Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

wulfhunter667 July 29th, 2010 12:30 AM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1159424)
Here's my take on Agent J:
AGENT J
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)
TAUNT 10
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, that opposing figure may only attack Agent J this turn.

NEURALYZER 14
When Agent J is attacked by an adjacent opposing figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 14 or higher, ignore any wounds. The attacking figure's turn ends immediately.

NOISY CRICKET SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, move Agent J 3 spaces in a straight line directly away from the targeted figure. If Agent J's movement is blocked by terrain or another figureany obsticle, roll 1 attack die. A skull rolled counts as one unblockable hit on Agent Jyou must roll one unblockable attack die.

Suggested changes above, but otherwise looks great. ;)

SirGalahad July 29th, 2010 01:43 AM

Whay about Brash as a personality?

The issue with a "Knockback" type ability is that in SuperHeroScape it works only with adjacent attacks, so it is easy to draw a line through the attacking figure through the defending figure and then X spaces in a straight line.

On a ranged attack, there is no such easy straight line. I suppose you could let the opponent decide which straight line to use, but that is risky and can lead to much disagreement.

Balantai July 29th, 2010 11:14 AM

SirGalahad hit the nail on the head. I was a huge part of creating those Knockback rules and there was a lot of talk about how to handle ranged attacks. After much debate, we decided Knockback caused from a range was way too wordy if we wanted to capture every scenario.

Even with your version, you still need to mention leaving engagements, terrain effects and falling damage. Also, what does blocked by any terrain/obsticle mean? Does that refer to an increase in elevation? I think this ability will get way too wordy on a card. You might be able to fit it, but you'll probably have to sacrafice one, if not both, of the other abilities.

For Neuralizer, do you want to restrict it to Unique Heroes, or is the intent for a group of squads to lose their turn if one gets neuralized? Also, does this version of Neuralizer fit the theme from the movies? They did't usually use it as a defense to an attack. I usually try to avoid Order Marker removal abilities, but in this case, it really seems to fit theme perfectly. The targeted figure is forced to forget his orders.

TAUNT 10
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, that opposing figure may only attack Agent J this turnAgent J is the only figure that can be attacked this turn.

I changed the wording because in your version, you're implying that squads aren't effected by saying "figure". If you change it to "figures", you imply that it only effects squads. Therefore, I reworded the power slightly so Agent J is the focus.

Takanuva July 29th, 2010 12:51 PM

Perhaps for Noisy Cricket you could do:

After using this attack, you must move Agent J 3 spaces. On the first move, you may pass over any figures, terrain, or obstacles with a height of 3 or less. On the second move you may pass over any figures, terrain, or obstacles with a height of 2 or less. On the last move you may only move over terrain with a height of 1 or less. Every move you take must leave Agent J one space further from the target than he was before he moved. If this is not possible do to a terrain or obstacle, roll 1 unblockable attack die for every space Agent J did not move away from the target. If you can not move because of another figure, roll an unblockable attack die for every space Agent J did not move away from the target, and place 1 wound on both figures for every skull rolled.

Very wordy again, but it could be trimmed down to just moving him away 3 spaces from the target. Also, you might want to increase the attack to 6 for it, it seems more powerful than a 5 attack, and it has a chance to wound you.

Lamaclown July 29th, 2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1159876)
For Neuralizer, do you want to restrict it to Unique Heroes, or is the intent for a group of squads to lose their turn if one gets neuralized? Also, does this version of Neuralizer fit the theme from the movies? They did't usually use it as a defense to an attack. I usually try to avoid Order Marker removal abilities, but in this case, it really seems to fit theme perfectly. The targeted figure is forced to forget his orders.

Affecting squads can get complicated. If only one squad member is within range of the Neuralizer should the other squad members who may be 8 spaces away be denied a turn? Of course, there is at least one instance of mass neuralizing in the movie.

I would see this as more of a special ability rather than a defensive ability. You know, a "Before taking a turn with Agent J you may..." kind of thing (I think that is what SirGalahad originally suggested).

Just my :2cents:

Hrockle July 29th, 2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGalahad (Post 1159595)
What about Brash as a personality?

Brash! That's the word i was looking for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1159991)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1159876)

Affecting squads can get complicated. If only one squad member is within range of the Neuralizer should the other squad members who may be 8 spaces away be denied a turn? Of course, there is at least one instance of mass neuralizing in the movie.

I would see this as more of a special ability rather than a defensive ability. You know, a "Before taking a turn with Agent J you may..." kind of thing (I think that is what SirGalahad originally suggested).

Just my :2cents:

Or what about being able to rearrange the unrevealed order markers? After all, those affected got an alternative memory, rather than forgetting things entirely. While possibly gamebreaking, it follows a bit more closely to the movie.

SirGalahad July 29th, 2010 02:27 PM

Instead of "remove" the OM, you could just "move" it to another opponent's card, like a toned down version of Reorganized Chaos from C3G Joker.

mac122 July 29th, 2010 10:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look them all over and post a revised version tomorrow. I would have done it today, but I've spent most of the day dealing with HVAC service and sales people. I just love signing papers saying I get the honor of paying $6000 for a new system! Oh joy!:roll: At least this week it's only low 90's instead of upper 90's like last week.

mac122 July 31st, 2010 08:48 AM

Sorry this wasn't up last night. It turned into Lego and Movie night with my youngest. Sometimes a dad has got to do what a dad has got to do.;)
Changed the Personality to Brash. That does fit Agent J better than tricky. I used Balantai's suggestion for Taunt. I've also adjusted Neuralyzer. It's no longer a defensive move - while I don't think the earlier version was unthematic, this version better represents the theme. I chose not to mess with order markers to avoid problems with squad figures. Now it's a move figures around on the battlefield. I took the knockback-style wording out of Noisy Cricket. While it would fit the theme, like someone (Balantai?) said, it would be too wordy to get it represented on the card. The other abilities are too important to lose. The Noisy Cricket was a powerful weapon and should probably be an area effect attack, but I thought it would make Agent J to expensive.
Quote:

AGENT J - Version 2
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
BRASH

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)
TAUNT 10

After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, Agent J is the only figure that can be attacked this turn.

NEURALYZER 14
Instead of attacking with Agent J, you may choose a figure within 3 clear sight spaces. All figures adjacent to the chosen figure are affected by Neuralyzer 14. Roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 14 or higher, you may move all affected figures up to 3 same-level spaces. Affected figures do not take any leaving engagement strikes and may not end their move adjacent to an opposing figure or on a lava space.

Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, roll 1 attack die. A skull rolled counts as one unblockable hit on Agent.
I used Balantai's suggestion for Taunt. I've also adjusted Neuralyzer. It's no longer a defensive move - while I don't think the earlier version was unthematic, this version is closer to theme. I chose not to mess with order markers to avoid problems with squad figures.

Lamaclown July 31st, 2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1161654)
Sorry this wasn't up last night. It turned into Lego and Movie night with my youngest. Sometimes a dad has got to do what a dad has got to do.;)

I can't think of a better reason to not be here. Kudos for having your priorities straight!

Quote:

Quote:

AGENT J - Version 2
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
BRASH

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)
TAUNT 10
After an opponent reveals an Order Marker for a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Agent J, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, Agent J is the only figure that can be attacked this turn.

NEURALYZER 14
Instead of attacking with Agent J, you may choose a figure within 3 clear sight spaces. All figures adjacent to the chosen figure are affected by Neuralyzer 14. Roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 14 or higher, you may move all affected figures up to 3 same-level spaces. Affected figures do not take any leaving engagement strikes and may not end their move adjacent to an opposing figure or on a lava space.

Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, roll 1 attack die. A skull rolled counts as one unblockable hit on Agent.

It is looking good. I don't have time for any more than that right now but i will post more later.

Hrockle July 31st, 2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

It's alright, if it weren't for parents like you, we wouldn't have kids like me.

Quote:

Changed the Personality to Brash.
Yay!

Quote:

The Noisy Cricket was a powerful weapon and should probably be an area effect attack, but I thought it would make Agent J to expensive.
What about knocking the attack to 4, and for adjacent figures, make it 2?

Quote:

AGENT J - Version 2
MOVIES

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
BRASH

MEDIUM 5

LIFE 4

MOVE 6
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 5

POINTS 110(+?)
TAUNT 10

NEURALYZER 14

Range 5. Attack 5.
I would place at him 150 points. High defense, a well powered special and the ability to move up to 7(!) figures, enemy or friendly, on the field. Agent J will be a force to be reckoned with, even if lacking any synergy.

mac122 July 31st, 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrockle (Post 1161784)

Quote:

The Noisy Cricket was a powerful weapon and should probably be an area effect attack, but I thought it would make Agent J to expensive.
What about knocking the attack to 4, and for adjacent figures, make it 2?

If there's a consensus for 4, I don't have a problem with that. However, with a 50% chance of self-injury, I'm not sure how often I'd use a shorter range attack that is only 1 higher than my base attack.
I don't think there was a power setting on the Cricket. Maybe a greater chance of self-injury against an adjacent target? This would help balance out the power of the special and perhaps help Agent J's cost go up a few points less.

Noisy Cricket
Range 5. Attack 5.
After attacking with Noisy Cricket Special Attack, roll 1 attack die or if the target was an adjacent figure, roll 2 attack dice. All skulls rolled count as unblockable hits on Agent J. (wording is a little wonky)

Quote:

I would place at him 150 points. High defense, a well powered special and the ability to move up to 7(!) figures, enemy or friendly, on the field. Agent J will be a force to be reckoned with, even if lacking any synergy.
That's probably closer to where he'll end up.
Thanks for the input!