fighter"

JC McMinis July 2nd, 2014 10:36 AM

Has anyone else watched Crossbones. Ive watched the first one and have the rest on my DVR. I thought it was really well done. John Malkovich is awesome as a Blackbeard.

Alex Karasavidis July 10th, 2014 12:12 PM

Just watched AMC's Walking Dead.

Tornado July 10th, 2014 12:52 PM

I also caught up on TWD. I only saw the first two seasons so it was cool to watch the rest in a marathon. I kept hearing Walkers at my sliding glass door but it ended up being vibrations from fireworks. It added some nice ambiance though. :)

Alex Karasavidis July 10th, 2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1951982)
I also caught up on TWD. I only saw the first two seasons so it was cool to watch the rest in a marathon. I kept hearing Walkers at my sliding glass door but it ended up being vibrations from fireworks. It added some nice ambiance though. :)

One day they may not be fireworks;)

Hahma July 10th, 2014 09:27 PM

Watched the American Heroes Channel "Against the Odds" episode called Bloody George, about George Company of the 1st Marine Division at the Chosin Reservoir in the Korean War.

Some brave heroes there for sure.

JC McMinis July 17th, 2014 01:22 PM

Been watching The Musketeers on BBC America

ParaGoomba Slayer July 18th, 2014 02:22 AM

A little bit of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

chas July 25th, 2014 11:15 PM

Space Rangers (1992), one of the most obscure SF TV series; only 6 episodes were made and only 4 aired. Too bad; because its a lot of fun. SR was the first TV show to use CGI, by Industrial Light and Magic!

heroscaper2010 August 18th, 2014 07:44 PM

The Last Ship

Besides 24 (as to be expected), this has been the best show of the summer. Season Finale is next week (Sunday).

As far as upcoming shows due out this fall, Arrow is on Season 3 and Flash is starting Season 1. My brother and I caught up on Arrow, and I'm super excited for Season 3.

Tornado August 20th, 2014 06:11 PM

Doctor Who(1963) Season One.
Retro TV just picked this up in prime time. Original Doctor! Very cool as I had only seen one episode with the first Doctor. The biggest bummer is that I discovered it after the first appearance of the Daleks. I wonder how many years it will be before they cycle back to the beginning?
Pretty cool. I guess editing was so difficult that the episodes were filmed 'live'. They do a pretty good job if it is all done with single takes. Each episode is apparently made for a half hour time slot with a cliff hanger ending. Story arcs can vary in episode length.

chas August 21st, 2014 09:29 AM

I don't know if they are still there, but a couple of months ago was a big Dr. Who anniversary, and they had background material and sample episodes of all the Doctors on BBC America On Demand. I filled in a lot of holes. My favorite was always the first doctor broadcast in the US, the one with the big scarf--but that's going back a ways!

Tornado August 21st, 2014 04:30 PM

Me too. Tom Baker, the fourth doctor was incredible and none could hold a candle to him until the new series IMO. I did like both the second and third Doctors. The third was unique as he actually fought at times at was trained in Venusian(?) Martial Arts.
The fourth Doctor actually had two scarfs(scarves?). One was smaller that he used if the larger one was getting hung up in the set. Jellybaby?

It looks like Memorable TV is picking up the original Superman series to lead their Saturday line up which is followed by Batman, Wonder Woman and Start Trek.

Tornado August 25th, 2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1963215)
Doctor Who(1963) Season One.
Retro TV just picked this up in prime time. Original Doctor! Very cool as I had only seen one episode with the first Doctor. The biggest bummer is that I discovered it after the first appearance of the Daleks. I wonder how many years it will be before they cycle back to the beginning?

They have a two hour slot for Dr. Who on Saturday and to my amazement what did they play but the first appearance of the Daleks. It started on episode 4 of 7 but at least I got to see them. Awesomesauce.
The original Doctor and his companions are starting to grow on me.

Tonight at the local cinema they are playing the newest episode of Dr. Who with some special extras. I am going to try to make it. I imagine Jenna Coleman will light up the big screen. :)

chas August 25th, 2014 02:04 PM

Tornado:
Beautiful Dr. Who women? Romanatrevelundor to you!

Tornado August 25th, 2014 02:24 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a_I_and_II.png

ollie August 25th, 2014 04:27 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tor_Who%29.jpg

[Disclaimer: My judgement may be slightly corrupted by nostalgia for 1988 or so]

chas August 26th, 2014 12:14 PM

Last night I saw an amazing five hour documentary on the American Heroes Channel (formerly The Military Channel, but what can you do)? WWI Apocalypse did such a good job on the restored and colorized old film footage that I couldn't believe it. At first I thought they were actually reenactments! I have the old WWI In Color, which also stunned me a few years ago, but this is so far ahead of that it appearned as if of the old personages from a century ago had actually been filmed recently. Wow. I learned a few new things too.

Elven Lord August 27th, 2014 09:37 AM

Ya'll will probably think I have no life, but I'm actually watching Gregorian Chant as sung by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos. It is really quite beautiful. Even if you're not Catholic I think you could appreciate its cultural merit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwcG3mYo5Kk

Tornado August 31st, 2014 06:19 PM

One Step Beyond(1959)
Much like Twilight Zone but based on actual events.

I woke up to Family Affair and Leave it to Beaver. "Hey Wally"

Tornado September 2nd, 2014 02:59 PM

Cheers and MASH pilot episodes. Both awesome.
Karen Phillip as Nurse 'Dish' was absolutely gorgeous. Really unfortunate she was only in one other episode. In the pilot she is right next to Hawkeye in the opening scene. In all future opening credits she is cut out. You can see her just starting to appear over Hawkeye's shoulder when they cut away.

Continuing with the original Doctor Who and I am liking it more and more. The first Doctor is quite the character. I always thought of him as this stuffy, stern, crass fellow, and he totally is but he also spends a good amount of time giggling to himself about the strangest things and can be quite the wise-acre. He is really growing on me and so are his companions. Vicki who replaced the Doctor's granddaughter Susan is very pleasant and is both attractive and quite intelligent.
From a recent promo it looks like they have acquired the rights to the entire original series which means years and years of classic Who. Excellent.

ParaGoomba Slayer September 5th, 2014 02:18 AM

Someone explained the plot of Dr. Who to me once. After his description of it I dismissed it outright. Not a big fan of intentionally corny things.

Daria. It's alright.

The Adventures of Pete and Pete. Great show.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Great show, waiting on the second series to come in the mail.

chas September 5th, 2014 05:10 AM

PGS,

Do you play Superscape? Fallen Templar made a card for Major Motoko Kusanagi, which I've modified and had out on the board once.

Tornado September 5th, 2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer (Post 1967484)
Someone explained the plot of Dr. Who to me once. After his description of it I dismissed it outright. Not a big fan of intentionally corny things.

Considering the show started in 1963 and is going even stronger today, I tend to embrace instead of dismiss the fact they are still loyal to the source material. I also loved the show from the first time I saw it in the 80s. To each his own.

Is there another show with 50 years of history?

ParaGoomba Slayer September 9th, 2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas (Post 1967496)
PGS,

Do you play Superscape? Fallen Templar made a card for Major Motoko Kusanagi, which I've modified and had out on the board once.

No. I'm an all official, non-Marvel and non-D&D scape player. Give me a link to the superscape rules though, I'll check them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1967557)
Quote:

Considering the show started in 1963 and is going even stronger today, I tend to embrace instead of dismiss the fact they are still loyal to the source material. I also loved the show from the first time I saw it in the 80s. To each his own.

Quality, not quantity. :D

capsocrates September 9th, 2014 02:28 PM

Been watching Veronica Mars with my wife. We're a few episodes in to Season 2. Kind of like a cross between a 21st-century Nancy Drew (so, there's sex, and it's more gritty) and something like Parenthood or One Tree Hill (neither of which I've watched much of, so my comparison could be flawed).

chas September 9th, 2014 02:38 PM

PGS:

I don't do links; but you'll find everying in Marvelscape: C3G Project.

Tornado September 9th, 2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer (Post 1968305)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1967557)
Quote:

Quality, not quantity. :D

Doctor Who gives you both. :)

MeTV just started airing the Adventures of Superman. The pilot was awesome. I did not expect a full origin story with Krypton blowing up. Pretty cool.
MeTV's Saturday lineup is nice. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Followed by Star Trek.

Agent Minivann September 9th, 2014 06:00 PM

The Doctor Who 50 years of history is a little misleading as it was out of production for several years.

Arch-vile September 9th, 2014 06:17 PM

I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Eccleston's run as the Doctor on Netflix. I liked the start, but I don't think the show takes itself seriously enough. It's a fun show but just doesn't have enough to keep me interested.

Tornado September 10th, 2014 10:25 AM

Not taking itself serious is sort of the point. He is a madman in a box. :)
There are serious moments throughout the run. I can see where it can be difficult to get into if you never watched the original series. Back then there was nothing like it.
There was no cable, Netflix, ect. We had four stations(five when Fox started) when I was growing up so Doctor Who was a gem among the fairly cookie cutter programing of network TV.

1Mmirg September 10th, 2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1968375)
I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Eccleston's run as the Doctor on Netflix. I liked the start, but I don't think the show takes itself seriously enough. It's a fun show but just doesn't have enough to keep me interested.

It gets much better. Honestly, the first season was a bit rough and the show takes a bit to get its legs (imo). The show does mature quite well.

Dysole September 10th, 2014 04:32 PM

What You Need To Know

I usually tell people "Either skip the first season and come back to it later since there's some stuff that's helpful or power through it." The change from 1 to 2 is drastic. I love Eccleston but I don't think the show or writers write had it figured out so he suffers a bit in comparison to later doctors.

~Dysole, who needs to go watch more Classic Who

Tornado September 10th, 2014 04:54 PM

I must be weird but I loved Eccleston because he was the first Doctor since Baker who was entertaining. I actually thought no other Doctor or Companion(Rose) would compare to those two. I was so wrong.

chas September 10th, 2014 11:39 PM

[I]Tornado:[/I] Actually, when Eccleston was on, many people shared your opinion. He even resembled Tom Baker physically! And he restarted the franchise, which had been dormant for years.

Aldin September 11th, 2014 09:50 AM

I enjoyed Eccleston and was disappointed when his run ended after only a single season. It took two seasons for David Tennant to really grow on me, but he's now my favorite modern Doctor. Matt Smith never really did it for me.

~Aldin, remembering Baker's Who fondly

Tornado September 11th, 2014 02:46 PM

I felt much the same way Aldin. I think I warmed up to Tennant a little faster than you but I suspect that had more to do with Billie Piper. Amazing how many people dislike her.
Matt Smith grew on me mostly because I was completely enchanted by Karen Gillan.
They really improved the latest version of Who by having a lot of the plot lines revolving around the Companions. I think it really helps the audience identify with them.

I continue to enjoy the original Doctor. I just saw the episode with the first appearance of The Master. At least I think it was The Master, he is never called that but he is a time meddling Time Lord. The first Doctor has a bunch or run-ins with the Daleks.

Dysole September 11th, 2014 02:55 PM

My Opinion

Billie Piper was fine and Rose was certainly enjoyable initially but she started grating on me near the end of Season 2 by basically being a jerk to Mickey and other non Doctor characters. And then

Spoiler Alert!

So yeah. It could just be me but that was my problem.

Smith was the first Doctor I saw and probably the one I identified with the most so that is probably why my own bias leans that way although he has had (I think at least ) the strongest supporting cast of the New Who Doctors.

~Dysole, noting that he has heard that for any element of Doctor Who you can find someone who thinks it's the best thing ever or the worst thing ever

capsocrates September 11th, 2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornado (Post 1968853)
Matt Smith grew on me mostly because I was completely enchanted by Karen Gillan.

I've seen a little of Tennant and a little more of Smith. Gillan is definitely completely charming. My brother is in love with her.

chas September 16th, 2014 06:22 PM

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History by Ken Burns, is a series on Theodore, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt showing 8-10 PM on WNET this week. As usual, most of what you think you know is either wrong or incomplete. Its very good.

As an aside, I heard recently somewhere that an interesting fact lies behind the sentence in the series "at college, Theodore walked in the stoop shouldered manner popular among the wealthy students of his day." It seems that this odd affectation is today the almost unknown basis for a satire that exaggerated it into one of the most famous comedy bits in American film--the duck walk of Groucho Marx.

Tornado September 17th, 2014 12:37 PM

PBS has been playing that heavily lately. I need to catch it before it gets dropped from the rotation. It seems like I am always getting sleepy when it comes on. :)

EDIT: I manged to catch a couple episodes and they were top notch good stuff. I remember doing a report on FDR in middle school and knew so little besides his extended presidency. What an incredible period in US history.
A great man. To keep that beaming grin while enduring the effects of polio is amazing, what courage.

Tornado September 19th, 2014 01:23 PM

I have been watching quite a bit of the Beverly Hillbillies lately and have come to the conclusion that Jed Clampett is a fine example of a human being. Always positive and willing to help others. Even when he disagrees with someone he states it in a non-negative manner, such as "Well, that's not how I would phrase it."
I think we could all try to be a little more like Jed.

Grishnakh September 19th, 2014 09:34 PM

Outlander. Of course you need the Starz channel to see it. What Ron Moore chose to produce after Battlestar Galactica. The books are great fun as well.

G1shark September 19th, 2014 10:47 PM

Outlander is pretty good, shame there is only 2 episodes left. I want my walking dead to come back next month though :(