Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Scapers Online (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   We're Getting Dumber (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=15397)

InfinityMax January 12th, 2008 07:13 PM

We're Getting Dumber

Some of you remember when roleplaying games were the target of a nationwide program of extermination. Jack Chick and a whole load of interfering busybodies started a campaign to make us all think that RPGs were Satan's handbooks. And even the non-churchgoers jumped on board, telling us how only nerds played fantasy games. In high school, half of me wanted to play Runequest, and the other half wanted to change the oil and ride a motorcycle, just so I wasn't a nerd any more.

So we came up with ways to defend the hobby, and a huge argument in our favor was that our games were for smart people. We talked about how we learned problem-solving skills and practiced our math. And so for a while, people assumed that we were smart kids who were going to hell with our pocket protectors.

So what in the name of the RPGA is happening today? If you get on nearly any game forum anywhere, you'll find an overwhelming flood of kids who are not stupid, but are happy to look that way. These lazy sods are more than delighted to write absolute drivel, stringing four or five sentences together with no trace of punctuation or capitalization to be found. Reading their typewritten vomitus requires the Enigma codebreaker, and you have to keep your codebook current because the little reprobates are constantly finding new ways to slaughter the English language.

Even worse than these sloppy underachievers are the people who defend them. Why would someone who actually takes the time to communicate effectively be willing to accept the level of inconsiderate laziness that it takes to abbreviate every fourth word with a single letter? And why do these champions of the oppressed feel the need to side with the jackaninnies who can't figure out that a keyboard is not a cell phone?

I blame videogames. A prepubescent 12-year-old these days can text faster than you can talk, and they play games where they have to chat back and forth in a hurry. I can only imagine the slaughter of grammar that goes on in an MMO or other online game. I'm dismayed enough to hear kids who can't get into a PG-13 movie describing acts of sexual deviancy when I play Halo 3 on Xbox LIVE.

Another contributing factor is the attitude of self-entitlement that the upcoming generation seems to enjoy. These kids believe they deserve the world without any effort. The lack of ambition that it requires to write a lengthy message and never even bother to insert a period is indicative of a group of children who believe we all owe them a living. When they can't even practice the consideration of reaching for the shift key once in a while, they obviously believe they deserve more than they should have to earn.

To make matters worse, the Internet has removed consequences. These children grow up believing that they can get away with whatever they want because nobody knows where they live. When the worst-case-scenario for sloppy posting is that someone asks you to stop, there really is no incentive to change your behavior.

Of course, the defenders of the slothful carry a large amount of blame. Attempts to ask for just a little consideration are met with the kind of scolding usually reserved for adults who beat their children in the supermarket. This defense of purposeful idiocy serves only to guarantee that the kids in question are going to grow up and not know how to write a two-page book report. Colleges are going to scoff when they see these slackers coming, and the misguided fools who stood up for their right to be lazy are not going to be ready to accept any blame for allowing the deliberately stupid among us to establish a pattern of failure.

For a very long time, one of the key defenses of our hobby was that we had to be smarter to play our games. After all, you can't be a mouth-breather if you wade through a 300-page Dungeon Master's Guide. Yet it seems to me that we're losing even that defense. These kids might even be intelligent, but they go so far out of their way to hide it that they're making us all look bad. When the vast majority of emerging gamers can't be bothered to capitalize their own names, we all suffer.

So here's my call to action. If you're one of those lazy punks who thinks it's OK to always talk like you were on your cell phone, stop it and write like you were taught in grade school. And if you're one of those bleeding-heart hippies that thinks kids should be allowed to talk like ill-trained apes, consider exactly who you think you're helping. Because if Johnny can't figure out how to write a complete sentence, how do you suppose he's going to write a cover letter?

Onacara January 12th, 2008 07:16 PM

My response is simply.... :withimax:

Cavalier January 12th, 2008 07:37 PM

Ditto: :withimax:

NecroBlade January 12th, 2008 08:32 PM

:bowdown: :withimax:

Quote:

Because if Johnny can't figure out how to write a complete sentence, how do you suppose he's going to write a cover letter?
Actually, johnny, while one of our younger members, has fooled quite a few of us into believing he was not. Take a lesson, you shiftless cretins.

InfinityMax January 12th, 2008 08:39 PM

I meant Johnny, generic young man, not johnny139, incredibly well-spoken young man.

johnny139 January 12th, 2008 08:46 PM

Yeah, with my name you need to not capitalize the first letter, and mash a bunch of random numbers in the back.

...how ironic.

Grungebob January 12th, 2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The over 30 crowd
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what, with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning .... uphill BOTH ways yadda, yadda, yadda!

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter...with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like ' Space Invaders' and 'asteroids' and the graphics sucked! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your rear and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little snots!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire .... imagine that!
If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!!!!!!!!

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Oh yea, and a seatbelt was Mom throwing her arm across your chest every time she hit the brakes.

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

Onacara January 12th, 2008 09:05 PM

I'm with

:gb:

NecroBlade January 12th, 2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I meant Johnny, generic young man, not johnny139, incredibly well-spoken young man.

I know that, I just forgot to put the ;) at the end.

:gb: I'm not part of that crowd yet, but I would like to see todays little snots try to last five minutes in 1980.

Onacara January 12th, 2008 09:11 PM

1/2 of them wouldn't even last 5 minutes in 1990

guido January 12th, 2008 09:12 PM

y is u lways pikin on da pour spelluhs i dont tink u shud tak lik dat bout peeps u dont even no

No, Seriously, I read most of your post out loud to my sister (an avid online RPer). She simply said, "high five!" and then we proceeded to talk about all the noobs we have... uh... had the pleasure to meet over the years.

robbdaman January 12th, 2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onacara
1/2 of them wouldn't even last 5 minutes in 1990

Yeah I can hear them whining now about 8 bit Nintendo. :lol:

R~